Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2017, 14:39   #616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
He does say no money paid but, he is speaking like an employee of RE
Well, as a 'actual' owner rather than a 'loaded' one, I see sometimes on this forum, I concur with every word said in that video to the T.

And I too am not paid a cent by Royal Enfield, LMAO. Why, RE, why? Why don't you pay us something (pun intended)?

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 4th May 2017 at 14:44.
Old 4th May 2017, 16:16   #617
Senior - BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Well I feel the difference between RE and other manufacturers like Triumph, HD and the sort (if I daresay compare 'em) is that all of the others have few lemons/bad QC'ed products but RE has few good ones if the sample set is considered.

P.S : This is just an opinion of mine seeing the number of issues faced the members of the forum (and few other forums) across the categories of bikes. Only thing is that if it happens in an RE the cost of maintenance is cheaper.

But having said that I might still buy an RE as that is the only vintage motorcycle that I could afford to buy.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 20:43   #618
BHPian

I am not a lover or a hater but I own a himalayan. I have done 5 700km+ trips on it. It has clunky gears, service quality is poor, heats up quite a bit, light is poor and a lot of rough edges. Having said that

- has never let me down
- gone to places where my friends on KTM, dominar were not too sure
- rain, slush, western Ghats, bangalore traffic is all fine all day every day
- so comfortable in highways, lowways and noways. After 700kms ina day when my friends fret, my back end is still good to go and there is a fight to ride an himalayan
- pillions are treated as humans

It is my daily rider in bangalore (stopped using my car), my highway rider and brings a smile to my face. Will put my money in it all over again. OK, when a BMW GS 300 or a versys 300 arrives I would jump to them until then....Long live my himalayan
rohing is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 11:49   #619
BHPian

Looks like RE has finally woken up to much of the criticism and has responded to the online petition which was signed by as many as 775 people

Quote:
Royal Enfield replies to online petition against Himalayan
Royal Enfield has responded to complaints with regard to quality, dependability and service issues where the Himalayan is concerned.

One of the Himalayan owners, Dhruv Chauhan started an online petition on Change.org to bring Royal Enfield’s attention towards his problems. With the petition already signed by 775 owners of Himalayan, Royal Enfield has officially replied to the petition and pledged to solve all the problems.

Dhruv has updated the petition stating that he has received a call from RE, and had a meeting with Regional Service Manager of Maharashtra and Goa, Mr. Pravin Dusane. In the meeting, Mr Dusane has “promised to take the responsibility of all the problems you are facing. He will get it rectified whether you are from Maharashtra or outside of Maharashtra. He will make sure you all have a problem free bike. There are latest modified parts available now which have solved all the previous problems.”

For those who are still facing issues with their Himalayan, Dhruv has asked them to mail their problems directly to Mr Dusane at psdusane@royalenfield.com

**Please mention your city , state and mobile number in the Email.**
Source
vin_b is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 16:52   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin_b View Post
Looks like RE has finally woken up to much of the criticism and has responded to the online petition which was signed by as many as 775 people
Source
Good and happy to see RE responding to customer issues. Hope RE bucks up and solves all the issues faced by the riders since the Himalayan is such a wonderful concept. My experience with RE says, never buy one from the initial lot. The CL500 that I had, served me very well for two years without a single breakdown.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 5th May 2017 at 16:54.
Old 5th May 2017, 22:27   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
I am not a lover or a hater but I own a himalayan. I have done 5 700km+ trips on it. It has clunky gears, service quality is poor, heats up quite a bit, light is poor and a lot of rough edges. Having said that

- has never let me down
- gone to places where my friends on KTM, dominar were not too sure
- rain, slush, western Ghats, bangalore traffic is all fine all day every day
- so comfortable in highways, lowways and noways. After 700kms ina day when my friends fret, my back end is still good to go and there is a fight to ride an himalayan
- pillions are treated as humans

It is my daily rider in bangalore (stopped using my car), my highway rider and brings a smile to my face. Will put my money in it all over again. OK, when a BMW GS 300 or a versys 300 arrives I would jump to them until then....Long live my himalayan
I think this is the most apt post reg the Himalayan. I echo your description, it's not that bad a bike just some irritating issues. RE is trying to solve them and I'll give them that, that's the reason I haven't sold mine as yet. Once the bike settles down it'll be a joy to ride and own 100%
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 21:19   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
I think this is the most apt post reg the Himalayan. I echo your description, it's not that bad a bike just some irritating issues. RE is trying to solve them and I'll give them that, that's the reason I haven't sold mine as yet. Once the bike settles down it'll be a joy to ride and own 100%
Is there an option for having extended warranty or AMC for RE bikes?

I am circling rounds between Mojo, Benelli TNT25 and Himalayan.
If I put the feature set asides, the positive on the TNT25 and Mojo is that even though they too have considerable niggles but the 4 and 5 year warranty from respective brands (compared to 2 year from RE) gives buyer an additional assurance.
Old 7th May 2017, 10:05   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post

If I put the feature set asides, the positive on the TNT25 and Mojo is that even though they too have considerable niggles but the 4 and 5 year warranty from respective brands (compared to 2 year from RE) gives buyer an additional assurance.
Not that I know of , I doubt RE would risk that lol
Old 7th May 2017, 11:33   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Not that I know of , I doubt RE would risk that lol
They set up a service center right next to where I live. Wow betide them :-P.

I am known to camp at service centers if need be. I had to do that for my Swift and it now purrs more often than it belches. Frankly, I see no difference between an 800 DX from Maruti and the Himalayan. You need to nurture both :-P
Old 7th May 2017, 11:35   #625
BHPian

Each one's bike is unique. Somebody might've got the best running bike. Somebody might've got a bike with some small niggles. Somebody might've got a bike which breaks down every now and then. Just because someone's bike is problem-free does not mean that others' problems are to be rubbished. Even if only one bike has a problem, that customer's perspective / opinion of the company is shaped by his / her own experience with the bike. That's the ONLY experience the customer can / will share with others. Anybody else's good experience can never replace that customer's bad experience.

-- someone waiting for RE to take their customers seriously and address their Himalayan problems and then buy one.
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 17:09   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post

That saves you some money but not the headache. I would stay away from the himalayan and benelli both esp if the idea is to keep the bike for 3-4yrs. And all the talk of himalayan going where no other bike goes is for a few who go to such places. These guys have no other option so are stuck with the himalayan. For lesser mortals happy with going to ladakh, Mojo should do the job just fine with hopefully far far less headache. This statement of RE has never let me down ever is short lived. You have to be incredibly lucky or you just dont ride enough for an RE never to break break down! Breaking down is a part of the RE package - its just that you find someone to fix it like the maruti car everywhere. Just pray its not fully broken! And this is from my own experience of 2 ladakh trips and 1 trip thru Sach pass on the Electra.
RE is yet to build a bike that does not rattle, seize, fry the electricals or just plain crack somewhere. But if you love bikes, want to learn a thing or 2 about how they run, wnat to get your hands dirty and are a do it yourself kinda guy, nothing beats the RE experience! And i do recommend the ownership of the RE atleast once in a lifetime just for that!

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 7th May 2017 at 17:17.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 17:50   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
That saves you some money but not the headache. I would stay away from the himalayan and benelli both esp if the idea is to keep the bike for 3-4yrs. And all the talk of himalayan going where no other bike goes is for a few who go to such places. These guys have no other option so are stuck with the himalayan. For lesser mortals happy with going to ladakh, Mojo should do the job just fine with hopefully far far less headache.
Mojo or TNT25 are neither a straight comparison with Himalayan, nor the brand image is same, Himalayan fits into the requirement I am looking for in my bike but RE doesn't. However I am really not in mood to get into binary mode and opt for Himalayan negating all the issues, and can live with limited offroading/touring abilities of Mojo and TNT25.
I honestly haven't done any relative comparison between Mojo and TNT25, and felt both have niggles in there ownership period, though a bit less than Himalayan.

Quote:
This statement of RE has never let me down ever is short lived. You have to be incredibly lucky or you just dont ride enough for an RE never to break break down! Breaking down is a part of the RE package - its just that you find someone to fix it like the maruti car everywhere. Just pray its not fully broken! And this is from my own experience of 2 ladakh trips and 1 trip thru Sach pass on the Electra.
That's really an analogy which even though true, but a brand like RE should take as a serious offense and insult. And it amaze me as to how can they afford it. I mean RE bikes were used by Army for ages, and having lived in Army setup, have seen them taking harshest of abuses. Those days it was not known for its niggles but for its reliability.
I wonder how with time a brand can let such issues crop up when they were not part of its original genes.
Adding to it I go by the logic that more the bike is basic, there is less to go wrong, further more conservative one is in taking bhp out of cc, lesser it put strain on the engine and it should last for ages. And the machines churning out maximum bhp and NM from a engine will wear out or just snap much sooner. All this logic simply fails in front of RE failures.
Say how reliable ISUZU was in a Ambassador. They should go for such kind of legacy, not one of ever failing machinery.

Quote:
RE is yet to build a bike that does not rattle, seize, fry the electricals or just plain crack somewhere. But if you love bikes, want to learn a thing or 2 about how they run, wnat to get your hands dirty and are a do it yourself kinda guy, nothing beats the RE experience! And i do recommend the ownership of the RE atleast once in a lifetime just for that!
Well I am feeling same, I owe it to Fiat for whatever I know of Cars today. Owning one made me some first hand mechanic who can perform a basic first aid, a CPR kind of things when stranded in midst of nowhere, and I keep getting stranded every now and then with it. It gets addictive after a while somewhere and even though you hate the brand, you become more and more close to your machine. (Its sort of a trap)
So honestly I wouldn't like to try it out again with bikes, as my Fiat keeps my full time occupied for my spare time for its own issues.

Its really a bit agonizing that there is not much option for a reliable, powerful tourer bike in its naked form. I would have gone with CBR250 if any variant of it was available in naked form, but just don't like the flairs and all the plastic around a bike. That is when started exploring Benelli and Mojo.

I was really optimistic when Himalayan was launched, first for the boldness shown by RE to come out of its legacy retro image and try out something which makes sense for Indian riding conditions, and also trying newer things in it as in Monoshock and digital display. The videos shown about its rigorous testing in Himalaya, all were making sense that its going to be a good bike built for purpose. Well sadly what remains right is just a concept now, the reliability seems further going down.
I hope they can acknowledge the faults in there bike, and not just replace faulty parts with new set of parts but rectify the problem at its root level.

Last edited by hrsraghav : 7th May 2017 at 18:11.
hrsraghav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 08:37   #628
BHPian

A Bigger Royal Enfield Himalayan Is On Its Way, Says CEO Siddhartha Lal.

Royal Enfield is working on a higher displacement Himalayan and the confirmation comes from their CEO himself. Siddhartha Lal, CEO of Eicher Motors, in an recent interview, confirmed that Royal Enfield has selected models which will get higher displacement and more powerful versions and the Himalayan is one of those.
Source
Ry_der is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 12:06   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
A Bigger Royal Enfield Himalayan Is On Its Way, Says CEO Siddhartha Lal.
Source
I wonder which engine they are planning. IMO the 500 of the Classic or the 535 of the GT should be sufficient. And hopefully they add ABS.
Old 24th May 2017, 12:53   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I wonder which engine they are planning. IMO the 500 of the Classic or the 535 of the GT should be sufficient. And hopefully they add ABS.
Pretty sure he's hinting at the 750 twin

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks