Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2018, 19:46   #886
Team-BHP Support

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20181001_111102226.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20181001_1110180492.jpg

I took the bike after clicking these pictures. I don't think they quite understand this stuff. The main Himalayan tech guy was not present. The regular mechanic lacked the finesse this kind of work needs.

In any case the little adjustment he did has reduced the crazy lean that the service had caused.

I will do this on my own or go to my old mechanic.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 14:27   #887
Team-BHP Support

This is a slightly weird post.

A reminder that I have always complained about the seat being uncomfortable.

So after my rear brake shoes being replaced, I started to take steps to avoid having my foot on the brake pedal.
So I started resting the "ball of the foot" on the footpeg.

Damn.
This minor change of just an inch or two has completely changed which part of my butt makes contact with the seat.

No more bunching up of the trousers around the crotch.
A lot more even spread of weight around the seat.

So if you are facing issues with the seat, just try this simple thing.
Use the ball of the foot.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 20:44   #888
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
So if you are facing issues with the seat, just try this simple thing.
Ideally you should be riding with the balls on the pegs and only otherwise for shifting or braking, helps save the toes from grinding against the tarmac when maneuvering tight corners.

The other benefit of riding with balls on pegs are that you get to transfer shock to your god given suspensions, reducing impact on your joints and spine.

A grave mistake I see people doing is locking their knees when standing on the pegs, when encountering tough terrain the balls should be on the pegs and your ass should be off the seat with your knees bent not locked.

And you're not supposed to brake, just let the suspensions do their job as braking only compromises suspension travel which would do more harm for the motorcycle and rider.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 4th October 2018 at 20:45.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 21:05   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Ideally you should be riding with the balls on the pegs and only otherwise for shifting or braking, helps save the toes from grinding against the tarmac when maneuvering tight corners...
Gentlemen, you are absolutely right! I've just started riding after almost 14 years and found it difficult to settle into a comfortable position on the saddle. I assumed that this was because of a lack of flexibility and the additional flab I've put on since the last time I was in the saddle.
Now that I think about it I'd always ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs earlier on my Shogun but tend to rest my heels on the pegs now.
Roy.S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 22:49   #890
BHPian

The Royal Enfield Himalayan Test-Ride Thread

Quote:
A reminder that I have always complained about the seat being uncomfortable.

And I had done so too. An update from my end:

Earlier, I had posted that getting my seat redone with the addition of some memory foam had made the rides much easier on my behind. Alas, the honeymoon has ended all too soon. I have clocked approx. 1560km of highway runs since the alterations.

In my recent ride out, the old problems were back again - the eventual sharp pain in the buttocks, stiffness at the knees and as bblost has mentioned, the irritating bunching up of the trousers around the crotch area.

Came across this seat design from a US company called Seat Concepts, shared by some members on the REH FB USA group. A couple of riders have given positive reviews after installation.

Note the changes in the side profile and width of the riders seat. The first pic shows the original REH seat width (the one without a cover):

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1538672536.752258.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1538672553.240699.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1538672588.322389.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1538672615.246598.jpg

The company website lists the (rider) seat height as being 1.5 inches taller than the stock seat and wider too. I feel they have worked out a design that balances the aesthetics well.

Me thinks here in lies the solution. I suppose the combo of the foams I have used will do but with changes to the overall thickness & width of the seat. This would be my next experiment.

The challenge I figure would be to get the templates done just right. Fingers crossed!

(Pics by the owner, Jesse Kimbal)

Last edited by rideon74 : 4th October 2018 at 22:55.
rideon74 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 00:24   #891
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Ideally you should be riding with the balls on the pegs
Unlearning 15+ years of riding my Thunderbird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I assumed that this was because of a lack of flexibility and the additional flab I've put on since the last time I was in the saddle.
Repeat after me, "Its all Muscle". Fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
And I had done so too. An update from my end:
Try riding in this way. I know it sounds very childish but it works for me.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 08:37   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Try riding in this way. I know it sounds very childish but it works for me.

Glad it does. So far, I found the change semi-effective in my case - surely this is because our body dimensions and pain points are different.

On a personal note, I would really like to try and work out decent seat comfort that can allow for 5-6 hours saddle time per day when required. I suppose the architect in me is besotted with the idea of improving upon on something that needs better functionality. Will update after trying it out.
rideon74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 12:27   #893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
So here's me putting the little birds in my head to rest
Granted the Classic felt much better and much much easier to drive compared to the Himalayan.
Will that make a difference on which bike I should opt for?

Man, the next few weeks are going to be tough.
So after nearly 3 weeks, I'm still on the fence (wrt Himalayan vs the Classic). I have another 2 weeks before the "deadline" arrives.

And just to throw a spanner in the works, one of my friend has given me another alternative He's offered his 2010 Machismo 500 for sale. Haven't had a chance to discuss in detail (condition, mileage, etc) but my guess it's been sitting idle with minimal usage over the last 1+ years since he became a dad.

Now this is not the ideal thread for this query, but since a Himalayan is one of the options; so I'll still go ahead posting the query.

The 2018 bikes (Classic & Himalayan) would be the latest models + ABS; however I'm guessing I'll get the friend's bike for around a lakh (not including any tinkering that is required). Do I even go on this route? Have absolutely zero view on this.
Old 5th October 2018, 12:38   #894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The 2018 bikes (Classic & Himalayan) would be the latest models + ABS; however I'm guessing I'll get the friend's bike for around a lakh (not including any tinkering that is required). Do I even go on this route? Have absolutely zero view on this.
My suggestion would be a new bike ( Classic or Himalayan).

The Machismo 500 was a powerful bike in its day, not anymore. The parts are difficult to come by and you will for sure have engine work or other age related work coming up the more you use it. I would say the Machismo 500 only if you want that specific model since it was a rare bike when it was being sold as well.

Between the Classic and Himalayan, it depends on how you intent to use it.
Old 5th October 2018, 12:58   #895
Team-BHP Support

I LOVE as in absolutely love my 2003 Thunderbird.

But to be honest the Himalayan outshines it in every aspect. Speed, NVH and so on.
The Thunderbird still wins in pure comfort and raw happiness.

I would not bring a 8 year old bike into a decision between a Classic 500 and a Himalayan. They are a world apart.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20181001_1202104152.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 5th October 2018 at 13:01.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 15:09   #896
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
My suggestion would be a new bike ( Classic or Himalayan).
Quote:
I would not bring a 8 year old bike into a decision between a Classic 500 and a Himalayan. They are a world apart.
Thanks guys. I see the sense in your points; plus ABS is a big factor for me. Having have had bike accidents in the past, I simply do not want to miss on this aspect at all.

As for the pending question of Classic vs Himalayan, well I'm guessing I'm going to take it till the D-day
Old 6th October 2018, 10:18   #897
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know if the ABS on the Himalayan can be switched off? It’ll be quite a miss if it isn’t
Old 6th October 2018, 12:29   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Repeat after me, "Its all Muscle". Fixed it.

Guys like me who have really put on a lot of muscle over the years would probably need to get better seats.

Quote:
As for the pending question of Classic vs Himalayan, well I'm guessing I'm going to take it till the D-day

Having ridden both I would point you in the direction of the Himalayan. Its a well sorted out bike. The Classic has too much "character" for my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Anyone know if the ABS on the Himalayan can be switched off? It’ll be quite a miss if it isn’t

I think it doesn't have a switch but you can pull out the ABS fuse when required. This is obviously tedious. However, it might be possible to rig up an ABS switch as a DIY. Will probably void the warranty.

Last edited by Roy.S : 6th October 2018 at 12:51. Reason: Formatting
Old 6th October 2018, 19:00   #899
BANNED

Quote:
Anyone know if the ABS on the Himalayan can be switched off? It'll be quite a miss if it isn't
Yeah, you need to pull the Fuse.
Old 6th October 2018, 20:30   #900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pulling the plug on all the 3 ABS fuses would disable it; the normal hydraulics would still function I believe

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks