Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2016, 19:11   #46
BHPian

Re: Bengaluru: Dealer auctions old Yamaha RX135s for 1.5 lakh!

It is true that the price is high for the bike, but we have to take into consideration the fact that the dealer made the effort to keep these in running condition and he encountered the inventory carrying cost for all these years.
I think this is something important. Even new cars are stored (out in the open, exposed to the elements) in a sub-optimal way.
If we take a parking fee of Rs. 20 per day (which is quite low for a city like Bangalore), the charges would accumulate to more than Rs. 73,000 for a decade! (Wikipedia tells me that the RX-135 was available till 2005 in select Indian cities).
So the price is not too unjustified, considering the costs incurred by the dealer. It is another matter that the dealer might have stored them at a place outside the city where the rentals would be lower.
Nissan1180 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 15:54   #47
BHPian

Sorry to play spoilsport here.

If you ever commute by bicycle in the city and/or take your children in motorcycles/bicycles in the city, you will never ever want to ride a two stroke bike. They are annoyingly uncomfortable, almost like those two stroke auto rickshaw and unmaintained buses.

If you are living in the remote villages, then have fun.
Old 12th April 2016, 18:56   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post

If you ever commute by bicycle in the city and/or take your children in motorcycles/bicycles in the city, you will never ever want to ride a two stroke bike. They are annoyingly uncomfortable, almost like those two stroke auto rickshaw and unmaintained buses.

The black smoke which comes out of our city buses and trucks would be much more lethal. Not sure of the mathematics or the facts. It is just my feeling.
Old 12th April 2016, 19:01   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Had they used a little common sense, they could've got a defunct, scrap Rx (just for good papers) for 10K & even if they bought every single nut, bolt, spokes, cotter pin to swing arm, wheel, fork, tank, suspension, cylinder, piston, seat & alfa toyo...it wouldn't cost them anywhere to a Lakh!!
Kudos to your technical knowhow which paid you well . You have something in your garage which you build yourself from scratch, good for you. Neither everyone is gifted as you nor having enough resources, contacts, time and pateince to pull that off cleanly. If I have money and I have soft corner for something, I can't allow others to be judgemental about my senses about me spending own money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
My only advice & pity towards some folks who say they cannot do; because, if an illiterate can work on motorcycles, then, its only an insult calling ourselves as passionate, enthusiast, probably not putting our education right. My statement is not an insult, but to say that do not underestimate the power within you, if they can do it, so can we & its no rocket science to rebuild (not engineer or re-engineer) a single cylinder 2S motorcycle.
Just because I'm passionate about bike doesn't mean I'm technically inclined towards every aspect of it. I'm passionate about bike and happy with cleaning, lubing the chain and taking her for quick runs to satisfy my compassion. I leave technical stuffs to service professionals which are more technically sound then me to make sure I dont get stranded in middle of no where at middle of night.
On lighter note - I have fair knowledge in gardening and plants, still I visit vegetable market for veggies. Just saying.
Drive&Smile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 00:23   #50
BHPian

Quote:

With all due respect, Would like to disagree with you. I drive my 1989 Yamaha RX 100 daily in Kochi and must say it's the most easy to drive bike in congested traffic. If correctly maintained and modifications are not done, the refinement and pollution levels are on par with modern bikes.

How many modern bikes can go in dense traffic in top gear without riding the clutch ?

The seating position, weight etc is just too perfect.

I respect your opinion but for most who have driven an RX, the 2 stroke engine sound is as sweet as Beethoven's symphonies.
Captain Haddock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 10:22   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The black smoke which comes out of our city buses and trucks would be much more lethal. Not sure of the mathematics or the facts. It is just my feeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
If correctly maintained and modifications are not done, the refinement and pollution levels are on par with modern bikes.
I wasn't really referring to the refinement. Even the Harleys have horrible refinement... at 6L, unacceptable. But that is not the issue.

The issue is the engine oil getting burnt. Or should I say, not burnt. Engine oil cannot be burnt like gasoline. Hence, they come out just as unburnt gas. It is horrible to inhale.

Abhishek, I agree with the buses and trucks. But if buses and trucks are maintained well, they are okay, considering the size and volume they carry. I still avoid tailing them longer.
Old 13th April 2016, 10:37   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Spoilsport?
Do you really think these have been bought at (upto) 1.5L because the buyer thought this was the best bike to commute on?

Also, have you owned one? Just asking.
Old 13th April 2016, 10:54   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

Spoilsport?
Do you really think these have been bought at (upto) 1.5L because the buyer thought this was the best bike to commute on?

Also, have you owned one? Just asking.
How does it matter whether I owned one or not? I'm as passionate as anybody in bicycles, motorbikes, cars. I owned a two stroke - Suzuki Max 100, I loved it but I gave it away for free to someone in village. I also have friends who own Rx. My perception of pollution changed when I had kids. I can hold my breadth now and then and adjust breathing depending on situations. Kids cannot.

You will know one day when you have children.

As I said, if you are buying it to enjoy riding on the outskirts, that is fine. Else, it is indeed an unwanted pollutant in the city. Cities are already hot chimney with the so called clean cars. Smoke is the last thing we want to add further.
opendro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 10:55   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread has seen it all, hasn't it?

Two stroke bike is annoyingly uncomfortable?! Good lord.
Old 13th April 2016, 11:05   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How does it matter whether I owned one or not? I'm as passionate as anybody in bicycles, motorbikes, cars. I owned a two stroke - Suzuki Max 100, I loved it but I gave it away for free to someone in village. I also have friends who own Rx. My perception of pollution changed when I had kids. I can hold my breadth now and then and adjust breathing depending on situations. Kids cannot.

You will know one day when you have children.

As I said, if you are buying it to enjoy riding on the outskirts, that is fine. Else, it is indeed an unwanted pollutant in the city. Cities are already hot chimney with the so called clean cars. Smoke is the last thing we want to add further.
1. A max 100 is no benchmark on the feel of an RX.
2. If the bike is clearing PUC legitimately, what is the gripe?
3. Pipe down on the having children bit. Whats your authority to assume that I dont?
4. Again, a PUC compliant RX is unwanted, but noxious bus/auto/cab is fine?

Also, I can guarantee this, that the people who have bought these bikes, the most they will be ridden is in the first few months, and that too for general hops. Post that, it'll just be time spent polishing the chrome, setting the jets, and just spending time time with an old comrade.
Old 13th April 2016, 11:16   #56
BHPian

Don't talk as if RX is from some alien planet. It is a bike from my generation.

Read carefully, I said, buses and trucks if well maintained are reasonable keeping in mind the size and volume they carry. One bus can eliminate 70 cars from the road by saving the space by almost 95%.

I ride bicycles, my children ride bicycles. I assume you either don't have children or your children don't commute by bicycle or you don't even take them on two wheelers on the road. If you ticked any one of these, you would surely understand my point of view.

Anyway, I have no gripe... screw the air. It is not as if I'm the only one suffering. Lets all suffer together. I hope this concludes on an agreeable note.
Old 13th April 2016, 11:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't you worry. Your opinions are not going to stop anyone here from riding their 2 strokes.

Quote:
They are annoyingly uncomfortable, almost like those two stroke auto rickshaw and unmaintained buses.
Non-sense, really. The 'annoyingly uncomfortable' 2 strokes are those which are ill-maintained or have been modified for more noise / performance. Why blame the rest of us? No comments on the auto-ricks which run on kerosene and the buses which never see the inside of a service centre.

Quote:
The issue is the engine oil getting burnt. Or should I say, not burnt. Engine oil cannot be burnt like gasoline. Hence, they come out just as unburnt gas. It is horrible to inhale.
To each, his own. To me, nothing smells better than the blue smoke coming out of a 2 stroke exhaust with that tinge of unburnt 2T oil in it.

Quote:
I owned a two stroke - Suzuki Max 100, I loved it but I gave it away for free to someone in village.
I ride a Splendor. So I know how much fun a Hayabusa is. Both 4 strokes, no?

Quote:
My perception of pollution changed when I had kids. You will know one day when you have children.
Apparently, some of us are beyond repair. When me and my wife were expecting our second child, I added a second RX135 to the garage. I intend to restore and keep it so that both my children can at least experience what the rest of their generation will miss out on!
Viju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 11:34   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Don't you worry. Your opinions are not going to stop anyone here from riding their 2 strokes.
I know. But I think it was worth the effort
opendro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 11:43   #59
Senior - BHPian

This is the biggest Hyperbole I have heard and very absurd too.
RX 135 doesnt even command a rate as RX 100, may be a 5 Speed is tad more but not more than 30k.
Here are my 2 RX Yamahas..acquired at below 25k rate and restored to their glory...
RX100
Bengaluru: Dealer auctions old Yamaha RX135s for 1.5 lakh!-20.yamaha-rx-100.jpg
RX135 Five Speed with Disc Brake
Bengaluru: Dealer auctions old Yamaha RX135s for 1.5 lakh!-25.yamaha-rx-135.jpg
hillram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 11:51   #60
Senior - BHPian

So many used RX135 5 Speeds going for 10K - 12K. Cheap indeed.
Oh wait! It is 100K - 120K!

RD350s appreciated 10x in the past 10 - 12 years. But they are RD350s! It is okay.
Standard Bullets cost 2.5x what they used to, 10 years ago. But they are Bullets! It is okay.
RX135 appreciated 3x in the past 10 years. They were stored in brand new condition. No!!! How is it even possible?!

Welcome to the real world.

Bengaluru: Dealer auctions old Yamaha RX135s for 1.5 lakh!-capture.jpg

Last edited by Viju : 13th April 2016 at 12:00.
Viju is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks