Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2017, 15:29   #526
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Got my vehicle back today. RE engineers, who inspected the bike said that there is no issue with the engine. The SA said that they had made a few adjustments, cleaned air filter, torqueing of bolts. I could notice that they have played around with the idling.

Drove around 20 kms and noticed the whisk whisk noise is not there anymore. The misfiring has come down quite a few but not completely gone. The vehicles revs a bit more freely now.

Will be riding more over the weekend and hopefully things the whisk whisk noise does not re-appear. Wondering where to arrange for the crash guard
The "whisk whisk" noise occurs if the valve clearance setting is too tight. Tighter valve clearance puts pressure on the rocker arm which makes the noise. Best solution is to have a slightly higher valve clearance and make sure that the arm is freed from this pressure. The Flipside to this however is a noisy clattering engine especially when you rev it from a lower rpm. This clattering is something you can get used to but not the whisk whisk noise. So, you win some and you lose some

I'm not sure if you are aware of this or have already gotten it done. The hard gear shift prob has been completely solved on my bike with the installation of a modified replacement clutch assembly. Gear shifts are smooth on my bike just like on any other bike. Even a couple of my other fellow Himalayan owners have gotten it done after test riding my bike and its worked well for them as well. You might wanna check with your service Center for the replacement clutch assembly. Couple this with the extra length thunderbird clutch cable and a '3mm clutch lever play' and I can assure you that you will be seeing the back of your gear shift problems real soon.
sdubey23 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 12:35   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubey23 View Post
est solution is to have a slightly higher valve clearance and make sure that the arm is freed from this pressure. The Flipside to this however is a noisy clattering engine especially when you rev it from a lower rpm....

You might wanna check with your service Center for the replacement clutch assembly. Couple this with the extra length thunderbird clutch cable and a '3mm clutch lever play' and I can assure you that you will be seeing the back of your gear shift problems real soon.
Thank you. The whisk whisk noise is gone and looks like they have adjusted the clearing. The clatter is hardly noticeable. The idling was close to 2K when the engine gets heated up and have brought it down to 1.2k when heated up.

Isn't the replacement of clutch assembly for the older batch of the vehicles. Mine is from Dec 2016 batch and shouldn't it have the newer clutch?. x. My clutch is not tight but the gear shift between 1-2 is very hard though precise. Neutral is easy when I switch off the engine than while running . Will try to switch to a TB or classic's cable during the first service which is 150 kms away.
Old 2nd January 2017, 23:59   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Thank you. The whisk whisk noise is gone and looks like they have adjusted the clearing. The clatter is hardly noticeable. The idling was close to 2K when the engine gets heated up and have brought it down to 1.2k when heated up.

Isn't the replacement of clutch assembly for the older batch of the vehicles. Mine is from Dec 2016 batch and shouldn't it have the newer clutch?. x. My clutch is not tight but the gear shift between 1-2 is very hard though precise. Neutral is easy when I switch off the engine than while running . Will try to switch to a TB or classic's cable during the first service which is 150 kms away.
Not really sure if they installed the replacement clutch assembly on newer models. Mine was bought in May. From what you are saying the clutch assembly needs replacement on your bike though. You can visit Koramangala service center next to Jyothi Nivas college. I got mine done there and they did a good job. Pramod who is the service manager there is very friendly knows about all the Himalayan issues and has resolved everything on mine and three other friends' bikes. Just give him the bike n tell him the issues he will get almost everything resolved. Trust me, it feels like a new bike altogether post the replacement. You should visit them once. Give Pramod my reference and he'll know exactly what to do on the bike.
sdubey23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 20:37   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Not really sure if they installed the replacement clutch assembly on newer models. Mine was bought in May. From what you are saying the clutch assembly needs replacement on your bike though. You can visit Koramangala service center next to Jyothi Nivas college. I got mine done there and they did a good job. Pramod who is the service manager there is very friendly knows about all the Himalayan issues and has resolved everything on mine and three other friends' bikes. Just give him the bike n tell him the issues he will get almost everything resolved. Trust me, it feels like a new bike altogether post the replacement. You should visit them once. Give Pramod my reference and he'll know exactly what to do on the bike.
Thanks. I am in Chennai though but your info will be useful for Bangalore bhpians and other forum lurkers

If I recall correctly from a few ownership threads, the replacement clutch was provided for vehicles whose number was prior to a certain VIN. My vehicle is from the Dec batch much later than the VIN

I got my vehicle back after first service. The clutch is lighter, the gear shifts a tad easier and the vehicles revs much more freely. Engine noise is gone except for the non rhythmic Phat phat sound from the exhaust when I leave the throttle at around 2.5-3K RPM to decelerate . There is no misfiring or such sound while opening the throttle or while running. The service manager stated that it is common with Himalayan exhausts due to the higher compression engine and there is no misfiring in the engine while running. I noticed something similar in another Himalayan that had come for service but did not notice it in my test ride vehicle.
Old 7th January 2017, 08:23   #530
BHPian

Quote:
The "whisk whisk" noise occurs if the valve clearance setting is too tight. Tighter valve clearance puts pressure on the rocker arm which makes the noise. Best solution is to have a slightly higher valve clearance and make sure that the arm is freed from this pressure. The Flipside to this however is a noisy clattering engine especially when you rev it from a lower rpm. This clattering is something you can get used to but not the whisk whisk noise. So, you win some and you lose some
Is this "Normal for RE bikes" or is this "Normal for bikes"? Just wondering whether this is to be expected from a modern engine like the Himalayan's.
Old 13th January 2017, 16:58   #531
BHPian

Went through an excellent review of the Himalayan.
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...ield-himalayan

The reviewer reminds me of Dilip Bam. Fun to read
sreejith.pish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 20:59   #532
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review. However if living in the mountains, there are probably three bikes I would choose from. The hero impulse, the himalayan, and of course the Duke 390.

Blasphemy on this thread, but I think I would still tend to the Duke 390 slightly modified for adventure duty (knobbies, bar risers, lowered Offroad pegs, windscreen, rear luggage rack, and a goddamn gel seat) and still be the merrier. The Duke just sounds like a lighter, cheaper, all purpose motorcycle.

Until the adv variant comes out ofcourse.

Last edited by Red Liner : 13th January 2017 at 21:02.
Old 16th January 2017, 16:01   #533
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the Himalayan with ABS and fuel injection will be here pretty soon:

http://autoblogindia.com/royal-enfie...tion-launched/
Old 18th January 2017, 11:16   #534

Two days ago, I made a booking for Himalayan(Snow White), and I was informed that I would be getting the delivery of the vehicle in the first week of Feb’17. Later, I went through some posts in Team BHP, and found out that the existing version of Himalayan is only BS-3 compliant and the manufacturer is expected to release a new BS-4 as to comply the norms from Apr’17. And also, I learned about the new Himalayan launched in UK, Euro-4 compliant, with EFI and ABS as standard. I’m just pondering whether the same variant will be released in India as well, If yes, then I would postpone my purchase.
Old 20th January 2017, 14:08   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Looks like the Himalayan with ABS and fuel injection will be here pretty soon:

http://autoblogindia.com/royal-enfie...tion-launched/
If RE discontinues the carb version of the Himalayan, I would have to remove it from my list of possible replacements of my Duke 200. Adding FI to the mix is a bad idea for a bike like this which is all about going back to basics. More things to worry about breaking down. Maybe RE's FI will be more reliable than KTM's. I have gone through two fuel pumps and one throttle body within 36000 km on my Duke.
Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 18:56   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Is this "Normal for RE bikes" or is this "Normal for bikes"? Just wondering whether this is to be expected from a modern engine like the Himalayan's.
It is normal for any other OHC bike that was manufactured before the 1990's I guess And RE's Himalayan engine is not 'modern' in any sense except only when compared to existing RE models. This type of engine was created and manufactured by Yamaha, Suzuki and everyone many decades ago; even as early as the 1980's.

Unfortunately, even with so much information available on OHC engines from many decades, RE has failed to put together a good engine. No, I'm not talking about the power out put figures, which I really am ok with frankly. Just disappointed that RE couldn't pull off a a simple decent happy sounding single cylinder carb engine. It's the simplest of motorcycle technologies really, compared to what's out there today. It was a good chance for them to show they can evolve and they blew it with the poorly designed, low quality engine components. Add to this, their inefficient and pathetic assembly line. They did a crappy job of the whole engine n gear assembly. The oil leaks n the noise from the engine just makes me wanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
If RE discontinues the carb version of the Himalayan, I would have to remove it from my list of possible replacements of my Duke 200. Adding FI to the mix is a bad idea for a bike like this which is all about going back to basics. More things to worry about breaking down. Maybe RE's FI will be more reliable than KTM's. I have gone through two fuel pumps and one throttle body within 36000 km on my Duke.
RE's fuel pumps have failed multiple times on their Classic 500 line up. They fail abruptly around 50 - 60k kms of riding and it has happened to literally every classic 500 owner I personally know. So, I'm not sure if RE has anything better to offer in this department. If it's back to basics and rough bike for the mountains, I suggest a Hero impulse any day.

Last edited by ajmat : 23rd January 2017 at 19:02.
sdubey23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 09:09   #537
Team-BHP Support

Had a swing with the RE Himalayan and it stands right there with the upcoming Yamaha 250 going to be launched today as far as the cut off list goes for my next purchase. I just loved the way it rode. Doesn't feel like an RE. The amount of fun you can have would have been greater if it had at least 10PS of more power.

When is the Efi being launched and would it be worth the gamble? More so, the Efi being from RE. I am not looking forward for the ABS equipped version as I found the brakes to be ok, neither grabby/sharp or ineffective.
Old 25th January 2017, 03:15   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

When speaking of ABS, remember, it does not make the brakes more powerful.

It senses if a wheel completely stops rotating while braking.
If the wheel does completely stop and begins to skid, the ABS engages to reduce the braking force that is being applied to that wheel (while maintaining the full braking force on the other wheel).
By reducing the braking force on the skidding wheel, it will begin to rotate again allowing the rider to fully control the motorcycle.

As most motorcycle riders know, if the front wheel does stop rotating while the motorcycle is still moving it almost always results in loosing control and a crash, usually a "high side" crash, that throws the rider to the ground. This is very hard on the motorcycle and the rider. Been there, done that.

While having the front wheel skid on good, hard tarmac almost never happens it is very possible on wet or muddy or sandy surfaces or in loose dirt.

Being designed for use in off road situations where all of these things are common, ABS on the Himalayan would provide a great bonus. One that probably should have been part of the original design.

As for fuel injection, I am a great fan of it.
That said, the simplicity of a carburetor and a gravity fed fuel system does have its merits.

Perhaps Royal Enfield will market the fuel injected version in India but I suspect it is aimed primarily at meeting the stringent anti-pollution laws for sales in Europe and the USA.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 25th January 2017 at 03:18.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 10:08   #539

This happened on my friends Himalayan. We were not able to start the engine early morning when temperatures were low at our camping site. The starter motor would run freely but there was no action on the crank. We assumed that some gear between the motor and the crank might have slipped. There was no grinding noise either. Tried to push start the bike but it would not fire and eventually got rich. Couldn't even check the spark because some genius at RE decided to part ways with a kicker, Thanks RE

So we decided to push the bike for 10kms to the nearest mechanic. Identified that the flywheel(freewheel) nut was loose and wasn't turning with the crankshaft. After tightening it the engine fired up without any hesitation.

After another day of riding we checked into a hotel. Next morning the same problem appeared. The motor was spinning freely again with no action on the crank!

Pushed the bike to a local RE expert. He tightened the flywheel bolt but the starter motor was still running freely without cranking the engine. He removed the LHS engine cover, removed the flywheel and was shocked to see that the flywheel key which mates the flywheel to the crankshaft has split in half

Luckily the guy was able to source a key nearby and the issue was fixed.

So, I am assuming that the flywheel nut came loose after a hard day of riding followed by low temperatures at our camping site and when the 1st mechanic tightened the nut it wasn't torqued to spec and somewhere somehow the flywheel key split in half overnight when temperatures went low

Attaching pictures,
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20170115_08313201.jpeg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20170115_09285901.jpeg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20170115_08443501.jpeg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd February 2017 at 18:02. Reason: Rephrasing "crashed into a hotel" :D
KA09_BIKER_GPER is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:44   #540
BHPian

What are the implications of buying the BS-3 Himalayan now? I'm dreading the electronics a.k.a. EFI in the next version. Bowled by the looks, but still treading carefully.
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks