Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2018, 13:15   #826
Senior - BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Repeating again:
Please share pictures and where you got them from.
Sharing mine, if you dont mind .
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_6215.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-risers.jpg  

rakesh_r is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 00:45   #827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Repeating again:
Please share pictures and where you got them from.
I shall add the one showing close-up soon, currently travelling so see these are the ones that I have with me right now.
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20180825_103528.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20180825_104947.jpg  

Ketan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 10:25   #828
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Guys.

I have almost solved my issue with the seat.
  • The lowered angle of the handlebar.
  • The new seat cover.
  • A rider friend recommended I get some tight fitting underwear. . It works.
  • I am used to riding in a perfectly straight line. Now every few kilometers I simply zig zag the bike a little.

The Fego Float is currently being used by a friend of mine. He has Spondylosis and uses a scooter. He may end up buying it from me.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 10:44   #829
Team-BHP Support

A good review from overseas, this time from MotoGeo -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 14:02   #830
BHPian

Has anyone faced issues with steering ? 10 days ago, the bike started drifting slightly towards the right. It became very pronounced over the last couple of days. Balancing the bike in peak Bangalore traffic was quite hard. I thought it could be a bent fork. I went to Mehboob garage (nandidurg road) & the lead mechanic said that a worn out ball bearing in the steering rack could be the culprit.The bike is currently at the workshop. Since it is less than a year old (5000 kms), I am covered under the warranty.

Last edited by satishv1987 : 28th August 2018 at 14:03. Reason: Incomplete sentence
Old 2nd September 2018, 12:01   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
Has anyone faced issues with steering ? 10 days ago, the bike started drifting slightly towards the right. It became very pronounced over the last couple of days. Balancing the bike in peak Bangalore traffic was quite hard. I thought it could be a bent fork. I went to Mehboob garage (nandidurg road) & the lead mechanic said that a worn out ball bearing in the steering rack could be the culprit.The bike is currently at the workshop. Since it is less than a year old (5000 kms), I am covered under the warranty.
Some Himalayans faced 'T-stem' rusting due to the water seeping in through the gaps in the T-stem bolt. This caused problems with handling - similar to what you have described. You can get it checked once.
sdubey23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 11:27   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubey23 View Post
Some Himalayans faced 'T-stem' rusting due to the water seeping in through the gaps in the T-stem bolt. This caused problems with handling - similar to what you have described. You can get it checked once.
The mechanics at both Mehboob Garage and Technik motors (Indiranagar) said I could continue using the bike for the time being without any major issues. According to the SA, getting the T stem bolt replaced under warranty is a big ask as RE uses every tactic possible to avoid a free replacement and will approve one only if it is absolutely unavoidable.

Is it ok to ride the bike with a faulty bolt in the T stem? I face issues only at lower speeds in traffic. At highway speeds, the bike weighs up and handling is not really an issue.
Old 8th September 2018, 14:42   #833
BHPian

Quote:
The mechanics at both Mehboob Garage and Technik motors (Indiranagar) said I could continue using the bike for the time being without any major issues. According to the SA, getting the T stem bolt replaced under warranty is a big ask as RE uses every tactic possible to avoid a free replacement and will approve one only if it is absolutely unavoidable.

This is quite concerning to be honest. A faulty part is either fully faulty or not. Saying it's ok to use it for the time being is only brushing away the responsibility IMO. With each passing day, the warranty period is also reducing so I would recommend that you take it up with them for a replacement.
Not a apples to apples comparison, but I own a VW Polo - other owners will probably also tell you how difficult it is to get parts replaced under warranty. The SAs are generally hesitant, since the replacement parts need to be approved by guys sitting in Germany! Like really?! When I have had issues during the warranty period I always have insisted that they replace the parts and not repair it. We pay a premium for these vehicles for the quality and I would not be willing to compromise on it because of the service centers callousness.
AbhiIyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 17:04   #834
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Is it ok to ride the bike with a faulty bolt in the T stem?
How much does this cost?

Ask them to change under warranty. Else social media can be your friendly way to raise a lot of noise.

But if it costs very less maybe just getting the damn thing changed without the hassle is a simple way out.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 17:36   #835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But if it costs very less maybe just getting the damn thing changed without the hassle is a simple way out.
Its often the case with incorrect choices, they are simple

The part with labour shouldn稚 cost more than a grand. But If the company makes such halla with changing cheap parts, they値l probably throw a full on hissy fit when it comes to changing something not so cheap in future

Speaks volumes about the company. But, I知 guessing this has more to do with a crooked SA than the company policy. I recommend holding them by the scruff of their necks and get the needful done
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 18:19   #836
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

Speaks volumes about the company. But, I知 guessing this has more to do with a crooked SA than the company policy. I recommend holding them by the scruff of their necks and get the needful done
Completely Agree.

My point was more an inquiry into how much time and energy satishv1987 wants to invest in it.
Old 8th September 2018, 18:56   #837
BHPian

Quote:
I recommend holding them by the scruff of their necks and get the needful done
Couldn't agree more. It's time as customers we took a hard stand against what has now become the "norm" at the ASS's to brush off genuine customer issues.
AbhiIyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 08:29   #838
BHPian

Quote:
How much does this cost?

Ask them to change under warranty. Else social media can be your friendly way to raise a lot of noise.

The whole T stem unit will have to be changed and the not the faulty ball bearing alone. It will cost around Rs 2500.

Quote:
Its often the case with incorrect choices, they are simple

The part with labour shouldn稚 cost more than a grand. But If the company makes such halla with changing cheap parts, they値l probably throw a full on hissy fit when it comes to changing something not so cheap in future

Unlike other dealers,Mehboob Garage is quite reliable. The SAs are trustworthy and rarely recommend anything unnecessary. On a number of occasions, they have fixed minor issues for a very nominal charge . So when he tells me that getting the spares under warranty from RE will be a challenge, I know he is not making it up .

As a last ditch attempt,I am planning to check with the dealer from whom I purchased the bike. If he gives me a similar answer, I intend to take it up with RE directly.
satishv1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 10:00   #839
BHPian

Quote:
the lead mechanic said that a worn out ball bearing in the steering rack could be the culprit.The bike is currently at the workshop. Since it is less than a year old (5000 kms), I am covered under the warranty.
That sounds right. Don't worry, it's a small job. Get it fixed ASAP though.

Last edited by anilp : 9th September 2018 at 10:01.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 17:54   #840
BHPian

Quote:

Is it ok to ride the bike with a faulty bolt in the T stem? I face issues only at lower speeds in traffic. At highway speeds, the bike weighs up and handling is not really an issue.
Yes you can continue to use the bike. But a faulty t-stem could cause the other components like the tyre, bushes, bearings etc. to wear out prematurely. I'm not a qualified mechanic or an automobile expert. Maybe the experts in the forum can comment on this?

Moreover the T-stem rusting is a known issue in the Himalayan (Atleast in the BS3 models) and 90% of the BS3 bikes got a free replacement. Even a circular was issued to all service centers to replace the faulty t-stem and apply the anti-rust primer as well (There's an image somewhere in this thread I think). Don't go by the RE service centre folks advice. They are just ignorant and very good at procrastination. It is YOUR bike and you have to get things done. That's how it works with RE. Take to Twitter, FB and insist on speaking with the TSM (Territory service manager). RE is super concerned about maintaining their reputation on social media. Give them a nice shelling and they will start giving you respect you deserve as a customer. Don't hold back.
sdubey23 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed