Team-BHP > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2023, 10:30   #1606
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 714
Thanked: 959 Times
Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by //R View Post
...
Has no one here faced issues with their fuel system or been worried about the health of the filter and the pump?
...
1) When you open the fuel filling lid, you'll see a hole (vent) with a long tube beneath, for the overflow & breather. Ensure its clean throughout and tube is freely routed to ground - not twisted or clogged. Often rain water enters from the lid and due to clogged tube it couldn't overflow down, eventually water entering the fuel and damages the fuel pump. Have seen several of such cases, across bikes. Also dusts particles could enter the tank.

2) use of quality fuel additive is fine, especially on a long trip - which burns and cleans well.

3) Fuel Strainer (filter) element is located within the fuel pump assembly, and in Himalayan it can be replaced. I can say every 10K KM, get the tank and fuel pump cleaned, with filter replaced.

A nice video on same :


4) its a pretty common observation across automobile brands and garages to avoid certain tasks citing various reasons. However, if you as an auto-enthustiast are aware of certain maintenance tasks, then surely you can get it done, above the SOP guidelines. For my vehicles, I have my own schedule of maintenance tasks and dont mind spending some time/money for peace & love.


regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 21:28   #1607
//R
Newbie
 
//R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 15
Thanked: 56 Times
Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
The plug model for the Himma is CR9EIX.
About this, I recently visited the NGK India website where they indicate that the RE Himalayan fits a CR7EIX plug whereas the most commonly used one is the CR8EIX (as per many Google searches & places in this forum). How do these 3 compare? Slightly different spec but are all compatible to be put in the Himalayan? Also, at some places the CR8EIX is priced around 3k whereas in some it's available for about Rs 800. Possible fakes or am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Find a good and reliable FNG and ask them to clean the fuel tank along with the pump and strainer atleast once in 2 years or so. Have also seen the ASS skipping on the valve clearance adjustment part. Both Himalayan and the 650s go out of spec very soon.
Yes. I do plan on getting these done at a FNG. Is anyone here aware of how RE is dealing with the new Right To Repair policy? I'm assuming RE won't take this as an excuse to void the warranty in the future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
1) When you open the fuel filling lid, you'll see a hole (vent) with a long tube beneath, for the overflow & breather.
I'm assuming you're referring to the EVAP hose here. I very recently got the bash plate along with the EVAP Canister area cleaned. No obstruction in their route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
2) use of quality fuel additive is fine, especially on a long trip - which burns and cleans well.

3) Fuel Strainer (filter) element is located within the fuel pump assembly, and in Himalayan it can be replaced. I can say every 10K KM, get the tank and fuel pump cleaned, with filter replaced.
I do visit reputed bunks as I've already mentioned but the actual fuel quality, obviously, is not expected to be great and one can barely even check this. Will get the tank and fuel pump cleaned. Does RE sell the fuel filter separately? Might sound like a stupid question but the omission of the fuel filter periodic maintenance made me wonder!
//R is offline  
Old 31st May 2023, 22:20   #1608
BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Stickn' Around
Posts: 876
Thanked: 2,061 Times
Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by //R View Post
About this, I recently visited the NGK India website where they indicate that the RE Himalayan fits a CR7EIX plug whereas the most commonly used one is the CR8EIX (as per many Google searches & places in this forum). How do these 3 compare? Slightly different spec but are all compatible to be put in the Himalayan? Also, at some places the CR8EIX is priced around 3k whereas in some it's available for about Rs 800. Possible fakes or am I missing something?
CR8EIX and CR9EIX are basically the same plugs with different heat ratings. The lower the number, the hotter the plug, the higher the number, the cooler the plug. I used CR9EIX on my ex-Himlayan and cold starts were a thing of past, fueling and throttle response was comparatively better than the stock BOSCH UR5CC.

But mind you, these are Iridium plugs, and they are comparatively costlier and hover in the range of Rs. 750 to Rs. 850/pc LRLmotors, Amazon sell genuine spark plug.

You can purchase yours here also. Reputable, genuine plug sellers.

https://ridersjunction.com/product/n...k-plug-cr8eix/

https://www.bikenbiker.com/products/...gn=sag_organic

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 23:12   #1609
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 714
Thanked: 959 Times
Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by //R View Post
Does RE sell the fuel filter separately? Might sound like a stupid question but the omission of the fuel filter periodic maintenance made me wonder!
In my previous reply I did mention that RE sells the fuel pump filter, I think it costs ~2000. Do refer to that YouTube video which I posted, gives a detailed idea of cleaning/replacing.
pcpranav is offline  
Old 1st June 2023, 23:55   #1610
//R
Newbie
 
//R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 15
Thanked: 56 Times
Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
CR8EIX and CR9EIX are basically the same plugs with different heat ratings. The lower the number, the hotter the plug, the higher the number, the cooler the plug.
Thanks for that clarification. What you're implying is that all 3 of them can be used in the Himalayan since they're of the same shape/size as the Bosch one? Wouldn't a colder plug be a cause of carbon fouling if the recommended unit CR7EIX is noticeably cooler than the CR9EIX? How long did you run yours on this spark plug; did you see any carbon deposits on your plug ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
In my previous reply I did mention that RE sells the fuel pump filter, I think it costs ~2000. Do refer to that YouTube video which I posted, gives a detailed idea of cleaning/replacing.
Yes, got it. I believe getting the fuel pump cleaned is on the list since the bike has now run close to 13k kms. I'll probably replace the filter in the next 10k kms if it's found to be too dirty the next time I inspect it. Thanks!
//R is offline  
Old 2nd June 2023, 01:17   #1611
BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Stickn' Around
Posts: 876
Thanked: 2,061 Times
Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by //R View Post
Thanks for that clarification. What you're implying is that all 3 of them can be used in the Himalayan since they're of the same shape/size as the Bosch one? Wouldn't a colder plug be a cause of carbon fouling if the recommended unit CR7EIX is noticeably cooler than the CR9EIX? How long did you run yours on this spark plug; did you see any carbon deposits on your plug ever?
While the difference between a hotter/colder as it relates to plug fouling is a thing of past, they don't matter much at least for the application we're using. I've used CR9EIX and I sold it along with the bike. The last I remember inspecting, there were zero carbon deposits on the plug. These plugs don't need gap adjustment, that's the plus of Iridium, as they last longer compared to normal plugs. Colder plugs means plugs cool wee bit faster than a hot plug that stays hotter and can cause detonation.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 11:32   #1612
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubhendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,260
Thanked: 2,169 Times
Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

I have been owning/riding Himalayan since 2016, from BS3 -> BS6 and after every trip I appreciate this bike more. I recently did 10 days, 2600 kms trip to a few remote places in Arunachal Pradesh and bike performed flawlessly. This was a BS 6 model which sounds more refined than BS4 which sounds more refined than BS3. BS6 has good low end torque but nothing compared to the raw power of carburettor version (BS3).
We did some sustained 100+ KMPH ride for a few hours to 3 hrs 50 kms stretch and lot of bad roads hills throughout. A little more top end would have been great to cover highways quickly. I still feel none of the bikes in 4 lacs MRP category match the comfort and overall package. I am now waiting for the launch of 450 which is going to be a keeper.

The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-20230526_232021collage.jpg
Shubhendra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 15:04   #1613
BHPian
 
NTab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Patna
Posts: 119
Thanked: 283 Times
Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

My bike has completed 9k kms and itís now time for 3rd service. The bike is mostly being used for touring purposes. I have used Motul5100, LiquidGun(for Himmy), and currently itís running on LiquidGun fully synthetic(one used for 650). Didnít seem to find much noticeable difference. Thinking of using Maxima, Amsoil or Motorex this time. Feedback is appreciated. Not sure whether spending ₹2500 on engine oil is worth or not for Himmy, else I will stick with Motul5100.

My bike will be completing one year in July. I have chalked out few necessary yearly maintenances. The first is to grease coneset, and the second is changing fork oil. I already have Maxima waterproof grease which will be used for coneset. I also have NTN bearing lying somewhere, so probably will use them.
The fork oil need upgradation though. I ride a little hard(comparatively) on rough surfaces, and find the front suspension to be a little soft as per my riding style. This year, I will be going to Lower Mustang(Muktinath), and Manang, and the soft suspension will be an issue there. I was thinking of changing the fork oil to Maxima 15WT(Green Packaging). A little heavy oil may help with front diving, and softer feel. Itís cheaper than changing the springs for now, which is the final step if the heavier oil doesnít provide any solution. Anyone used any other fork oil for their Himmy? Since itís a once in an year investment, price is not much of an issue. I am looking at brands like Maxima, Putoline, and Motorex.


Ride hard, Ride safe
NTab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 08:36   #1614
BHPian
 
shyamg28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 300
Thanked: 1,565 Times
Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTab View Post
My bike has completed 9k kms and itís now time for 3rd service. The bike is mostly being used for touring purposes. I have used Motul5100, LiquidGun(for Himmy), and currently itís running on LiquidGun fully synthetic(one used for 650). Didnít seem to find much noticeable difference. Thinking of using Maxima, Amsoil or Motorex this time. Feedback is appreciated. Not sure whether spending ₹2500 on engine oil is worth or not for Himmy, else I will stick with Motul5100.
I've tried LiquiMoly + Motul fully synthetic as well. I found really no significant difference. I've found the bike is smoothest between 30-35 Celsius (as indicated on its meters). Anything beyond, and the clunkiness returns regardless of the oil. I've just switched back to regular LiquidGun and a slightly aggressive oil change window.


Quote:
The fork oil need upgradation though. I ride a little hard(comparatively) on rough surfaces, and find the front suspension to be a little soft as per my riding style. This year, I will be going to Lower Mustang(Muktinath), and Manang, and the soft suspension will be an issue there. I was thinking of changing the fork oil to Maxima 15WT(Green Packaging). A little heavy oil may help with front diving, and softer feel. Itís cheaper than changing the springs for now, which is the final step if the heavier oil doesnít provide any solution. Anyone used any other fork oil for their Himmy? Since itís a once in an year investment, price is not much of an issue. I am looking at brands like Maxima, Putoline, and Motorex.
Ride hard, Ride safe
All the best for your trip!

I believe the 5W is default for the Himalayan. I had gone up to 10W using Maxima's fork oil. There is a definite difference. Going up to 15W will be even more pronounced. Ben from YouTube has done it and I have found him quite responsive on social media.

shyamg28 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 13:20   #1615
BHPian
 
NTab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Patna
Posts: 119
Thanked: 283 Times
Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
I've tried LiquiMoly + Motul fully synthetic as well. I found really no significant difference. I've found the bike is smoothest between 30-35 Celsius (as indicated on its meters). Anything beyond, and the clunkiness returns regardless of the oil. I've just switched back to regular LiquidGun and a slightly aggressive oil change window.
This has been my observation also. Regardless of the oil used, after 2500kms, the clunkiness returns. Few other members have had the same observation if I recall correctly. Thatís why I change after 2500kms. But I was wondering how these top of the line oils will perform.


Quote:
All the best for your trip!
Thank you very much. Just returned from Kushma few days back(travelogue pending), and presently the roads from Muglin to Pokhara is under construction. It was a complete 85kms of dust bath. Very excited for the thrill and challenge these places will offer.

Quote:
I believe the 5W is default for the Himalayan. I had gone up to 10W using Maxima's fork oil. There is a definite difference. Going up to 15W will be even more pronounced. Ben from YouTube has done it and I have found him quite responsive on social media.
As per manual 10W-35 is the recommendation. But thatís the problem with fork oils, there is no standard measurement, one brandís 10W can be otherís 5W. But at least they have mentioned the Viscosity to be 35. I suppose the Maxima15W is somewhere around 40-45, but it has a great Viscosity Index(150+) so less chance of oil loosing itís viscosity under high pressure. Great to know Maxima 10W did show some improvement for you. Seems I can order one now.

Ben Philips, great guy. Learned a lot of things about Himmy from him. Half of the work I do on my bike is thanks to him and Leuheanrede(youtube). Foxed a rear puncture today all thanks to these two guys.
NTab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 23:22   #1616
BHPian
 
sunejarahul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: DLxx
Posts: 170
Thanked: 222 Times
Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

In a small fix with my RE Himalayan BS6 2020 (pre-tripper version). The instrument cluster on the bike has noisy rattling, the speedo card (where the km/h are written) violently shakes while revving and there's persistent fogging present during cold days or rains.

The RE service center had accepted my request for a replacement under warranty but couldn't arrange for the stock. Last week the bike was taken in by the SC and they installed the 2021 Himalayan's cluster (white backlight instead of amber, no compass, gear indicator in place of compass on 2020 version). Upon asking they apologized for the mixup, installed the defective one back and requested to wait for a week for new stock as they placed the order with RE.

10 days later, I get a call from the Service Manager of the SC claiming that RE has stopped production of the old cluster and that they've been instructed to install the new one instead. I asked for a copy of the notification but they refused to share it over WhatsApp and have asked me to visit and see it in person. While I don't have a major issue with the new cluster, I'm concerned if RE did actually stop production of the old clusters. What if I accept the replacement now, face an issue again and get the warranty denied due to part number mismatch? I do also somehow like the amber backlit console with the compass. Anyone here with any information or source for confirming this?
sunejarahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 19:44   #1617
BHPian
 
gypsyFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 415
Thanked: 536 Times
Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunejarahul View Post
10 days later, I get a call from the Service Manager of the SC claiming that RE has stopped production of the old cluster and that they've been instructed to install the new one instead. I asked for a copy of the notification but they refused to share it over WhatsApp and have asked me to visit and see it in person. While I don't have a major issue with the new cluster, I'm concerned if RE did actually stop production of the old clusters. What if I accept the replacement now, face an issue again and get the warranty denied due to part number mismatch? I do also somehow like the amber backlit console with the compass. Anyone here with any information or source for confirming this?
I too faced the fogging issue and was given the same response. Mine is 2021 model with white backlight + Compass + Tripper. It seems the earlier design had a defect and so they are coming with a new model, but this is without compass. I somehow like the compass, it atleast gives a general direction and gels with Himalayan's offroad character.
So far the fogging has been negligible, i need to see how it fares in the monsoon.
gypsyFreak is offline  
Old 13th June 2023, 19:52   #1618
BHPian
 
sunejarahul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: DLxx
Posts: 170
Thanked: 222 Times
Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
I too faced the fogging issue ... So far the fogging has been negligible, i need to see how it fares in the monsoon.
I had been seeing the fogging issue for a long time too. It just got worse over time with a lot of dust seeping into the odometer. Attaching a photo for reference:

The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_3007.jpeg

I agree, the compass does come in handy sometimes and will be a hard miss. But, giving it up for a better quality unit which doesn't fog up should be a fair trade-off. Anyone here with the newer Himalayan or console who can confirm if theirs does or doesn't fog up?
sunejarahul is offline  
Old 14th June 2023, 08:05   #1619
//R
Newbie
 
//R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 15
Thanked: 56 Times
Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
These plugs don't need gap adjustment, that's the plus of Iridium, as they last longer compared to normal plugs.
I guess that was enough reason to get the Iridium plug apart from the obvious performance gains. I've always preferred a fit-it & forget-it type of a solution to most things in life where this fits perfectly. Managed to get the CR7EIX and also got some dietary supplement from Liqui Moly for the bike along with it thanks to VJ's LRLmotors link who happened to be running some offers incl free shipping. Here's what I got:

The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_3155.jpeg

Next up, fork oil and cone set replacement. Looking to get Maxima 15WT and NTN 30205 bearings. Any suggestions for a marine grease that should be bought along this? I did see Ben's video where he got the cone set replacement done and they applied a good amount of marine grease but don't recall the brand/name of it. What's everyone else doing with their cone sets (replacement & maintenance)? TIA.
//R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 09:29   #1620
BHPian
 
WhiskeyTangoFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 243
Thanked: 854 Times
Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunejarahul View Post
Anyone here with the newer Himalayan or console who can confirm if theirs does or doesn't fog up?
The Console does fog up slightly during really heavy rains on my bike at least, but I haven't had an issue of water or dust ingress.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks