Team-BHP - February 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   February 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/174367-february-2016-two-wheeler-sales-figures.html)

Here is a look at the 2 Wheeler Sales figures for February 2016.

Manufacturer Level Sales

February 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures-twofebmanuc1.jpg

Top 10 Two Wheeler-Feb 2016

February 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures-twofebtop1.jpg

Model Level Sales

February 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures-modelsales1.jpg
February 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures-modelsales6.jpg
February 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures-modelsales3.jpg
February 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures-modelsales4.jpg
February 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures-modelsales5.jpg

Key Observations:

Manufacturer Level Updates:

Source: AutoPunditz

Thank you Rajeevraj for the heads up. It is surprising to note that HMSI yoy growth is tottering at abysmally low at 1.04%. Imagine a scenario wherein Activa sales decline, then Honda will have nowhere to hide. Post separation of Honda from Hero moto Corp, the sales have not declined and Splendor is still the superstar leading and driving the sales for Hero.
I have noticed more number of Honda Unicorn in southern India as compared to the rest of the country. Don't know any specific reasons for the same. No surprises on RE scoring 61% on yoy.

Thank for the share and the brief summation through your observations :thumbs up.

- Yamaha has definitely got a great crowd puller with the Fascino. By virtue of its design, it has appeal across a wide age bracket. I'm betting some of the Fascino's sales have come from would-be Vespa buyers.

- Suzuki has to pull its socks up and offer a wider range of commuter centric motorcycles. It's okay to take it slow with the superbike space, but Suzuki's high-end range is more expansive than its volume drivers, of which only two have any visibility.

- Royal Enfield's growth has my eyes wide and the Himalayan is sure to see this number grow up exponentially. I might just add one to that number if the Himalayan holds up in the real world :).

The gaps between the have's and have not's is wide. While we find the major players doing well and rocking, the lesser players are much below the competition.

The most pitiable cases are that of Mahindra and Piaggio (four figure Kings), who may be looking up for better days and greener pastures. The Indian two wheeler market forces are unique. Both are greats elsewhere but have not made it great here by any means.

Suzuki is also quite much below (five figure Kings) and Royal Enfield (RE) is a notch below Yamaha. The way things are moving, RE may overtake Yamaha, though both cater to totally different niches.

So mahindra mojo manages to outsell the popular honda cbr 250r. Though the numbers are quite low, would still say it is an achievement for guys at mahindra.

I am always surprised to see the Duke 200 outsell the 390. The latter is a lot more bike for a little more money. The current downturn could be on account of folks waiting for the new embellishments lined up for April 2016; or maybe even the 2017 brand new model

The Kwacker numbers seem out of whack

Model level sales shows "Ninja 250" as 5 units. Was this not discontinued ages ago?

Cant be the Z250 either, coz that shows 8 units sold. What gives?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad (Post 3939409)
The current downturn could be on account of folks waiting for the new embellishments lined up for April 2016; or maybe even the 2017 brand new model

What are these embellishments expected for April this year on the 390?

From the thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...200-rc390.html

List of changes in the MY2016 range

All models are powered by the same liquid-cooled engines, but feature the following changes:

1. RC 390 gets slipper clutch
2. Duke / RC 200 gets 300mm front disc
3. Disc brake thickness increased on all models
4. Reworked radiator fans
5. Plastic flaps & NOK seal for front fork
6. Modified ECU dampers
7. Vapor recovery system for the fuel tank
8. Reworked front & rear alloy wheels
9. Forged levers on step holder
10. Revised mounting points
11. Reworked frame with M6 tapping
12. Adjustable handlebar levers
13. Different paint quality, although same shade
14. New pillion seat assembly
15. No on / off switch for headlamp
16. New MRF tyres for Duke / RC 200
17. RC models get revised rear view mirror
18. Better cushioned seats

IIRC, these changes were to be implemented effective April 2016 models

Given we are talking of February, another aspect to consider can be the YTD or Year To Date numbers (11 Months). A brief summary is as follows:

[b]Gearless Scooter Segment

The overall gearless scooter segment has grown by 11.6% during the initial 11 months.
[/list]Honda remains the leader in the gearless scooter segment with 56.55% share in domestic sales as against 56.90% last year. Slight drop in share may be due to Yamaha, Mahindra and TVS showing phenomenal growth of ~44%, ~99% and 26% respectively.
[/list]Hero continues to be the next best selling brand with less than 1/3rd of Honda's volumes (Honda does an average of 231k units v/s Hero's 66.5k units a month). TVS however is catching with Hero and narrowing the gap.
[/list]That said, gearless scooters contribute 35% to the overall 2 wheeler sales and Honda definitely on the driving seat in this

[b]Motorcycle Segment

The overall motorcycle segment has declined by ~1% during these 11 months
The overall segment (<110 cc) has declined by 5.6% and the only player to have recover grounds is Bajaj. It recorded an 11% growth to beat the other players while averaging at 77k units/month
Bajaj's forte is the >125cc but less than equal to 350cc segment. Brands like Boxer, Duke, Pulsar and Avenger really shine together. Discover was doing good until the guys at Bajaj started churning out every possible version of it. It did led to confusion and impacted sales.

Regards,
Mac

It is really surprising to see Bonneville A3 doing Zero. Is it like the technological improvements in ST is taking the edge over here. But still I feel A3 has that classic look with bigger fuel tank and other old school features (ignition on headlight side and fully striped seat). IMO I would still prefer the A3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3937593)
Here is a look at the 2 Wheeler Sales figures for February 2016.

Hi Rajeev,
Thank you for this data and the analysis.:thumbs up

I have a query though. Are these numbers india sales or they are combination of india sales and exports combined?

Does anyone have the breakup between india sales and exports?

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhishek46 (Post 3945672)
Hi Rajeev,
Thank you for this data and the analysis.:thumbs up

I have a query though. Are these numbers india sales or they are combination of india sales and exports combined?

Does anyone have the breakup between india sales and exports?

This particular chart is only local sales as far as I was able to verify. In the previous months I remember the total number included exports and hence did not match the model level total. Bajaj is the biggest exporter with almost 50% of their volumes from exports. Rest all are mostly negligible.