Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2021, 20:04   #1486
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Hi folks. I want to change the brake and clutch levers on my Himalayan to adjustable ones. Didnt find anything on this forum. All I have seen online are those moxi ones. However, I consider control related changes very seriously and would not want to go for potentially unreliable parts.

Cheers
Old 29th December 2021, 22:02   #1487
BHPian

Need to replace tyres for me motorcycle.

Only considering sub 10k INR options for both front and rear, in addition to them being road biased.

Anyone have reviews/preferences that they can share?

I believe my options are the only ones below, in priority (all tube type).

1. MRF Mogrip Meteor - https://www.tyreplex.com/mrf-tyres/m...ayan-bs6?amp=1

I have enjoyed these, which have also lasted 20k odd kms.

Name:  SmartSelect_20211229214617_Chrome.jpg
Views: 1517
Size:  71.2 KB

2. CEAT Gripp XL - https://www.tyreplex.com/ceat-tyres/...?appointment=1

Personally, I didn't enjoy the CEAT tyres which I'm led to believe, primarily work well off road.

Name:  SmartSelect_20211229214951_Chrome.jpg
Views: 1515
Size:  98.0 KB

3. Apollo Actigrip - https://www.tyreplex.com/apollo-tyre...?appointment=1

Apollo Actigrip, no clue about them, but willing to give them a shot.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-smartselect_20211229215020_chrome.jpg
shyamg28 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 22:39   #1488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
Hi folks. I want to change the brake and clutch levers on my Himalayan to adjustable ones. Didnt find anything on this forum. All I have seen online are those moxi ones. However, I consider control related changes very seriously and would not want to go for potentially unreliable parts.

Cheers
A company in the UK called TecBikeParts sells adjustable levers for the Himalayan.

Link to Adjustable Levers for Himalayan

Under their FAQ section TecBikeParts has Speed Monks Performance Centre in Gurugram, Haryana listed as their official distributor for India so I would contact them for RE Himalayan Adjustable levers.

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 29th December 2021 at 22:42.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 12:13   #1489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
A company in the UK called TecBikeParts sells adjustable levers for the Himalayan.

Link to Adjustable Levers for Himalayan

Under their FAQ section TecBikeParts has Speed Monks Performance Centre in Gurugram, Haryana listed as their official distributor for India so I would contact them for RE Himalayan Adjustable levers.
Thanks for this. I found a listing of these levers on an ecomm store called seven and had reached out to them. Will ask speedmonks too. Cheers.
naturaldisaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 19:40   #1490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
3. Apollo Actigrip - https://www.tyreplex.com/apollo-tyre...?appointment=1

Apollo Actigrip, no clue about them, but willing to give them a shot.

Attachment 2251582
Out of curiosity, I went ahead and got the Apollo tyres.
Rear - Actigrip R6 120/90 17.
Front - Actigrip F6 90/90 21.

Paid a total of 6k including fitment. Even if it lasts only 8-10k kms, I think it's worth trying it out.
shyamg28 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 16:07   #1491
BHPian

I went on a solo ride to Chikmagalur in the last week of December. The Bangalore-Hassan highway is such a pleasure to ride on. No point in pushing the bike beyond certain speeds. The Himalayan is in its zone between 110-120 kph.

I inadvertently did some off-roading on my way to Mullyangiri peak. There is a lovely lake named Hirekolale ,around 25 kms from Chikmagalur town. After visiting the lake, I wanted to ride to Mullyangiri. With no maps (due to lack of network coverage), I had to rely on directions from locals to make my way to Mullyangiri peak from Hirekolale. I ended up on a route which looked nothing like a road. It felt more like a slightly wider hiking. track. Steep and lot of mud+stones. While the Ceat tyres perform poorly on the tarmac under hard braking, the grip the tyres offered off road was phenomenal. At no point did I feel not in control. Standing on the foot pegs is so effortless on the Himalayan.

Covering this tough route has given me the confidence to do a lot more off-roading.
satishv1987 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 17:55   #1492
BHPian

Quote:
Out of curiosity, I went ahead and got the Apollo tyres.
Rear - Actigrip R6 120/90 17.
Front - Actigrip F6 90/90 21.

Paid a total of 6k including fitment. Even if it lasts only 8-10k kms, I think it's worth trying it out.
Interesting choice after using up Mogrip Meteor completely. I felt MRF tyres are the best among the three available options. At 7k kms, my stock tyres are looking at replacement in another 2-3k kms. I might go for MRF ones. the only other option I'm considering is Timsun TS-822/TS-712 because they're tubeless but at 14k a pair, they are quite expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
I went on a solo ride to Chikmagalur in the last week of December. The Bangalore-Hassan highway is such a pleasure to ride on. No point in pushing the bike beyond certain speeds. The Himalayan is in its zone between 110-120 kph.

I inadvertently did some off-roading on my way to Mullyangiri peak. There is a lovely lake named Hirekolale ,around 25 kms from Chikmagalur town. After visiting the lake, I wanted to ride to Mullyangiri. With no maps (due to lack of network coverage), I had to rely on directions from locals to make my way to Mullyangiri peak from Hirekolale. I ended up on a route which looked nothing like a road. It felt more like a slightly wider hiking. track. Steep and lot of mud+stones. While the Ceat tyres perform poorly on the tarmac under hard braking, the grip the tyres offered off road was phenomenal. At no point did I feel not in control. Standing on the foot pegs is so effortless on the Himalayan.

Covering this tough route has given me the confidence to do a lot more off-roading.
Awesome. I remember sometime in 2015 when I ended up in a similar position while going from Mullayyanagiri to Kemmannugundi. Google kept asking me to go back to Chikmagaluru town and take the highway, but we followed a few age-old boards and ended up doing quite a challenging trail of 10 km+ on our classic 350s through Bhadra Forest Reserve.

Please do share some pics of the trail/lake, if you have. Chikmagaluru is full of such trails. It is a paradise if you're looking for offroad trails. Especially since I got the Himalayan, its been quite a job explaining to my family why I keep going back to Chikmagaluru

I also liked how Ceat tyres behave on the trails and on-road I felt they're decent. Hope MRF will be an upgrade in comparison. And, like you rightly said, it's fun to stand and ride on a Himalayan! Also, I download the offline maps for the places I'm riding to. That way, I'll always have Google directions, albeit without current traffic.
LazyGunner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 17:31   #1493
BHPian

So the light in my speedometer portion of the console had started flickering randomly (or maybe after some misjudged Bangalorean potholes) which later went off completely. After 3 months of waiting for the correct part to arrive, finally got it changed under warranty.

Is it usual that the odo is reset to 0?

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img_20220201_171606711.jpg

Also, notice the new meter console doesn't have a compass and that portion is now dedicated for the gear position indicator.
DesertLynx34 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 07:11   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
Interesting choice after using up Mogrip Meteor completely. I felt MRF tyres are the best among the three available options.

Hope MRF will be an upgrade in comparison. And, like you rightly said, it's fun to stand and ride on a Himalayan! .
I changed to MRF more than a year back and as soon as I rolled off the shop I could feel the difference in grip levels and braking performance... I am sure you would not be disappointed. But I have not done any off road riding after changing.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 07:39   #1495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLynx34 View Post
Yes.
It also depends on how Royal Enfield have designed the electrical and electronics on the Himalayan. If the odometer reading is stored locally (and not on the ecu) on the meter console, a little re programming will be required to get it to display the last reading. You'll need to run it by the dealer to correct this. They will likely hesitate but if you explain the issue to them, they should do it for you.

That's an unusually long wait time to replace the console, considering this model sells in good numbers.

Quote:
One of my major gripes with the Himalayan is the spoked tubed wheel and the cumbersome process of fixing a puncture.
I would not stress so much about tube or getting a flat. Keep in mind that if you do have a flat with a tube tire, its easy to pull the tube out from the rim post deflation. As long as its not a valve getting ripped apart (due to under inflation), you can take the tube out, find the leak and fix a puncture patch.

In addition to the Motul product you bought, carry a spare tube when you go for long road trips. You will need a compact foot pump or a device that can inflate your tyre.

Correct tire inflation, good tire and tube condition means your unlikely to ever have a flat with a tube tire.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 2nd February 2022 at 07:54.
sandeepmohan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 09:31   #1496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, notice the new meter console doesn't have a compass and that portion is now dedicated for the gear position indicator.
That's a bummer for me but probably not a lot of folks will miss it. Came in quite handy in unknown locations through remote roads where I just knew that maintaining a northern heading will lead me to the main road and it did.
But there are other ways to take care of that.

Enjoy your rides
Old 2nd February 2022, 12:00   #1497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
That's an unusually long wait time to replace the console, considering this model sells in good numbers.
Parts availability is generally an issue these days. But mine being a BS6 model, the one before the tripper update, there was even more confusion with the correct part numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
That's a bummer for me but probably not a lot of folks will miss it. Came in quite handy in unknown locations through remote roads where I just knew that maintaining a northern heading will lead me to the main road and it did.
Yup, I've done the same on atleast a couple of occasions where I followed the direction on the compass to join a main road where I could find some boards. It isn't indispensable but I don't get why they couldn't leave it the way it was.
DesertLynx34 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 12:49   #1498
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, the Odo reading is locally stored within the speedometer. None of the 2W brands I've worked with till now display the ECU's odo reading.
AlQuazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 14:01   #1499
BHPian

The Australians who wish to rent or buy himalayans to tour the Himalayas will love the bikes. just tell them to buy/rent from as close to the hills as possible so the highway stretches don't put them to sleep. The highway speeds absolutely crap and may be thats why the Scram is coming- hope fully with some larger numbers in the top end.

As regards the cone set- the company people started to get it done if you complained about it vociferously enough. If they don't help you, find Siddharth Pathak from Bangalore on FB and he has a detailed solution, what parts, from where etc and get his procedure done on your bike, end the story.

I cannot understand this wait listing for 4 and 6 months nonsense- if you talk properly to any good dealer, they will find a way and get you a bike in under a week. Just dont be vocal about it. Keep it quiet. RE can be quite fussy and like to boss/Lord over their dealers really bad.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 10:57   #1500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
Thank you so much Lancia_fanboy and Neil

I used it in and around Hyderabad for a couple of days. Everything looks good in the engine department. I do have one minor problem though; when i reconnected the battery the gear position indicator stopped working. Doesnt bother me as i ride and shift gears by muscle memory (and engine noise ) but still a pretty weird problem to have. Everything else works fine. Looking forward to riding the motorcycle over the next 2 weeks

Thanks once again. Glad i didnt let the engine oil go to waste

In true Royal Enfield fashion, the problem disappeared on its own and the gear indicator has started working again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks