Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2022, 21:01   #1516
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
ASS does not provide any synthetic oil, they use Liquid Gun oil only.
After my first free service, i put synthetic from FNG. I let the ASS do their procedure so that there are no issues on warranty and then i put my preferred oil.
I am not sure if Liquid Gun is mineral or semi synth.
Just found out that Liquid Gun is Semi Synthetic. Is there a considerable difference that you have noticed in switching to Synthetic? Any improvements in terms of mileage, refinement etc?
Old 5th July 2022, 21:29   #1517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
Just found out that Liquid Gun is Semi Synthetic. Is there a considerable difference that you have noticed in switching to Synthetic? Any improvements in terms of mileage, refinement etc?
Yes, it's much smoother for sure. Gear shifts also better.
Mileage, i am not sure. Maybe there is, i had not checked mileage when using Liquid Gun. Post fully Synthetic (Motul 7100), I have got mileage between to 30 and 37 on varying terrains, speeds upto 110 and 90% highways.
It could also be due to the engine completing the run-in and settling down.
Old 6th July 2022, 09:45   #1518
BHPian

Re: Cone-set issue on the Himalayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Another query to all Himalayan owners: how prevalent are cone-set issues in the Himalayan? The vlogger in the video below opines that this is a common issue with the Himalayan…
Sorry to hijack this thread.

I am facing some resistance in the handlebar of my bike (cb300r) whenever I try to steer at low speed and the service guys mentioned that the bike has cone set issue and given an appointment next Sunday. My doubt is, is it okay to ride the bike with this issue especially on highways?
Old 6th July 2022, 10:35   #1519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread.

I am facing some resistance in the handlebar of my bike (cb300r) whenever I try to steer at low speed and the service guys mentioned that the bike has cone set issue and given an appointment next Sunday. My doubt is, is it okay to ride the bike with this issue especially on highways?
If you aren't travelling long distances and are remaining within the city, then it should be fine (If the resistance isn't too bad). I wouldn't suggest riding it on the highways right now.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 18:04   #1520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
If you aren't travelling long distances..should be fine (If the resistance isn't too bad)...
Quote:
I am facing some resistance in the handlebar of my bike (cb300r) whenever I try to steer at low speed...
A perfectly balanced bike with clear cone-set should continue to ride straight when both hands taken off the handle bar at cruising speed. Does your bike pass this test?

Agree with whiskeyTangoFox- a long ride with a pulling handle bar will induce pain in the elbows/arms/neck and tire you out prematurely.

-BJ
Old 6th July 2022, 18:47   #1521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
A perfectly balanced bike with clear cone-set should continue to ride straight when both hands taken off the handle bar at cruising speed. Does your bike pass this test?

Agree with whiskeyTangoFox- a long ride with a pulling handle bar will induce pain in the elbows/arms/neck and tire you out prematurely.

-BJ
I am not facing any handle bar pull issue. I tried few < 60kmph straight tests and I find the handle bar is straight during those tests. It is only the slow speed turns I feel some resistance in the handle bar. I will skip any highway riding till this thing gets sorted out. Thank you for the inputs.
Old 13th July 2022, 10:29   #1522
BHPian

Anyone bought a set of lightweight tire levers for Himalayan? I am looking for something like this. A friend is going to US next week. I want to order from Revzilla. Less weight is the key criteria. Thanks in advance.
Old 13th July 2022, 13:01   #1523
Senior - BHPian

I'm riding the Himalayan for few days now, and am a big fan. The cone set issue is common, I'm told. Zuzu, of Art of Motorcycles had fabricated a solution for this. There is a Japanese part and a HDPE sleeve. See if you can take it to him
Quote:
I am facing some resistance in the handlebar of my bike (cb300r) whenever I try to steer at low speed and the service guys mentioned that the bike has cone set issue and given an appointment next Sunday
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalaya.jpeg  

Sebring is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 08:48   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Excellent video by NCR motorcycles

Several Interceptor owners have also got these silicone implants which are of no use at all!!
Captain Slow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 11:23   #1525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm riding the Himalayan for few days now, and am a big fan. The cone set issue is common, I'm told. Zuzu, of Art of Motorcycles had fabricated a solution for this. There is a Japanese part and a HDPE sleeve. See if you can take it to him
Excellent suggestion! I have also done it from AOM.

Just to make it absolutely clear, this is not some magic solution that will last an eternity. Greasing still needs to be done proactively based on maintenance cycle. It's just that this other bearing is capable of lasting and holding off rust prevention, for slightly longer than the OE one. Quantifying "slightly" would be difficult and unscientific. I did feel it was about 1.5 times longer though.
shyamg28 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 12:23   #1526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Excellent suggestion! I have also done it from AOM.
Did you take a look at the video I posted - the bearing AOM uses in NTN bearings, nothing very special about them. AFAIK the Himalayan and interceptor share the same bearing and seals.

I did replace the bearings on my bike but with SKF ones and no I did not opt for any silicone cap/covers
Captain Slow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 13:40   #1527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Did you take a look at the video I posted - the bearing AOM uses in NTN bearings, nothing very special about them. AFAIK the Himalayan and interceptor share the same bearing and seals.

I did replace the bearings on my bike but with SKF ones and no I did not opt for any silicone cap/covers

Absolutely. AOM uses NTN bearings, which is better than SKF’s one though. Also, it’s cheaper to buy from Amazon than AOM. One can also go for Timken bearings. The only thing you need is marine grease. But yes, it’s more of a poor maintaining habit (high pressure wash/ over-tightening) that causes the problem than the parts used.

Regarding the HDPE cover, we need to understand that it was developed during BS3/4 time when RE was not even using marine grease in cone-set and Bs3 models didn’t have the top cover also. It’s easier to maintain cone-set in newer Himalayan than old models.

Also there is this video by Ben Philips. He explained really well what this cover is supposed to do or will do. He definitely didn’t go by what the manufacturer claims and came to his own conclusion through his experience.

NTab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 18:28   #1528
BHPian

Hello All!

I'm facing one small niggle (or is it?) that has cropped up right after yesterday's first service wherein before the service, the headlamp used to be on in low beam all the time (Mine is a BS6 2022 Variant), when the bike was on. However, after yesterday, the low beam doesn't work at all. When the switch is toggled to low beam, only the small white pilot lamp glows, along with the rest of the lamps as usual (number plate illuminator and tail lamp). The High Beam and pass switch works fine. I initially thought the bike had a daylight sensor and maybe turns on in the dark but even in pitch darkness, the low beam doesn't work. Please do advise if there's any solution for this or do I have to go to the service centre to get it checked out.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 18th July 2022, 19:58   #1529
Team-BHP Support

Looks like you need to replace the fused bulb.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 21:44   #1530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Looks like you need to replace the fused bulb.
I'll do that then. Quite disappointing as its been just over a month and the bulb has already fused

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks