Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2016, 08:00   #16
BHPian

Re: My Duke, my tryst with the rain gods and the ride of my life

Hey rohitoasis,

You told me that there are still flood damaged cars sitting there in your neighbourhood. If it helps, I did restore a flood damaged car with my own hands. It is all documented here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ndai-getz.html

It is reasonably simple but requires that they have some DIY experience. I am happy to help out and answer questions if they need. If they have insurance to claim, just tell them to hire a small lad from the mechanic for a day, make him do all the stuff and make a receipt from the workshop for the money so that you can claim your money back.

Upshot of this procedure, it will be cheap for insurance as well as you (because dealerships usually charge a lot of money for the repairs. So, don't be surprised if they put a final bill of 2 lakhs and you have to pay 80,000 of it)
aveemashfaq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 19:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveemashfaq View Post
Hey rohitoasis,

You told me that there are still flood damaged cars sitting there in your neighbourhood. If it helps, I did restore a flood damaged car with my own hands. It is all documented here.
Just went through your post and it is indeed an awesome endeavor. I wish the car that i feel the most sorry for here had someone as dedicated as you. The i20 which was fully submerged (Was in an apartment which was submerged till 1st Floor) has been left for scavengers here.
Old 22nd March 2016, 19:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Just went through your post and it is indeed an awesome endeavor....
Quoting your post for your attention. Read in your narration of the events below that you had to redline the bike to get out of flooded areas. Ideally the D200, even if the exhaust is submerged and the bike switches off, you can turn it on and it will fire up with the exhaust being submerged under the water. So no need to redline the bike in the first gear. Just FYI and there are quite many videos demonstrating this on youtube.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 20:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Just went through your post and it is indeed an awesome endeavor. I wish the car that i feel the most sorry for here had someone as dedicated as you. The i20 which was fully submerged (Was in an apartment which was submerged till 1st Floor) has been left for scavengers here.
Was it a petrol or a diesel i20? What all did he do? Did he just give up or was the rebuild at service center costing him a lot of time and money? Did the insurance pay him nothing? Is he interested in rebuilding it? Does he have the service manuals with him?

Even my car was submerged till the roof. Any car submerged above the dashboard is potentially the same as completely drowned. And trust me, any car is repairable. It is just a question of how far he wants to repair. He could have a working car with a working engine and a working AC for 40k max(because nothing goes wrong with an engine and you only have to get the ECU mended and it is pointed by some bhpian that it is possible in ritchie street). And when the car is working, he will have to get most of the bearings like tyre bearings replaced. If he wants the power windows, central locking etc to work, it takes more time than effort. To get a working engine, it takes a work of 2-3 days for DIY by ordinary people like us.

I can help him out with clear instructions on what do, If he has the moral confidence to do the project. Please give him my mail and ask him to contact me if he wishes to DIY. Or else tell him that if he is ready to spend 1lakh, he can have the car done as if it just rolled out of the showroom floor. My mechanic will be happy and might offer some discount if you tell him that I recommended him.

It is so disheartening to see such a car go in vain.

aveemashfaq@gmail.com

Last edited by aveemashfaq : 22nd March 2016 at 21:00. Reason: grammar
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:01   #20

Dude , I missed hearing the whole story from you first hand , but this narrative was even better . Penned down well , and on the ride , i would vouch for it any day . I was hoping that the write-up will having something on the third cherished buy of yours.
Old 23rd March 2016, 12:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Quoting your post for your attention. Read in your narration of the events below that you had to redline the bike to get out of flooded areas. Ideally the D200, even if the exhaust is submerged and the bike switches off, you can turn it on and it will fire up with the exhaust being submerged under the water. So no need to redline the bike in the first gear. Just FYI and there are quite many videos demonstrating this on Youtube.
Wow. Did not know this. It was an impulsive reaction by me to rev the nuts out of the bike.
Why this niggling worry was cemented in my mind for the past four months was because, the first question the service centre guy in Kerala asked, after his brief test ride was if the exhaust was submerged in water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveemashfaq View Post
Was it a petrol or a diesel i20? What all did he do? Did he just give up or was the rebuild at service center costing him a lot of time and money? Did the insurance pay him nothing? Is he interested in rebuilding it? Does he have the service manuals with him?

It is so disheartening to see such a car go in vain.

aveemashfaq@gmail.com
I do see this car daily while walking home. It is an i20 CRDI Asta model. Today took the snaps of the car embedded below. I will probably leave a post it note in the car in case he is interested in recovering the car.
My Duke, my tryst with the rain gods and the ride of my life-img_20160323_080430.jpg
My Duke, my tryst with the rain gods and the ride of my life-img_20160323_080441.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningmcq View Post
Dude , I missed hearing the whole story from you first hand , but this narrative was even better . Penned down well , and on the ride , i would vouch for it any day . I was hoping that the write-up will having something on the third cherished buy of yours.
Appreciate the feedback coming from someone who used to ferrry me everywhere around Chennai till i bought the bike and actually came with me while buying the bike. The other partner in crime seems to be missing though.
rohitoasis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 12:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I do see this car daily while walking home. It is an i20 CRDI Asta model. Today took the snaps of the car embedded below. I will probably leave a post it note in the car in case he is interested in recovering the car.
Attachment 1489259
Attachment 1489260
Sure. If he is interested in DIY. Or if he just left the car to rot, why don't you buy it off him and do the repair yourself. 30,000 to 50,000 is the value of the vehicle and it will cost you around 1 lakh to get it repaired in a mechanic shed and make the vehicle brand new. So, expect a brand new second hand vehicle for 1.5 lakhs. (I know I bought getz for 92,000 but the reason for that is my father. The mechanic confirmed that they have sold some SX4 for 50,000)

Of course, you can bring down the cost of 1 lakh rupees down if you take a spanner in your hand.

Some words of caution though
1. don't try to power it up first. First clean all the electrics and then connect a battery. If he tried powering it up before you, don't accept the car even if he gifts it to you.
2. A diesel takes a lot of time to get repaired and some strong hands. Expect a week of DIY to get it working.
3. Realistically, after 1 week of labour, you still have to change engine oil, coolant, brake fluid, transmission oil. So expect a minimum cost of 20,000 to do all of that.
aveemashfaq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 14:35   #23
BHPian

Confession time.

A fall from bike last December had left me immobile for months and had lent the bike to a friend. Got back to trying the bike a while back and was able to spend some time only today. Happened to see both tires having cracks in all the threads. Photographs attached for your review.

My Duke, my tryst with the rain gods and the ride of my life-img_20180927_112127.jpg

My Duke, my tryst with the rain gods and the ride of my life-img_20180927_112146.jpg

I realized i was actually riding onto another accident this way. These tyres are now 6 and half years and 19960 Km old. Have checked with KTM service and they do have tyres available to change.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks