Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2023, 17:25   #1621
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by //R View Post
Next up, fork oil and cone set replacement. Looking to get Maxima 15WT and NTN 30205 bearings. Any suggestions for a marine grease that should be bought along this? I did see Ben's video where he got the cone set replacement done and they applied a good amount of marine grease but don't recall the brand/name of it. What's everyone else doing with their cone sets (replacement & maintenance)? TIA.
I am in same boat as yours. I will be replacing my bearings too. I have purchased Maxima waterproof grease recently, you can go for it too, easily available online.

Are you getting the Maxima Fluid Lubricinol(Green packaging), or Maxima Fork Fluid Racing?
Old 14th June 2023, 23:57   #1622
//R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTab View Post
...Maxima waterproof grease...easily available online.
...Maxima Fluid Lubricinol(Green packaging), or Maxima Fork Fluid Racing?
I'll put the grease in my buying list too. For the fork oil, yes I'll probably blindly go with Ben's recommendation here with the Lubricinol Green package (15). Have you any online buying link for it?
Old 15th June 2023, 08:43   #1623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //R View Post
I'll put the grease in my buying list too. For the fork oil, yes I'll probably blindly go with Ben's recommendation here with the Lubricinol Green package (15). Have you any online buying link for it?
https://shop.motousher.com/products/...c5ac2911&_ss=r

You can also buy other Maxima products from Motousher. If I donít go with Motorex engine oil, I will be buying both the engine oil and fork oil from Motousher only.
Old 21st June 2023, 12:30   #1624
BHPian

Folks, need inputs here.
I am seriously considering changing the front wheel from 21 inches to 19 inches during the next tyre change (in about 5000 KMs). The benefits i can think of is:
  1. Lesser weight, maybe improved mileage
  2. More road feedback or curve hugging..
  3. Lower seat height, means easy to get leg support when needed
My primary purpose of the Himalayan is 80% road touring and remaining trail riding (a Ladakh tour), i don't intend to use it for hardcore offroading.
When i spoke with my SVC, they said it can done and the Scram 411 front wheel should be easy fit.
Couple of things i am concerned about:
  1. Would it affect the suspension behaviour, guess no. But would like to get expert opinions
  2. Speedo error and how to correct it
  3. Any ground clearance issues?
Anyone took this route earlier, any suggestions?
Old 29th June 2023, 20:46   #1625
Team-BHP Support

I picked up handguards from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These were OEM and came in a sealed box.

While my left hand side allen key on the handle bar easily opened up, the left was very badly stuck.

After a couple of attempts the hole for the allen key became useless. I tried hammering in the allen key and after a lot of force, the key would slip instead of making the bolt loosen.

Luckily I had my monkey wrench and used it directly on the end weight. This freed up the bolt.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-b1.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-b2.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-b3.jpg
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 20:00   #1626
BHPian

Just saw that Dismotech has launched tubeless spokes for the Himalayan and the Scram. I've only heard poor reviews about them, has anyone here tried this out?

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-screenshot-20230708-195633.png

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuKP5...RlODBiNWFlZA==

The only other alternative I've come across are the rims from Excel but damn its expensive!

https://lrlmotors.com/products/himal...-spoked-wheels
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 11:53   #1627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
Just saw that Dismotech has launched tubeless spokes for the Himalayan and the Scram. I've only heard poor reviews about them, has anyone here tried this out?

Attachment 2473483

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuKP5...RlODBiNWFlZA==

The only other alternative I've come across are the rims from Excel but damn its expensive!

https://lrlmotors.com/products/himal...-spoked-wheels

I have. Poor finish on the wheels. I got it repainted, and will have to eventually get them anodized. As for performance, they seem to be holding up well. I got them for my Interceptor, in 18 inch size. The new rims are said to be anodized. So, they may be better finished.

Dismotech take very long to deliver after paying in full. They have shoddy mechanics (who get the rims fitted on to the tyre outside, and get them scratched) if you choose to fit it at their outlet.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 18:18   #1628
BHPian

I don't know if its just me but I just discovered that the switchable ABS switch works on my bike. All these days I thought that you had to keep holding the switch down till the light starts flashing. But no. You have to release it immediately after about 5 seconds, and only then does it work! Either I'm stupid or RE should have mentioned this somewhere (Maybe they did and I missed it), but my god I'm happy
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 15:23   #1629
BHPian

Re: A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan

Nice updates and pictures, I should consider a trip to Belur-Halebidu but putting it off because of the relatively less distance and the effort of taking off riding gear in such sunny weather.

Ghata is doing the usual nearby city duties, now shared with my brothers Ntorq for longer city runs, with an Independence Day ride with Bangalore Bikers to Prime Living, Malur - 150 km short ride where we got to see some 20+ Himmys, 3 GSAs and the standout - a S1000RR with an Akra full system.

The standout was a 6 day, 1730 km round trip to Kerala which I had been intending to do for a long time - my last was to Valparai in February beginning and the itch for a multi day ride was never more stronger. Seeing a lesser km reading (1400 km in 4 months) was becoming more commonplace - keep hustling! is my motto when it comes to rides. Riding gear in the corner and the Element tailbag when I look at them - devre, yenilli? (Legend, what you doing here?). Breakfast rides are nice, yes - but I have covered almost every breakfast place and every state highway in Karnataka in the 200-300 km round trip, which is well - what is a decent trip before it gets very hot as it’s not a very fast bike. I love long distance touring now and meeting new folks, traditions and other passionate bikers and understanding the biking scene there and I had not visited Kerala since December 2018 when I did the Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram - Trivandrum - Kovalam circuit for a week with my family - so why not!

Plans were made starting from Mangaluru to Varkala - each day halt at a different Zostel/hostel on the route - but the reports of unseasonal rain and humid weather made me pine for the mountainside a bit - enter Munnar! I had not been there and this was a great opportunity to atleast check it out. Hence, looking at the availability of beds in Zostels in the towns (I am more of a hostel guy as a hotel room and a comfortable bed will never make me step out into the town but safe parking was a must as my new luggage setup demanded it) the plan was made! Bengaluru- Munnar - Vagamon - Alleppey - Varkala - Bengaluru, with a buffer day at Varkala for rest. As you can see, the trip was to ride and relax rather than stay for multiple days and visit viewpoints or tourist attractions (which I did in the time I could).

Owing to the nearly 1200 km of twisties and single lane roads, my luggage setup had to be such that the bike could corner and dip either side relatively easily. Hence decided to take my top box and tailbag both, top box as usual at the back and only light items like a takeaway gym bag with chargers and toiletries, shoes and water bottle were kept there, or used to store away my riding gear at viewpoints while the tailbag was strapped on to the bike, loaded with clothes and the other side pockets for any small items and covered with a rainproof cover all the time and not removed until I got home. This worked excellently for me as it looked commonplace and no fear of theft and I could just take what I wanted and cover it back.

Day 1 - Bengaluru to Munnar - 500 km day. 530 am start - was at Sai Sangeet Thoppur by 830 am after a quick tea break at Krishnagiri toll. Nice breakfast of idli vade and pooris. Stopped next at Mettur Dam after the left at Omalur, had a brief look and left again for the Veerappan memorial nearby. Then rode upto the TN/KL border, crossing Erode and Udumalpet with stops for hydration, fuel and lunch at a small place in a border village. The fuel economy was great! 33.65 due to a combination of single lane and 100 kmph at max on the expressway. I recommend to try these small places for lunch as the meals are extremely tasty and economical and veg only (if you’re very particular about that). Reached Zostel Munnar at 5 pm after stopping at Anaimudi and a couple of other places for photos and just admiring the sights in general, particularly through the Annamalai tiger reserve. Called it a day after visiting the pothamedu and second mile viewpoint, had noodles for dinner at Kurinji cafe and some buttermilk.

Day 2 - Up by 630 am after a good rest, after me and a couple of others badgering the manager for tea was taken in his Alto to a nearby tea shop. One major disadvantage is these hostels are located a km away from the main road inside the plantations almost and service doesn’t start until 9, not even tea! the hot crispy vade and tea is something you should not miss in the old weather. These Altos are 15+ years old yet such capable performers.
Visited the Gap road later and I enjoyed it immensely, exploring the cornering ability of the Himalayan and the stunning views of those forests, hills and tea estates! Came back for the buffet breakfast, checked out to head to Vagamon. Visited the Ribbon Waterfalls and Cardamom hills and rode on to Vagamon - a 3 hour ordeal through unruly buses, autos and pedestrians through the broken small roads. One dangerous element through those small roads is a 1 feet deep cement trough/drain like structure which runs across the road and the depth is almost indiscernible in the afternoon sun - one had me unseated, the other threw me in the air a couple of feet due to the soft suspension, both at 40 kmph! Look out for them. Checked into Zostel Vagamon, visited vattakapara viewpoint in the evening around 15 km away from the hostel and called it a day, meeting some others who had come there on a MT15, matte black CL500, and Duke 200/390. Kerala truly has a great young bunch of motorcyclists.

To be continued!

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 3rd September 2023 at 15:25.
100Kmphormore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 00:23   #1630
BHPian

Did a solo road trip in August from Ahmedabad to Noida in anticipation of doing a repeat for the MotoGP event.

Ahmedabad - Pushkar - Noida - Mathura - Udaipur - Ahmedabad.

The Himalayan rear stock Ceat Tyre was worn out so replaced it with the same OE tyre before I left. The front looks good for another 8k kilometers or so.

The rains took a heavy toll on me between Pushkar to Noida. Low visibility, enhanced braking distances and incessant rain - sometimes I doubted what I was doing but now when I am safely back home, I look back and think that I am grateful I had the strength to go on.
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img20230903wa0014.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img20230903wa0004.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-20230826_061640.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-20230826_130205.jpg  

Last edited by rahul4321 : 17th September 2023 at 00:33.
rahul4321 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 14:35   #1631
BHPian

Re: A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan

So much for deciding (and subsequently procrastinating on the inevitable posting with work standing like the Great Wall of China) that I would update the details of Day 3,4,5,6 of my Kerala ride within a month of the first post (which expired on October 3) or worse, before the next weekend ride, again happened last weekend
Without further ado, lets continue!

Day 3 - Vagamon sightseeing and onto Alleppey
It was an early morning start to visit the Thangalppara viewpoint for the sunrise, the resting place of a Sufi saint. Left at 545 after waiting up for a friend and thanks to a spectacular failure of offline Google Maps, it showed an "offroad trail" shortcut which was nothing but a small hillock blasted to pieces to make way for the construction of a new resort and we couldnt turn around our bikes in time due to the huge stones to make it for the view, so off we went walking. What was supposed to be a 600m walk turned into a 3 km hike, missing the sunrise - well we did catch the later minutes at a very scenic place called Echo viewpoint, while the friend and his partner had a photo session.

We then rallied on to the Thangalppara only to find out it wouldnt open until 9. Localites had told us its a great sunrise viewpoint. Thought of waiting it out but they had got hungry and had to head back the 3 km, turnaround the bikes (no mean feat) and get back to a local cart near the hostel, where we had some idiyappam and appam and headed back by 930. Rested for some time and checked out at 11 to visit the Vagamon Meadows and Pine Forest, both fine sights but too crowded.

Also wanted to visit the Glasshouse but gave up as it was almost 1 pm and I had to head to Alleppey after that and the heat was oppressive, being in full gear. It was a lovely ride through the forests until they started disappearing about 50 km later, the roads also improved. Thankfully, the roads were empty due to Onam and it was a spirited 2 hour, 104 km ride to there. Checked into the Zostel bang on the beach at 330 pm, had a bun-tea, and headed out in the evening, visited the Alleppey lighthouse and enjoyed the sunset on the beach. Dinner was at Cafe Catamaran, a stones throw away from the hostel. Nice pizza and a chocolate milkshake. Chatted up with some of the folks who were partying in the hostel and called it a day before they got too crazy

Day 4 - Alleppey to Varkala
Was a pretty relaxed early morning sunrise on the beach with no agenda for the day to see any places except perhaps Munroe island and then get to Varkala as there was nothing else that interested me. It was also getting a little tiring due to lack of proper food and sleep and the humid weather (food is going to be an issue if you havent been out of Karnataka before. Idlis, extremely popular here as a light breakfast was a rarity in Kerala.)

Checked out and went to Madras Veg Tables, a "proper food" place recommended by the zostel manager previously after hearing my bun-tea story . My Himmy fully loaded looked like a GSA amidst the numerous MT15s, R15s and Classics and warranted a discussion almost at every place I took a break.It did not disappoint. Had a filling breakfast of 2 idlis and plate of poori-bhaji. Proceeded onto Munroe Island, 25 km from Kollam town and loved the little quaint villages and the breathtaking views of the canal (there is also the option of a cruise for a group of 3 or more).

Was at Zostel Varkala at 1330 (again, just opposite the Black Sands Beach). Headed out with some fellow Zostelites to Chimney, a recommended non veg for their enjoyment, while the herbivore me ordered a roti curry and some gobi manchurian. It was delicious - vegetarians, take note - most other restaurants will not be to your taste, especially that maida parotta (saw other fellow vegetarians complaining at the helpdesk that even the Zostel in house kitchen was terribel) or its mostly non veg except the pastas or pizzas at the cafes by Varkala Cliff.

Rested for a while and headed out in the evening to the Varkala Cliff, above the Varkala Beach. Its truly a view that I rode for and had wanted to see since we had to cancel visiting Varkala previously. Checked out a few shops and cafes and found nothing worthwhile taking back. Same goes for the Black Sand beach. Enjoyed the sunset (by now you must know I am a beach/mountains guy). Chilled out on the terrace with some partying guys, all from various parts of India. The perspective you get in meeting them is a case of I had read that vs what it is actually in a wide spectrum. Called it a night after some tasteless dosha and a great chocolate cone (thanks Amul for coming to the rescue!) at a nearby roadside "cafe".

Day 5 - Jatayu Earths Centre and rest day
It had been an engaging yet awesome 4 days and 1000 km on the road and it was starting to show its effects. Had a great sleep and a slow start. Headed out to the Jatayu center at around 10 am, 30 km away from Varkala which can be done in 45 mins.
The entrance looks like a grand IT park and is kept very clean. Purchased the tickets for the cable car ride and the entrance fee (Rs.295 and 315 respectively) and is CASH ONLY. The interior looks like an airport with a food court. The only other experience of the cable car I can think of is the Sentosa island in Singapore. The views around during the 8 minute ride is great, especially when you approach that statue. Truly magnificent in size and form, especially the eye that keeps shining. Marvellous piece of engineering that is aptly described on the boards there, lining out the challenges and struggles to get to the finish.

We got back to the entrance building after an hour on the top and had a great veg meal at Hotel Suprabhaata on the way back, originally recommended by a local for their Onam Sadya but wasnt available. Not even anywhere else. Had a look at the Janardhana swamy temple and got back. Pretty much end of my itenarary and another evening beach visit and a pasta dinner at a cafe called Sandy beach cafe. I had seen a mention of Trip is Life cafe on shyamg28s Varkala travelogue and they didnt have the pizza that I prefer, but the ambience and scenery is excellent.

Day 6 - Return to Bengaluru
This was going to be the longest and most exciting day so far for me on the saddle (688 km). I have done the same to kanyakumari (700 km) but in our Scorpio. 500 km days are commonplace now but this had a new addition to test - the Touring seat. Started at 6 am after waiting out a heavy 30 min drizzle and was at Thenmala by 730. One tea break and I crossed over to Tamilnadu by 815 am. Was at Madurai bypass by 1045, the full 238 km stretch being single lane and under road widening work, turning worse after crossing the border, careless village folk all over the road. Had breakfast at Rich Class Veg near Vadipatti at 1130 and stopped at Sri Sai Vihar at 1500 for lunch and a nap of 30 minutes in the AC section above. The silky smooth NH44 was effortless, maintaining 100 kmph effortlessly. Thought of trying out Radisson Salem for the night due to the oppressive heat and traffic as KarthikK had described, but the nap and lunch break recharged me and rode back home without any issues, only stopping for a strong evening filter kaapi at Saravana Bhavan Krishnagiri.

One word of praise for the Touring seat - fantastic! The 3D cushion is so good that it doesnt compress as easily and shields from the frame vibrations. It made this 1730 km memorable. At the end of Day 6, I didnt have any pain in my buttocks, only some friction skin burns due to the inefficient black Raida inner liner that traps heat immediately. A good synthetic inner liner like Uniqlo is on my radar for next longer trips like these. I fell in love even more with Ghata as she crossed the 17k and 18k milestones on this ride taking all sorts of roads in her stride - the perfect all rounder with less power and brakes being its Achilles heel. The upcoming 450 has gigantic shoes to fill. Riding gear only made the experience more comfortable and the confidence to push the bike and I find I need to get a helmet intercom and a better helmet, probably the MT Thunder 4 or the AGV K3.

As I compile this, I am in awe over how much effort it takes. Just typing this took me almost 2 days - 3 hours a day to remember and mention the details - its a ton of effort to create travelogues or ownership reviews with brilliant pictures. Hence I did have to share my experience too, after consulting many other threads for the ride. Excuse the absence of pics as my schedule is hectic and I like to write. Hope you enjoyed the read! Will be back with details of my last 871 km weekender to Sonda. After that she stands at 19350 km presently.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 18th October 2023 at 14:46.
100Kmphormore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 13:11   #1632
BHPian

Has anybody had this problem of dust entering the speedo console? If you can see, there are some salt like sprinkles at the bottom of the speedo where the "Side Stand" text is displayed and around that entire area.

The entire speedo console is closed by the silver ring like structue so I am not really sure how the dust entered inside the console in the first place - if it is indeed dust.
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-20231101_124848.jpg  

Old 1st November 2023, 13:20   #1633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
Has anybody had this problem of dust entering the speedo console? ... - if it is indeed dust.
Could be dried out condensation with dust dissolved in it. Leaving marks/residue.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 00:48   #1634
BHPian

I have been getting google alerts for the Himalayan 450 articles. Some of them say the 411 is going to be discontinued. Is this true or just speculation? Did Sid Lal announce this in Manali? I love my 411- its like my Bolero DI; keeps chugging along but I am concerned about the availability of spares 5-6 years down the line. Its not a 350 UCE which has sold in hundreds of thousands; but more like thousands.

The spares it uses; like the tall front suspension as an example is not used in any other RE.

I get it serviced outside RE anyway as I know someone but that guy procures spares OTC from RE dealerships.

I am struggling now to get spares for my 2011 Electra 350 UCE so i shudder to think what will happen to the 411. Just recently, A new Fuel Tank (to replace the old one which has rusted from inside), the same spec Battery and the front suspension rubber seal was tough to find for the Electra.

This is me and the Electra when I was younger
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img20231023wa0000.jpg  

Last edited by rahul4321 : 6th November 2023 at 01:15.
rahul4321 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 06:25   #1635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
This is me and the Electra when I was younger
So nice to be young and not get overly anal about the latest and greatest in terms of motorcycle luggage and how to tie it and where to tie it. How high. How low. How wide. How many buckles. How many straps. Center of gravity. Balance. Fatigue. How many liters. Waterproof or resistant. Dry bags versus rain covers. Ripstop nylon. Double locked sealed stitching.

P.S. You still get spares, albeit down to a trickle, for the Bullet 500. Which moght have sold in total, worldwide, how many Himalayans there are on rental in Manali alone.

Cheers, Doc

Most Viewed