Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2016, 16:58   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Have taken delivery of my Himalayan and have managed to put in only 50 kms at the odo. So far so good, gears are working absolutely fine.
Torque delivery is completely different from that of my old Thunderbird. Need to work the gear box more but the engine is a lot smoother than my TB. Handling is very good.
Will put in my thoughts once the break-in has been completed and my bikes log in a few more kms.
Hi there,
kindly post an ownership review, a lot of people are looking forward to the same.

For the time being, a small question from my side.
How is the engine clatter?
I have found mixed answers for the same. Some say that the clatter is less than other REs. What is your take on it?
Old 4th May 2016, 17:07   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
a lot of people are looking forward to the same.

How is the engine clatter?
Hi Abhi,
Will surely give it the best shot.

Regarding the engine clatter, I do not find much of difference. The clatter is very much there and for a big SINGLE cylinder it is expected.
Only post break-in need to check if the sound actually subsides/increases/stays constant.

Compared to the TB500, my TB had the same engine clatter on day 1 till i sold the bike. So hoping that it would be the same.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 17:20   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your kind words mate, I picked up the white color.
Awesome choice of color mate, the white looks smashing on the Himalayan.
Quote:
Was surprised to read people commenting on gears and they being hard. With right RPM am experiencing no issues with the shifter. Downshifting needs a small blip of throttle to keep it smooth.
From what I observed and also heard from the sales staff at RE, the test ride motorcycles are literally abused by test riders. It is nice to thoroughly test a motorcycle but abusing it will do no good. I found the gear shifting better as I believe the test ride motorcycle I rode had undergone a service after nearly 200+ test rides. I saw a bunch of guys wringing the throttle like a race bike during the test ride and this was while the bike was stationary. I didn't understand what they wanted to achieve. I know I am saying this second time but I want a comparison report between the Himalayan and the Tbird500 from you mate.
navin_v8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 23:25   #199
BANNED

Did the 1st servicing today after running it for 560kms. Following are my observations after riding the bike for about 25kms post 1st servicing.

1. The thump and tuning of engine is consistent and smooth now, expect the misfire like sound from silencer during de - acceleration in low gears. I was told by their head mechanic that it will stay their. As per him the exhaust hole in the silencer small and unable to take out hot air generated completely. Now am clueless about this. I guess he too is clueless about the problem but he had to answer as I asked. I thought of giving him some time to figure out things as this is a totally new bike and he also need some time to understand things. Have asked him to rethink and get back on me after few days.

2. The gears are far more smooth now. Don't have to give extra efforts for shifting, except finding the neutral between 1st and 2nd. Most of the time I have to play hide and seek with neutral and nail it down.

3. Clutch and breaking has improved.

4. The new instrument cluster is new to service guys at RE too. They couldn't find the combination for reseting the service warning spanner to off after several attempts. So they asked me to wait till tomorrow, they said that they will consult with techies and get back to me. But impatient me tried my hands on that blinking spanner and did managed to turn it off but I changed the odometer settings from KM to MILES. Now am clueless of how to set it back to KM.

5. The engine still emitting some heat but less then before. I did feel that extra 2 degrees on my right feets and ankles while crossing through dense traffics at low gears.

But let me tell you after 1st servicing am not extra happy with the bike. The issues I have mentioned above are too small and shall get nailed by RE guys soon.

The bottom line is ... this is a great machine and am loving it day by day. I bought this bike for occasional pleasure rides but now it's a regular transporter and I don't feel like taking out my 4 wheeler unless it's really needed.

Quote:
Have taken delivery of my Himalayan and have managed to put in only 50 kms at the odo. So far so good, gears are working absolutely fine.
Torque delivery is completely different from that of my old Thunderbird. Need to work the gear box more but the engine is a lot smoother than my TB. Handling is very good.
Will put in my thoughts once the break-in has been completed and my bikes log in a few more kms.
Congrats. The white one looks great. Do your dealer have accessories for this bike. I mean leg guards or saddles etc.?
shaktinanda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 01:57   #200
BHPian

Took delivery of my Himalayan today. Was a little unhappy to see some paint chipped at the rear left of the fuel tank but the dealership has taken note and will fix it at the first service. The gear shift is somewhat hard but so far it was done only 30KM on the odo. Official accessories are still not in stores, so if anyone has some heads up on some after market front crash guards, do let me know!
Old 5th May 2016, 07:46   #201
J.Ravi

Quote:
I picked up the white color.
Congratulations and best wishes, ku69rd. I wish you and your Himalayan infinite miles with smiles. Please take it to the Himalayas after break-in.
  (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 08:48   #202
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazkowicz View Post
Took delivery of my Himalayan today. Was a little unhappy to see some paint chipped at the rear left of the fuel tank but the dealership has taken note and will fix it at the first service. The gear shift is somewhat hard but so far it was done only 30KM on the odo. Official accessories are still not in stores, so if anyone has some heads up on some after market front crash guards
Many many congrats. I too have some paint chipped off in the rear bottom left side of my fuel tank. RE guys have promised to do it by 2nd service. I am also desparately looking for accessories (specially leg guards). I designed my own bags for storing my different gears instead of waiting for RE products which are not looking good or practical for me either. Hopefully my bags will be ready by tomorrow. Congratulations again
Old 5th May 2016, 10:11   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktinanda View Post
Did the 1st servicing today after running it for 560kms.
Quote:
Took delivery of my Himalayan today.
Congratulations on the acquisitions guys! Could either of you please start a separate Ownership thread? I've been waiting for my bike to come for a while now, and reading these comments is the only way that gives me (and quite a few others) the pleasure of knowing what it's like to own this beauty.

Also, is there anyone who picked up the bike in the new lot? Have they cleaned up the weld marks?
Old 5th May 2016, 11:35   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. The thump and tuning of engine is consistent and smooth now, expect the misfire like sound from silencer during de - acceleration in low gears.

Do your dealer have accessories for this bike. I mean leg guards or saddles etc.?
Thank you very much for wishes. Nopes my dealer also does not have the accessories in store. I have not asked him for an update either as am sure they will have a comms plan in place once they receive it.

On the misfiring part, there is nothing one can do apart from fine tuning it. The pop sounds are more of your unburnt fuel that gets burnt in your silencer exhaust which causes it.
Further reading can be had here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Congratulations and best wishes, ku69rd. I wish you and your Himalayan infinite miles with smiles. Please take it to the Himalayas after break-in.
Thank you Ravi Sir, for sure will try and take this to places.
For a starter I would want to do the Kodachadri in the pouring rain to fully check the bike skills and mine as well
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 11:45   #205
BHPian

The Royal Enfield Himalayan Test-Ride Thread

Quote:
Took delivery of my Himalayan today. Was a little unhappy to see some paint chipped at the rear left of the fuel tank but the dealership has taken note and will fix it at the first service. The gear shift is somewhat hard but so far it was done only 30KM on the odo. Official accessories are still not in stores, so if anyone has some heads up on some after market front crash guards, do let me know!

Congrats Blazkowicz! Please do share pics. Did you get the colour of your choice?

Also, if you don't mind sharing the booking and delivery experience?
Old 5th May 2016, 12:08   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
Congrats Blazkowicz! Please do share pics. Did you get the colour of your choice?

Also, if you don't mind sharing the booking and delivery experience?
No, couldn't get the Snow White which I had booked earlier. I needed quick delivery as I will be moving to another city in June and had requested the same while booking. The waiting period for the white colour was longer and I was given an option to change to black at a later stage, which I did. Bike was booked on 7 April 2016 and delivered on 4 May 2016.

Personally though, I don't mind the Graphite Black colour. Just that my previous Enfield was a black one, so I had initially decided to go for the Snow White.

Also, it is my advice that if there are any issues which you may have with booking/servicing/delivery, drop a mail to customerservice@royalenfield.com. I had done the same asking if I could shift the booking to another city in case delivery takes time. They did respond and connected me with the Head of the dealership I had booked the bike at who then did his best to ensure delivery within a month's time.

Only one pic taken so far since my phone's battery had died yesterday in the showroom. Here is the pic -

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-1.jpg

Last edited by Blazkowicz : 5th May 2016 at 12:16.
Blazkowicz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 13:03   #207
BHPian

I saw a snow white Himalayan in Ecospace today. I tried hard to catch up with that guy but failed due to traffic and my 11 years old sluggish Bajaj wave.
I believe these are great inputs from the current owners. I am planning to wait for another 3-4 months for delivery.
Old 5th May 2016, 14:41   #208
BHPian

A word of advice who are planning to play the wait and watch game and maybe buy the Himalayan after a few months; the engine will soon have to be upgraded to BS-IV to make the Himachal eligible for sales in Delhi beginning April 2016. There might be some other upgrades too such as ABS but this is purely a speculation. Nevertheless, expect the price to rise post these changes.
Old 5th May 2016, 18:01   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. The thump and tuning of engine is consistent and smooth now, expect the misfire like sound from silencer during de - acceleration in low gears. I was told by their head mechanic that it will stay their. As per him the exhaust hole in the silencer small and unable to take out hot air generated completely.
If you have installed a free flow muffler then the engine/exhaust WILL fart on deceleration.
http://www.mikuni.com/tg_backfires_in_exhaust.html

"The popping is a result of the air/fuel mixture becoming very lean when the throttle is closed and the engine is rotating well above idle speed"

Last edited by alpha1 : 5th May 2016 at 18:03.
Old 6th May 2016, 00:15   #210
BHPian

Have put in 91km on the odo since yesterday night after taking delivery of the bike. The bike had 21km on the clock at the time of delivery. Here are some of my observations -

1. The gear shift was hard initially but is getting better with more kms. I would however prefer to have the two way gear shift lever as in the Bullet/Classic instead of putting my foot under the lever to shift up. Will consider this mod in the future.

2. The thump is not too audible. I previously had a Sans Glasswool Short Bottle on the C350, so I am used to a loud thump. The Himalayan thump seems too muted. Will look at replacement silencer options from Enfield and other vendors once they are launched. As of now, I am unaware of any replacement exhaust.

3. Ride comfort and handling is superb and is definitely best amongst all Enfields.

4. There is loads of low end torque. You don't need to down shift as much while breaking, the low end torque takes care of it.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-him2.jpg

Last edited by Blazkowicz : 6th May 2016 at 00:18.
Blazkowicz is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed