Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2020, 19:22   #1171
Senior - BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
As far as the choke/bi starter goes, it has not helped me too much. Thanks to members here who have explained how exactly the bi starter system works. What I tend to do is to apply some steady throttle as soon as she cranks - at around 2000 rpm for a minute or so. Works so much better than using the choke lever. Is there any harm in this practice?
To your last point, it's absolutely okay, whether it's bi-starter or by-right wrist, doesn't matter. If she idles fine, that's all that matters. Mine starts with less than one full crank every morning and idles perfectly. Very rarely, she stalls immediately after starting. But sometimes, she turns off with a loud cough immediately after idling for couple of seconds. Thumb the starter again, and she purrs like a kitten perfectly.

Nothing wrong in using the throttle very mildly after the engine cranks to make the engine get stable idle, nothing wrong. I sometimes even forget there's a thing called bi-starter. She cranks, she starts, she warms up and off we go.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 15th March 2020 at 19:23.
VijayAnand1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 21:47   #1172
Team-BHP Support

I last rode my bike on the 16th of March. Today checked it and found the battery was completely down.
Used jumper cables to get it back to life. The positive terminal in the bike is places is such an awkward location that my regular sized jumpers had a difficult time getting a good lock on them.

Let the bike idle for a few mins and then took a ride thru the apartment parking lot.
When I came back to my garage, I let it idle for a total of 20 minutes.

I almost wanted to cry looking at the full tank of gas and no possibility of getting to the main road.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 00:43   #1173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Today checked it and found the battery was completely down.
But why is that? My 2014 duke 390 with a battery that was changed in 2017 fired up in literally half a second. I’ve seen a similar issue with other Himalayan’s too, with one guy having to jump start his bike if he didn’t ride for more than a week. This is a less than a year old Himalayan. Is the problem battery or something else?
Old 20th April 2020, 00:57   #1174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
But why is that? My 2014 duke 390 with a battery that was changed in 2017 fired up in literally half a second. I’ve seen a similar issue with other Himalayan’s too, with one guy having to jump start his bike if he didn’t ride for more than a week. This is a less than a year old Himalayan. Is the problem battery or something else?
Bike was unused for 35 days. It had (now disconnected) USB charger that has a tiny blue light, which was always on.

Original battery and the bike is from March 2018.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 02:21   #1175
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I let it idle for a total of 20 minutes.
It's an Air Cooled machine, do not let it idle for more than a minute or two else you'd be prematurely wearing down components.

Information is directly lifted from owners manual pertaining to air cooled motors one of them being my P220.

As for the battery, I haven't touched my motorcycles in about a month, not planning on touching anytime soon as well, lets see if my 3 year old Amaron would fire up without throwing a tantrum, though in the past the old Exide Freedom has done so even after sitting idle for the better part of a year.

Let's wait and watch!

P.S. As for wiring chargers, you could use a Fuse Tap(Preferred over Wire Tap) and connect accessories to it, so that power comes ON and OFF according to your ignition switch.

You can source them from Aliexpress or good enough electronic shops around you.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 16:41   #1176

Guys. I recently purchased Himalayan and planning to go for a ride with my better half. Since we planned to carry luggages for 3 days for 2 people, my plan is to take backpacks too. She finds it little difficult to climb along with luggages with current foot rest at rear. Any suggestions friends?
Old 27th April 2020, 21:59   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriram8een View Post
Guys. I recently purchased Himalayan and planning to go for a ride with my better half. Since we planned to carry luggages for 3 days for 2 people, my plan is to take backpacks too. She finds it little difficult to climb along with luggages with current foot rest at rear. Any suggestions friends?
My wife and I also do rides together. For a 3 day trip, we have never needed more than a tank bag. This is what I use: https://viaterragear.com/shop/luggag...ycle-tank-bag/

24 liters is more than sufficient. It comes with a rain cover as well.
In addition, you can tie down another backpack to the luggage rack.

For longer rides, you can buy saddle bags with saddle stays. This is what I use:
Saddle stay: https://www.bikenbiker.com/products/...ddle-stay-zana
Saddle bags: https://www.rynoxgears.com/products/...ddlebags-black
shyamg28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 20:33   #1178
BHPian

Can anyone suggest a good Top Box for the Himalayan? Requirements are the following:

1. Price - 10-12k all inclusive (including Top box, supporting racks etc.)
2. Storage - Should be able to hold one full-face helmet, couple of riding jackets & knee-guards.
3. Usage - everyday commuting to office. Touring (anything from 2 to 20 days).
4. Safety - should be able to leave it fixed on the bike when it's parked anywhere/everywhere.
5. High-speed handling - Cruising at sub-120kmph speeds should be possible without interference.
6. Ease of use - Clip-on setup so that it can be attached/detached with ease.

SHAD29/SHAD33 seems good to me as well as the ASG SG-32 and a few others. Would like to read personal experiences though.

I almost always ride with the wife when going out of town. When we stop mid-destination to visit places, we don't have any place to leave our jackets. I think a top box will be of huge benefit. I have heard that top boxes can come loose on rough terrains, or if they are loaded more than they should be. I don't plan to take it off road, but in India that's pretty much a given within city or highways. I understand that it does not make sense on trails (correct me if otherwise). Much appreciate any suggestions.
Old 28th April 2020, 21:08   #1179
Distinguished - BHPian

Up the size of your box. 50-55 litres at the minimum to store two helmets. Or two jackets and one helmet.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 21:23   #1180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Up the size of your box. 50-55 litres at the minimum to store two helmets. Or two jackets and one helmet.
Ok, so you're saying 30l isn't enough to store 2 jackets and 1 helmet? What about just 2 jackets and a pair of knee guards instead?

Also, 50-55l sounds biiiiggg to me. I don't know, but feel as though it would significantly impact the Himalayan's ride in terms of rough terrain handling as well as cruising speed, which is already at a sub-par 100kmph (this is my personal opinion after riding it for 23k kms over 1.5 years). I can understand 50l on a 650cc, but the Himalayan?
Old 28th April 2020, 21:49   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Can anyone suggest a good Top Box for the Himalayan?
Since you are based out of Bangalore, I would really suggest you to visit bike'n'biker and check for yourself. Not sure whether you have done that already. These guys have lots of options. Just google for the address.
paramesh3210 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 21:50   #1182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so you're saying 30l isn't enough to store 2 jackets and 1 helmet? What about just 2 jackets and a pair of knee guards instead?

Also, 50-55l sounds biiiiggg to me. I don't know, but feel as though it would significantly impact the Himalayan's ride in terms of rough terrain handling as well as cruising speed, which is already at a sub-par 100kmph (this is my personal opinion after riding it for 23k kms over 1.5 years). I can understand 50l on a 650cc, but the Himalayan?
Sadly 30 litres is just one helmet. Go to a shop with your gear and try to fit them in. I have a 40 litre Shad and I can do one helmet and one jacket and it’s a very tight fit. I mostly just throw the helmet in there and rock the jacket, much easier.

55 litres will take two jackets or two helmets. Or maybe you are a magician or a contortionist

Actually there’s a Himalayan with the 55 litre hepco box in my apartment. I can send you a picture. It looks quite okay and as long as you fit it right, and don’t go enduro riding with the box it will be just fine from my experience. And no it is not going to affect the Moto gp dynamics of the Himalayan any one bit /S

Look up the hepco 55/60 litre box. It’s sub 20k and pretty good value.

Last edited by Red Liner : 28th April 2020 at 21:51.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 22:28   #1183
BANNED

Quote:
I doubt even a 50L could store a helmet and 2 armored jackets without putting up a fight and you having to choke-slam it to close.

I used to sport a 50L top box on my P220 and while going to work it would hold my Helmet, Jacket and Gloves, nothing more, even the Jacket had to be adjusted to sit snug due to the outdated(doesn't flex) armor that came on the Gen 1 Rynox Stealth.

A 30L is simply too small, wont store more than a helmet and a pair of gloves at best.

Quote:
If you are adamant about hauling luggage conveniently then there simply is no other go unless you're fine with side panniers, which I'm presuming would be a direct fit as one of the Himalayan editions do come with panniers and racks in factory form, or you could get a pair of Dirtsack Llamas for about 18.5k If I'm not wrong, they last a lifetime.

P.S. A fellow enthusiast from TVM had ridden to Leh and Back on his Himalayan with a pair of Dirsack Llama's installed and his wife as pillion.

Back when I was working at Kochi I used to haul 86L of luggage on the weekends to Kollam and back;

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20161228_103927232_hdr.jpg

Other than the convenience of mounting and dismounting storage these boxes are a PITA, shifts weight bias to the rear and makes the front end more prone to tank-slappers.

Do put some thought into it before putting down the moolah.

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 28th April 2020 at 22:33.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 22:28   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
Look up the hepco 55/60 litre box. It’s sub 20k and pretty good value.
I saw these on Bikenbiker:

https://www.bikenbiker.com/products/...l-hepco-becker
https://www.bikenbiker.com/collectio...nt=22814124678

Money isn't a friend right now but I'll be sure to check them out regardless. My concern is that the base plate and backrest are additional accessories that can add to the overall cost.

Quote:
And no it is not going to affect the Moto gp dynamics of the Himalayan any one bit /S
Almost gave me a scare there Bought the RE to take it to the tracks you see (with a top box). I don't want my really high cruising speed of 100 to be reduced further. Nor do I want it falling off on the road for others to see my belongings spread on the road!
Old 29th April 2020, 01:20   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramesh3210 View Post
Since you are based out of Bangalore, I would really suggest you to visit bike'n'biker and check for yourself. Not sure whether you have done that already. These guys have lots of options. Just google for the address.
Thanks. This would be Plan A once lockdown ends. Haven't gone there until now. It's far for me.
The little that I've purchased so far (Gloves, Helmet, Jacket, Saddle bags, Tank bag) has all been from MotoArmour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
If you are adamant about hauling luggage conveniently then there simply is no other go unless you're fine with side panniers...
I already have saddle bags (64l) + a tank bag (24l). I find these to be more than adequate. What I need is a place to safely store mainly the jackets and say some other smaller items while the bike is temporarily out of sight. Safe to say, it would be more or less empty most of the time. I may experiment keeping my laptop bag inside when commuting to office though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Other than the convenience of mounting and dismounting storage these boxes are a PITA, shifts weight bias to the rear and makes the front end more prone to tank-slappers.
This sounds scary but since you have extensively used it yourself, I believe there might be a small learning curve to get used to it, post which, it should be safe.

Most Viewed