Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2016, 12:15   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post
Having ridden D390 in the past, this machine feels like riding the SUV of the bikes
Congratulations on the bike, out of curiosity what made you decide on the Himalayan? Especially after riding a faster bike, with more gadgets?

The Tappet sound will exist and from my service guy, I was told that it needs to be checked for gap/consistency once every two services. That's the engine clatter many people speak about.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 13:20   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Congratulations on the bike, out of curiosity what made you decide on the Himalayan? Especially after riding a faster bike, with more gadgets?

The Tappet sound will exist and from my service guy, I was told that it needs to be checked for gap/consistency once every two services. That's the engine clatter many people speak about.
The one and only deciding factor was pillion ride comfort and after the test ride of the Himalayan with my wifey, it was a thumbs up from her.
With D390, i could do only rides with my better half, neither she nor me were comfortable after say 50 kms of ride.
last weekend i did a 350 kms ride to Yelagiri and back and trust me she was the happiest to sit behind and ride with me
Bigger picture is I wanna do a CDG-Manali-Leh-Srinagar-CDG with her in aug-sep. Lets hope it happens!
AMG_ang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 13:04   #258

Finally booked the Himalayan after a few extensive test rides over smooth tarmac, rough roads and no-roads. Even rode it through sugar cane fields which are in abundance in my part of the country. I have not had so much fun on a bike in recent memory! I can safely say that this is definitely a purpose build product; it can do things that some very expensive bikes cannot!!

I already have a heavily customized HD Street Bob 2012 and a Suzuki Bandit 1250s converted into a Street-fighter. Both of these bikes have been with me since a few years and I immensely enjoy riding them. Yet I do not find any of them suitable to go to Ladakh! Reason No.1 - they are too much of an eye magnet. Reason No.2 - I do not want to be stranded if something goes wrong on the way.
amberanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 19:36   #259
BHPian

Did a short test ride. It's a big bike. I'm 5.5. Liked the riding posture. Had no issues with the knees hitting the baggage frame around the tank. I could put both legs firmly on the ground. Looks purpose built. Loved the "clean" looks. Something i miss in many of the "over-designed" bikes. Started and the engine went off when i shifted to first. Happened twice. (Then i saw this happen in one of the YouTube reviews too.) Then the showroom guy did something and the engine stayed on. Enjoyed the ride. Notchy gearbox though. Could've been a tad more powerful to suit the size and looks of the bike.

* goes back to bank robbery discussions *

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post
Attachment 1511849

Picked up my Himalayan on Friday and did a quick ride to Yelagiri on Sat and back on Sunday!
Having ridden D390 in the past, this machine feels like riding the SUV of the bikes
All is well until now except that im hearing some tappet sound. Hopefully it goes after 1st servicing.
I too heard that tak-tak sound....which spoils the engine sound.
The headlight not turning with the handle was a little weird for me. While riding, the instrument console didn't turn with the handle either, making me wonder where the bike's going. Must be my hangover from RX days.
Will wait for longtime ownership reviews.

-- Torqy

Last edited by Samurai : 31st May 2016 at 21:11.
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 07:25   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Started and the engine went off when i shifted to first. Happened twice. (Then i saw this happen in one of the YouTube reviews too.) Then the showroom guy did something and the engine stayed on.
-- Torqy
This happens when the idle is rather low, especially when the engine is cold. Idle speed goes up once the engine is a bit warm and this does not happen. Did this happen when the engine was cold? Adjusting the idle speed screw to increase it would solve the issue. I found it to be just about 800 rpm.
Old 1st June 2016, 19:59   #261
BHPian

The Royal Enfield Himalayan Test-Ride Thread

Bagheera comes home.

I took delivery of my Granite Himalayan after a long wait. I am really thrilled with it. Can't wait to step out of office to hop on to it again.

I ll put up an ownership thread soon but for now some initial observations.

- the welds are very neat now. They now seem to be the robotic welds.
- the clutch is heavy. May ease out after 1st service.
- felt more heat on my seats than the test bike I rode.
- gear shifts are hard but they slot in well. No false gears yet and am able to find neutral.
- I am not sure about this yet but to my eye it seemed like the headlight frame was a little out of the center.
- ride quality is amazing. Loved the way It glided over the two sloppy bumps on the five furlong road (Chennai race course road).
- very well balanced and easy maneuverability.
- the throttle response is excellent.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1464791314.929289.jpgThe 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1464791332.575476.jpgThe 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1464791343.488449.jpg

Last edited by Jude300 : 1st June 2016 at 20:00.
Jude300 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 03:47   #262
BHPian

Call me a newbie, but specially on Himalayan terrain, wouldn't the headlight moving where you're turning be a SAFETY feature?

If I'm on adventurous terrain, don't I want to see where I'm turning, specially at slow speeds or rocky areas etc.
P.S. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 11:19   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Call me a newbie, but specially on Himalayan terrain, wouldn't the headlight moving where you're turning be a SAFETY feature?

If I'm on adventurous terrain, don't I want to see where I'm turning, specially at slow speeds or rocky areas etc.
Unless you're at low speeds of around 20 km/h, you don't really turn the motorcycle by turning the handlebars.

As long as the headlamps have a wide enough spread, it's good. If you think it's not wide enough, you can always get auxiliary LED lights which have wide beams.

Also, removing the the headlight from the handlebar makes the front-end lighter making it easier to navigate through rough terrains.
Old 2nd June 2016, 14:04   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post
Unless you're at low speeds of around 20 km/h, you don't really turn the motorcycle by turning the handlebars.

As long as the headlamps have a wide enough spread, it's good. If you think it's not wide enough, you can always get auxiliary LED lights which have wide beams.

Also, removing the the headlight from the handlebar makes the front-end lighter making it easier to navigate through rough terrains.

While the logic holds, low beam lighting is a real pain during turns/corners especially at ghats/ hills where the frequency of such turns is high and usually a turn in one direction is immediately followed by another in the opp direction.

As the cut off tilts with the frame, it makes the throw diagonal to the road. The lag between frame and the bar makes the road ahead invisible to the rider. I have been using the flasher to counter this problem
Rajiv0909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 16:02   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post

Also, removing the the headlight from the handlebar makes the front-end
lighter making it easier to navigate through rough terrains.
On a lighter note, auxiliary lights also attract auxiliary creatures like Traffic Cops.

[quote=Rajiv0909;3988313]While the logic holds, low beam lighting is a real pain during turns/corners especially at ghats/ hills where the frequency of such turns is high and usually a turn in one direction is immediately followed by another in the opp direction.

/QUOTE]

Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to. Hopefully.

-- Torqy
Old 3rd June 2016, 15:34   #266
BHPian

For the first time there is a blog with pictures and a listing of issues with the himalayan
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1090232837703744&id=107232602 670444
Or here is the blog link
https://wanderdriveeat.wordpress.com/2016/06/02/royal-enfield-himalayan-reports-of-early-problems-already-coming-in/

Interesting reading. A lot of this can be cross checked with the RE service staff where these bikes are being brought for repair.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 20:28   #267
BHPian

For some reason, My friend's Himalayan instrument cluster started showing miles. Any idea on how to reset it back to kilometers ? The manual doesn't seem to have this information
Old 4th June 2016, 11:41   #268
Senior - BHPian

Our 2 Himalayans have arrived!

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-royal-enfield-himalayan-03062016_1.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-royal-enfield-himalayan-03062016_2.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-royal-enfield-himalayan-03062016_3.jpg

But the bike cannot be delivered to me immediately as the PDI Kit which supposedly carries some oil filter and other stuff has not arrived from Chennai. They would be changing the oil and oil filter and handing the bike to me after this PDI. Unique! Always heard of factory filled oils and stuff in other brands. Anyways, this will cause a delay of few days which is irritating to say the least. Also as this is the first Himalayan that they are delivering, they need to 'supposedly' provide photographic evidence to Chennai to ensure that all was done perfectly. Seems like RE is quite serious about this bike.

The month and year of manufacture is 05/2016 as per VIN check from their backend. The Ceat tyres bore a 0616 seal meaning they were manufactured in February 2016

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-royal-enfield-himalayan-03062016_4.jpg

Only got the manual for reading in the meantime....lolz

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-royal-enfield-himalayan-03062016_5.jpg

Liked the Long Riding boots from RE

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-royal-enfield-long-riding-boots_1.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-royal-enfield-long-riding-boots_2.jpg

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 4th June 2016 at 11:43.
dkaile is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 12:34   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Our 2 Himalayans have arrived!

But the bike cannot be delivered to me immediately as the PDI Kit which supposedly carries some oil filter and other stuff has not arrived from Chennai. They would be changing the oil and oil filter and handing the bike to me after this PDI. Unique!

Liked the Long Riding boots from RE

Attachment 1514031

Attachment 1514032

Cheers...
I'm sure they just want to keep the bikes on display for a few days hence they're giving you excuses!

These boots are part of the old stock. If you are considering buying them, ensure that you get the 50% discount! The new ones come with the new RE logo and branding.
Old 4th June 2016, 12:51   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueunlimited View Post
I'm sure they just want to keep the bikes on display for a few days hence they're giving you excuses!

These boots are part of the old stock. If you are considering buying them, ensure that you get the 50% discount! The new ones come with the new RE logo and branding.
Lolz... Yup, as the dealer is a close friend, he did mention that this delay might get him to rake up some more bookings for the Himalayan as they have a quota of 2 bikes every month for now, but the PDI thing is no excuse. Though 10L's of engine oil (15W50 grade) has reached the dealership, the oil filter is still on its way through GATI to them from Chennai. Each bike needs a 2L refill.

The Boots are of exceptional quality though I doubt any dealership will let them go @50% discount. As my size was not available, he has ordered new one's in my size which should hopefully be of the new branding that you are talking about, though that hardly matters to me.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 4th June 2016 at 12:58.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks