Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2020, 18:36   #1246
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I have an issue with my bike.

Bike switches on without any issue. After a couple of minutes of riding the low batter indicator comes on the tacho stops working. If I rev the bike the tacho starts working and the batter light goes off. After a few minutes this will repeat.

The first time it happened, I came home and hooked up the multimeter. The battery with engine off had a 13.2V voltage.

The next time I took my bike out, I kept the multimeter with me. Sure enough the light came on and tacho went off.
I checked immediately. The battery had over 13.2 Volts in it.

Today I took my bike out. The same issue keeps happening.

The battery is fine. But the tacho off and battery low light makes it very confusing.

Typically this happens when I am riding at a fixed pace. Like I am doing a steady 50 kmph. The tacho will go down to 0 and the battery light gets on.

I rev up. The issue is fixed for the next few mins.

Please help.
This could be a bad ground terminal, a faulty fuse, or simply, loose battery cables terminals, as VJ suggested.

Find and inspect all the connections to the battery and the frame and engine ground. Check each of them for loose connections, corrosion where bare metal is exposed, and broken or loose wire crimps. If there is corrosion, use some emery paper to clean the metal contact area. If there terminals or crimping is loose, try to tighten them with pliers.

Sometimes, fuses can have loose contacts. This is difficult to identify. Replacing the fuses is easier and cheaper. Be sure to use good quality replacement fuses.

I hope this helps and your problem is fixed rapidly.
Motard_Blr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 22:46   #1247
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I have an issue with my bike....

Please help.
You'd find all that you'd need here:

(Understanding & troubleshooting Motorcycle Charging Systems)Understanding & troubleshooting Motorcycle Charging Systems

Do make sure to distinguish between surface charge and actual charge, best means is to load with the Starter Motor, detailed instructions are there in the above mentioned thread.

With the help of a multimeter ensure the basics(Alternator, RR Unit and Battery) are working as intended, refer to service manual or ask fellow Himalayan owners to share resistance and output values.

Once you've made sure that the components are working fine you can rest assured and do continuity test from junction to junction and lead to chassis to find out if there is leak in current or improper ground.

Ride Safe,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 6th September 2020 at 22:49.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 18:10   #1248
BHPian

Hello RE Himalayan Community,

This is my first post in this section, perhaps a couple of posts I have on the RE Section.

I recently got my 3rd RE a BSVI RE Himalayan Rock Red after a TBTS500 and TB350 AVL prior.

Its done a mearge 500 kms in the last 2 months and my wifey wanted to learn riding it. So we had a day session in an desolate road nearby. She is 5-3 and is an adept 4 wheeler driver and could easily get the grasp of the control and ride on. She carried me pillion too in her very first day of riding the motorcycle. She rides bicycles otherwise. But taking a U turn was a different story as you can see in the picture.

Long things short, it took a couple of falls and seems the stock handle bar is very fragile. and is kind of bend. Please give inputs for a replacement handlebar, i don't want to change the cables or the knuckle guard or the bar end weights but would prefer a slightly taller one.

Is the TBX Stock Handle Bar a fit?
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-whatsapp-image-20200912-2.39.43-pm.jpeg  

Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 20:45   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
Long things short, it took a couple of falls and seems the stock handle bar is very fragile. and is kind of bend. Please give inputs for a replacement handlebar, i don't want to change the cables or the knuckle guard or the bar end weights but would prefer a slightly taller one.
The handlebar is indeed very fragile, my bike has fallen off twice from the stand and both times I have had to get the handlebar replaced. I have heard of people replacing the handlebar with thunderbird handlebar, but the height increase might cause some problems.

I guess the problem is that the handlebar stands high and the general centre of gravity also lies higher than other bikes so the torque applied when it falls is a lot more compared to other bikes and that causes the handlebar to bend easily. (I might be wrong though) But the stock comes cheap at 540 with some 200 in labour, so I often find it easier to just get it replaced.
lancia_fanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 21:51   #1250
BHPian

Quote:

Slightly different approach would be crash guard with spools that stick out from the body. This way when the bike falls, the handlebar doesn't take impact and get bent.

I think Zana and HDT customs are the best known ones for Himalayan if you're interested.
Old 15th September 2020, 17:21   #1251
BHPian

Quote:
Hello RE Himalayan Community,

This is my first post in this section, perhaps a couple of posts I have on the RE Section.

I recently got my 3rd RE a BSVI RE Himalayan Rock Red after a TBTS500 and TB350 AVL prior.

Its done a mearge 500 kms in the last 2 months and my wifey wanted to learn riding it. So we had a day session in an desolate road nearby. She is 5-3 and is an adept 4 wheeler driver and could easily get the grasp of the control and ride on. She carried me pillion too in her very first day of riding the motorcycle. She rides bicycles otherwise. But taking a U turn was a different story as you can see in the picture.

You could consider the braced handlebar offered by RE as an official accessory. I have that on my Himalayan and it does seem sturdier. It's also lighter and makes the bike feel more agile. And it looks great!
Old 15th September 2020, 18:11   #1252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
You could consider the braced handlebar offered by RE as an official accessory. I have that on my Himalayan and it does seem sturdier. It's also lighter and makes the bike feel more agile. And it looks great!
I did think of that but found its aluminium with no provision for the stock bar end weights and knuckle guards. Have to get its own snap on bar ends weights. Don’t think its value for money to change everything. Also it doesn’t support the knuckle guards and i need to source a compatible one.

The front end is already too light without the headlamps mounted on it in comparison to what I had been used to all these years.
Old 15th September 2020, 18:52   #1253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

and my wifey wanted to learn riding it. So we had a day session in an desolate road nearby. She is 5-3 and is an adept 4 wheeler driver and could easily get the grasp of the control and ride on. She carried me pillion too in her very first day of riding the motorcycle. She rides bicycles otherwise. But taking a U turn was a different story as you can see in the picture.
Pls. don't take it in the wrong spirit but I would strongly suggest a bike which your wife is also comfortable riding. If necessary two bikes in the family.
Replacing bones rather than handlebars would worry me more. You being a doctor would appreciate that.

Sutripta
Old 16th September 2020, 04:40   #1254
BANNED

Quote:
the stock handle bar is very fragile.
This is by design.

If you use a rigid handlebar and drop the motorcycle it won't bend but what needs to be understood is that the impact would be transferred elsewhere, namely your Triple T and Chassis.

Not going into the gory details but take my word for it, you DO NOT want that happening and this is not even considering that the Himalayan has a reputation for having a weak neck.

Personally, if at all I change bars I make it certain that I find an OE alternative even if it's from another motorcycle as most non OE bars simply do not have weak points.

Ride Safe,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 11:49   #1255
Team-BHP Support

Update on my Bike:

The tacho and battery light remain erratic.
The battery terminals are clean and tight. I removed and refit them.
All fuses are good.

The battery after 12 days of inaction was still showing 12.7.
Started bike it jumped and remained at 13.4 or so.
Rev takes it to 14+

The issue is certainly with the console. I plan to investigate every wire that comes into it. Maybe the lack of use and open parking has something to do with it.

While my bike is safe from humans due to CCTV camera's, strays cats dont really care and sometimes like to sit on the bike.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 16:18   #1256
BHPian

Quote:
I did think of that but found its aluminium with no provision for the stock bar end weights and knuckle guards. Have to get its own snap on bar ends weights. Don’t think its value for money to change everything. Also it doesn’t support the knuckle guards and i need to source a compatible one.

The front end is already too light without the headlamps mounted on it in comparison to what I had been used to all these years.
Ah fair enough. I'm using aftermarket knuckle guards. The fact that the RE guards don't fit their own bar did seem odd to me. With the bar end weights the total is over 3k which is definitely high. I personally love the lighter bar as it makes the bike feel more open to being flicked around.
Old 16th September 2020, 17:27   #1257
Distinguished - BHPian

Look what turned up in our drive in the Netherlands today!

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_6925.jpg

Old neighbours from where we used to live were near. In fact they had to pick up his, Ron, RE from the dealer after a regular service.

The main (and oldest) RE dealer in the Netherlands is situated a bit south from us. http://www.vandoornmotoren.nl

So on the way home they stopped at our place for coffee and a chat. Ron on his RE and his wife Maud driving the car.

Ron has had this RE for about 18 months and has covered some 11.000km. He is very happy with it. He is one of the most experienced bikers I know. Some years ago he was working with the Ambulance service in the region of The Hague, the Netherlands. Ron was instrumental in setting up a squad of fast response bikes. Any major accidents in busy areas, they would dispatch a bike with a trained emergency responder as they would be able to get to the scene of the accident before the ambulance. They were trained as paramedics and their bikes were equipped with all kinds of medical equipment to do triage and first aid response.

Ron was part of the team doing these first response calls too. He has been a biker his whole life and as part of his job got very extensive bike training as well (similar to police advanced driving courses). In those day they drove mainly BMWs.

He is very happy with his RE. Uses it only for touring. Has not had a single problem with it yet! is this the new RE quality norm?

Jeroen

PS: At the entrance to my garage you can see my little Royal Enfield sign. All that I have I have left of driving a RE bullet are the sign and the memories. Good ones too.
Jeroen is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 15:15   #1258
BHPian

I ended up changing into the Thunderbird X Handlebar and during the process the touring mirrors caught my eye. Quite expensive at 4000 a pair but took a plunge and holy mirror it no longer vibrates. And adjustment in 2 levels. The best rear view on a mirror on a RE i got on my way back. The handle bar took approximately 1000 including labour. A tad taller and more comfortable for me.
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-515198d1e60f46a9b1cf6bead27a1ce7.jpeg  

Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 11:14   #1259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I ended up changing into the Thunderbird X Handlebar and during the process the touring mirrors caught my eye. Quite expensive at 4000 a pair but took a plunge and holy mirror it no longer vibrates. And adjustment in 2 levels. The best rear view on a mirror on a RE i got on my way back. The handle bar took approximately 1000 including labour. A tad taller and more comfortable for me.
I have seen those mirrors and felt they are super good in terms of function and build quality. But 4k is something that is very expensive. I wont be comfortable parking my bike unattended for the fear of someone flicking it or some roadside romeos trying to use the mirror to comb their hair. I recently installed mirrors form the Avenger, pretty decent and way cheaper.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:36   #1260
BHPian

It's almost 50 days up since I and my friend have booked the Himalayan. No news of delivery so from either the dealer or the OEM. Both of us called the RE support numbers and the response was rather not encouraging. The dealer tells me that the production has completely come to a halt; the customer support has been instructed not to give any commitment regarding the deliveries.

All of us do understand that this pandemic has indeed wrecked havoc across the industry and RE is not immune to it. However, I expect a far more transparent communication coming out of the OEM clearly stating what is being done. One can see several videos of Himalayan deliveries in the recent past and some of them have booked it 5-6 months back.

Can anyone throw some light on the production delays and if anything is being done to address them?

Thanks
hellraizer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks