Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2021, 21:35   #1471
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

The Himalayan continues to explore local getaways! Raring to go on a long ride!
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-psx_20210912_103627.jpg  

Geo_Ipe is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 17:48   #1472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidrow View Post
Would a Powertronic EFI and/or a big bore kit like the Hitchcock 462 CC and/or a less limiting (or better tuned) exhaust help?

What's been the experience with these? I remember ItchyBoots fitted a powertronic in the Middle East but wasn't sure if the experiment was completely satisfactory.
Bumping up this post since I too had same question. I couldn't find much responses.

Can anyone please comment if it is worth the cost (around Rs. 70k -80k) and effort to purchase it rather than wait for an unknown period of time for a more powerful model?

Will fixing this kit really have appreciable improvement in terms of power?

Please share your thoughts.
rich_heart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 18:05   #1473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
Bumping up this post since I too had same question. I couldn't find much responses.

Can anyone please comment if it is worth the cost (around Rs. 70k -80k) and effort to purchase it rather than wait for an unknown period of time for a more powerful model?

I have no expertise to say this for sure, but from what I've seen and read, you won't get all that much from doing these modifications. If the Himalayan isn't fast enough for you right out of the showroom, nothing you can do will make it fast enough. You'll see a few youtubers making these changes and saying that they feel the bike becomes more brisk etc. but even they speak in such a tentative way about the improvement, almost as if they're not sure themselves, that the felt increase in acceleration/speed seems like placebo. I think the bike's just fine, cruises at 100 without a sweat with just enough left to do overtakes, and torquey enough for whatever terrain you throw at it.

This may be a slightly contrarian opinion, but I think a twin cylinder 650 Himalayan is overkill and unrealistic. It'll become way too heavy and complicated and expensive, without the wherewithal to compete with middleweight ADV bikes like the Tenere. Himalayans sell well abroad because plenty of people want a simple thumper they can service and maintain on their own and is light enough and capable enough and cheap enough to not mind roughing up. They sell decently in India because they're cheap, relatively speaking. A bigger one would have none of those virtues. RE might still do it, and if it ends up being good it'll definitely mean they've ascended to new, higher level of technical prowess. I just don't see that happening very soon.
karanddd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 22:39   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post

Not a user of Powertronic ECU, but have been following this channel in which the guy has done lots of mods on his Himalayan. Incidentally, he dropped the 30k review of his Powertronic ECU. So just thought of dropping it here, in case you already haven't watched the vid.

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 10:13   #1475
BHPian

Thanks for your comments, @gandalfthegrey and @karanddd.

My main intent is to have a higher top end speed at a comfortable rpm for the machine to munch more miles quickly when required. I am well aware that higher cc doesn't necessarily mean higher power.

I am also aware that the Himalayan currently weighs around 180kgs. There is no point in wishing for the twin to be plonked in it. It is not practical in terms of manufacturing or riding.

I could only wish for RE somehow create a high performance engine to fit to Himalayan chassis and be a true alrounder

Or, if it is worthwhile, is it better to go for such aftermarket solution to increase cc and power.

I felt the Meteor engine feels very much refined when compared to the Himalayan. If RE takes care of this, that could also be an improvement to look forward.
rich_heart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 20:47   #1476
BHPian

Hello everyone, I am looking for a new bike for my touring purpose and I have narrowed down to RE himalayan and KTM adv 250. How is the new bs6 himalayan in terms of quality and niggle and is there a way to convert the tyres to tubeless?
Old 18th October 2021, 23:36   #1477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston_head View Post
Hello everyone, I am looking for a new bike for my touring purpose and I have narrowed down to RE himalayan and KTM adv 250. How is the new bs6 himalayan in terms of quality and niggle and is there a way to convert the tyres to tubeless?
Being an ex-Himalayan owner, I can confidently say the current crop of vehicles have come a long way, and petty issues duly noted by the manufacturer and corrected. KTM and REs are kinda same kitty in the same party. You can't get parts for both motorcycles elsewhere when you require it the most, you have to tread to the nearest SVC to procure one, doable.

I don't want to beat a dead horse on both of their reliability and ownership metrics, as they are documented both in video and text aplenty here in our and other dedicated platforms. Would recommend you to peruse when you have the time.

Would like add my personal stars (On a scale of 10) if that'd suffice you to narrow the choice.

Himalayan:

Practicality 6.5
Tractability 5.8
Reliability 6
Fuel Efficiency 5.5
Off roading and capability 7.4 (Weight being a peeg)
Features 7.2
Engine 6.4
Wheels 5
Stability 8
Road presence 7
Rider and Pillion comfort 8.5
Overall buy precedence 7

Duke 250

Practicality 8
Tractability 8
Reliability 7.5
Fuel Efficiency 6.5
Off roading and capability 8
Features 8
Engine 7.7
Wheels 8
Stability 7.7
Road presence 8.5
Rider and Pillion comfort 7 (subjective)
Overall buy precedence 9

Hopefully, it helps.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 13:40   #1478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston_head View Post
If most of your touring involves roads, pick the ktm. If it'll be a good mix of road and offroad, pick the RE
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 19:31   #1479
BHPian

Wife and I went to Hampi again. This time part of an assignment for her to shoot some stuff for a resort, named Hampi's Boulders. Quite beautiful.
Nestled very much in the midst of nature. Minimal construction and well integrated with the existing land. Nature conscious too with everything that they use, for e.g., only glass bottles, no plastic anywhere.

It smashed rain ALL the way. Some newfound confidence allowed us to just keep riding without any halts. I didn't even bother to wear rain gear for most of it.

Here are some pictures. Less of the Himalayan and more of other stuff.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20211119_093158289.jpg
After Chitradurga, towards Hampi on the expressway.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-psx_20211121_225141.jpg
Our stay, called as Rock Cottage, very much from the Flintstones-esque. Inside is very much a normal room.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-psx_20211121_225907.jpg
Not a mirror image, but an actual Willys taking us on a safari. Didn't spot anything unfortunately.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20211120_053954575.jpg
Mahindra 4*4 this one.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20211120_055949766.jpg
Again, the Mahindra 4*4.
Was quite a ridiculous experience when he suddenly took a turn towards a rocky hill, from a well paved path.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20211121_013821464.jpg
Rock swimming pool, basically fresh water,
on a pool that's mostly just integrated with naturally existing rock formations underneath.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20211121_014158402.jpg
All 33 gates of the Tungabadhra were open, hence,
the river was just in full flow. Which also meant,
spotting crocodiles and otters would become a challenge.
The funny thing is, this view is from one of the cottages there.
So essentially when the water level is low,
they come out to sunbathe on the nearby rocks.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20211121_072252523.jpg
Some 5-6kms from the stay, hiked a Hanuman temple hill and this was the view. The stay is actually visible in entirety from here.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20211121_083718401.jpg
Background is their dining hall, foreground is a 400cc motorcycle that makes 24bhp
shyamg28 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 13:35   #1480
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My Himalayan has been sitting at my sisters home in Hyderabad for about 3-4 months now. I had the last service done in June - July 2021 and then rode it around the city for 100 kilometers or so and it has been parked there since then. I had disconnected the battery before I left so hopefully it should still fire up fine

I had a question regarding the engine oil

In my last service done in June - July 2021, I had the engine oil changed as I was anticipating that I would restart long distance riding again. However, due to some unforeseen circumstances, I had to come back to my home in Gujarat. I am going back to Hyderabad next week and then am planning on riding down to Gokarna the week after and then from Gokarna to Goa and then back to Hyderabad.

My question is; should I change my engine oil yet again keeping in mind it was changed just 4 months ago (but then the bike was unused) or should I just fire up the bike, oil the chain and ride away.

Its not about the money - I wouldnt like fresh engine oil to be wasted at such a time when we have to be very careful about using our natural resources wisely. However, at the same time the small voice in the back of my head is saying - I should change the oil so I dont have any problems on my upcoming 2000 kilometer bike ride which I am doing solo.

What do you guys suggest I should do?
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 16:33   #1481
BHPian

I have been of the belief that it's better to change the oil within 6 months. I also had the same problem during the first lock down.
Honestly the bike won't give you much pain, but in my case, upon the oil change it was clear that the oil had gone stale (Not sure what other word would make more sense) and it was nice that I got it changed.
lancia_fanboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 16:37   #1482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
In my last service done in June - July 2021, I had the engine oil changed as I was anticipating that I would restart long distance riding again. However, due to some unforeseen circumstances, I had to come back to my home in Gujarat. I am going back to Hyderabad next week and then am planning on riding down to Gokarna the week after and then from Gokarna to Goa and then back to Hyderabad.

My question is; should I change my engine oil yet again keeping in mind it was changed just 4 months ago (but then the bike was unused) or should I just fire up the bike, oil the chain and ride away.
I would just check the air pressure, use the bike for pottering around town for a day (or two) to ensure that everything is working fine, and then ride out to Gokarna.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 23:16   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancia_fanboy View Post
I have been of the belief that it's better to change the oil within 6 months. I also had the same problem during the first lock down.
Honestly the bike won't give you much pain, but in my case, upon the oil change it was clear that the oil had gone stale (Not sure what other word would make more sense) and it was nice that I got it changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I would just check the air pressure, use the bike for pottering around town for a day (or two) to ensure that everything is working fine, and then ride out to Gokarna.
Thank you so much Lancia_fanboy and Neil

I used it in and around Hyderabad for a couple of days. Everything looks good in the engine department. I do have one minor problem though; when i reconnected the battery the gear position indicator stopped working. Doesnt bother me as i ride and shift gears by muscle memory (and engine noise ) but still a pretty weird problem to have. Everything else works fine. Looking forward to riding the motorcycle over the next 2 weeks

Thanks once again. Glad i didnt let the engine oil go to waste
rahul4321 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 09:31   #1484
BHPian

Hey Guys

So I saw this video on hypermiling in bikes -

In the aforementioned video it is mentioned at [2:30] about Deceleration Fuel Cutoff in EFI bikes.
That got me wondering, does Himalayan also comes with this program, wasn't able to find any info about this in the manual (Granted that I did a quick look-through and not a deep dive).
lancia_fanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 19:25   #1485
BHPian

Have done about 900 kilometers so far. Hyderabad- Hubbali - Gokarna - Goa and loving it. The Himalayan is just so supple and rock solid that it gives the rider a sense of calm. The road from Karwar to North Goa was horrible after entering into Goa. Huge potholes, broken winding roads, truck ripples on curves and crumbling tarmac. The Himalayan took everything in its stride. The monshock at the rear is beyond appreciation while the front suspension absorbs the hardest undulations on the road ensuring that nothing is transferred onto the hands.

One area of concern is still the long braking distance but i have accepted it and have come to terms that unlike my other bike the D390, where i aim to stop before i hit the obstacle, on the Himalayan, i just aim to avoid the obstacle as I know it wont stop in time. That one time where the braking distance is just too short, i will have to jump off the bike which i have conditioned my mind to understand and accept

But overall, a fantastic motorcycle with linear acceleration, wonderful manners, predictable behaviour and beautiful torque curve matched by a brilliant chassis which holds itself on long winding curves without losing composure
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-20211221_104936.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-20211219_125952.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-20211219_130001.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-20211222_110657.jpg  

Last edited by rahul4321 : 23rd December 2021 at 19:48. Reason: Addition
rahul4321 is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks