Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2016, 11:12   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

I was wondering the same.

Can the norms be met only by a FI system or can a carb be used with other parts added like a bigger cat con, or a higher RON fuel?
Old 30th March 2016, 11:17   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
How did they pull it off??
It was not only for Himalayan. There was ban of sale for Suzuki Access, Bajaj V also. I remember reading somewhere that a court case was also lodged against the ban.
THIS report says that two-wheelers launched before April 1, 2016 need to comply with BS-4 regulations only by April 1, 2017. However, two-wheelers launched post April 1, 2016 will have to comply with BS-4 emission regulations right from the date of launch. Based on this I think Himalayan and other have got clearance to sell their bikes I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I was wondering the same.

Can the norms be met only by a FI system or can a carb be used with other parts added like a bigger cat con, or a higher RON fuel?
No. There has not been any change to the engine. The ban itself is lifted.

MORE INFO

Last edited by sathya.bhat : 30th March 2016 at 11:20. Reason: Added more information
sathya.bhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 12:42   #93
Team-BHP Support

Royal Enfield has announced that it is starting sales of the Himalayan in New Delhi. The price of the bike has been pegged at Rs. 1,73,676 (on-road).

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Old 30th March 2016, 13:48   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
don't thrash me. I can take genuine flak admirably but will defend my turf as well if needed. I am an experienced mile muncher without the travelogues to prove it, just the pictures and memories. Writing this article was a Herculean task for me as I am a one finger typist and hate it. These are purely my personal views and dont intend to take things personal with anyone..!
I have felt and said something very similar about the H, maybe not as nicely penned as you have.

Whenever someone rationally tries to say that a new engine designed from scratch, with available tech in 2015, displacing 410odd cc is just not justified producing 24.5bhp at crank and 32nm of torque, many jump trying to justify that its enough. Not sure if they really tour a lot, cos if they did, am sure they would have realized the under powered nature. REs are also know to have higher transmission losses which adds to the woes, yes even the UCEs. In one of the videos, the explanation given for controlled bhp is the fuel efficiency and frame. But the frame feels like it can handle much more.
with my 2010 C5, i spent a lot of time, effort and money trying to improve its performance converting it to 535cc with forged pistons, head polishing, carb system with 32mm flat slide, intake, exhaust, etc. Almost spent close to the cost of the bike in all these spares, mods, etc.
I am not sure if i will that kind of time at hand to go the similar route with the H, as work pressure is increased a lot. As stock, the H definitely feels under powered.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 15:17   #95
BHPian

Just back fresh from the test ride of the Himalayan.

What a great looking bike, can drool at it, except for the headlight cluster.
It is a upright seating and in front, would have loved if it curved a little more to the back.
Inside city handling was good but I doubt the same for shorter people, but need to test on longer ride on the highway and hills.
Did not feel any torque unlike the 500cc.
Engine feels disconnected from the bike and do not get the usual RE heavy, sturdy, raw vibe.
On acceleration the bike takes its own time to gain speed.
I am told the bike gives great mileage and that is one of the top priority during design and nothing more you can expect.
The tires look and feels good.
Would have been good if the tank was bigger.
Exhaust does not gel with the look of the bike, needs a better on.
The side stand could take a lot of weight and the front foot pegs are made to last even if you stand on it.

Himalayan may need better power, grunt, tank and some engine involvement.
Visaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 16:18   #96
BHPian

One of my friends told me that Besant Nagar Sales outlet has confirmed that he will get his bike delivered after registration by Wednesday or Thursday next week. Now I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that I should get in during the next couple of weeks
Old 3rd April 2016, 01:12   #97
BHPian

The Royal Enfield Himalayan Test-Ride Thread

There seems to be some serious issues regarding loyalties of certain people or posts with the way they are taking on the company or the product ( based on their personal "experiences" I suppose). Certain comments started flowing way before the vehicle was even launched and continue to do so in the same manner!!!! I'm not sure how it is healthy or useful to a consumer like me who is genuinely interested in the product . I mean criticism of the product is good from someone who has used it a good deal. I don't get the necessity of the prejudice against the company here....

Last edited by rnair : 3rd April 2016 at 01:14.
rnair is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 07:44   #98
BHPian

Am not surprised with the flow on conversation here, just like the other REs, people either love'em or don't. I am from the former camp, took two different and extensive test rides before I placed my bet on it. This would be my second RE besides a street 750 in the stable

Adventure touring as a segment is new and niche to India and for the same reason I am not expecting big sales numbers for this motorcycle, not in the initial phase at least. I see this product as a serious attempt to expand the segment

Also, as the motorcycle is "purpose" built and the purpose could be limited to a few days in the year, this bike may do well in the rental space

I can't wait to get my hands on it!
Rajiv0909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:42   #99
BHPian

Did my second test drive and this time I had gone with the knowledge gained reading through this thread completely. This helped me assess the machine better and have finally made my booking too.

In my first post, I had mentioned about the hard clutch and the pathetic gear shifts. However reading through the other posts I could hear different version on this and so was my experience this time. The bike had run 500+kms now and in the bike I drove this time, the clutch and gear shifts were much better. Especially the gear shifts; I could find neutral pretty easily as compared to last time when I had to try many times before I could slot it to neutral.

I took the TD with my Kid and wife as pillion riders and I can confidently say that the bike didnt feel stressed in city conditions and was delivering enough torque to potter around. However, highway story is still to be assessed and leaves much room for doubts.

Now, why did I book?
  • Most refined engine from the RE stable (there is room of more refinement though). No vibrations to complain of. (I hate vibrations)
  • Solid build. Plain rugged looks, suits my attitude. Looks ton times better in real than in the pics.
  • Excellent handling and suspension.
  • I can live without an ABS.
  • Affordable and serves all purpose. I am a newbie to long touring in bikes / motorcycle adventures. For my adventurous heart this was more due to the lack of a proper bike as the other options available were not within my affordable limits. The Himalayan has changed this for me and for many more like me. Cos, for an average Indian like me who cannot afford to have a separate bike for touring / adventure, the Himalayan will serve the purpose well. It can take me to office and to the mountains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnair View Post
There seems to be some serious issues regarding loyalties of certain people or posts with the way they are taking on the company or the product ( based on their personal "experiences" I suppose).
I certainly agree with you on this. But as you've said yourself its based on each ones experience. With the different view points being discussed here, there's a lot of INFORMATION (useful data) flowing through as well. Take them, validate with your own experience and judgement and make your decision. Only you know what you need.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 4th April 2016 at 11:31. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
Jude300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 16:02   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
I certainly agree with you on this. But as you've said yourself its based on each ones experience. With the different view points being discussed here, there's a lot of INFORMATION (useful data) flowing through as well. Take them, validate with your own experience and judgement and make your decision. Only you know what you need.
Eagerly awaiting your own thread on the ownership of Himalayan. Please do so as soon as you get the delivery.

Congratulations on the booking and welcome to the RE family !!
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 16:37   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Eagerly awaiting your own thread on the ownership of Himalayan. Please do so as soon as you get the delivery.

Congratulations on the booking and welcome to the RE family !!
Yes, I ll definitely post my review on team-bhp. Team-BHP has always been my source for automotive reviews and information and I believe in contributing to the forum as much as I take from it.

And, thanks for the warm welcome to the RE family.
Jude300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 19:24   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnair View Post
There seems to be some serious issues...
I don't get the necessity of the prejudice against the company here....
Dear RNair-
I am a good RE loyalist that I maintain my RE500- the Classic, and have had wonderful experiences with the Ride Teams of RE- including their Himalayan Odyssey just a couple of years ago. I have tried the Himalayan and have booked the same as well.
The grief that people have with the company is what makes the RE experience wholesome - or 'rounded' so to speak. Dismal conditions in workshops, dreadfully poor quality of spares, the dread of parts being stolen in your last free service... All the riders here, who own the RE have come to acknowledge these and work with them.

Cases of blown pistons and seized engines in brand new bikes- just continue unabated. Car fuel pumps dont blow because the company pays their parts vendors properly. Once you meet and greet the dealers, service crew and then the vendors, you will find a deep rooted malaise that the company shows absolutely no interest in fixing- 'We are RE, screw you, screw everybody' seems to be the approach.
This is not a diatribe on what is wrong with them- but these are the same things that people fear will come around with the Himalayan and just about every new product they launch.
As of now, I have posted many remarks on the bike- and what annoyed me the most was their engineering shortfall at not being able to design the resonance 'band' high up, so that it does not interfere with the riding experience.I can live with all other faults... and just because its an RE- its excused.
The poor quality in finish in the 'weld tears' shoddy nuts and the likes is just exactly what other forum members have complained about.
The criticism you see here is stems from this.
If you want a RE, then get used to it. All this, is a part of the ownership experience.
IF you so doubt this- please come and spend a day at any service center.

None of this means I love my 500 any less.

Last edited by Hammer & Anvil : 3rd April 2016 at 19:28. Reason: grammar- spellings.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 19:46   #103
BHPian

I had been eagerly waiting for the Himalayan ever since I heard about and saw it first here itself on team-bhp. I went ahead and booked the Himalayan on 16th March (Launch Day) without even taking a test ride or knowing the on-road price as the dealership did not have the price break-up when I booked it as it had been enabled on the company's system just moments earlier and even the launch was still underway. Talk about taking blind bets.

As it later turned out that I am possibly one of the first customers to book the bike and will be the first customer in Bombay to be given delivery tomorrow morning i.e Monday, 4th April 2016 at 10:30 am.

I hope to get some good miles on the H and plan to post a initial ownership review soon after although I am not sure if I will not be lazy enough to write a complete review.
eltoro is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 08:59   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoro View Post
I had been eagerly waiting for the Himalayan ever since I heard about and saw it first here itself on team-bhp. I went ahead and booked the Himalayan on 16th March (Launch Day) without even taking a test ride or knowing the on-road price as the dealership did not have the price break-up when I booked it as it had been enabled on the company's system just moments earlier and even the launch was still underway. Talk about taking blind bets.

As it later turned out that I am possibly one of the first customers to book the bike and will be the first customer in Bombay to be given delivery tomorrow morning i.e Monday, 4th April 2016 at 10:30 am.

I hope to get some good miles on the H and plan to post a initial ownership review soon after although I am not sure if I will not be lazy enough to write a complete review.
Hi,

Congrats!

What is the on road price? More importantly, did you get to buy the official accessories? Are they available? I mean the panniers and all that they showed during the launch event. Also, are the Himalayan branded gears available? I found the Darcha jackets being sold at a RE store in Mumbai.

Which color are you going for? Please post pictures and impressions soon.

Neel
Old 4th April 2016, 09:25   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hi,

Congrats!

What is the on road price? More importantly, did you get to buy the official accessories? Are they available? I mean the panniers and all that they showed during the launch event. Also, are the Himalayan branded gears available? I found the Darcha jackets being sold at a RE store in Mumbai.

Which color are you going for? Please post pictures and impressions soon.

Neel
Thanks Neel. The on-road cost in Bombay is Rs. 1,79,533 although it was quoted as 1,78,000 odd at the launch event. The accessories have not yet come to the showroom with the exception of the Darcha jackets. The showroom folks have been saying that the panniers and other accessories like the engine guard, etc. will be available after 15-20 days, however they are still not available for display also.
eltoro is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed