Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2018, 11:49   #676

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Picked my Himalayan Sleet yesterday. Delivery taken without the accessories kit which will be arriving in a day or two.
Ridden only for about 40km, initial impression is its smoother than carb version, gear shifts are smoother. First thing I changed is the headlight bulb to a LED one, it makes a heaven of difference to illumination.
Detailed review follows as I munch some miles.
Hey! Congrats on this beauty.

The color scheme is to die for, almost.

While RE has been milking the market by amping up sales with 'paint-job only' variants (the classics and new TB Xs in point) with this one they did offer some additional functional upgrades and accessories.

The new handlebar, hand-grip end weights etc. Believe its called the Explorer Kit

Could you, for the benefit of prospective owners, help details these features here and your experience ride-wise? I believe most of these options can be incorporated through RE themselves as after market upgrades and accessories or through trusted 3rd party vendors and garages/mechanics.

Also was wondering where the RE luggage panniers are? Did you remove them?

Tx!
Old 9th March 2018, 03:57   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhorjuyal View Post
Hey! Congrats on this beauty.

The color scheme is to die for, almost.

While RE has been milking the market by amping up sales with 'paint-job only' variants (the classics and new TB Xs in point) with this one they did offer some additional functional upgrades and accessories.

The new handlebar, hand-grip end weights etc. Believe its called the Explorer Kit

Could you, for the benefit of prospective owners, help details these features here and your experience ride-wise? I believe most of these options can be incorporated through RE themselves as after market upgrades and accessories or through trusted 3rd party vendors and garages/mechanics.

Also was wondering where the RE luggage panniers are? Did you remove them?

Tx!
Thanks for the wishes.
Actually Sleet is also a paint job Model Only less for the Explorer Kit. The kit consists of 2 metal panniers, a black painted handle bar with different bar end weights and a RE backpack cum tail bag. My bike was without the kit on day of delivery, it came few days later.

I am personally loving the bike, small, light n agile. Only complaint is little lack of power once one hits the highway ( other bike being a Versys feel of lack of power is very pronounced).

Mechanically it's identical to the FI BS-IV Himalayan so no difference in handling.
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-1520547977631.jpg  

techfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2018, 11:48   #678
BHPian

I think about 80-90 is the ideal speed for it. Post that wind buffeting also becomes an issue. I believe sleet+explorer additionally comes with leg/engine guard and radiator cover. The handlebar is also supposed to be a little wider.
The RE backpack might just be the dealer being nice :-). Do you mind sharing the pics of the backpack?

Quote:
Thanks for the wishes.
Actually Sleet is also a paint job Model Only less for the Explorer Kit. The kit consists of 2 metal panniers, a black painted handle bar with different bar end weights and a RE backpack cum tail bag. My bike was without the kit on day of delivery, it came few days later.

I am personally loving the bike, small, light n agile. Only complaint is little lack of power once one hits the highway ( other bike being a Versys feel of lack of power is very pronounced).

Mechanically it's identical to the FI BS-IV Himalayan so no difference in handling.
Old 11th March 2018, 13:25   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiviv View Post
I think about 80-90 is the ideal speed for it. Post that wind buffeting also becomes an issue. I believe sleet+explorer additionally comes with leg/engine guard and radiator cover. The handlebar is also supposed to be a little wider.
The RE backpack might just be the dealer being nice :-). Do you mind sharing the pics of the backpack?
Well wind buffeting is an issue in all bikes over 80-90 kmph. Which other bike in the same category or lower has lesser wind buffeting. And regarding the handlebar, I think it's quite properly sized. This isn't a ONLY tourer bike to have wide handlebars.

What I love of the Himalayan is it's size. I mean it is a fairly large motorcycle to seat two VERY comfortably for touring. I don't see any other bike except the Standard and the Thunderbird offering the same comfort. Yet the Himalayan does a great job on broken roads and off road.

And to be honest I feel that RE has been providing the best handlebar, handlebar grips and weights since about 10-15 years compared to any other bike in the same price range or lesser.

Although I prefer the older vertical switchgear for its classic look, the newer switchgear is easier to use but lacks the chunkiness of the older switches.
Gordon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2018, 15:14   #680
BHPian

Buffering is slightly more prominent in this case because of the wind screen. Also depends on riders height though. Some folks have cut the top or removed it completely to avoid/reduce it.
Old 11th March 2018, 15:38   #681
Senior - BHPian

Simple rule of thumb, lean in towards the handlebars and the buffeting / drag / whatever is reduced significantly. Sitting bolt upright when the speed goes up is the absolute worst u can do
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 11:34   #682

Quote:
Thanks for the wishes.

Thanks for the info. Did you pay a single cost for the entire bike or was the cost disclosed as price of bike+price of accessories?

Alright, so I'm asking this across the forum coz I'm trying to get some clarity on how this works. I'd email registered for the Sleet when it was coming out in Jan, and received a code too but some financials didn't fall into place and I let the bike go.

Yesterday, I randomly got a call out of the blue from a RE dealer from Sohna Road, Gurgaon, Haryana asking me if I was interested in the Sleet and offered me to come check it out at the showroom.

So far so good. As we got talking I asked him the price difference and whats different between the two. He told me the only difference between the two bikes was the paint job for which one paid approx 4-5 K more.

Since I was under the impression that the Sleet came with the explorer Kit all inclusive (at a price premium) I asked him about the add-on accessories. The sales guy told me that the price of the bike was the "without panniers" cost, which would cost extra as an add-on accessory.
When queried about each of the features advertised as the Explorer Kit (handle bar, handle weights, engine guard etc.) turned out he meant that the bike came with ZERO accessories and each one could be custom added on at a fixed cost i.e. one could pick and choose which ones from the Explorer Kit one wanted (and also add more other kit not part of the advertised package).
He also assured me upon repeated asking that the Black and Snow versions of the bikes could also be supplied with the full Explorer Kit or in other words a Sleet without the paint job.

So, is what the sales guy telling me, how its done?

This level of dealer end-customization sounds too good to be true, but I hope its a direction they go in. Also, it may be worth knowing for existing/prospective Himalayan owners that they could avoid the cost of a paint upgrade but still avail a range of customizations, if what's being said is true.

Honestly, I like the paint scheme enough to pay a small premium for it. But what really got me interested in the Explorer Kit was the new handlebar and handle weights - since these will improve my ride - and the pannier rack/attachments which allows me a company factory spec accessory for the bike which I can choose to customize or repurpose according to my travelling needs [not keen on the panniers - prefer soft rain proof flexible storage options]

I was out of town and couldn't go check out the bike or have a more detailed conversation but will be following up in the coming week/s depending upon work commitments.

Would appreciate all you'allz input on this. I'm keen to pick up the Sleet if I can.

Also, small FYI : Regular Himalayans are available through CSD but not the Sleet.

Cheers!

P.S. Somebody mentioned if you could show us the free bag that you got with.
Old 13th March 2018, 00:20   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhorjuyal View Post
Thanks for the info. Did you pay a single cost for the entire bike or was the cost disclosed as price of bike+price of accessories?

Would appreciate all you'allz input on this. I'm keen to pick up the Sleet if I can.

Also, small FYI : Regular Himalayans are available through CSD but not the Sleet.

Cheers!

P.S. Somebody mentioned if you could show us the free bag that you got with.
I've been checking the bs4 for a few days as well, based on what I understood so far.

>> Those who got the code could have purchased online with certain discount on the Sleet+Explorer kit, I guess it worked out to be additional 28K (discounted rate) for the explorer kit (I had the code, but did not place order online, missed the date.

>> You can still get the REH Sleet for additional 5K to the on-road prices. However, the explorer kit that you buy from the dealer will cost you around 35K (no discount)

>> You should still be able to go for just the explorer kit for the granite or snowwhite version if you are planning to buy or already have

>> I was told that a helmet (not a full faced) will be given as a gift/goody from RE, when asked if it can be exchanged with cash or other items, a rep told me that it may be possible to get some 1k store credit and buy something else with that

>> To me, it looks like going with a granite or snowwhite makes more sense, the explorer kit can be purchased later if you really feel the need and there are other after-market options available at lesser price and may be same decent quality, after market panniers with the similar quality come for cheaper and I've heard it has slightly more space. I too seem to like the soft saddle bags than the panniers and if I end up buying, I shall decide on those later.
hth.

Last edited by Ketan : 13th March 2018 at 00:22.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 10:36   #684
BHPian

Got mine yesterday. Cant wait to cross 500 and then 2000 km.
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20180316_210841.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20180316_173306.jpg  

joshiviv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 11:28   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post

>> To me, it looks like going with a granite or snowwhite makes more sense, the explorer kit can be purchased later if you really feel the need and there are other after-market options available at lesser price and may be same decent quality, after market panniers with the similar quality come for cheaper and I've heard it has slightly more space. I too seem to like the soft saddle bags than the panniers and if I end up buying, I shall decide on those later.

hth.
Aftermarket panniers of same quality are atleast twice expensive.
So better to take RE panniers n brackets.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 12:36   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Got mine yesterday. Cant wait to cross 500 and then 2000 km.

Congrats on your new ride! Do keep us posted on your experiences & views.

Mine will be home by the next week, so will be joining you in the impatience to cross the 2000km mark soon 😀
Old 17th March 2018, 16:04   #687
BHPian

Will do. Loving it so far, great low end torque. Seems like a bike that can go all day.
Getting on and off takes some getting used to with the Panniers. You have to do some calisthenics. Also need to find a cover for the bike since the panniers have made it extra wide. If someone has some suggestions, let me know.
All the best on your bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
Congrats on your new ride! Do keep us posted on your experiences & views.

Mine will be home by the next week, so will be joining you in the impatience to cross the 2000km mark soon 😀
Old 17th March 2018, 17:57   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will do. Loving it so far, great low end torque. Seems like a bike that can go all day.
Getting on and off takes some getting used to with the Panniers. You have to do some calisthenics. Also need to find a cover for the bike since the panniers have made it extra wide. If someone has some suggestions, let me know.
All the best on your bike.
I believe RJAYS covers are quite big enough and will also have a soft liner on the inside.
Old 18th March 2018, 22:41   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aftermarket panniers of same quality are atleast twice expensive.
So better to take RE panniers n brackets.
There are quite a few in the market. I shall share more details, I read about trek n Ride, Dirt sacks, Volga and few others, they usually start around 15k and range around the same price as current RE ones.

I've been enquiring with Teknik motorcycles here in Bangalore, they told me that they have the snowwhite in stock and can deliver me in couple of days time if I make the payment. I'm going to ask for the VIN, also going to ask for my presence during the PDI, anything else that I should be aware of or be warned about! I guess this should be the state, most dealers around here are ready to deliver within a week's time I guess while people are still on the fence and they have enough supply.
Old 23rd March 2018, 19:18   #690
Team-BHP Support

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20180323_16395432001.jpeg

I decided to buy a new bike. There were only three options that were in my consideration.

The Duke 390: Awesome bike. But I am sure I would kill myself riding this maniac speed monster.

The Stealth Black: Beautiful. I almost bought this.

The Himalayan: When I go on long trips, most of my friends easily overtake me on good roads. But give me bad roads and I fly. This bike is built for exactly that. My first test ride was yesterday. Booked it in less than an hour. Paid the money today morning. Brought her home. Was very lucky that the bike was available for immediate delivery. Manufactured in Feb 2017. Dealership is Headway Motors. A big shout out to Venu, Swamy, Hareesh and one more dude who made the entire process so awesome and comfortable.

Edit: Manufactured in Feb 2018

Last edited by bblost : 23rd March 2018 at 20:24.
bblost is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks