Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2019, 17:44   #1021
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

I recently did a short run with a a few friends to Devarayanadurga (a temple atop a small hill ~70 kms from Bangalore). This place is off the Bangalore-Pune highway just a few kilometers before Tumkur. Once you exit the national highway, the road is single lane but is an absolute hoot to ride on. Smooth with long winding curves and greenery on both sides.

However, the Himalayan is a slight let down on such roads. When one takes a corner at a good(but safe) speed, the Himalayan feels nervous. The high GC might not lend itself to cornering but the bike should at least feel planted. When you are at the apex of the corner, there is this weird feeling that the bike might slip. It is probably the undersized front tyre which contributes to this behavior.
satishv1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 22:35   #1022
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
However, the Himalayan is a slight let down on such roads. When one takes a corner at a good(but safe) speed, the Himalayan feels nervous. The high GC might not lend itself to cornering but the bike should at least feel planted. When you are at the apex of the corner, there is this weird feeling that the bike might slip. It is probably the undersized front tyre which contributes to this behavior.
Check air-pressure.

I use 32f and 35r and that works for me. I don't know if it will work for you.

Also you really need to be willing to ignore that initial feeling of complete and utter fear when trying to lean in this bike.

Its completely different from how I used to turn my old Thunderbird and the limitation for me was my own fear.

I have still not scrapped the footpegs, so its still a long way to go before I can say I can turn really fast.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 23:51   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Check air-pressure.

I use 32f and 35r and that works for me. I don't know if it will work for you.

Also you really need to be willing to ignore that initial feeling of complete and utter fear when trying to lean in this bike.

Its completely different from how I used to turn my old Thunderbird and the limitation for me was my own fear.

I have still not scrapped the footpegs, so its still a long way to go before I can say I can turn really fast.
The service guys recommended 25f 35r and I've stuck to that for the last couple of years. Maybe I will try upping the psi in the front tyre to see if it makes a difference.

As you say, I think it is about taking that leap of faith and trusting the bike to do its job on the corners
satishv1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 22:17   #1024
Team-BHP Support

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20190719_173508.jpg

Not even 14,000 kilometres and the tire is showing signs of fatigue.

I guess it's good for another 2,000 kilometres.

So will have to change it before November. Any suggestions on brand or model name.
Old 21st July 2019, 19:58   #1025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Attachment 1896593

Not even 14,000 kilometres and the tire is showing signs of fatigue.

I guess it's good for another 2,000 kilometres.

So will have to change it before November. Any suggestions on brand or model name.
Timsun tires are getting some good reviews these days. Why dont you go for them? 15,000 kms seems pretty low for Ceat tires!
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 09:14   #1026
BHPian

Is there any news of a new Himalayan coming up? (BS-VI?)

I've booked one and now I am just wondering if I should hold off the purchase?
Old 11th August 2019, 01:00   #1027
Senior - BHPian

@cataclysm
Is anyone's guess. Of course they should be working on the upcoming regulations, but that shouldn't stop you from booking one now. The recent ones do come with ABS, FI, and satisfies all the Green Goers. Absolutely not a deal breaker or a reason call it off. Yore till today, they ride and that's what matters. It's just the pollution norms, and nothing to worry about.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 09:58   #1028
Distinguished - BHPian

Word on the street is that a 40hp himalayan from the same 410 cc engine is being tested. A probable launch this December during the rider mania, what have you.

Considering there is no mainstream media report about this, it is either hearsay, or RE is deliberately planting some thing to coincide with the 390a launch.
Old 12th August 2019, 12:31   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Word on the street is that a 40hp himalayan from the same 410 cc engine is being tested.
Considering there is no mainstream media report about this, it is either hearsay, or RE is deliberately planting some thing to coincide with the 390a launch.
I wonder what have they done to prevent this, it has become an all too common sight with repetitive failures of this joint. Many a trip has come to a premature end.

With adverts claiming and promoting touring, adventure and what not, this is a sad reality. One of our riding group friend left from Pune to Ladakh, only to return from Dhule by bus as his bike faced this exact same failure.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-fb_img_1565592656704.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-fb_img_1565592662839.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-fb_img_1565592659546.jpg

It really puts a big question mark whether or not one can venture on long distance rides with this. The company usually closes such issues on a One-to-One basis under goodwill, this results in the said part being retained by the company and results of analysis are never shared.

Pic Credit: Facebook, a rider has posted this on the Royal Enfield Himalayan Group.

Is there a way to reinforce or prevent this from happening, apart from not riding or is just the proverbial

Cheers,
Trojan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 16:53   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
I wonder what have they done to prevent this, it has become an all too common sight with repetitive failures of this joint. Many a trip has come to a premature end.

With adverts claiming and promoting touring, adventure and what not, this is a sad reality. One of our riding group friend left from Pune to Ladakh, only to return from Dhule by bus as his bike faced this exact same failure.

Attachment 1904487

Attachment 1904488

Attachment 1904489

It really puts a big question mark whether or not one can venture on long distance rides with this. The company usually closes such issues on a One-to-One basis under goodwill, this results in the said part being retained by the company and results of analysis are never shared.

Pic Credit: Facebook, a rider has posted this on the Royal Enfield Himalayan Group.

Is there a way to reinforce or prevent this from happening, apart from not riding or is just the proverbial

Cheers,
Was the bike bring ridden over aggressively?
Old 12th August 2019, 18:11   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Was the bike bring ridden over aggressively?
Could you define “over aggressively”?

Let’s not roll up our sleeves to bash the customer. Adventure riding isn’t gentle / not supposed to be gentle. Unless he threw the bike off a cliff, this shouldn’t have happened. Period!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 18:53   #1032
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Period!
Just for perspective I'd come up on a similar issue related to a Dominar where the rider had braked at high speeds before encountering a rough patch that cracked his chassis.

Not blaming the rider since it was an instinctive reaction but such errors can bring about a similar result when it comes to the chassis giving up.

Couldn't find the thread but if I recall right his rear suspension mount had also given up due to the impact including both front and rear alloys. The parts were replaced after claiming insurance.
Old 12th August 2019, 18:59   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Ridiculous QC by Royal Enfield. Could have easily caused a big mishap. If something like this would happen abroad - RE would get sued for a huge amount. Which is probably why they have a different assembly line for exports and we Indians get crap like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Just for perspective I'd come up on a similar issue related to a Dominar where the rider had braked at high speeds before encountering a rough patch that cracked his chassis.
High speed braking leading to cracked chassis ? Wow
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 19:08   #1034
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
High speed braking leading to cracked chassis ? Wow
More common than you'd think, rather than speed the issue here is compromised suspension travel, which results in the shock being transferred to the alloys, chassis and everything else attached to it.

Hence the thumb rule to never brake hard when encountering unexpected rough patches.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 19:52   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Just for perspective I'd come up on a similar issue related to a Dominar where the rider had braked at high speeds before encountering a rough patch that cracked his chassis
Thanks. IMO it’s not ok what happened to the Dominar either. But one might still discount that because it’s happened to a street oriented Bike...maybe. An adventure bike is meant to be ridden on a “rough surface”. Rougher the merrier, no?

We’ve seen multiple examples of these “go anywhere” junks from RE disintegrating like egg shells. Still we ask... how was the bike being ridden. It doesn’t compute

RE should be ashamed of what they have put out. I’m livid that they took the moniker of the worlds mightiest mountains and slapped it on this POS contraption
Urban_Nomad is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks