Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2017, 17:33   #646
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
Hopefully, the company is sorting out the quality issues of the Himalayan, before launching the BS4 version
No, no, no. That's not RE's way. What Royal Enfield will do is just dump the bike onto the market, warts and all, and market all the flaws as features, touting the "unique ownership experience" and "charm" and [insert various Enfield buzzwords here].

Some things never change.
marcussantiago is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 19:18   #647
BHPian

After checking with about 6-7 friends who own a Himalayan and considering the launch delay by a couple of months, I decided to reconsider my decision to get a Himalayan. All my friends who own one have had a number of issues, one even having his whole engine block replaced! Everyone told me to reconsider.

I've bought a very nice used D390 now. I hope to wait and see what will be available next year, hopefully an adv 390!
The_Mad_Hatter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 12:29   #648
BHPian

The Great Indian (Himalayan) Jugaad!!
Was posted by a friend in whose riding group a Himalayan went kaput in the middle of the woods while trail riding (Pls excuse some of the 'excitement' in the audio part)

Hats off to the guy who fixed it, but it seems the Himalayan has become the first bike to heal itself using fragments from other parts of the bike

Haroon is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 20:39   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Hats off to the guy who fixed it, but it seems the Himalayan has become the first bike to heal itself using fragments from other parts of the bike
How long did the juggad Woodruff key last?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 20th June 2017, 22:55   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
How long did the juggad Woodruff key last?

Regards
Sutripta
I gathered from their post they all made it back home in Goa the same day so thats the 'RE limping mode' I guess

Last edited by Haroon : 20th June 2017 at 23:10.
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 20:19   #651
Senior - BHPian

^^^
If under its own steam, I am really surprised.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 25th June 2017, 07:34   #652
BHPian

I am looking forward to my Himalayan!

Looks like you need to know practically everything about it to be able to live with it. Nostalgic. I had to do that to be able to live with our pre-mpfi Maruti 800. Come to think of it, a hammer, screwdriver and a spanner were all it took to fix up the car
Old 28th June 2017, 19:35   #653
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how true this is...

RE Discontinued Himalayan from the Market; Now Taking Time to Iron Out All Issues

Quote:
On the backdrop of BS4 emission norms becoming mandatory in the country from 1st April 2017, many manufacturers discontinued their ailing motorcycle models. However, there was one brand which had to do it just to make it a presentable reason – Royal Enfield for Himalayan.

At the same time Royal Enfield discontinued their BS3 compliant Himalayan and has not delivered a single unit since the last 3 months. A lot of motorcyclists who were eyeing the motorcycle and had booked one are waiting for it since long. One such person and our reader Dhirendra Upadhyay writes to us…

Hi, I wanted to let u know, that Royal Enfield has not delivered a single unit of Himalayan since April 2017. I am one of the customers who has booked it and yet to receive the delivery. The RE showroom has no clue when will the bike arrive. I checked many forums and it seems that no one has a clue and every one is just guessing about it.
There are a lot of people who have booked and getting frustrated. I did try to call few showrooms near my house in Gurgaon and one of them even refused to take a booking as well.

It is impossible for a professional company not to be ready with an upgraded version of a newly launched motorcycle model. And it is visibly apparent that Royal Enfield had no control over the rampant and serious issues its Himalayan suffered with – due to the lack of quality control, leaving a lot of customers terribly dissatisfied.

It is appalling to believe that only now, after a year of its original launch, they have realised that things are getting out of hand. Himalayan could easily be termed as one of the most problematic commercially launched motorcycle of all times. A bigger concern is the fact that they denied accepting faults in the motorcycle and failed to issue and official recall, which in a developed market would have called for a massive penalty for the brand!

Users have reported issues related to almost every little part of Himalayan including its engine, suspension, paint, clutch, frame, nuts and bolts etc. You can read more about them here.

Himalayan FI Launch & Availability

For all of you waiting for the fuel injected BS4 compliant Himalayan, here is an official update. As per a report at IndianAutosBlog, Royal Enfield’s president Rudratej Singh revealed that they will be coming out with the BS4 Himalayan (which will be fuel injected) ‘very soon‘. Here is what he said…

WE ARE STILL WORKING ON THE BSIV PROJECT. (FUEL INJECTED VERSION?, WE ASK) YES, YES, WE ARE GOING TO BE COMING OUT VERY SOON WITH THAT. OTHER THAN THAT WE ARE VERY, VERY DELIGHTED WITH THE PERFORMANCE OF THE HIMALAYAN. I AM VERY CONFIDENT ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE MOTORCYCLE.

We are hoping against hope that the 2017 Himalayan would be niggle-free.
Source: http://bikeadvice.in/re-discontinued...ut-all-issues/
praful is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 10:16   #654
Distinguished - BHPian

Even if the news of the Himalayan being discontinued is not completely true, it doesn't change the fact that this was not a smooth launch for this particular model, even by RE's usually low standards with these things.

But I know that it will not make an iota of difference to the way RE does things, especially quality control. The number of people queuing up to book an RE will keep rising, the number of fan-boys who sadly invest a lot of their personal self-esteem (apart from their hard-earned money) in the brand will keep defending the brand online (that's always been a real head-scratcher for me - why pay a company and then do free PR for them?!) and things will go on as they are.

Last edited by am1m : 29th June 2017 at 10:18.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 15:51   #655
BHPian

I get the feeling that Enfield wasn't prepared for the success of the Classic. Back when I bought my Machismo in 2008, REs were nowhere near as common as they are nowadays. There was only one dealer in town back then, and my bike was among the only 2 Enfields at college during my first couple of years. Their production was much less back then than it is now, so I assume their QC was a better. In 9 years of owning my Machismo, I've faced no issues with the motorcycle other than those I caused due to my poor riding skills. The same can be said about my Electra 4S.

Once the Classics came out and I began to see the roads and parking lots slowly saturated with REs, I started hearing about problems galore. Many people I knew had complaints about their bikes (after which they would still continue to extol the RE brand), and after riding a friend's new C350 at the time, I could see why. Oil leaks (much more than earlier models), even greater vibration (sent my fitness tracker haywire), recurring parts failures, the list goes on. My friend's '15 TB500 had its crankcase explode while he was riding at about 40 kph! He spent a considerable amount of time and effort trying to rectify that, while dealing with the apathy of many RE dealers. Dealers seem very smug these days, and knowing that their products will sell, they often turn a blind eye to customers' woes.

Every Himalayan owner I've encountered has had problems with their bikes. I had booked one too, but after being given an indefinite waiting period and hearing one too many nightmarish tales about the bike, I gave up on it.
I have to assume that with all the cash rolling in at RE, they didn't really set any aside for QC or improved manufacturing practices. And since customers kept taking the plunge, they figured, "Why bother?". Looking at recent shots of the 750 twin with its misaligned silencers, single disc and if hearsay is right seemingly low power output (the original 1960s Triumph T120 650 twin made at least 46 bhp), I start to wonder if I could ever go for an RE again :(
Old 10th August 2017, 09:18   #656
Senior - BHPian

A publicity boost for RE;

Three years after a fascinating 18,000-km bike ride across Asia and Europe, mechanical engineer Kedarnath G M is at it again. But this time, the man from Hampi has raised the bar, revved up his Royal Enfield Himalayan bike for an unprecedented three lakh-km global ride, a mission destined to last well over four years.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...obal-trip.html
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-618xnx627312_thump.jpg.pagespeed.ic.mlgiiugrnm.jpg  

Old 16th August 2017, 09:27   #657
BHPian

Surprised to see that no one here is discussing the BS4 Himalayan, it having made quite some news over the last few days. So has anyone test ridden it? My RE dealer said the same thing mentioned some posts ago, RE taking their time to iron out the issues and all, and the BS4 Himalayan would be "perfect".

Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 09:56   #658
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Surprised to see that no one here is discussing the BS4 Himalayan, it having made quite some news over the last few days. So has anyone test ridden it? My RE dealer said the same thing mentioned some posts ago, RE taking their time to iron out the issues and all, and the BS4 Himalayan would be "perfect".

Neel
You may like to check this thread which discusses the BS4 Fuel-Injected Himalayan :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...himalayan.html
Old 3rd October 2017, 17:22   #659
Team-BHP Support

Is it ok for the temp meter to show close to 50 degrees in the Himalayan?
Old 3rd October 2017, 19:48   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Is it ok for the temp meter to show close to 50 degrees in the Himalayan?
After riding a reasonably long stretch in first and second gear in the hot afternoon sun, the temp gauge showed 44. But mind you, I was on a bike which was being run in.

I guess it depends on how you were riding the bike. If it was after a hard run or in bumper to bumper traffic, 50 degrees might be possible.
satishv1987 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed