Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2021, 23:47   #1426
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks for the advance wishes, Neil. I have not made a booking yet, though. Interestingly, the waiting period is quoted as 4 months by the SA!

Has anyone here booked/taken delivery of a 2021 Himalayan recently? If so, what was the quoted/actual waiting period?
I booked Himalayan online on Apr 14th after taking a test drive from CVS Motors, Sadashivnagar. Initially, sales rep told me that waiting period was 4 months but was hopefull of delivering in 2.5 months.
However COVID lockdowns changed the scene, it seems RE factories in TN also were shutdown for a brief period, this has caused customer delays of 8 to 12 weeks for deliveriies. Now my delivery date has gone to Sept 2nd week. It seems there are quite a few cancellations these days, so hoping to get my Himalayan in August.

Last edited by gypsyFreak : 25th June 2021 at 23:48. Reason: typo
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 16:00   #1427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
You can also book a new one, and keep scouting for pre-owned ones. If you find a compelling deal, you can always cancel the booking and buy the pre-owned one.
Thanks, buddy. That's a good idea Now that I have made the booking, I will keep an eye out for a good pre-owned BS6 example. Although, I must admit that I have fallen for the Granite Black shade on the 2021 model

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
hoping to get my Himalayan in August.
Good luck! Which color did you choose?

Last edited by cool_dube : 26th June 2021 at 16:02.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 12:32   #1428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
It seems there are quite a few cancellations these days, so hoping to get my Himalayan in August.
This is true. I booked mine in the beginning of Feb and they said a waiting period of somewhere between 4-6 months. But when the second wave struck, apparently a lot of people cancelled the bookings and some wanted to push the purchase to a later date. As a result, I got a call within 2.5 months saying the bike is ready (in April end), this was right before the second wave lockdowns in the country. But since there was a lot of uncertainty during the time and more importantly knowing the fact that the brand new motorcycle would lie unused in the parking lot due to the expected lockdown, I decided to pass it on. Not really sure when I'm going to get a call next as the SA said, there are a few on the list before me and they would get the first preference unless they decide to pass it on again.
logicalidiot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 14:04   #1429
Senior - BHPian

A nice, to-the-point video made by a Himalayan owner in the United States. Reasons for its popularity are well articulated in the video.

Old 27th June 2021, 23:49   #1430
BHPian

So finally got the chance to take the bike out for a descent spin. The weather was perfect for riding, and lock-down rules lifted meant only one thing; take the bike and do what it's supposed to do. Did some mild off-roading and one such trail led to some beautiful locations. Bike has become smoother after the 1 year service. Bike's performing well as per my expectations, both on and off the roads. Hope the bike will continue to be a reliable companion and take me to such amazing places.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-inked2_li.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-1.jpeg

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 11:47   #1431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Good luck! Which color did you choose?

Opted for Gravel Grey. The test bike was of the same color and i liked it.
Anyways, do you stay in North Bangalore, was it Yelahanka RE showroom in your photos? Ypu stay nearby?
I stay in Byatarayanapura area, had been to Yelahanka show room, they did not have a test bike, so got one from Sadashivnagar and booked online.
Old 29th June 2021, 15:02   #1432
BHPian

ZANA GPS Mount

I had a mobile phone holder attached to the right side mirror. I found it a bit distracting to check maps since I had to turn my head (limited view from inside the helmet) towards the right and downwards slightly.

I decided to get this mount instead. Honestly, I feel it's too bulky and would've preferred something smaller attached to the front. However, it does look extremely sturdy.

What I did not like at all was the fact that they had sent small screws to bolt on the visor as well as the mount onto the front dome. I had to procure slightly longer sized screws to mount it. Small issue, but it did irritate me.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20210628_212031.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20210628_215943.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20210628_220003.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20210628_220009.jpg

I have attached a rubber cushion to the right and left top corners of the mount since I felt that the visor was bracing against it every time I went over a ditch/hump. It helped, looks ugly though.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20210629_115120.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20210629_115126_1.jpg

I did a short ride with it and it genuinely is a world of a difference.
It's not distracting and in fact makes it far more easier to glance at my phone and then back on the road.
shyamg28 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 15:12   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post

ZANA GPS Mount

I did a short ride with it and it genuinely is a world of a difference.
It's not distracting and in fact makes it far more easier to glance at my phone and then back on the road.
Just check for vibrations, although its a good location, I somehow feel the whole set up vibrates the phone little bit. A bit apprehensive on mounting my phone since the vibrations can screw up the sensor of the phone camera in the long run unless you have a dedicated phone just for navigation. Have read on this somewhere on tbhp, cant locate the thread though.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 15:32   #1434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Just check for vibrations, although its a good location, I somehow feel the whole set up vibrates the phone little bit. A bit apprehensive on mounting my phone since the vibrations can screw up the sensor of the phone camera in the long run unless you have a dedicated phone just for navigation. Have read on this somewhere on tbhp, cant locate the thread though.
Haha! I remember that thread too.

I've added some rubber cushion under the phone mount that's mounted on this thing. So far it seems ok. But what you say makes complete sense. Will be watchful.

Any alternatives available for Himalayan? I really feel moving the head to look at maps is dangerous and went for the only thing that I could find
Old 29th June 2021, 19:30   #1435
BHPian

Quote:
Haha! I remember that thread too.

I've added some rubber cushion under the phone mount that's mounted on this thing. So far it seems ok. But what you say makes complete sense. Will be watchful.

Any alternatives available for Himalayan? I really feel moving the head to look at maps is dangerous and went for the only thing that I could find
Here you go!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4985125 (Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review)

You can always use an alternate/beater phone to go on the GPS mount for directions, and not use your primary one. Even if you don't have one lying around, there are plenty of options in the pre owned market for as cheap as 3k-5k that'll do the job just fine.

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 20:07   #1436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Get the Tripper retrofitted on your Himalayan
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 20:31   #1437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post

Okay, so I use zana mount on my Himalayan. As you said that this vibrates a lot and it'll mess with the camera sensors. It has happened to me, and by luck I was able to fix it by bumping the phone, but don't count on it.
My suggestion would be, get a cheap beater android for around 5k. The usages will be immense. I use it for two purposes, managing my Spotify and Maps. I don't even need to pull out my main phone because of this.

My setup is something like this
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img20210629wa0016.jpg  

lancia_fanboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 15:15   #1438
BHPian

I am thinking of changing the stock mirrors. Have seen people using Avenger and KTM Duke mirrors, and the RE touring mirrors.

I was wondering which ones should I go with. Any suggestions?
Old 30th June 2021, 15:38   #1439
Senior - BHPian

Here is a review of the Himalayan from another round-the-world motorcyclist last year!

He sums it up quite well, as below:

Quote:
In my opinion, a new Royal Enfield Himalayan is the best value round-the-world capable motorcycle on the market today. You don’t even have to take my slightly biased word for it – simply look at how the big brands are reacting to this hugely popular mid-weight upstart with their own models. They are realising that a lot of people out there have neither the money, the need, nor the desire to own a half-ton house on two wheels. Making adventure accessible to more people is perhaps the Himalayan’s most important legacy, even more than the complete revitalisation of the Enfield brand. Long may it continue.

Last edited by cool_dube : 30th June 2021 at 15:58.
cool_dube is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 20:27   #1440
BHPian

In an attempt to make my bike look even more ugly (or purposeful if you want to call it that), I went ahead and got the RE hand guards!

I've been trying to source them for a while. The service centers also did not have them.
Finally got them from here - https://customiseride.com/

I've had both my levers break off or bend in standstill falls

Barkbusters would've been ideal but the visor fouls with them for me even with it set in the tallest position.

These are quite sturdy to be honest. It's got a metal rod running through which doesn't seem intuitive to understand when you see the guards by themselves.

The gap between the visor and these hand guards seems around a couple of millimetres. It's too precise for my liking.
There are also 2 hard-plastic bar ends provided that are also longer, which would widen the gap between the visor and guards even further but I've seen reviews of them being mentioned as causing too much vibration. So I decided to leave the original metal bar ends.
Couple of long screws are also provided to cater to the extra width of the plastic bar ends.

Hopefully they will never be tested

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20210707_142841630.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20210707_142806431.portrait.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20210707_142756116.portrait.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20210707_142733381.portrait.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20210707_142701521.portrait.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20210707_142624369.portrait.jpg
shyamg28 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed