Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2020, 11:34   #1231
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Query: will there be a Himalayan 650? If yes, any idea when?
Bigger Himalayan, yes. 650 Himalayan, no.
neil.jericho is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 14:14   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Bigger Himalayan, yes. 650 Himalayan, no.
Okay, thanks for that. But what higher capacity are we referring to, here?
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 16:06   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
But the pleasure of riding through bad roads, broken tarmac and small potholes without having to reduce speed excessively was awesome. The suspension is truly remarkable. Very comfortable, supple and predictable
I too had a decent ride albeit, a simple and relaxed 120kms ride in and around Bangalore with mild off roading.
Don't have any videos of that section but here's some anyway.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20200824_112528_033.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20200822_095500.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20200822_095541.jpg

It really is an easy to ride and capable all round machine.
Where it lacks on tarmac, it more than makes up on dirt.

Last edited by shyamg28 : 24th August 2020 at 16:08.
shyamg28 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 16:35   #1234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Okay, thanks for that. But what higher capacity are we referring to, here?
That is the million dollar question. No little birdies are chirping with further details of the bigger Himalayan, so it is wait and watch for now.
neil.jericho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 16:51   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
That is the million dollar question.....
Bigger OR Better ?

This has to be The Question. 400cc is big enough but it has to be better performing. RE is literally on the 'no replacement for displacement' philosophy conveniently ignoring the poor performance
Rennjit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 10:04   #1236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Bigger OR Better ?

This has to be The Question. 400cc is big enough but it has to be better performing. RE is literally on the 'no replacement for displacement' philosophy conveniently ignoring the poor performance
I suppose there are broadly two schools of (engineering) thought here. One, you can take a regular capacity engine, squeeze every last bit of performance out of it, have parts that are pushed to the edge and might give up any time (cough cough KTM cough cough) or you could go big displacement, low but usable performance and keep it simple (the old Royal Enfield way). Now this formula has worked exceptionally well for RE with the 650 twins and to a lesser extent, with the Himalayan.

I agree with you, the most common feedback from around the world that I have seen on the Himalayan, is that this bike needs better performance without the price spiking up too much. Now with the Bs6 version, RE seems to have slowly and steadily perfected the Himalayan 410 and a bigger engined version putting out 40 bhp sounds just about right to me. I am sure Royal Enfield is listening.
neil.jericho is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 10:14   #1237
Team-BHP Support

I rode back from Nepal on my Himalayan with my friend who was on his 650.
As long as we were in the hills and bad roads, I was able to stay in his rear view mirror.

Once the highways became better, it was no contest at all.

The Himalayan is a nice bike but its not exactly fast and nimble on the straights.

A couple more horses will be nice but I am not sure if the chassis can manage it.

Last edited by bblost : 25th August 2020 at 10:16.
bblost is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 10:50   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Once the highways became better, it was no contest at all.

The Himalayan is a nice bike but its not exactly fast and nimble on the straights.
I own a 2019, Interceptor 650. I have the AEW Exhaust + BMC filter combo. It rides fantastic and the performance is something that I enjoy every single time I ride.
Fast forward 2020, I realize, the interceptor is not such a good tourer and especially when you want to do Leh kind of rides. I have now booked a BS6 Himalayan in Rock Red. Like all other folks, I am waiting for the bike as well.

As part of the buying experience, I did some long test rides and for me, apart from the comfortable riding stance and off road ability, the performance is strictly average on road. It’s very commuter segment-ish. The handling too is not as dynamic as compared to my 650. Well, this is the best RE could get this bike to perform.

I definitely think that this chassis cannot handle a bigger and more powerful engine.

Having said that, RE has tasted success and I am quite confident we’ll see a bigger and much improved Himalayan in the future.

For now, I’ll be happy to own a BS6 Himalayan.

Cheers
hellraizer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 12:21   #1239
BHPian

Would a Powertronic EFI and/or a big bore kit like the Hitchcock 462 CC and/or a less limiting (or better tuned) exhaust help?

What's been the experience with these? I remember ItchyBoots fitted a powertronic in the Middle East but wasn't sure if the experiment was completely satisfactory.
Skidrow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 00:56   #1240
BHPian

Got some riding done for the weekend. Lovely place this: Mandargiri Jain Temple

Attaching some pics:

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img20200830wa0000.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20200829_185516.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20200829_175425.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20200829_172355_1.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20200829_175420.jpg

Had quite some difficulty riding at night.
Recent visit to BikenBiker had me almost convinced that I need to invest 20-30k on Baja lights. So that's not happening anytime soon lol.
Any alternate suggestions that maybe cheaper, work almost as well and are (still) easily available?

Also, does anyone here use a non OE cruise control (e.g., Go Cruise)? Wondering if it is indeed beneficial, at the same time, also safe to use.

Last edited by shyamg28 : 30th August 2020 at 00:57.
shyamg28 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 15:45   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidrow View Post
Would a Powertronic EFI and/or a big bore kit like the Hitchcock 462 CC and/or a less limiting (or better tuned) exhaust help?

What's been the experience with these? I remember ItchyBoots fitted a powertronic in the Middle East but wasn't sure if the experiment was completely satisfactory.
She mentioned removing it because of a scary experience with her drone. The drone's controller had radio interference with the EFI.
Old 30th August 2020, 23:17   #1242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Had quite some difficulty riding at night.
Recent visit to BikenBiker had me almost convinced that I need to invest 20-30k on Baja lights. So that's not happening anytime soon lol.
Any alternate suggestions that maybe cheaper, work almost as well and are (still) easily available?
Nice pictures. On the lights, avoid the cheap unbranded stuff for which the shopkeepers will make sky high claims and go for branded products which have 1 - 2 years warranty such as A2Z lights (personally used) or Mad Dog lights which are very popular on and off this forum. See if you want a pair of aux lights or if you want to replace the whole headlight unit. You will find reviews for products by both these companies and others across the motorcycling section of Team BHP.
neil.jericho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 20:43   #1243
Team-BHP Support

I have an issue with my bike.

Bike switches on without any issue. After a couple of minutes of riding the low batter indicator comes on the tacho stops working. If I rev the bike the tacho starts working and the batter light goes off. After a few minutes this will repeat.

The first time it happened, I came home and hooked up the multimeter. The battery with engine off had a 13.2V voltage.

The next time I took my bike out, I kept the multimeter with me. Sure enough the light came on and tacho went off.
I checked immediately. The battery had over 13.2 Volts in it.

Today I took my bike out. The same issue keeps happening.

The battery is fine. But the tacho off and battery low light makes it very confusing.

Typically this happens when I am riding at a fixed pace. Like I am doing a steady 50 kmph. The tacho will go down to 0 and the battery light gets on.

I rev up. The issue is fixed for the next few mins.

Please help.
Old 6th September 2020, 15:19   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Typically this happens when I am riding at a fixed pace. Like I am doing a steady 50 kmph. The tacho will go down to 0 and the battery light gets on.

I rev up. The issue is fixed for the next few mins.

Please help.
From what I can infer, it can either be the stator coil, i.e. the magneto coil which charges the battery. If the magneto doesn't charge the battery, the battery icon will throw up on the dash indicating an error, that's one.

Now, the same will happen, if your battery isn't holding charge or one of the cells inside has shorted even though it reads the right voltage, happened to me.

What I would suggest is this, connect the multimeter to the terminals which DC range on the MM, rev the engine till 4k and observe the reading at the multimeter, it should stand still at around 14.7V-ish range. If you see the readings fluctuate more than 16V and irrational voltage reading, you can pretty much be sure your stator coil is bust.

Last but not the least, the rudimental stuff of all, please make sure your battery terminals are torqued to spec on the battery posts. A loose battery terminal can indeed cause more trouble than a dead or a decaying one.

Keep us posted.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 18:27   #1245
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a lot, Vijay.

I checked the battery clamps. They are tight.
The battery showed 12.97 volts before switching on the bike.
The bike switched on and the battery light stayed on. I did not have the time to take the bike for a ride.

This issue has been there for over 200 kms and fifteen days. The battery charge level has no issues at all.

I will do the other tests as well and keep you updated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks