Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 15:11   #631
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
A Bigger Royal Enfield Himalayan Is On Its Way, Says CEO Siddhartha Lal.

Royal Enfield is working on a higher displacement Himalayan and the confirmation comes from their CEO himself. Siddhartha Lal, CEO of Eicher Motors, in an recent interview, confirmed that Royal Enfield has selected models which will get higher displacement and more powerful versions and the Himalayan is one of those.
Source
I think more than CC, what they need to work on is how efficient there engines are, or BHp/cc which is lagging behind than other manufacturers.
The power figures of Himalayan doesn't justify a 411 cc engine.

Another thought, when the in hand model are facing quality issues and the owners are after higher CCs and new bikes, it indicates the focus area of company.
hrsraghav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 16:27   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I wonder which engine they are planning. IMO the 500 of the Classic or the 535 of the GT should be sufficient. And hopefully they add ABS.
Even I think he was pointing towards the Paraller Twin engine. But the point is that the Himalayan is still in its teething period. It will not be wise to launch it with a bigger engine. Rather they must launch a TB/CL with the twins.
Old 24th May 2017, 17:50   #633
BHPian

Great news, Now I can buy a new one after 5 years once the teething issues of bike and engine will be sorted out.
Old 25th May 2017, 09:13   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I wonder which engine they are planning. IMO the 500 of the Classic or the 535 of the GT should be sufficient. And hopefully they add ABS.
The 535 is good only in terms of torque. It is terrible in terms of smoothness and vibration. Any speed beyond 90 KMPH it is difficult to ride long hours on the highway The 411cc engine of the Himalayan scores much higher in terms of vibration and smoothness. You can keep going on at 100 KMPH easily since there are no vibrations. This matters a lot for long distance riding. I have both of the bikes as of now.
arulpeem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 10:22   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Even I think he was pointing towards the Paraller Twin engine. But the point is that the Himalayan is still in its teething period. It will not be wise to launch it with a bigger engine. Rather they must launch a TB/CL with the twins.
Completely agree. I can just imagine the problems they are going to face with the twin cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
The 535 is good only in terms of torque. It is terrible in terms of smoothness and vibration. Any speed beyond 90 KMPH it is difficult to ride long hours on the highway The 411cc engine of the Himalayan scores much higher in terms of vibration and smoothness. You can keep going on at 100 KMPH easily since there are no vibrations. This matters a lot for long distance riding. I have both of the bikes as of now.
The vibrations can be eliminated (or atleast reduced a lot) with good balance shaft setup. But all this is sure to push up the price atleast 50-60k. Then does it make sense to buy such Himalayan over the new D390?
Old 25th May 2017, 13:38   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
I saw in one of promo that they used counter weights to balance the vibrations in 411cc engine of Himalayan. I am not aware is it something mandatory for 2 stroke engines to reduce vibrations, and if the same will be used in the new engine too.

Now with rumors of one more variant of Himalayan, its making me more confused when I was about to take the plunge.
If could get some hint on the probable timelines for its introduction, then it will be easier for me to decide.
Old 25th May 2017, 15:42   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
If could get some hint on the probable timelines for its introduction, then it will be easier for me to decide.
1. Plunge now will be substantially cheaper
2. The 411cc is somewhat bedded in now and is a known animal
3. Get used to living with a RE if you haven't before :-D
4. Higher displacement on the Himalayan will pit it against better built competition, taking away the price advantage. I highly doubt if the bigger engine will have comparable output to similar displacements from a KTM or BMW or anyone who knows how to build an engine
thedragonreborn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 07:50   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonreborn View Post
1. Plunge now will be substantially cheaper
2. The 411cc is somewhat bedded in now and is a known animal
3. Get used to living with a RE if you haven't before :-D
4. Higher displacement on the Himalayan will pit it against better built competition, taking away the price advantage. I highly doubt if the bigger engine will have comparable output to similar displacements from a KTM or BMW or anyone who knows how to build an engine
Just yesterday got to know that BSIV Himalayan will be delivered not before mid of July.
This seems as a surprise since earlier dates were around mid of May, and its being pushed further for good two month, specially if one considers they already were having EFI for Himalayan version for other countries, so it shouldn't have taken this much time to incorporate for India.

It seems they are using this window for sorting the issues.
Or maybe adding on couple of more features (maybe ABS as that too is readily available elsewhere.)

I hate speculating
Still both reasons are good ones and indicates RE is either focusing on development or refinement of Himalayan.

Last edited by hrsraghav : 28th May 2017 at 07:52.
Old 29th May 2017, 11:16   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Just yesterday got to know that BSIV Himalayan will be delivered not before mid of July.
This seems as a surprise since earlier dates were around mid of May, and its being pushed further for good two month, specially if one considers they already were having EFI for Himalayan version for other countries, so it shouldn't have taken this much time to incorporate for India.

It seems they are using this window for sorting the issues.
Or maybe adding on couple of more features (maybe ABS as that too is readily available elsewhere.)

I hate speculating
Still both reasons are good ones and indicates RE is either focusing on development or refinement of Himalayan.
Hehe! Speculation would have helped a few years ago if you got you hands on some RE stock.

I was told last week that ABS is in the pipeline only for the BS6 compliant bikes. This was by the blokes at the RE store in Bandra.

As for my booking, I am about to pull it out having managed to find a fantastic copy of the bike with 1700km on the odo and about 6 months old. Two years on it, before thinking about a bigger displacement engine, if RE manages to get round to it.

Cheers!
Old 29th May 2017, 12:43   #640
BHPian

Quote:
I was told just yesterday that the Himalayans should be arriving from mid-June. I just hope that the delayed release is to set the bike in order and not some bureaucratic hold-up.
Old 3rd June 2017, 01:05   #641
BHPian

Himalayan in the news again !!!

Royal Enfield Himalayan frame allegedly CRACKS at 40 Kph; Rider miraculously escapes unhurt

A week ago, Jason D’Souza, a Royal Enfield Himayalan owner from Mumbai, had the scare of his life. According to him, his Himalayan’s frame cracked while he was riding at about 30-40 Kph. While Jason managed to stop the motorcycle safely and escaped unhurt, he was left fuming at the poor quality of the Himalayan.
Source: cartoq

And the saga continues. The bike is unfolding like a suspense thriller.Once you start to feel safe with it, a new story surfaces. This case is directly from one of my nightmares. I used to wonder what would happen if my TBird's chassis breaks while crossing a pothole at 80KMPH.
Ry_der is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 09:48   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Himalayan in the news again !!!

Royal Enfield Himalayan frame allegedly CRACKS at 40 Kph; Rider miraculously escapes unhurt
The news has already been posted and discussed mate

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post4207019
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 17:50   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
The news has already been posted and discussed mate

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post4207019
Apologies for reposting an old article. I was unaware of the same.
Old 4th June 2017, 10:23   #644
BHPian

So the BS4 Himalayan is still not out in the market yet. Checking with the local dealer, they are suggesting it is expected to launch by end July/early August, instead of original plan of May 2017.

Hopefully, the company is sorting out the quality issues of the Himalayan, before launching the BS4 version. Fingers crossed.
Old 4th June 2017, 12:57   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
So the BS4 Himalayan is still...

Fingers crossed.
ARAI testing needed a bunch of Km- lakh plus on the homologation bikes with mandatory notes and the likes- which probably never saw light of day in the QA and QC departments of RE. IF they say they did 'extensive' riding and trials on trails- how did this bike ever get born like this?

What is it that they are going to do? They will tighten the screws on hapless vendors with returns and more penny pinching methods, and encourage them to follow the Tata model- sell to RE cheap and make your money in the spares market.

FIRST STEP
They should enforce everyone from QA QC Purchase and Vendor Development teams to ride a Himalayan. Compulsory. Then watch the fun.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed