Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2021, 06:26   #1441
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
In an attempt to make my bike look even more ugly (or purposeful if you want to call it that), I went ahead and got the RE hand guards!
What a coincidence! I also installed them yesterday after evaluating a lot of different options. I hesitated for a long time because they look so ugly.
cataclysm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 20:07   #1442
BHPian

Out of the blue, Royal Enfield decides to increase the price of all their models. Wasn't expecting RE to increase the prices for Himalayan this soon considering it was launched only in February. They've increased the price by approx. 4.5k.

The increase isn't much unless you're from Kerala. All these while, Himalayan was being sold for less than 2 lakhs ex-showroom (other than Pine Green/Granite Black) in Kerala but now as a result of the price increase, the ex-showroom rate is a little over 2 lakhs. As the two-wheelers costing above 2 lakhs have a higher road tax rate in Kerala. This translates to an on-road increase in price of freaking 25k!

What hurts me most is that the Showroom where I made the booking called me to take the delivery only yesterday, about 3-4 days after the price increase. Planning to cancel the booking now!
logicalidiot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 22:37   #1443
BHPian

With Covid receding, at least seems so for the moment, weekend rides have resumed. In these times, whenever my wife and I hit the roads, we make sure we're going to a place where we'll have less-no crowd. So rode to Thirukazhukundram, a temple around 50ish Km from our house. Weather was surprisingly wonderful over the weekend. Very less crowd on the road early morning along with cool breeze and slight drizzle. Had wonderful tarmac for 30kms and was able to maintain 90kmph with ease. Visited a view point and did some mild off-roading while returning home. The roads were bad for almost 5kms and the bike was gliding on such bad terrains. The bike's delivering exactly what I expected. So I'm loving every moment on the bike and having no regrets selling my Meteor. Some pics for now.

Link to view point

https://goo.gl/maps/mEoXPQQ2JQBdMzjw6

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-1.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-2.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-3.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-4.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-5.jpg

Thank you for viewing

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 16:35   #1444
Senior - BHPian

Cone-set issue on the Himalayan

Another query to all Himalayan owners: how prevalent are cone-set issues in the Himalayan? The vlogger in the video below opines that this is a common issue with the Himalayan and goes on to hint that RE could have used better quality parts to avoid it. Thoughts?

Last edited by cool_dube : 15th July 2021 at 16:39.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 19:40   #1445
BHPian

Re: Cone-set issue on the Himalayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Another query to all Himalayan owners: how prevalent are cone-set issues in the Himalayan? The vlogger in the video below opines that this is a common issue with the Himalayan and goes on to hint that RE could have used better quality parts to avoid it. Thoughts?
The cone set issue is quite common among the Himalayans. Quite a lot of my Chennai Himalayan buddies have replaced the cone set.

Even on my motorcycle, the handlebar makes a weird squeaky noise when turned from lock to lock. I haven't really noticed any issues while riding though. I kept complaining about the noise at every service, however they just greased the cone set and returned the bike. The first service I do after warranty is over - they recommend changing the cone set!!

I feel it is better to get an after market bearing like the Youtuber mentions. Why would I want to go through the ordeal again after changing it at the service center!?
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 21:11   #1446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I feel it is better to get an after market bearing like the Youtuber mentions.
Thanks! So, it is indeed a known issue. Wonder why RE has not been able to resolve it despite the bike having undergone 4 iterations!!
Old 15th July 2021, 21:13   #1447
BHPian

Quote:
The issue is very common, even in BS6, but thankfully can be fixed. Many Chennai Himalayan owners I know have put the rubber cone mounts from Art of Motorcycles as shown in the video. Some have even traveled from Chennai to Art of Motorcycles in Bangalore just to get their cone-set fixed and attach the rubber mounts. Nowadays the rubber mounts are also available in after market shops too. So yeah, though it's a frequently occurring problem, it's solvable and that should give a piece of mind.

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 22:18   #1448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
So yeah, though it's a frequently occurring problem, it's solvable and that should give a piece of mind
Thanks! However, I'm not very happy about the fact that despite this issue being prevalent for years now - and the fix being as simple as what it is (just a matter of using a part of better design/quality) - RE has been callous enough to not do anything about it! Why should one buy a product with a known issue and get it addressed at an independent garage at one's own cost while the manufacturer, boasting of a 100+ year legacy, is busy jacking up the prices instead of fixing a known issue?

Sorry about the rant but this is sheer ignorance on RE's part.
Old 16th July 2021, 07:22   #1449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
RE has been callous enough to not do anything about it! Why should one buy a product with a known issue and get it addressed at an independent garage at one's own cost while the manufacturer, boasting of a 100+ year legacy, is busy jacking up the prices instead of fixing a known issue?

Sorry about the rant but this is sheer ignorance on RE's part.
Said every person who has ever bought an RE in his life in the last century.

You don't even want to find out about the frames breaking fiasco on the Himalayan. Or the pegs
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 09:47   #1450
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
How about water flow when you visited there? Is it worth visiting this weekend?
Old 16th July 2021, 11:06   #1451
BHPian

Quote:
Another query to all Himalayan owners: how prevalent are cone-set issues in the Himalayan?
I would say every 15k kms. I got it changed at first around 17k and now around 31k.
It's an irritant. In stop-go traffic scenarios when I needed to turn my bike, it would resist quite noticeably.
At higher speeds it's ok since you generally move with slight tilts but at lower speeds, since you need to move the handle, it's quite frustrating.
It's the difference between accidentally bumping into a car's mirrors and, well, not bumping into them. I'm not exaggerating.

I've considered the Art Of Motorcycles fix myself but it's the other side of town for me. Just a matter of time before I actually get around to it.

There's a lot wrong with the Himalayan, for that matter, a lot of products that are out there and it baffles us as consumers as to why such simple things are overlooked.
But one thing I honestly feel is that these minor issues affect us more in the head than they should.

It's a wonderful bike that has allowed me to attempt exploring more than I thought I could

Last edited by shyamg28 : 16th July 2021 at 11:10.
shyamg28 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 13:06   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
You don't even want to find out about the frames breaking fiasco on the Himalayan. Or the pegs
I thought those were things of the past and no longer a bother with BS6-onwards models. Is that not so?

Anyways, I have decided to test-ride the G 310 GS as well, just to get a feel of a non-RE bike Let's see how that goes.

Quote:
It's an irritant. In stop-go traffic scenarios when I needed to turn my bike, it would resist quite noticeably. At higher speeds it's ok since you generally move with slight tilts but at lower speeds, since you need to move the handle, it's quite frustrating.
I'd say that's more than an irritant. A handlebar that does not move freely could be a safety hazard as well.

Quote:
It's a wonderful bike that has allowed me to attempt exploring more than I thought I could
No doubt it is! And I am not expecting a "perfect" bike anyways, since one does not exist. It is just that a glaring issue as this should have been fixed by RE by now.

Is anyone specifically aware of this issue being faced in a 2021 model as well?
Old 16th July 2021, 13:22   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would say every 15k kms. I got it changed at first around 17k and now around 31k.
This issue depends on usage, I used my bike on weekend dirt trails, offroad and lot of broken road riding and i had to change it every 5-6K kms.
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 14:18   #1454
BHPian

Quote:
I'd say that's more than an irritant. A handlebar that does not move freely could be a safety hazard as well.
Ok let me clarify. I noticed it early on and delayed getting it changed.
I should've been more proactive about changing it. It's not an issue that crops suddenly from nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
This issue depends on usage, I used my bike on weekend dirt trails, offroad and lot of broken road riding and i had to change it every 5-6K kms.
Right! I should've clarified that the distance/time between changing is dependent on individual's usage. More off-roading translates to shorter intervals.
For myself, I only do tarmac riding, hence, 15k kms.

Last edited by shyamg28 : 16th July 2021 at 14:20.
Old 16th July 2021, 16:41   #1455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
How about water flow when you visited there? Is it worth visiting this weekend?
There's no water flow now, but the lake was almost full. If you're going with family, I suggest you pack lunch/food and have it near the lake somewhere. There's nothing more than 10-15 mins to see there.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks