Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2022, 19:14   #1501
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Did a 1300 kilometers solo ride from Hyderabad to Ahmedabad. Bike performed flawlessly as usual. Kept the speedo between 90 and 100 for most of the journey and the motorcycle kept on munching miles.

I didn't take a lot of pictures as my mobile phone was mounted behind the windscreen visor for looking at directions

Started from Hyderabad. First night stop Pune. Second night stop Vapi. Third night stop at home in Ahmedabad.

Just as i exited Hyderabad, i ran into two other Telengana based Himalayan riders who were on a tour to Gujarat and Rajathan. We rode together in formation uptill Pune and then diverted to our personal destinations.

In Pune, i met up with some friends for lunch.

I took a picture of how the dashboard was lit up when i arrived at my hotel in Vapi.
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-20220228_115036.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-20220227_122151.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-20220227_122052.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img20220226wa0011.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img20220226wa0000.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-20220225_095014.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img20220228wa0004.jpg  

Last edited by rahul4321 : 28th February 2022 at 19:20.
rahul4321 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 19:54   #1502
BHPian

I need some advice. My Himalayan is jerking in low rpms in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear just as i upshift into those gears. The feeling is very similar to when fuel starvation used to set in in motorcycle where the main tank was empty and it was time to utilize the reserve.

What could be the issue? Fuel pump starting to go bad? Clutch plate not disengaging properly (but why arent 1st and 2nd gear affected then). The bike is hardly 12000 kilometers old

Also an update: got external fuel tanks fitted for some trips which I am preparing for
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img20220312wa0006.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img20220312wa0007.jpg  

Last edited by rahul4321 : 12th March 2022 at 20:02.
rahul4321 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 21:40   #1503
BHPian

Clean fuel tank and check fuel pump, poor fuel quality can be the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
What could be the issue? Fuel pump starting to go bad? Clutch plate not disengaging properly (but why arent 1st and 2nd gear affected then). The bike is hardly 12000 kilometers old

Also an update: got external fuel tanks fitted for some trips which I am preparing for
setuniket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 07:48   #1504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
I need some advice. My Himalayan is jerking in low rpms in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear just as i upshift into those gears. The feeling is very similar to when fuel starvation used to set in in motorcycle where the main tank was empty and it was time to utilize the reserve.
Check fuel tank for dirt and debris. The fuel pump has a filter inside, maybe that’s clogged up too. Assuming yours is a BS4, throughly check the EVAP circuit, the evap canister might be chocked or the rubber hose mite be pinched or bent, or the purge valve is faulty.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 00:09   #1505
BHPian

Gentle nudge on the LS410 based Himalayan thread lol

Wife & I wanted to run in our new KTM and had decided this route - Bengaluru to Coimbatore to Munroe island to Varkala to Kanyakumari to Rameshwaram to Bengaluru.

The trip is in progress. The KTM is still pending. So we took off on the Himalayan anyway.

I don't take photos at all anymore unless it's one of my cats, or someone asking for my ID proof. So here's a few snippets from the trip from my wife's phone (apologies, I don't have more of the motorcycle for now) -

Off from home.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20220410_023043238.jpg

First stop, Adiyogi statue.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-20220410_174740.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20220410_131344177.jpg

Highly recommend the sound and light show.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20220410_135421420.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20220410_135902126.jpg

Ferry crossing to Munroe island.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20220411_113233133.jpg

Munroe island.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20220412_023324578.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20220412_005655080.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20220412_054908230.jpg

Rest is Varkala.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20220413_123706463.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20220413_083955783.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20220413_125847058.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20220413_124728542.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20220413_124734027.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20220412_121007580.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-pxl_20220413_091216144.jpg
shyamg28 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 02:46   #1506
BHPian

Interesting thread. Part of my on-going research on this motorcycle made me read almost all the pages. Lovely photos too. You guys are definitely using the bike as a proper tourer.

I think I might be one of those few idiots (assuming there are others like me somwhere) who want to buy a Himalayan but will never ride long distances / go touring.

The max I'd do is maybe a Sunday ride from south Bombay to cafe goodluck at bandra for a cup of tea. Or maybe just maybe a ride to lonavala once in 6 months for a cup of that lovely chocolate coffee that you get at lonavala market.

I was contemplating buying a "new" motorcycle for the following reasons:

I tried to look around for a mint condition Himalayan bs4 but I guess everyone’s either taken it off road or taken it on a long ride or both. Couldn’t find one that was purchased and then just used to ride round the corner.
I did spot a one or two bs6 versions with just a few km on them - Appeared to be bikes which someone purchased and then perhaps wanted to sell due to lack of funds etc. I didn’t see the point in buying them because the cost difference between a new and old bike wasn’t all that much.

So I'm thinking I'd rather buy a new bike. Get a nice number too to go with it. Keep the bike for good. Like the G2 and the Bullet 350 I bought in 2001 and which still serve me well.

Was thinking about the interceptor but the rising prices of fuel and bad roads makes me lean towards the Himalayan.

Coming to my questions -
Do you guys think RE will make major changes to the Himalayan in the next few months? Like adding a 6th gear? Tubeless tyres?
Do you think RE might drop the Himalayan completely or do you feel it’s got another few years left for its run?
Most of your thoughts on earlier pages are around the bike as a long distance tourer / adventure machine. How good or bad a bike do you think it would be for someone like me who just needs a bike to ride around aimlessly once a week for no reason in particular.
theqca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 09:28   #1507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqca View Post
Was thinking about the interceptor but the rising prices of fuel and bad roads makes me lean towards the Himalayan.

Coming to my questions -
Do you guys think RE will make major changes to the Himalayan in the next few months? Like adding a 6th gear? Tubeless tyres?
Do you think RE might drop the Himalayan completely or do you feel it’s got another few years left for its run?
Most of your thoughts on earlier pages are around the bike as a long distance tourer / adventure machine. How good or bad a bike do you think it would be for someone like me who just needs a bike to ride around aimlessly once a week for no reason in particular.
theqca, with regard to your questions
- Unlikely. Royal Enfield has done what they can do on this platform. Next stop - Himalayan 450.
- It should run parallel to the Himalayan 450.
- The Himalayan will do that well. For your intended usage, the Scram might be the better option in city conditions.
neil.jericho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 11:30   #1508
BHPian

So where were we...Varkala yes.

We stayed there for 3 days at Oceano by Trouvaille. Lovely place, lovely people.

There was a Ninja 1000 parked there along with a Ducati Monster which I sat and admired for a while before moving on to the beach, ocean and life in general.
I couldn't get myself to take photos of the lovely motorcycles. I think it sparked something a potentially life changing conversation between the wife and I. Let's see where that goes lol.

We headed to Kanyakumari from Varkala and enjoyed the sunset and more (far far more) importantly, the ghee dosa with coconut chutney to die for :P

The Rameshwaram plan didn't happen because we were too late to attempt to ride towards Dhanushkodi. Maybe that can be part of running-in a new motorcycle lol.

Again, leaving you with some pics.

Our stay at Varkala.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-our-stay-varkala.jpeg

Positioned the Himalayan with the ocean as a backdrop.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-bike-beach-backdrop.jpeg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-sea-backdrop.jpg

Varkala.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-sea-beach-varkala.png

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-sea.png

Sunset at Kappil beach.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-sunset-kappil-beach.jpg

Food at Trip is Life cafe. Must visit.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-food.png

Coffee first.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-coffee.jpg

Drinks next.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-drinks.jpg

Found this Autocar magazine from 2002. Nostalgic.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-autocar.jpeg

On way to Kanyakumari.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-way-kanyakumari.jpeg

Ghee dosa at Saravana Bhavan.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-ghee-dosa-saravana-bahavan.jpeg

Sunrise at Kanyakumari. Quite an event must say.
Name:  Kanyakumari Sunrise.jpeg
Views: 1089
Size:  16.5 KB

Windmills galore riding back from Kanyakumari towards Bangalore.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-windmills.jpeg

Riding back in rain, fun and dangerous. Had to wash every single thing hanging on the bike once we got back because of all the muck that got splashed on us.
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-riding-back-rain.png

We rode back around 670kms, summing up to a leisurely 1700kms round trip. That's all for now

Last edited by shyamg28 : 18th April 2022 at 11:36.
shyamg28 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 12:57   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqca View Post
How good or bad a bike do you think it would be for someone like me who just needs a bike to ride around aimlessly once a week for no reason in particular.
I agree with @neil.jericho, the Scram 411 might suit better.

Why not also look at a Classic 350 or Meteor? The 1st and 2nd gears on the Himalayan are long, probably not ideal if you want to just go about city/town.
The Classic and Meteor, they will do it more gracefully with minimal intervention.
If ever you're looking at a bit of touring, Himalayan is good for it, all day long.
shyamg28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 12:17   #1510
BHPian

Royal Enfield Himalayan blocking the use of the word Himalayan for an Uttarakhand based agri-business

Hi All,

I work on entrepreneurship development and we have been working on supporting small businesses to create jobs in the Himalayan region.

An entrepreneur based in Kumaon, Uttarakhand tried to trademark his brand name: Himalayan Made to sell agri produce like millets, local herbs, seeds, honey etc.

The Royal Enfield guys have blocked his trademark application for Himalayan Made in Class 31. They acknowledge that his application is for 'raw and unprocessed agri foods, unprocessed grains, fresh foods' but dismiss it as an 'dishonest attempt .... to capitalize on my clients reputation'....

As a resident of Uttarakhand, its astonishing that a company can claim that their motorcycle trademark can be used to deny trademark to a food business by a local entrepreneur from the Himalayan region.

There is an ongoing discussion to launch a public campaign to name and shame these guys but I want to explore if there is a direct connect to the RE team to see if they want to be reasonable.

Please see attached screenshots where they also insist the company logo
Himalayan Made
is identical to that of RE Himalayan due to the use of the word Himalayan.

I have the entire affidavit with me and will be happy to share directly with anyone who can help. It will be best to resolve this issue amicably but we will be happy to pursue all means necessary.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-made-1.png

Name:  Himalayan made 2.png
Views: 1036
Size:  257.9 KB

Last edited by Spaced Out : 10th May 2022 at 12:22.
Spaced Out is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 19:44   #1511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
I get around 28 kms to a litre in Bangalore's start stop traffic. On highways, it is around 30-32 kms to a litre if I ride sedately (under 100 km/hr). Anything above those speeds and the fuel efficiency tends to drop rather noticeably.
Hello Everyone!, I recently got my Himalayan and have noticed that thr fuel indicator goes into Trip F pretty quickly. My buddy who owns a Himalayan (Jan 2022) said that it can go for approximately 150kms post the gauge going into trip F. I wanted to know whether this is consistent with what owners here are getting.

In addition to this, the bike is still in its run in period, around 130kms on the ODO. What RPM range would you recommend for the best run in. As of now, I do around 15 kms per day of terrain of varying elevation, i.e plains and slopes and vary the RPM between 2k and 3k for the most part and occasionally take it to 4.5k.

Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
Old 4th July 2022, 19:55   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
Hello Everyone!, I recently got my Himalayan and have noticed that thr fuel indicator goes into Trip F pretty quickly. My buddy who owns a Himalayan (Jan 2022) said that it can go for approximately 150kms post the gauge going into trip F. I wanted to know whether this is consistent with what owners here are getting.
This is how the fuel indicator behaves on the Himalayan. It goes into Trip F sooner than expected. But you can easily do 125-130 kms on Trip F.
Old 5th July 2022, 11:42   #1513
BHPian

Quote:

In addition to this, the bike is still in its run in period, around 130kms on the ODO. What RPM range would you recommend for the best run in. As of now, I do around 15 kms per day of terrain of varying elevation, i.e plains and slopes and vary the RPM between 2k and 3k for the most part and occasionally take it to 4.5k.

Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
Congrats on your purchase. Looking forward to more ride reports ..!!

Yes, Trip F is essentially last 5 liters of petrol, so you should get 120-150 KMs, considering your mileage of 30 KMPL.
You can reset your Trip A to 0 when you put a full tank, then make a note of Trip A when your Trip F starts, in my case its between 300 to 350 KMs (so that's 10 liters and 30-35 kmpl). Then you can guess whether Trip F would be for 100 or 150 KMs.

Regarding run-in RPM, as per SA other than sudden bursts of RPM spikes, anything should be fine.
I acutally took it on 2-3 early morning rides of 200 KMs each with speed at 80 KMPH and RPM below 5K, that finished the run-in and i got the first service done. In the process moved to Fully synthetic oil too (that's outside ASS).
Old 5th July 2022, 19:30   #1514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
I acutally took it on 2-3 early morning rides of 200 KMs each with speed at 80 KMPH and RPM below 5K, that finished the run-in and i got the first service done. In the process moved to Fully synthetic oil too (that's outside ASS).
Thank you sir! Does the ASS not provide synthetic oil? If so, is the oil they provide mineral or semi synthetic?
Old 5th July 2022, 19:37   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you sir! Does the ASS not provide synthetic oil? If so, is the oil they provide mineral or semi synthetic?
ASS does not provide any synthetic oil, they use Liquid Gun oil only.
After my first free service, i put synthetic from FNG. I let the ASS do their procedure so that there are no issues on warranty and then i put my preferred oil.
I am not sure if Liquid Gun is mineral or semi synth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks