Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2017, 13:44   #661
BANNED

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
On the other hand, I am a bit surprised looking at he 15000km interval for clutch plate replacement and the 10000km brake pad replacement. Is this a normal range or is it too frequent? I don't remember replacing either of these in my unicorn which I owned for 7 years and 27000kms and always serviced at authorised service centers. Maybe I am wrong. What do you think guys?
Hey Jude, that's because this bike is meant to go off-road. In these situations, you're forced to slip the clutch quite often to get out if the bike's stuck. I've been on Unroad Goa ride and saw the clutch overheat on one Himalayan.

For most of us, who'll use the bike on the road, the clutch may not need replacement. But again, if the rider has a habit of slipping more often, then the plates may need to be swapped sooner, as in at 15,000km.
Old 8th October 2017, 11:18   #662
BHPian

Hi Folks

Was out of the country for a couple of years . As soon as I came back wanted to book a bike. Took a test ride of the Himalayan BS4 in Snow White. My last bike was a humble TVS Victor. So for me - There was an adequate power jump , but at the same time 25 HP of the Himalayan also meant that it wasn’t intimidating . Despite being a tall bike - the seat height was comfortable. I did a quick test ride of 4 Kms. The engine was definitely smooth . Convinced - I went ahead and did the booking with a down payment of 5500 INR. The delivery timeline is around 45 days as the first batch of BS4 Himalayans have just recently come for delivery
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-381c4e26f56443e1accb8fddc6802fe5.jpeg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-90e4aba2ecb64764baed94c36cf17243.jpeg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-ffc8fb4a36414948b63507de477aeae1.jpeg  

Sree_Ganesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 14:56   #663
Team-BHP Support

Would this be a good replacement for Himalayan’s headlamp? Any other better alternative? Max budget till 10K
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-f2f083a3a2bb439ea482155b886cfd28.jpeg  

Old 16th October 2017, 15:16   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Would this be a good replacement for Himalayan’s headlamp? Any other better alternative? Max budget till 10K
Saw this on a Himalayan at the service center. Let me see if it is still there and try it out
Sree_Ganesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 16:18   #665
BHPian

Has anyone switched out their head lamp with a more robust, brighter light bulb for a Himalayan?

I am running two pairs of LED spots, the high mounted one doing a good job and the low slung ones, so-so in terms of their spread, reach and brightness.

Here's a picture of the spot lamps compared with the head-lamp. That it sucks, is an understatement.

Any advice? Has anyone upgraded?
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-milou-headlamps.jpg  

Old 18th December 2017, 22:35   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonreborn View Post

Here's a picture of the spot lamps compared with the head-lamp. That it sucks, is an understatement.
Spot on. I struggled with the stock lamps on a particularly dark stretch of road between Arsikere and Tumkur. This was late in the evening ( around 730) and I was on my way back to Bangalore from Gokarna. The spread of the low beam was very poor. The high beam was useless as it illuminated every object 20 feet above the road but not road itself. I had a very tough time navigating that 60 km stretch.

Did no one at RE notice this very obvious problem? Maybe they did and decided it was nt worth fixing. Without a headlamp upgrade, one cannot use the bike safely at night on an unilluminated road.
Old 19th December 2017, 17:55   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
The high beam was useless as it illuminated every object 20 feet above the road but not road itself. I had a very tough time navigating that 60 km stretch
Is the beam height not adjustable? I would be surprised if it isn't
Old 19th December 2017, 20:00   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
Spot on. I struggled with the stock lamps on a particularly dark stretch of road between Arsikere and Tumkur. This was late in the evening ( around 730) and I was on my way back to Bangalore from Gokarna. The spread of the low beam was very poor. The high beam was useless as it illuminated every object 20 feet above the road but not road itself. I had a very tough time navigating that 60 km stretch.

Did no one at RE notice this very obvious problem? Maybe they did and decided it was nt worth fixing. Without a headlamp upgrade, one cannot use the bike safely at night on an unilluminated road.
The whole lamp pivots using the screws fastening it to the frame. A hex key and you are sorted.

That doesn't help anyway. Pitiful beam from the stock bulb. At wits end about switching out the bulb.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 19th December 2017, 21:13   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At wits end about switching out the bulb.

Any ideas anyone?
This is what I have on my duke:

http://s.aliexpress.com/Una6bu6J

The difference is day and night (please excuse the pun). This one is pricey but had excellent reviews. There are cheaper options available too. Comes in a pair so u can sell the other one to someone else in your riding group or keep it as spare

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 19th December 2017 at 21:15.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 14:35   #670
BHPian

Quote:
The whole lamp pivots using the screws fastening it to the frame. A hex key and you are sorted.
I need to check if I can get the frame to pivot. Thanks.Regardless of whether the frame can be adjusted, the lamps have to be replaced. Very poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Is the beam height not adjustable? I would be surprised if it isn't
Apparently , it is. I was not aware of that.But the spread is quite bad.
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:30   #671
BHPian

Picked my Himalayan Sleet yesterday. Delivery taken without the accessories kit which will be arriving in a day or two.
Ridden only for about 40km, initial impression is its smoother than carb version, gear shifts are smoother. First thing I changed is the headlight bulb to a LED one, it makes a heaven of difference to illumination.
Detailed review follows as I munch some miles.
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-1519271971320.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-1519271984759.jpg  

techfreak is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:59   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Picked my Himalayan Sleet yesterday.
Congratulations on a wonderful bike. Do post the photos with the panniers and also give a review of their build quality. Ride safe, ride fully geared.

Cheers...
Old 22nd February 2018, 10:49   #673
Senior - BHPian

How is the overall feedback on the FI in terms of issues as compared to the Carb? Haven't seen any reported issues on the FI except some mileage issues (isolated issues, not sure if its common!). Have they finally ironed out all the issues for good?
Old 22nd February 2018, 11:07   #674
BHPian

Congrats, the bike looks great!!! How are the brakes, esp the rear one? On the old himalayan I found that the rear wheel locked up very easily. Also which LED bulb did you end up using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Picked my Himalayan Sleet yesterday. Delivery taken without the accessories kit which will be arriving in a day or two.
Ridden only for about 40km, initial impression is its smoother than carb version, gear shifts are smoother. First thing I changed is the headlight bulb to a LED one, it makes a heaven of difference to illumination.
Detailed review follows as I munch some miles.
Old 22nd February 2018, 16:45   #675
BHPian

Engine seems to be crisp and brakes haven't locked up till now though I have hardly ridden it.
Weekend planning for a longish ride so will update then.
LED I am using is V16 Turbo, costed me 1200 bucks during some sale on AliExpress else a pair costs some 3500 bucks.
Engine is not only crisp gear shifts are also very un RE like.. Very smooth.
Final picture will emerge after I log some good miles.
Will update soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks