Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2018, 21:11   #721
BHPian

Onto the fourth day of ownership and having clocked 250km, a small glitch was experienced today.

After a casual evening ride with my kid and quick stop over at a friends place, I started her up to head back home but the moment I put her into first gear, the engine shut down.

After two more attempts, I figured that idling rpm could have dropped and sure enough, she was idling at approximately 800-900 rpm.

Shut her down, waited about ten minutes and started her up again to find the rpm back at the normal 1100-1200 range.

Not alarmed per se but what I am is really curious to know what might have caused the dip in the rpm.

Could anyone share some info about the possibilities of such behaviour from an EFI system?

Last edited by rideon74 : 14th April 2018 at 21:22. Reason: pesky typos!
Old 15th April 2018, 10:24   #722
Senior - BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
Onto the fourth day of ownership and having clocked 250km, a small glitch was experienced today.

Could anyone share some info about the possibilities of such behaviour from an EFI system?
- quoting from the manual, was it very cold morning? if you find this pattern repeating, should report it.

Symptoms:
Engine Starts
BUT shuts off
immediately

Observation:
Engine shuts off as soon as throttle is
closed.

Check for/remedy:
Idling RPM set too low / setting disturbed.
Contact Authorised Service Center for resetting the
Idling RPM.
Check if the MIL Lamp is glowing; If yes, Contact
Authorised Service Center.

I have observed the rpm goes below 1k mark and it shuts in 2-3 seconds if I have not run the bike for close to 12-24 hours, never ever experienced it within 2-3 hours parking the bike. I'm thinking of using that Manual bi-starter in future, that manual says should help stabilize the engine rpm.

Happy Riding.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 10:38   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
- quoting from the manual, was it very cold morning? if you find this pattern repeating, should report it.

Check for/remedy:

Idling RPM set too low / setting disturbed.

Contact Authorised Service Center for resetting the

Idling RPM.

Check if the MIL Lamp is glowing; If yes, Contact

Authorised Service Center.

I have observed the rpm goes below 1k mark and it shuts in 2-3 seconds if I have not run the bike for close to 12-24 hours, never ever experienced it within 2-3 hours parking the bike. I'm thinking of using that Manual bi-starter in future, that manual says should help stabilize the engine rpm.

Happy Riding.

It was an early evening ride, as I had mentioned - with the ambient temp around 30 deg C. The ride was just around 30km and had parked only for around 10-15 minutes.

But thanks for the heads up about the steps given in the manual - had noted + remembered reading about that info when the issue happened.

It is this very point that got me thinking about the possible causes of a random drop in the idle rpm - when the weathers not cold or when other external influences cannot seem to be reason.

I think I better have a word with SVC on Monday about this.

Last edited by rideon74 : 15th April 2018 at 10:50.
Old 15th April 2018, 11:51   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Lovely writeup. Thanks a lot for the beautiful pictures as well.

I took that half helmet and gave it to my wife. She might use it in the rare occasion, we go out together.

Can you please share the link to the crash guard. My dealer also did not have it.

That trip F was so funny. I had read about it any promptly forgotten. When it started flashing, I thought it read some malfunction and stopped to read what the hell it was saying. Took a minute to remember that the F meant fuel.

I am at 300 odd kilometres. Bike will go in for service sometime later this week.
I'm taking the half helmet as well, there seems to be no other option that RE has left. I may keep that as a spare or gift it to someone I find with that steel bowl type that mimics helmet.

Regarding the Fule gauge and F Trip, I have an observation where the indicator needle travels really slow from Full to Half way on the gauge but travels faster from Half way to Empty side of the gauge, so I'm kind of scared to run it much in the F trip and refill within around 30 kms of F trip.

Although manual states it has 5.5 ltr remains when one hits F Trip, according to the economy that I get (I'm using full tank to full tank method), it should run ~175 kms in F trip, considering .5 ltr is dad fuel. However, looking at the fuel gauge, I'm afraid as it hits the last mile on the gauge redline within 40-50 kms of F trip.

I'm trying to figure out if I can get an authoritative answer from RE on some of these questions.
>> Is .5 ltr of dead fuel meant to protect the fuel pump? prevent folks running it dry and damaging fuel pump?
>> If not, how much low one should go in terms of fuel volume in the tank to ensure pump is not damaged, I have heard other owners talking about not going lower than 5 ltr etc, but that leaves me with a 10 ltr tank on my Himalayan, cuts my range by 1/3 - RE may want to clarify on this to avoid confusion

Crash Guard:
Regarding the crash guard, I have the one ordered from Donowyn fixed couple days back and satisfied with the quality (visual aspects), somehow felt the motorcycle looked slimmer and handsome without the crash guard, but will have to keep it for that unexpected crash/fall.

Spiti motorcycle trip:
I've had Spiti trip planned a couple months back, even before I bought RE Himalayan, I was planning to send my Machismo 500 to Chandigarh and then dropped the plan, then bought REH but decided not to send the new bike for this harsh of a trip, but now, after running close to 2k kms, I'm seriously thinking of taking this to my Spiti trip. In the process of finding out the best way to ship my motorcycle safely, in talk to a Gati guy, referred by another friend who has shipped his mobike with him satisfactorily in the past, hoping this decision wouldn't damage my motorcycle or spoil the overall experience.

Accessories:
While decided to take this to Spiti, I'm in the process of acquiring some accessories that I'd like to carry, some of these are below

Seat cover:
I got it from joyride, not very satisfied with the fitting of the rider seat, but I'd try to fix it again to get a better fit

Panniers:
I've been following up with RE on this, they are responsive in their own limited manner, but I'm yet to see this happening, may be they don't have spares/accessories at all, is the focus on new launch? not sure. I've confirmation from area sales team that I'll get the panniers before I ship my bike on Apr 20, but really don't trust their words, not so confidence inspiring experience looking at how my calls are being avoided by area sales folks I'm trying to get in touch with.
Edit:Also thinking of using bungee chords as a stay and use my old and loyal 55ltr cramster soft saddle bag if I don't get panniers in time, yet to try this to see if it works, without touch the upswept silencer on REH

Top box:
I'm getting it from Trek N Ride, hoping to see some decent quality. I was comparing between SH37 and this one, I see the material seem to be more or less same, SH37 has quick release using the key itself while Trek N Ride may require unscrewing a bold to release it but comes at almost half price, so going bit cheap here to save some money

REH Empocher and a Jerry can:
Getting this from Trek N Ride again, Waterproof epmpocher may help carrying small camera/accessories or any accessories. Looking at the REH range and mysteries around F trip and dead fuel to avoid FI damage etc. I'm thinking of carrying a 5 ltr fuel between Peo and Kaza, its just 200kms, but its mountains and we have plans to deviate from the main route a few times, covering Gue mummy, Pin valley, Sopona lake etc. these jerry cans are costly at 2999.00 but cant be cheap here when it comes to handling highly inflammable liquid on a motorcycle.

knuckle guards:
I'm getting some Acerbis replica which is not so costly as original acerbis, has the metal shield that may be needed for protection from crash/fall or off-road application. However, this requires to raise the handle-bar to avoid it touching the motorcycle console. Getting them fixed will be a project before I send them

Seelin:
Ordered it from amazon and should get it in another couple days, will try my best to avoid flats on this heavy a mo-bike! Not going to do any off-road adventures on this yet, but my basic purpose of touring should be the best experience possible

RAM Mount:
Awaiting the delivery for this and a gps mount stand from Trek N Ride, I'm not sure or planning to use GPS in Spiti, its not needed, it'll be my second visit so these things may not be needed for the trip. future rides may be benefited from these accessories

I've got the full riding gears from my Machismo days so not spending anything out there.
Please suggest me anything else that I could be missing for a trip like Spiti,

I'm open to change my plans on using someone other than Gati if you guys have any better suggestions. I have heard about VRL cage transport, but that will require you securing your motorcycle with additional ratchets, most of their cages are in bad shape now and if its not secured properly inside the cage, I've seen some horrible videos on bad motorcycle damages inside the VRL cages.

Couldn't get the appointment for the second service last week, planning to go for it tomorrow. Some ride pics to share.
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-fb_img_1523238754700.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20180407_125842.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20180408_100922_001.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20180408_112329.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20180408_113049.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20180409_145900.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20180409_155553.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20180409_161007.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20180409_163418.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img20180415wa0000.jpg  

Last edited by Ketan : 15th April 2018 at 12:06. Reason: adding details
Ketan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 07:22   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was an early evening ride, as I had mentioned - with the ambient temp around 30 deg C. The ride was just around 30km and had parked only for around 10-15 minutes.

But thanks for the heads up about the steps given in the manual - had noted + remembered reading about that info when the issue happened.

It is this very point that got me thinking about the possible causes of a random drop in the idle rpm - when the weathers not cold or when other external influences cannot seem to be reason.

I think I better have a word with SVC on Monday about this.
There is a possibility of airlock inside the fuel tank. Next time, if your bike doesn’t start, open the fuel tank lid, keep it open for 2-3 sec and close the lid and start.
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 07:38   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
There is a possibility of airlock inside the fuel tank. Next time, if your bike doesn’t start, open the fuel tank lid, keep it open for 2-3 sec and close the lid and start.

I wish I could respond by saying that the above suggested method had solved the issue. Nope - I had tried this first before I anything else. Thanks for the info anyhow, buddy.

What had worked though is just shutting her down for around 10-15 minutes and then I found she got back on her feet - Errr...tyres 😀

To check out the possibility of recurrence, I did two rides yesterday - the morning one started off by 9:00am with 50km covered and the evening one had me completing 65km. The idea was to put the bike through varying ambient temperatures.

On both rides, I made two ten minute stops each and while starting her up to head out again, no niggles came up. In fact, she was all normal - as though there was never any glitch in the first place 🙄....Typical.

Have decided not to bother with the SVC for now. Perhaps it was a one-off occurrence. I would rather wait and watch till the first service is due.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1523845423.728232.jpg

Off topic: A moment taken to admire her from the morning ride

Last edited by benbsb29 : 16th April 2018 at 08:37. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
rideon74 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 08:35   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Regarding the Fule gauge and F Trip, I have an observation where the indicator needle travels really slow from Full to Half way on the gauge but travels faster from Half way to Empty side of the gauge, so I'm kind of scared to run it much in the F trip and refill within around 30 kms of F trip.

Although manual states it has 5.5 ltr remains when one hits F Trip, according to the economy that I get (I'm using full tank to full tank method), it should run ~175 kms in F trip, considering .5 ltr is dad fuel. However, looking at the fuel gauge, I'm afraid as it hits the last mile on the gauge redline within 40-50 kms of F trip.

I'm trying to figure out if I can get an authoritative answer from RE on some of these questions.
>> Is .5 ltr of dead fuel meant to protect the fuel pump? prevent folks running it dry and damaging fuel pump?
>> If not, how much low one should go in terms of fuel volume in the tank to ensure pump is not damaged, I have heard other owners talking about not going lower than 5 ltr etc, but that leaves me with a 10 ltr tank on my Himalayan, cuts my range by 1/3 - RE may want to clarify on this to avoid confusion
Hi Ketan,

Congratulations on your Himalayan, some really nice pics too. I have a BS3 which is around 16 months old now.

Regarding Trip F, your deductions are correct, it does move faster from halfway to F trip.
However, in the F trip you can be rest assured that it does have over 5ltrs of usable fuel. I am not sure of your riding style but I do get 120+ KMs every time on Trip F, the highest I have pulled is 135Kms before reserve sets in. I have never ridden her in reserve though.
I guess all modern bikes have some unusable fuel which lies in the system (my 2006 pulsar 180 DTSi also had it). But this is to protect the system from running dry.
So even if one does forget to fill up and the tank runs dry you can be rest assured that the system will not get affected as the unusable fuel takes care of that.
With regular and normal riding 30+ per litre (+/- 10%) is easily doable. Mileage drops when you ride constantly above 100-110 kmph, though I have heard that BS4 is better in this regard too.
Flat tyres are something which are a concern, which product are you planning to use, can you please post a link. My friend just returned from a Bhutan trip and he did have sealant filled but still got a flat.

Cheers and ride safe!

Trojan
Trojan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 15:21   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Hi Ketan,
Regarding Trip F, your deductions are correct, it does move faster from halfway to F trip.
However, in the F trip you can be rest assured that it does have over 5ltrs of usable fuel. I am not sure of your riding style but I do get 120+ KMs every time on Trip F, the highest I have pulled is 135Kms before reserve sets in. I have never ridden her in reserve though.
I guess all modern bikes have some unusable fuel which lies in the system (my 2006 pulsar 180 DTSi also had it). But this is to protect the system from running dry.
So even if one does forget to fill up and the tank runs dry you can be rest assured that the system will not get affected as the unusable fuel takes care of that.
With regular and normal riding 30+ per litre (+/- 10%) is easily doable. Mileage drops when you ride constantly above 100-110 kmph, though I have heard that BS4 is better in this regard too.
Flat tyres are something which are a concern, which product are you planning to use, can you please post a link. My friend just returned from a Bhutan trip and he did have sealant filled but still got a flat.

Cheers and ride safe!

Trojan
Thank you for sharing that, Trojan! That boosts some confidence on F trip mileage.

I've heard other owners going above 150kms on F trip. However, I have not pushed it that far looking at the needle position on the gauge and how fast it travels in the second half, I'll try to push that keeping 5 ltrs left when I hit F trip. I'm usually getting good economy, close to 34-35kmpl in city and on highways, I have got around 38kmpl that was during the first trip. I'll continue to monitor the number.

I've ordered SeelIn from amazon, check that out here - https://www.amazon.in/Seelin-Special...eywords=seelin

I'll be filling 450ml in each tyre before I ship it. I have read some good reviews on the premium Seelin product, hoping to see it work well. Was that a more than 4mm nail or something that caused flat? I've heard that on JC road (Bangalore), folks fill the sealant for as low as Rs. 300 a tyre, I wasn't too sure about the quality and did not want to take risk of potential flats if that is inferior quality so spent some more.
Old 18th April 2018, 01:30   #729
BHPian

A quick ownership report before my REH goes in for its first service tomorrow.

So far I’ve have nothing to report as negatives. On this front, to be honest, I’m quite surprised (and relieved).

1. I don’t have the ‘hard clutch’ issue that has been reported by some of the new owners. No gearshift issues either. I’d actually anticipated these two points as something I’ll have to reckon with.

2. The heat from the engine during peak traffic hours has decreased quite a lot.

3. I found the headlight adequately bright enough with good amount of spread.

4. The front brake has enough bite and the back brake is best not relied upon - locks in an instant. But then, I'm used to the 70-30 technique so I can live with it. I’m hoping that RE will have an ABS retro-fit option soon.

5. I haven’t looked into the mileage aspect yet. I’d rather wait up & take the readings after she’s clocked around 600-750km. The behaviour of the fuel gauge after half tank needs a little getting used to.

6. The horn provided is an embarrassment to the bike’s road presence. Does the job for now but need to get a bracket made to fix a dual horn soon.

7. Have ordered the GT’s right side heel guard from Royal Bikes (online, ₹290/-) and crash guards (₹2,500/- + courier charges) from Monish (aka Monty) at Mumbai. Preferred his design over the one from Hemant of HDT customs - an equally good product though.

8. I’m getting a little bum sore thanks to the narrow seat design - keep wishing it was a tad wider. Decided to order the Fego Float air seat attachment for my longer ride needs.

9. My kids & the Mrs. are more than happy with the pillion comfort - though the tail rack tends to bump their lower back at times. Getting a padding done for this.

The one puzzling incident that had occurred (previously mentioned) when she had clocked around 250km & kept shutting down when trying to shift into first gear has never occurred after that evening. Because of that, I’m not too worried about it - unless it occurs after the first service period too. I suspect the EFI system has yet to clear its veins, so to speak...

I’ve been careful to ensure that I’ve put the bike through varied ride conditions without crossing the 2500rpm mark - which has been a test of patience most of the times, especially while out the highways! Can’t wait for her to complete 2000km to maintain decent highway speeds.

I must say again that the joy of half standing while the bike’s superb suspension takes care of the pesky speed breakers is a load of fun!

My experience with the BS4 has been more than satisfactory till date - touchwood. Some pics of my REH from the past one week of ownership...
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-reh4b.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-reh5b.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-reh6b.jpg  

Last edited by rideon74 : 18th April 2018 at 01:32. Reason: pesky typos!
rideon74 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 03:44   #730
Distinguished - BHPian

After the first 500 km you should be able to ride your new motorcycle up to 80 kmph in 5th gear. After 2000 km, the recommended restrictions on the top speeds is removed.

While that's not very fast it should make riding on highways manageable.

I got that information from page 58 of the Owners Manual.

For the curious or anyone who did not get a manual with their Himalayan, here is a link to a PDF file which has the entire Owners Manual in it.

https://royalenfield.com/motorcycles...ers_Manual.pdf

Happy riding.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 19th April 2018 at 03:45.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 12:25   #731
Team-BHP Support

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-19a2e2c91d034b87ac1e5b434b85a3d9.jpg

The bike has become super smooth.
The light pull is still present but only I am able to feel it. Got about 3 different people to test it out and no one feels it. Whatever. I am not going to waste my time on it.

If it was a little cooler, I would love to take her on a longish ride.

I bought this Enfield Himalayan Empocher from Trek N Ride

Its quite useful for storing gloves and stuff.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 19:17   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
After the first 500 km you should be able to ride your new motorcycle up to 80 kmph in 5th gear. After 2000 km, the recommended restrictions on the top speeds is removed.

While that's not very fast it should make riding on highways manageable.

Happy riding.
Happily riding is quite right...Thanks!

Yes, the rides are okay within this speed limit (approx. 3500-3700rpm) since the bike is still quite new & one has to get used to it's nuances. Personally, I take the 2000km period as an intro period to the bike.

In the past week, I've done some riding (500km in toto) around the hill station areas nearby & a couple of short rides on the expressway. I've learnt much more about the bike's handling characteristics - from sudden braking to no-you-can't-overtake-in-a-jiffy-with-this-baby kind of scenarios...

Quote:
Attachment 1755195

The bike has become super smooth....If it was a little cooler, I would love to take her on a longish ride.
It sure has! I've just touched the 1000km mark on the odo too & all is well. I'm guessing a switch to better quality of engine oil after the 2000km mark will do her real good.

Enjoy & safe rides!
rideon74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 19:28   #733
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Happily riding is quite right...Thanks!

Yes, the rides are okay within this speed limit (approx. 3500-3700rpm) since the bike is still quite new & one has to get used to it's nuances. Personally, I take the 2000km period as an intro period to the bike.
Completely agree with this.

Last week took her into an uninhabited area, something like a reserve Forest near my home.

Everything about this bike is different compared to my old bike. I think it's particularly important for us, as not only do we need to learn this bike but also kind of unlearn our old bike.
Old 24th April 2018, 19:41   #734
BHPian

Quote:
...I think it's particularly important for us, as not only do we need to learn this bike but also kind of unlearn our old bike.

Perfectly put. From the brain to the bum, there is a whole lot of learning happening 😀
rideon74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 21:08   #735
BHPian

Has anyone here has had issues with moisture leaking into the digital console?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks