Team-BHP - Manzil Motors uses my Royal Enfield for transporting wheels!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Manzil Motors uses my Royal Enfield for transporting wheels! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/174706-manzil-motors-uses-my-royal-enfield-transporting-wheels.html)

Dear All:

The objective of this post is threefold:
(i) To seek your inputs on what recourse(s) is available in the event a car/motorbike service centre engages in malpractices. By recourse I mean an effective recourse.
(ii) To share my experience with Manzil Motors (Gurgaon) the Royal Enfield dealer very recently.
(iii) Possibly get to an end-state where we have a repository of malpractices experienced by fellow T-Bhpians.

Purely out of passion I bought a Royal Enfield Classic 500 Black from Manzil Motors even though I know I will get no time for serious riding. Yesterday I gave the bike for its second free service at 11.02am. I had some work so left the bike behind and was promised that they will call me once the service is done. At the second service no oil change is done. No problems were reported at the stage of job card opening. 90 mins is the time usually taken for second service.

I didn't receive a call from the dealer. I reached the service centre at 6.10pm to find that my bike was nowhere to be seen. I enquired and got vague replies including some rude ones by the service supervisor like "must have gone for test ride, every bike here goes for test ride, we take 2-3 test rides" in a tone that made me feel like hurting him. Suddenly I saw two persons riding my bike carrying two motorcycle wheels. The bike was being used to run errands. The normal test ride is 2-3 kms and exceeds that only when a problem is reported. My bike was driven for 10kms.

Now the owner of Manzil Motors is quite suave and he tried to placate me in various ways but I was upset. Questions that were running in my mind were: (i) am i over-reacting? Is it not impropriety to use my bike for anything without my permission and exceeding the brief? I gave my bike for service. If it was to be used for anything else did it not require my permission? (ii) Is it not a breach of trust on the part of the dealer? (iii) What is the guarantee that they have not changed the parts while I was away? What is the thin line dividing a minor misdemeanour from a major one? If they don't have the values and the principles in place nothing stops them from bigger malpractices. Who knows they may even be engaging in them.

It is not a question of money or the bike being used. If they had requested my permission I may have allowed them (I don't know).

I have totally lost faith in Manzil Motors. Wonder if going with a cheap brand always necessarily engenders dealing with people with cheap value systems.

Question is what is the recourse? I am pretty certain that the Company will be inclined to turn a blind eye to this "minor" issue as sales are important, the topline is important. At best the person riding the bike will be fired which the Manzil Motors owner offered to do. I found it funny. It is his responsibility to put systems and processes in place and to ensure they are not violated. He was trying to pin the blame on the mechanic.

Now that I have realised that I bought a cheap brand which will force me to deal with cheap service centres either without or with limited customer service focus and totally devoid of values and principles one recourse I have immediately activated is to get rid of the bike. I have only used it for 1000km but I am selling it. It is better to be without a motorcycle than to deal with such people on a regular basis and get frustrated.

I am curious to know your thoughts.

Dear Moderators:

I conducted the mandatory search but didn't find a suitable thread to make my post a part of. Please merge if necessary but I feel a single thread for all dealer malpractices may not be a bad idea.

Cheers

Deep

Specifically in case of Royal Enfield, report this incident to customerservice@royalenfield.com. I have found them to be very responsive, you should hear back from them in couple of days.

To begin with no it's not over reacting on your part. Each one of us puts great trust while purchasing a car/bike from a showroom as well as when we hand them our vehicles for servicing.
Using a customer's vehicle to run errands is not only unprofessional but also shows the sheer disrespect that they have for the trust customers puts on them. And for them such incidences are always "minor".
While you can be assured there will hardly be any actions taken against those at fault. The heads at service centres often give false assurances in front of customers to fire the concerned employee whereas in reality they hardly take any actions later due to the fear of backlash from rest of the staff.
If you managed to click a picture of them riding your bike you can attach it to your complaint to RE. Showing some proof will add more weight to your claim.

You should get your bike checked from a local garage or possibly a mechanic who has expertise in repairing RE's. Let him have a look he can definitely give you an idea if any parts have been changed or replaced with used ones.

For these dealers/service centres trust and responsibility are mere words to shower on a prospective buyer at the time of purchase. Once they deliver the product to the customer all the trust and principles go out of the window.

Also the manufacturer cannot be held accountable for such incidences. Most of the times the manufacturers have little or no idea of such malpractices and even if they do they have very limited power to correct them since they don't own these dealers. Every automobile dealer has some or the other jugaad running in it's inner most workings. That's how they manage to keep their profit margins in check.
Skoda is an excellent example of a brand tarnished due to the fault of it's dealers.

Before I say your's was over reaction or not, let me tell some things which service centers do -

- Sometimes they just wash the vehicle and say, it is serviced. Yeh may be change oil at the most. Definition of service itself for many service centers is 'washing'.

- Oil - lol. I have heard instances where oil change was faked or taken from another bike's drain or not changed at all.

- Unnecessarily changing parts to increase revenue. Most common are brake pads, chain sprocket etc

- Swapping batteries (happened to me)

- Stealing petrol

- Using the bike for another customers test drive (I have done test drive unfortunately). But I knew it only after I finished the TD or wouldn't have done it. It was an Apache RTR ABS

- Have seen young (probably under-aged boys), abusing the bike inside the service center itself, doing skidding, wildly turning it 180 degrees while on side stand etc.

When you consider the above, I think taking the bike for an errand is much lesser in terms of the crime committed assuming they did not abuse the bike. However I don't appreciate it.

Note: Having raised this issue, I suggest not to visit that service center again in your bike's interest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep_Shri (Post 3944821)
Suddenly I saw two persons riding my bike carrying two motorcycle wheels. The bike was being used to run errands. The normal test ride is 2-3 kms and exceeds that only when a problem is reported. My bike was driven for 10kms.

While this is extremely sad to hear our prized possessions being abused shamelessly, it is a fact that this practice is rampant is many service centers. The only silver lining is that relatively big service centers have a proper security staff which keeps a track of vehicles entering and leaving service centers. However, everywhere else, such misuse is order of the day.

Quote:

one recourse I have immediately activated is to get rid of the bike. I have only used it for 1000km but I am selling it. It is better to be without a motorcycle than to deal with such people on a regular basis and get frustrated.
I am really perplexed as to what drove you to even contemplate of taking such a drastic step. I have had the opportunity of owning several bikes right from the humble hero puch to my current RC390 and I have always made it a point to be physically present while the bikes are being serviced. You being physically present negates chances of malpractice from mechanics to a great extent.

Now I understand that it may not always be possible to be physically present the whole day for servicing but I have always found that even a comprehensive service is completed in max 3 hours. I feel that having invested hard earned money for our passion, it is prudent to give that personal attention in deserves.

Quote:

Purely out of passion I bought a Royal Enfield Classic 500 Black from Manzil Motors even though I know I will get no time for serious riding. Yesterday I gave the bike for its second free service at 11.02am.

Mate I understand your situation and the frustration you must have gone through. I hope this practice that I follow will help you.
Before the Service:
1. Whenever you give your motorcycle for service note down the odometer reading and ask the service advisor to do the same.
2. Measure the petrol (not possible in CL and STD series as they don't have fuel gauge) but you can do it visually by opening the lid.
3. Ask the service advisor to make a note of no scratches or damages are on the bike while you are giving it for service and you expect it to remain that way.
4. Steer clear of unnecessary add on expenses like chain lube spray, battery terminal cleaning and spray, engine oil additive, etc. You will save big bucks on this as most of these little jobs can be done by yourself.
5. Categorically tell them NOT TO PRESSURE WASH the motorcycle as it will do more damage than good.
6. Once satisfied with your inputs being jotted down go ahead and sign the job card for authorizing the service.

After the Service:
1. Check the Odometer reading and petrol, it should be the same while you left it for service. As far as test riding goes tell them either you will test it yourself before signing the gate pass and bill or else you will accompany the mechanic as pillion while testing. It is the same as they do while we test ride the motorcycles from showroom wherein their showroom staff sits behind us to make sure we don't abuse the motorcycle.
2. Do a visual inspection of the motorcycle for any signs of scratches or damage post the service.
3. Check whether all the lights, indicators and horn are working as they should.

All of the above check points of before and after can be completed in a matter of 10-15 mins. before signing that service receipt and gate pass. After all it is your motorcycle and you as an owner have every right to protect it.
Quote:

Questions that were running in my mind were: (i) am i over-reacting? Is it not impropriety to use my bike for anything without my permission and exceeding the brief? I gave my bike for service. If it was to be used for anything else did it not require my permission?
You are not at all over reacting mate. The motorcycle is your property and no one has the right to abuse it without your permission. It is similar to some stranger walking into your house switching on the TV and A/C and lying on the sofa without your permission.
Quote:

(ii) Is it not a breach of trust on the part of the dealer? (iii) What is the guarantee that they have not changed the parts while I was away? What is the thin line dividing a minor misdemeanour from a major one? If they don't have the values and the principles in place nothing stops them from bigger malpractices. Who knows they may even be engaging in them.
Just give it a shot by writing a stinker email to customer service as suggested by sumithb. They are very responsive as I have experienced it.
Quote:

Now that I have realised that I bought a cheap brand which will force me to deal with cheap service centres either without or with limited customer service focus and totally devoid of values and principles one recourse I have immediately activated is to get rid of the bike. I have only used it for 1000km but I am selling it. It is better to be without a motorcycle than to deal with such people on a regular basis and get frustrated.
Deep mate there is no reason for you to sell off the motorcycle that you bought with so much passion, besides losing on depreciation value. Try to find an alternate service centre in your area with good repute which you can gauge from social media forums as well as our very own TeamBHP.:thumbs up

Deep - You don't ever throw the baby out with the bathwater.

So selling the bike because its been used for an errand is not done.

Here's what I suggest you do:

1) Complain about this episode to Royal Enfield.
2) Get the bike checked to ensure that parts have not been changed.
3) Negotiate some freebies/free services/free labour from Manzil motors in lieu of their malpractice.
4) Please remain physically present in the service center during your services from now onwards.

Also, why would you have done only a 1000 kms till your second service? Get on your bike and ride more, worry less. ;-)

Hope your ride gives you many more km's of happiness. Ride safe.

Simply tweet to @sidlal and @royalenfield with this thread.

Selling the bike is pointless. Service center junta are scum in most places.

Thank you everyone for your inputs and guidance. I will write to Royal Enfield.

I have clicked a picture and will attach it as advised.

Usually I am presently at the service experience centre for the entire duration but on this occasion I had some pressing commitments.

Really appreciate you all suggesting that I don't sell the bike. But as you would have gauged from the limited riding I have managed it is purely 'shaukiya'. I guess going with Triumph or Harley will accord greater assurance of dealing with more polite and principled people (even though there is no guarantee).

I will also update you in case I get a response from Royal Enfield.

Cheers

Deep

Sad to hear this story. Obviously, a dealer should not use your bike, or car, for anything other then, if needed, a test drive.

I am a bit surprised as well. I used to know Manzil Motors pretty well. they have carried out quite a bit of work on my RE in the past.

I have been on rides with the owner and I would not hesitate to recommend them to my friends. They always did a very good job on my bike. I haven't been there for the last 12 months or so, so I cant really comment on any recent experiences.

There has been some changes in the management over the last year I believe. One of the senior guys left to start his own RE workshop in Gurgaon and I believe several of the Manzil staff have left and joined him as well.

Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep_Shri (Post 3945417)

Usually I am presently at the service experience centre for the entire duration but on this occasion I had some pressing commitments.

Really appreciate you all suggesting that I don't sell the bike. But as you would have gauged from the limited riding I have managed it is purely 'shaukiya'. I guess going with Triumph or Harley will accord greater assurance of dealing with more polite and principled people (even though there is no guarantee).

Cheers

Deep

There is no guarantee that Triumph or Harley wouldnt do this.

See what happened with a "premium" like Skoda/VW. They are among the worst service providers in India.

MB, Audi, BMW dealerships have been known to cheat customers and take random long drives with the customers' cars without their permission.

So, dont think just buying a Triumph or Harley will solve this issue.

Quote:

I guess going with Triumph or Harley will accord greater assurance of dealing with more polite and principled people (even though there is no guarantee).

Yes, its true that there is no guarantee. Whatever brand you may buy your vehicle will definitely be used for joyrides in the name of test rides one time or other. The only solution to stop joyrides is that you insist to go along with the service person at the time of test ride.

Quote:

Cheers

Deep

You buy a bike, hardly use her, then decide to sell her because the service guys took her out for running errands, and then to top it all, you want to upgrade to a Triumph or a Harley. With all due respect, its not making any sense mate.

Your "Shauk" is gonna cost you quite a bit, and I don't think you will ride too much of your new ride either.

Good luck !

It sucks that your bike being ridden by the service center without permission, but you are taking it way to personally. Sell it for all its other faults, but selling it because service center attitude (that too a single one) is far stretched.

Do email the picture and raise the case as suggested above, though.

Quote:

(i) To seek your inputs on what recourse(s) is available in the event a car/motorbike service centre engages in malpractices. By recourse I mean an effective recourse.
(ii) To share my experience with Manzil Motors (Gurgaon) the Royal Enfield dealer very recently.
(iii) Possibly get to an end-state where we have a repository of malpractices experienced by fellow T-Bhpians.

Dear Deep,

You could have taken a quick snap from from mobile phone, and shared the story on REs FB wall with details of the dealer, time and place.
This is india, here customer comes last.

There is no point in getting rid of the bike because of some idiots.
Instead, find a good private friendly workshop specializing in REs.
RE riders swear by them, they can fix issues in REs, which service centre will not bother to hear also.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting full posts