Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2016, 16:26   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I was doing 100-120 kmph on this stretch and the himalayan was easily keeping company. Rumbler strips and even badly designed semi speed breaker rumblers did not pose a problem to the bike as it just seemed to glide over them at decent speed.
That was my impression too when I test rode it. Already I have started feeling the uneasiness on other threads who have taken 7~13L tourers ranging from the Versys to the Tiger, where they are trying to 'justify' their purchase by emphasizing doing 100+ speeds on broken tarmac. Eventually this type of horde mentality will just lead to more accidents. My friend who has done highway rides on his Himalayan has emphasised that it easily holds it ground at 100~120kmph. Anything more then that is just a death trap on our highways, sooner rather than later. 200 may be the new 100 nowadays but there are but a fraction of roads other than the test tracks where that can be achieved with any level of comfort.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 17:26   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
All the 4 Himalayans in stock were May 2016, hence 2nd lot vehicles.
Mate did you manage to notice the welds on the new lot of Himalayan's? If yes then do share.

Congrats once again on the purchase. Sadly for me with an overflowing garage at home I wont be able to add another motorcycle at least in the near future, Except IF RE launches a Twin Cylinder variant of the Himalayan.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 17:45   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
What accessories are these? Can you please list them out?
These must be the 2 types of engine guards that have reached some of the dealerships, though not available yet on mine.

This is the mini engine guard which I like the best

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-engine-guard-mini.jpg

These are the 2 types of engine guards that should be made available (including the mini one I posted above)

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-engine-guard-2-types.jpg

People are also planning to change to the Continental GT Rear View Mirrors, not the bar end ones but the normal ones

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-continental-gt-mirrors-himmalayan.jpg

Also the heel guard from the GT attached to the rear master cylinder on the Himalayan

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-continental-gt-heel-guard-himalayan.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Mate did you manage to notice the welds on the new lot of Himalayan's? If yes then do share.
Yes, the welds were much better. I had posted the pictures of the welds a few pages back in my Test Ride post. They were the same as the test bike which was also from the 2nd lot.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 22:35   #289
BHPian

Just came back from dehradun kasauli and back. Route was doon-nahan-solan-kasauli and back.
If you haven't travelled on this. Please do as this turned out to be an amazing biking road.
The bike performed flawlessly.
Total distance travelled - 400 kms

Positives
Self and wife were transported effortlessly
Ride was comfortable. Suspension is amazing.
Pillion is comfortable
Brakes were adequate
Drive was not tiring
Bike has become much smoother
Great attention magnet

Room for improvement
Power requirement has been flogged endlessly so i will not go there
ABS is sorely missed
Wet patches on curves are dicey
Exhaust note
Bike switched off randomly at alt of 6000 ft..may be some carburettor setting
Headlight inadequate. Thank God for aux lighting
ayon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 22:58   #290
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations to all the people who have bought or booked this bike.

Does anyone have any information when or if an ABS equipped Himalayan is going to be launched?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Old 15th June 2016, 14:56   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These must be the 2 types of engine guards that have reached some of the dealerships, though not available yet on mine.

This is the mini engine guard which I like the best

Attachment 1517796

Cheers...
Thanks for the clarification, can you share the manufacturer?
Are they from Quality Industries? The mini ones are available in Bangalore but have not checked on the regular ones.

With my office visit, time is a bit hard to make for my bike apart from the everyday morning commuting.
Old 15th June 2016, 21:09   #292
Senior - BHPian

The 1st two Himalayans of Meerut are delivered today. Here it is with fellow TeamBhpian amberanand, both of us taking delivery together

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-delivery-15062016_1.jpg

With our Dealer Buddy

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-delivery-15062016_5.jpg

The tank with the tank

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-delivery-15062016_8.jpg

Important Note to all Himalayan Owners -

1. Please change immediately to the longer clutch cable from Classic 350. The gear notchiness is totally gone. No issues slotting to N from either 1st or 2nd. Absolutely smooth for me.

2. Please note the carburetor photo below -

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-delivery-15062016_12.jpg

You can see the idle adjusting spring loaded nut along with the 'brass' screw for adjusting the fuel-air mixture. This brass screw has to be tightened (clockwise) by half a turn when you reach the higher altitudes of Ladakh to give the lean mixture required there and you will have no acceleration issues. This was reported to me by the Regional Service manager of RE today who said this easy adjustment is the reason why a carburetor based bike was adopted by RE for the Himalayas. Once back on the plains you need to reverse it by half a turn anti-clockwise and that is it. The preset setting is 2 and half to 3 turns anticlockwise from zero i.e. when fully tightened clockwise.

Hope this helps. And did I mention... What a bike (for the price)!

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 15th June 2016 at 21:11.
dkaile is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 23:40   #293
BHPian

Himalayan owner numbers are growing, a good sign. congrats to all of you, wishing you happy and safe riding.

I havnt read yet - from your experience, how easy its to start Himalayan by pushing the bike ? (since it doesnt have kick).
OT: In my college days I had a Yamaha RX100, and even with seated position, a bit of push could start the engine.
pcpranav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 00:34   #294
Senior - BHPian

Spank me if this is an OT, but dkaile sir's posts are immensely insightful. As much as I am juggling through numerous Himalayan threads and experiences here, dkaile's ownership report has been by far the most technically quenching and just what I was looking for in every thread, as opposed to the normal, like, general, review. Solutions! And that is what we are getting from this gentleman. Boy, am I excited like a puppy.
Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 16th June 2016 at 00:35.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 16:18   #295
Senior - BHPian

My ownership thread is now live at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...re-tourer.html

Please let me know your feedbacks and responses. Will try my best to keep it updated, informative and unbiased as all my other ownership threads.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 16th June 2016 at 16:22.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 17:06   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can see the idle adjusting spring loaded nut along with the 'brass' screw for adjusting the fuel-air mixture. This brass screw has to be tightened (clockwise) by half a turn when you reach the higher altitudes of Ladakh to give the lean mixture required there and you will have no acceleration issues.
I think you have confused the idle speed screw with the idle mixture screw. The spring loaded screw shown in the pic is used to adjust the idle speed of the engine by altering the butterfly valve's position at zero throttle. Adjusting this screw will not have any effect on the fuel mixture on rest of the throttle positions.

Nevertheless. Congrats on the buy. Wishing you many happy miles on this capable machine.
Old 16th June 2016, 17:50   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I think you have confused the idle speed screw with the idle mixture screw. The spring loaded screw shown in the pic is used to adjust the idle speed of the engine by altering the butterfly valve's position at zero throttle. Adjusting this screw will not have any effect on the fuel mixture on rest of the throttle positions.
Thanks. That is what I mentioned. That spring loaded screw is just for setting the idle speed (between 1150~1500 rpm) . I am not talking about that screw at all. It is the BRASS screw besides it that is used to alter the fuel mixture. The same was confirmed by their Regional Service Head.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 00:11   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. That is what I mentioned. That spring loaded screw is just for setting the idle speed (between 1150~1500 rpm) . I am not talking about that screw at all. It is the BRASS screw besides it that is used to alter the fuel mixture. The same was confirmed by their Regional Service Head.

Cheers...
Perhaps this carburetor is something new that I haven't seen before?

On all of the carburetors I'm aware of that have a brass (or whatever) mixture screw, the screw only controls the air/fuel mixture when the engine is idling.

At any throttle position more open than an idle, it is the pilot jet (at moderate openings) and the main jet (at wide openings) that control the air/fuel mixture.

Either this is a new type of carburetor with a screw adjustable pilot jet and main jet, or the dealer/Rep is mistaken about it being an adjustment for riding at high altitudes.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 05:44   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Perhaps this carburetor is something new that I haven't seen before?

On all of the carburetors I'm aware of that have a brass (or whatever) mixture screw, the screw only controls the air/fuel mixture when the engine is idling.

At any throttle position more open than an idle, it is the pilot jet (at moderate openings) and the main jet (at wide openings) that control the air/fuel mixture.

Either this is a new type of carburetor with a screw adjustable pilot jet and main jet, or the dealer/Rep is mistaken about it being an adjustment for riding at high altitudes.
You have a absolutely valid observation ArizonaJim and that is why I was confused too, having gone through various carburetor threads. This carb has a throttle body sensor seemingly but still what you say seems logical. Don't know how the Service chap was so confident about this. Will try to dig deeper into this.

Cheers...
Old 17th June 2016, 23:43   #300
BHPian

Another seemingly skewed report

http://m.rediff.com/getahead/report/...o/20160614.htm

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks