Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2018, 17:21   #706
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Did my first service at 510 km Today morning.
Fixed the rear brake cylinder guard from GT
Overall cost is around Rs:1300. (Concept Motors, Trivandrum, Kerala)

Registered for the One Ride event on 8th April too.

Now lets begin the rides.

(A pic from second day.)
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20180320_193149.jpg  

aneeshanand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 16:12   #707
Team-BHP Support

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20180331_104812871_hdr.jpg

Crash guard from Delhi Motors, Hyderabad.
Cost is 950 and brand is Quality.

I fixed it right there outside the shop itself using the tool kit in the bike. However fixed the bolt next to the silencer after coming home and the bike had cooled down.

The bike was registered today morning. First service appointment set for Monday.
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 11:48   #708
Team-BHP Support

I have a slightly weird question.
On my old Thunderbird, I can take off both my hands and ride perfectly straight till it loses momentum.
But the Himalayan tends to lean over to the left, forcing me to move a little to the right to balance it.

There is no pulling or anything when riding. Its only when I take off both my hands that this leaning happens.

I am not sure if the bikes geometry or seating position that causes this.

Anyone else experience the same?
Old 2nd April 2018, 12:22   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
On my old Thunderbird, I can take off both my hands and ride perfectly straight till it loses momentum.
But the Himalayan tends to lean over to the left, forcing me to move a little to the right to balance it.

There is no pulling or anything when riding. Its only when I take off both my hands that this leaning happens.

To me it looks like you need to get the cone set adjusted. You can do a self check- Put the bike on main stand, push the rear part of the bike downwards such that the front wheel is free and not touching the ground. Turn the handlebar to the left and right. I am pretty much sure it will be tight.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 23:28   #710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

The usual cause of this is, the rear wheel is not properly aligned with the front wheel.
Without proper alignment the rear wheel is trying to drive the motorcycle either right or left of the direction the front wheel is steering.
If the alignment error is small this won't be noticed unless the rider takes his hands off of the handlebars. Then, the motorcycle will begin to drift either right or left depending on which direction the rear wheel is pushing it.
(A road with a high center crown can also make the motorcycle drift towards the high part of the crown, usually towards the center of the roadway.)

Alignment problems can and do happen on brand new motorcycles from all of the manufacturers if the person installing the rear wheel is not very careful.
After installing several hundred rear wheels it is easy to get a little sloppy.

There are several ways to check this rear wheel alignment, one of the easiest being to rest the motorcycle on the center stand.
Then, using a long, very straight small board and with the handlebars pointing the front wheel straight ahead, put the board against one side of the rear tyre holding it so it contacts the tyre at its front and rear.
The forward end of the board should be just clearing the side of the front tyre.
After checking one side, move the board to the opposite side of the rear wheel and recheck it.

If the board is clearing the front tyre on one side and hitting the front tyre on the other side, you have found the problem.
It can be corrected by loosening the rear wheel axle bolt and adjusting the two features made to align the wheel. (Do not loosen or tighten the rear chain drive unless it also needs adjustment. If it needs adjustment, do this at the same time your aligning the rear wheel).

Another was is to tie a string to the rear wheel aft of the axle.
Then, stretch the string and wrap it around the front of the front tyre so it is on the same side as the rear tyre string. Wrap it a few times around the front of the front tyre so it is now on the opposite side of the front tyre and then stretch it and tie it to the rear wheel aft of the axle.
You now should have a string that goes from the rear of the rear tyre to the front of the front tyre and then goes on the opposite side of the motercycle from the front of the front tyre to the rear of the rear tyre.

If the rear tyre is properly aligned, the string should be lightly touching both the front tyre, aft of its axle and the rear tyre, ahead of its axle on both sides of the machine.
(The string will be contacting the sidewall's of both tyres two places on the rear tyre and two places on the front tyre on each side of the motorcycle.

If it is not, adjust the position of the rear tyre until this condition exists.

I should also point out that motorcycles with "quick steering" like off road bikes tend to be very sensitive about wheel alignment when they are ridden on pavement.
Even with the rear wheel properly aligned, a off road motorcycle can "drift" on pavement so that even the slightest imbalance will cause it to drift.
In the dirt, there is so much slipping and sliding the effect is not readily appearent. Also, the rider would need to be some sort of nut to ride off road without using the handlebars 100% of the time.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 2nd April 2018 at 23:33.
ArizonaJim is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 12:25   #711
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
To me it looks like you need to get the cone set adjusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
The usual cause of this is, the rear wheel is not properly aligned with the front wheel.
Thank you Rakesh and Jim.

Today morning I had a longish ride with my wife as pillion. The pulling action was very pronounced and after dropping her home, I went over to the RE service center.
The mechanic asked about the issue and immediately said this is a known issue. He also took a test ride.
I have to bring in the bike tomorrow for a free cone set replacement under warranty.

Last edited by bblost : 3rd April 2018 at 12:27.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 19:10   #712
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

In defence of the RE Himalalayan.

bsenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 21:11   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenroy View Post
In defence of the RE Himalalayan.

LOL!! A good video concept by the uploader and yes, the facts have been stated point bank.

I really like the part where he mentions about owning an adventure bike but not wanting to get your hands dirty. 😀

That said, I feel all RE models need the TLC and DIY approach. Some people can handle it, some cannot. With improvements on the REH, the reliability factor has improved to typical RE standards.
Old 7th April 2018, 14:50   #714
BHPian

For those are yet to take delivery of their REH, it would be worthwhile to compare the rates offered by whichever is the insurance company tied up with the RE dealer.

Out here at Coimbatore, Bullmenn Motors is tied up with ICICI Lombard and they quoted ₹14,700/- for a three year, zero depreciation package - including GST@18%.

United India Insurance (whom I have been a customer of for many years now) quoted ₹10,700/- for the same package as above.

Both companies used 90% of the ex-showroom cost as the IDV.

Obviously, I opted for United India and faced a reluctance from the dealer. They actually tried giving me the B.S. that I can only use their insurance company!

To which of course, I enquired if they would care to get educated about my rights as a consumer. They gave up eventually and handed over proforma invoice I needed.

Downright ridiculous of them to try a stunt like that, I say!

Anyway, I finally get to take delivery of my Himalayan on Monday - 56 days after I had booked it.

Last edited by rideon74 : 7th April 2018 at 14:53. Reason: pesky typos!
rideon74 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 06:06   #715
BHPian

After almost 2 years of getting the bike, I finally went ahead and bought an aftermarket slip-on muffler for my Himalayan. I bought the Grunt v3 by Indimotard's Greasehouse Customs. Got it for Rs. 6927 + shipping in their summer sale. Here's the link for it if anyone's interested.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20180407_161431.jpg

I just got it installed yesterday, I noticed a bit of increase in the midrange. The bike doesn't lug like it did with the stock muffler at around 2000rpm. I'm going for a short breakfast ride this morning, so I'll let you know how it performs. Attaching some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20180407_165916.jpg
maker_of_things is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 22:32   #716
BHPian

Got my new REH finally. Received the call from the dealer around 3:30pm and the Mrs. & myself were at the dealership at 4:30pm sharp as needed.

This particular dealer's attitude towards the delivery process was hardly much to talk about or remember.

After my 'personal' PDI, they handed over the entire process to a junior staff - who looked quite bored and led us out to where an equally bored looking retail manager stood for a handing over pic and then quickly scooted off.

The junior then ran through (just couldn't follow a word the chap was saying) the mandatory explanations of the controls, etc...including a goof up by mentioning that the tank capacity was 20 litres (didn't bother correcting him - lest I break his pace), handed over the free (joke-of-a) helmet and then ended the ceremony with an abrupt, "okay sir, you can go now".

No kidding...it's not like we wanted to stay longer with these exciting folks!! To be honest, after 57 days of waiting I was happy enough that there wasn't any long drama to put up with.

We left the dealership, the REH hit the road and the joy seeped in, washing away the rather forgettable delivery experience.

I used the ride back to my place to get used to bike's handling and particularly it's seating position. We took a long route home which was a good 20km ride - with the initial part putting us through the evening rush with a couple of traffic signals & the latter part of it taking us through some rural roads with almost zero traffic.

Things seemed to be in order pretty much. The bike felt very smooth, handling through traffic was effortless and surprisingly, the clutch didn't feel very tight as I'd expected.

During the traffic stretch the heat from the new engine (as mentioned by other first time owners in this thread) was felt right through my jeans - I mean, it was that hot down there! Didn't bother me much once the open rural stretches came around.

I seriously enjoyed the unhurried ride through the rural roads, with the wonderful suspension soaking up the mild bumps and actually making me feel like heading for the smaller ditches with a smile. The Mrs. was happy too since she didn't have to hold on hard when the roads got rough. That was one of our priorities in choosing this vehicle - pillion comfort.

Landed back home to two extremely excited kids and their celebratory quick rides followed. But before dusk settled in, we headed out again to the nearby fields and the Mrs. did the mandatory 'me-on-my-new-bike' pics. Changed into a pair of khaki shorts from the jeans and boy, with the summer heat - did that feel good!

And so my Himalayan story begins - I'm hoping for a good share of touring memories which the bike is built for and less of any unwanted hassles the bike was previously infamous for...

Cheers, everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-reh1.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-reh2.jpg  

rideon74 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 13:27   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneeshanand View Post
Fixed the rear brake cylinder guard from GT
Overall cost is around Rs:1300. (Concept Motors, Trivandrum, Kerala)
Hey, I know it's too late for this but check out price in the pic attahched for the right hand side Heel guard of the Continental GT from an online RE spares provider.

I got to know of the website through this video:

As for the fitting of the same, you'll find in the video that it's just a matter two Allen bolts. Concept motors have overcharged you for the part & fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-right-side-heel-guard-1.png  

rideon74 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 17:17   #718
BHPian

I have ordered this part from this website only. Royalbikes
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 18:58   #719
APV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
Got my new REH finally. ...

Cheers, everyone!
Congratulations on your new ride. Wish you many more happy miles
APV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 21:01   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by APV View Post
Congratulations on your new ride. Wish you many more happy miles

Thanks, man! Happy miles are coming along as expected 😊