Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2021, 07:33   #1396
Senior - BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Apologies in advance for a couple of noob queries:
  • Are there any significant changes to the 2021 Himalayan, compared to the 2020 model?
Few cosmetic changes as mentioned.
Interesting video on the lineage of the Himalayan.

ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 14:32   #1397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post
No, what I was asking around is, is there a way around the hard clutch?
I have been using the easy clutch for the last 4 years on Himalayan. It does solve the problem. Down side is, it makes clutch action a little bit slower but unless you want to op wheelies it is good.
ambarkhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 19:39   #1398

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarkhan View Post
I have been using the easy clutch for the last 4 years on Himalayan..
Have you been using the Easy Clutch Long or short version?
Old 8th June 2021, 08:41   #1399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMotoMods View Post
Have you been using the Easy Clutch Long or short version?
I am using the long cable one. But would recommend you to go for short version. Because in case the cable snaps you’ll be able to get it from any service center. Whereas you’ll need to get the long cable from the Prospec guys only
ambarkhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 16:59   #1400
BHPian

I am trying to source a battery for my 2016 BS3 model Himalayan, on line
But I find that it is not available for quite a while now.
I am from Chennai and does anyone know of any dealer who stocks*these. I am ok with any of the brands.
Fortunately until no it has been starting well. But I expect a 5+ year old battery to conk off any time
Old 13th June 2021, 12:20   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
I am trying to source a battery for my 2016 BS3 model Himalayan, on line
But I find that it is not available for quite a while now.
I am from Chennai and does anyone know of any dealer who stocks*these. I am ok with any of the brands.
Fortunately until no it has been starting well. But I expect a 5+ year old battery to conk off any time
You can check out Chitra Battery near Kathipara Flyover. 94442 15556
They are not open yet. But you can call them and ask them for the specific battery you are looking for.
Old 13th June 2021, 20:30   #1402
BHPian

Installed a rear tyre hugger.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20210613_194314.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20210613_194321_1.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20210613_194342.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20210613_194350.jpg

Gear Up Rear Mudguard Motorcycle Rear Mudguard Splash Guard for All Bikes.

Full disclosure, I have not ridden a single inch with this installed. I do not know how good it is and how it will hold over time, or safety risks, if any.

I do however know that it has been installed on two other Himalayans and thus, decided to install it on mine.

The mud splatter has always bothered the wife. Until now I hadn't found any universal tyre hugger.

I hadn't found any Himalayans with it installed as well, hence refrained all along. With the lockdown and the rabbit hole, that is the internet, I came across this and decided to go ahead.

Had to get rid of the saree guard before installing this.

Also, I recently acquired a basic toolkit which made this task quite easy to do.
STANLEY STMT72794-8 1/4'' Square Drive Metric Socket Set (46-Pieces).

EDIT: Found a video of the installation on YouTube afterwards:

Last edited by shyamg28 : 13th June 2021 at 20:39.
shyamg28 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 20:56   #1403
Team-BHP Support

My bike had been standing idle for almost 3 months. As expected the battery was so low that the headlight when ignition is turned was barely glowing.

Hooked up to my car using jumper cables and started the bike.
Took her for a 2-3 kilometer run. Stopped the bike. Realized it would not start again.

So redo the entire jumper cable game and this time let the bike idle for almost 20 mins and also rode for about 3 kilometers.

Then again checked the bike after 4 hours. Its battery had held the charge so I took it outside for a short 5-6 km spin.

I would just like to say. I HATE the battery placement even more. Trying to connect the jumper cables is so damn difficult because of how tightly placed the things are.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-55e2aa05b96948859040346105bd0750.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 14th June 2021 at 20:58.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 18:51   #1404
Senior - BHPian

To all the RE Himalayan owners out there - would you recommend the Himalayan to someone who is looking for a long distance tourer (invariably involving bad roads, twisties, et al) and not necessarily (recreational) off-road stuff? How does it compare to the recently launched RE Meteor 350, given the requirements cited above?

Thanks in advance...
Old 16th June 2021, 20:51   #1405
Team-BHP Support

I am quite happy touring on my Himalayan. But to be honest, I would prefer the significantly faster twins on the highways.

If ok with the higher price and lower milage of the twins, seriously consider them.
But between the Meteor and the Himalayan, the Himalayan wins hands down. Just get the touring seat on the day you buy the bike. The stock is absolute rubbish especially if the rider is on the heavier side.
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 21:21   #1406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To all the RE Himalayan owners out there - would you recommend the Himalayan to someone who is looking for a long distance tourer (invariably involving bad roads, twisties, et al) and not necessarily (recreational) off-road stuff? How does it compare to the recently launched RE Meteor 350, given the requirements cited above?

Thanks in advance...
Better than Meteor but not sufficiently powered for highway. I let go my Himalayan after 3 years and 10K plus kms of riding. I never used Himalayan in the city, used it for offroad, bad road and touring. Other than underpowered engine on long straight highways, its gem of a vehicle. on bad road, no road, offroad and trail rides, its awesome. Waiting for 650cc Himalayan...........
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 10:41   #1407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If ok with the higher price and lower milage of the twins, seriously consider them.
I've been eyeing the Interceptor 650 as well, but it seems to be an overkill for my requirements. I am a sedate driver/rider and rarely get to triple digit speeds on my cars, so the bike is unlikely to see those kind of speeds. My idea of touring is to enjoy the journey as opposed to munching miles, hence no need for speed. Cruising speeds of 80-90 km/h is what I am comfortable with, our ever-improving highways notwithstanding. Moreover, the stance provided by the Interceptor is more of a scrambler than that of a tourer, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Other than underpowered engine on long straight highways, its gem of a vehicle. on bad road, no road, offroad and trail rides, its awesome. Waiting for 650cc Himalayan...........
If your definition of underpowered is the inability to sustain triple digit speeds over long durations, then I am good with it What I don't want, though, is a bike struggling with overtake maneuvers at cruising speeds.

Also, I am not at all looking at recreational/intentional trail riding but would want the bike to be able to take bad roads to get to good destinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
But between the Meteor and the Himalayan, the Himalayan wins hands down
Quote:
Better than Meteor
Hmm. Now this is interesting, especially given that the Meteor (at least going by the reviews) is supposed to be the most refined RE ever produced, along with a good, low-end punch. Mind elaborating on your thoughts, please?

Of course, I plan to test ride all of the 3 bikes being discussed above, once lockdown dramas are done with.

Last edited by cool_dube : 17th June 2021 at 10:58.
Old 17th June 2021, 11:01   #1408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If your definition of underpowered is the inability to sustain triple digit speeds over long durations, then I am good with it What I don't want, though, is a bike struggling with overtake maneuvers at cruising speeds.

Also, I am not at all looking at recreational/intentional trail riding but would want the bike to be able to take bad roads to get to good destinations.

Hmm. Now this is interesting, especially given that the Meteor (at least going by the reviews) is supposed to be the most refined RE ever produced, along with a good, low-end punch. Mind elaborating on your thoughts, please?
Himalayan is good till 100 kmph but vibrations at these speeds induce fatigue. Its too good at bad roads, you will love it. i call it safari of bad roads, just stand on pegs and ride without worry.
I rode meteor, engine is very refined, thats it. If you are looking to tackle bad road you need suspension of Himalayan. i have heard that BS6 Himalayan's are smoother than older generations but no personal experience
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 13:22   #1409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i have heard that BS6 Himalayan's are smoother than older generations but no personal experience
So have I, from all the reviews around. Will test-ride it and decide. Thanks again, for your inputs
Old 17th June 2021, 13:26   #1410
BHPian

Quote:
If your definition of underpowered is the inability to sustain triple digit speeds over long durations, then I am good with it What I don't want, though, is a bike struggling with overtake maneuvers at cruising speeds...Also, I am not at all looking at recreational/intentional trail riding but would want the bike to be able to take bad roads to get to good destinations.
The Himalayan can cruise at 100, even 120 if you push it. But that doesn't seem like your requirement. However, when you say, it shouldn't struggle while overtaking, that it definitely does By which I mean, on a relative scale, it struggles.

It will simply eat bad roads, that much is guaranteed! If you are genuinely satisfied with 80-90kph cruising speeds, this is definitely THE bike to have. Ride comfort unmatched.

With the Interceptor however (or the KTM 390 ADV that can handle bad roads better), you may find yourself satisfied for a longer duration of time. Correct me if I'm wrong, your primary requirement seems to be touring, which implies a mix of good and bad roads. It is identical to my requirements too, addition being, importance towards pillion comfort. Both these are quite capable in that regard and I'll be honest, I've myself considered both as the next step towards upgrading my ride.
The itch to have more power bites a lot of us and if you are indeed one among that crop, might as well go for something that keeps you happy for longer.
shyamg28 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed