Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:28   #436
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
My perception started changing back after getting parts like the speedo console and fuel pump replaced on my Duke. These were the only electronic/electromechanical components that were changed in warranty. The whole engine was replaced due to mechanical faults but that can happen to any vehicle.
Makes sense! like they say- one bitten, twice shy!!
when RE introduced EFI with UCE 500 in 2010, many were skeptical of the longevity, as the company is not really associated with or known for cutting-edge techology. To top that, they downgraded the product to be sold in India by eliminating o2 sensor, etc making the bike more vulnerable to failures w.r.t technology. Also, components such as injector, fuel pump, ECU are very expensive to replace as spare. All these points combined and weighed against older carbed models, the later made better sense. Myself had an incident where on C5 the entire wiring harness was charred cos of some wires shorting, and the bike had to be towed in a carrier from somewhere around kanakpura to bangalore. Luckily the bike was fixed under warranty, repairs would have costed heavily otherwise. Based on this and a few other minor tech related incidents, my preference for simple tech/old school. As DIY enthusiast, i also enjoyed fiddling with carbs, jets etc and attempting minor maintenance work.
Just that the last two bikes i have used are both EFI with ABS and have not given any electronics based headache so far, so the shift in perception. For that matter the mechanical speedometer on my C5 conked off twice and was replaced. Happened once on the machismo as well. Ignition switch replaced so many times, have lost count of. Carbs clogging, fuel overflowing, improper tuning resulting in busted plugs, they all have their share of issues. with time as more and more bikes get heavy on tech, the support system around will develop & adapt. Now its easy to get a tubeless puncture repaired even in remote areas as many commuter bikes are tubeless these days. Have heard they want to make CBS/ABS compulsory for 150+cc bikes soon. It may not take that long for the road side mechanics to adapt and gain capability to fix majority of issues on modern tech bikes. RE is come a long way since introduction of EFI and constant improvement means lesser number of bikes facing electronics related malfunction. But then there is a long way to go.
I have also been waiting for the 390 adv. Is there any authentic info on the same?
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:44   #437
Senior - BHPian

Passed on from a friend!!

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-1470129224855.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 2nd August 2016 at 14:48.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 16:00   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I have also been waiting for the 390 adv. Is there any authentic info on the same?
Its like the Emperor's new Clothes story
Been in the news for quite a few years now but again which chassis will they fit that motor into?
Read an interesting article on the net a few weeks ago as to why KTM is not keen to get an adventure based on the 390 motor. Basically they feel that the new chassis should be engineered/developed and the numbers do not justify the overheads that they will accumulate. Probably with Himalayan they might feel all the more tempted.

The new chassis they are referring is due to the fact they think their existing chassis of 390 lacks a proper subframe to support the luggage loads.

Will try to google the link and post it here...lest I get an infraction from the mods team
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 17:36   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

The new 390 which was spotted up close happened to have a new sub frame on it... We see going off topic here but I reckon we are about two years away from a 390 adv. I would expect 2018 eicma Milan to be the showcase for that.
Old 2nd August 2016, 18:11   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I would expect 2018 eicma Milan to be the showcase for that.
Fantastic update, pray do share the link for the same so that I can religiously follow it up.
If the sub frame issue has been sorted out, the 390 motor with a different fuel map should be one hell of a machine to tour with. Hopefully it addresses the LET issue which should make touring much more enjoyable.

Yes its Off Topic

Last edited by ku69rd : 2nd August 2016 at 18:13.
Old 2nd August 2016, 18:16   #441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Fantastic update, pray do share the link for the same so that I can religiously follow it up.
If the sub frame issue has been sorted out, the 390 motor with a different fuel map should be one hell of a machine to tour with. Hopefully it addresses the LET issue which should make touring much more enjoyable.

Yes its Off Topic
Here you go. Can you make out the sub frame or are we seeing things that aren't there?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3994755
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 16:06   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Its like the Emperor's new Clothes story
Been in the news for quite a few years now but again which chassis will they fit that motor into?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Makes sense! like they say- one bitten, twice shy!!
when RE introduced EFI with UCE 500 in 2010

Just that the last two bikes i have used are both EFI with ABS and have not given any electronics based headache so far, so the shift in perception. For that matter the mechanical speedometer on my C5 conked off twice and was replaced.

Carbs clogging, fuel overflowing, improper tuning resulting in busted plugs, they all have their share of issues. with time as more and more bikes get heavy on tech, the support system around will develop & adapt.

Have heard they want to make CBS/ABS compulsory for 150+cc bikes soon. It may not take that long for the road side mechanics to adapt and gain capability to fix majority of issues on modern tech bikes.

RE is come a long way...

I'll start with what I have heard of the KTM Adventure. I have heard from two KTM employees that something (they would understandably not give me any details) is coming out by the end of 2016 and I should wait till then before I go for the Himalayan. A friend of mine who is mainly a RE rider has a friend in KTM. He too hinted that the Adv is coming. In any case I will not be buying the Himalayan from the first couple of lots especially after what I endured with my early batch 2012 Duke 200. "Once bitten twice shy" indeed!

Yes, I have heard all about the initial problems of the C5. Well, most of it anyway like the swingarm bushes, front wheel size, stability and fishtailing issue, paint chipping and the infamous plug fouling and mid range hesitation due to the lack of a lambda sensor. The late batch C5 has many improvements but is still not "perfect", if I may. The T-bird 500 is another step forward. It is basically a C5 but with thicker fork tubes, oval section swingarm and two additional longitudinal members under the engine to add stiffness to the chassis. Quite an improvement, I'd say.

But the Himalayan is a completely new machine and one that is completely outside of the typical RE cast. The fact that they made such a different bike and with build quality never before seen on RE is reassuring. Yes, RE has definitely come a long way, more so with the launch of the Himalayan.

And yes, mechanical parts can malfunction and fail too. My years with our family Bullet that has just turned 37 have taught me that. One does not think about an overflowing carb and fouled plugs on a fuel injected vehicle. Remember when cars were carburetted? Not just one plug to check there! Talking about speedometers, our '79 Bullet 350's speedo still works after all these years. It's the one in my avatar here.

I think the keyword here is quality. A sophisticated vehicle can be totally worry free if build quality is high. Given the costs of manufacturing and other supporting processes, it may be quite difficult to produce an "absolutely reliable" (another Utopian concept?) machine that rarely, if at all, breaks down and yet is affordable. In absence of such high build quality, I think it is safer to have a machine that is simple and easy to tend to in case of breakdown.

And I think you may be right about road side mechanics adapting to new tech. We may be talking about it happening eventually for motorcycles but it has already happened for cars. There was once a time when fuel injection meant support was exclusively available from company service centres now almost any car can be repaired outside. I think what is needed for that to happen for bikes is FI to become mainstream in the general "Saplendar" and "Paltina" crowd and just those who understand what the tech is all about... One day...
Darth Sid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 18:32   #443
BHPian

I am just weeks away from getting my RE Himalayan, and this turn's me off completely, is this one odd case? Guys and guru's please give me an honest advise, I am head over heels with the Himalayan and my head is making me go mad if I should walk away from this acquisition because of these issues. I am not looking for a short term acquisition, this would be in my stable for at least 3 to 4 years if not more. If this sub par quality is offered, I should settle for something that talks quality in each an every bolt! But that's a different topic altogether, Please help me guys, I am getting restless.

Thanks
Video Courtsey - Youtube

Last edited by MadTiger : 5th August 2016 at 18:33. Reason: Video Courtsey
MadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 18:50   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
is this one odd case?
Not really. Many have such issues to report. In his case his bike seems to have fallen on the left side at some point to crack both his indicators of that side. This is NOT a known issue at all. Indicators are perfectly stable. Secondly the rust on the brake disks etc. that he is showing, I can see more rust than that on my Harley...lolz. Normal in this weather and requires some TLC. Engine noise is definitely over amplified due to the wall besides the bike. See the video on my ownership thread to compare the engine and exhaust noise. After the tappet arm replacement (which hopefully in your case, will already be done from the factory) and putting up a few kms and getting the 1st service done, the engine should be butter smooth. The plastic caps falling off is a issue and should be super-glued while doing your PDI. Some people have reported paint peeling and moisture in the instrument console which are being replaced free of cost by the company.

Like I read somewhere

Quote:
The Himalayan is imperfect, but in so many ways, it is just so right!
Don't worry too much. Cribbers are always there. Do a thorough PDI before accepting delivery. Don't take a sub-standard bike and you should be OK. Take a July onward mfg bike.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 5th August 2016 at 19:02.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 19:47   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
I am just weeks away from getting my RE Himalayan, and this Please help me guys, I am getting restless.

From my experience with the bike so far I would confidently say I am delighted to own one. It comes from the RE stable and has its share of niggles. The good news is that the niggles are not really serious ones. The only serious thing was the rocker assembly replacement and that would have already taken care of in the bike you would take.

Trust me. The bike has become much smoother post the rocker assembly was changed. And it's settling down post 1250km. I felt so in my bike.

The only pressing issue is the hard clutch and gears. The gearing has improved in the last couple of days. Not sure if it's temporary.

The bike is fun to ride and as many have said it shines on bad / no roads. I have not done any off roading so far but the rides on broken roads have been enjoyable. I wear that wicked smile each time I pass through the others with ease on those broken roads.
Jude300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 20:22   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Not really. Many have such issues to report. See the video on my ownership thread to compare the engine and exhaust noise. After the tappet arm replacement (which hopefully in your case, will already be done from the factory) and putting up a few kms and getting the 1st service done, the engine should be butter smooth.

Like I read somewhere

Don't worry too much. Cribbers are always there. Do a thorough PDI before accepting delivery. Don't take a sub-standard bike and you should be OK. Take a July onward mfg bike.

Cheers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
From my experience with the bike so far I would confidently say I am delighted to own one.

The bike is fun to ride and as many have said it shines on bad / no roads. I have not done any off roading so far but the rides on broken roads have been enjoyable. I wear that wicked smile each time I pass through the others with ease on those broken roads.
Thank you Guys! @dkaile, yours was the first review that I had gone through before booking my Himalayan, I would say what a detailed review you have done kudos! I am settled now and I will follow the PDI instruction. I am sure my Himalayan will give me more reasons to smile than to crib about!

Thanks once again!
MadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 02:04   #447
BHPian

I found this video of a guy changing his tyre on the new Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin (which also happens to use a Tube-type tyre). Though its not Himalayan related, its quite informative and might just help when the inevitable puncture happens.

maker_of_things is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 14:17   #448
BHPian

News for RE Himalayan owners. Karnataka has the highest number of RE HIMALAYAN. Does it mean Bangalore roads qualify for Offroading

Reference to the Article:LINK
Arindam_Nayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 11:27   #449
Senior - BHPian

Help:

Hi guys i want to add Voltage gauge & Engine Temperature gauge to my Himalayan.
  1. Need wiring diagram of Himalayan.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-dsc_0004-medium.jpg
  2. Which is the In & out of the Oil cooler. (my guess 1 is in 2 is out)

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-dsc_0007-medium.jpg

Last edited by jeepster : 21st August 2016 at 11:36.
Old 22nd August 2016, 21:24   #450
BHPian

Two Himalayans with broken front forks, north of Rohtang around Keylong- anyone has any updates on this?
On the good- bikes after the first 2000 pieces are coming now fitted with 'corrections' to clutch and gear settings- and that engine noise that everyone was complaining about as tappets- on a OHC engine- reduced or gone.
Anyone with confirmed news on this >2000 bike 'upgrades.'
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks