Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2016, 17:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bengaluru: Dealer auctions old Yamaha RX135s for 1.5 lakh!

The Yamaha RX series has won over many Indian bikers. Though out of production, the RX 100 and RX 135, much like their senior sibling - the RD 350, hold a special place in the hearts of several enthusiasts. Finding a well-maintained example is no easy task and the controlled supply has made it a seller's market. A Yamaha dealer in Bengaluru saw the opportunity and held on to seven RX 135s and auctioned them for a princely sum of Rs. 1.5 lakh each!

Two-stroke engines offer good acceleration and performance, but stringent emission norms have made them an extinct breed, with four-stroke motors now being the norm. The two-stroke RX 135 was popular with modifiers and racers alike and tickled the fancy of young buyers in the late 90's. Evidently, the love for the RX didn't die and after a friend of Rahul S. Dhojanna (owner of Pacer Motors) put up a Facebook post about seven RX 135s being on sale, the word spread like wildfire. One of the bikes was sold for Rs. 1.65 lakh. At that price, one can buy a brand new KTM Duke 200, which itself is a favourite among today's entry-level performance bike buyers.

The Yamaha RX series continues to enjoy a large fan following and in the years to come, the value is only likely to keep rising.

Source: Bangalore Mirror

Bengaluru: Dealer auctions old Yamaha RX135s for 1.5 lakh!-1.jpg

*Image for representation only.
Tushar is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 18:45   #2
BHPian

re: Bengaluru: Dealer auctions old Yamaha RX135s for 1.5 lakh!

This pic made me nostalgic. Picked up a really well kept RX135 in Pune for around 25K and it served me beautifully for 2 years. I didn't want to get into the MH number related hassles on shifting to Delhi so went to the dealer, who took it back for pretty much the same amount he had sold to me!

To this date I regret not making the effort of getting this bike with me. Although it makes only noise and not much else post around 60kmph, but what fun!
avisidhu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 19:12   #3
BHPian

Nostalgia indeed and many great memories as Rx 100 was my first and only motor cycle.

Had done many road trips and this red Yamaha was the star amongst friends Hero honda and Bajaj KB100s!

Had it for 5 years from late 80s to early 90s, and proof that it was still in great demand those days too, was the fact that someone stole it from my work place (hospital), and never found again, leaving me heart broken!

I never could buy another bike as it would be too much burden on dad to buy a new one, managed with the bajaj chetak for few years till the maruti 800 was handed over to me!

Even today when I see a spotless and well maintained red Rx 100 go by, I instinctively look for my license number CNN 1153!!

Last edited by sumeet007 : 6th April 2016 at 19:13. Reason: added a line.
sumeet007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 20:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

What a bunch of fools whoever bought those bikes at such a high price!!

Had they used a little common sense, they could've got a defunct, scrap Rx (just for good papers) for 10K & even if they bought every single nut, bolt, spokes, cotter pin to swing arm, wheel, fork, tank, suspension, cylinder, piston, seat & alfa toyo...it wouldn't cost them anywhere to a Lakh!!

Last edited by GTO : 7th April 2016 at 11:40. Reason: Typo
aargee is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 06:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Happy to see my 2T's image being used for representation.

To be honest, as a Yamaha 2 stroke fan, I don't consider the price of INR 1.5 lakhs to be so out-of-the-world. Yes, you can buy more powerful, faster and more advanced bikes for the money, but that is not why one would want an RX135 in this day and age, right?

As for building up bikes from scratch, that is what pretty much everyone is doing (or trying to do).

Then again, there are two points to consider here:

(1) Unless some miracle happens, no one will ever get to buy a brand new road-legal 2 stroke. Ever again. This might have been the only chance! Factory spec, unused is just that. Restored is restored. To some of us, that makes a big difference.

(2) By 2015, Yamaha had gradually stopped the supply of RX135 spare parts. Cylinder kits, ART pistons, crank assemblies, seats, chassis, swing-arm, front fork assembly - are all now extinct. Yes, some dealers will have old stocks, but that is it. No more is coming from Yamaha. This is in addition to many other parts which were defunct earlier itself - like catcon silencers, any RXZ parts, cylinder heads, carburettor or its components, magnet and coil plate assy, gear box parts. And even the part prices had ballooned in the past few years. Therefore, buying a scrap bike and restoring it to 100% factory spec is either -

(a) Impossible, because you could not find original Yamaha spare parts.

OR

(b) Is going to cost much more than a lakh, because you paid the price for black-market OE parts and did it right.

Yes, one can always substitute parts with whatever is available and 'make it work'. But for some, 'making it work' is different from 'making it work the way it was intended to'. Peace.

Last edited by Viju : 7th April 2016 at 06:02.
Viju is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 06:29   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
What a bunch of fools whoever bought those bike at such high price!!

Had they used a little common sense, they could've got a defunct, scrap Rx (just for good papers) for 10K & even if they bought every single nut, bolt, spokes, cotter pin to swing arm, wheel, fork, tank, suspension, cylinder, piston, seat & alfa toyo...it wouldn't cost them anywhere to a Lakh!!
Not everyone can build a bike from scratch but still a good condition bike is certainly available for much less than the auction amount.

From the article, ""Potential customers were then informed of the auction through word of mouth. I was pleasantly surprised when each bike sold for around `1.5 lakh with the highest bid going to around Rs 1.65. That proved beyond any doubt that bike enthusiasts still love the Rx 135," added Rahul."

That proved beyond doubt that there are many wannabe bike enthusiasts who want to show to their friends, families and neighbors that they are cool
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 06:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
That proved beyond doubt that there are many wannabe bike enthusiasts who want to show to their friends, families and neighbors that they are cool
But is it not possible that someone who is genuinely passionate about 2 strokes bought the bike(s)?

Since when did having an RX135 make one cool anyway? I have two, so just curious.
Viju is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 07:47   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Why would someone genuinely passionate be spending twice the money for an RX 100?
Old 7th April 2016, 08:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why would someone genuinely passionate be spending twice the money for an RX 100?
Because they really wish to experience a brand new Yamaha two stroke, but could not buy one 11 years ago when Yamaha stopped production?!

I mean, does passion have to make financial sense as well?

In any case, I did not mean to start a debate. Those who wanted to buy the bikes, and were ready to spend the money already did. They will enjoy it. I don't think opinions matter much.
Viju is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 08:50   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Its only new once. As much as I think the money is outrageous, that's the going price of something as rare as this. Even the RXZ 5 speeds quote 6 digit sums these days.

From a collectors standpoint, the highest echelon bike is a crate bike followed by a zero mile bike. I think its fair to pay premium for it.

Also, you have to be really lucky to ride one of those 2005 RX 135s which I was thanks to Viju

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
But is it not possible that someone who is genuinely passionate about 2 strokes bought the bike(s)?

Since when did having an RX135 make one cool anyway? I have two, so just curious.
Totally agree there. When I tell people I got a 135 5 gear, they ask why I don't have a 100 - that's a better bike. Couldn't disagree more with that.

But I thought you sold them though? Or did you get 2 more?
nitrogary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 09:08   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Neither do I want to start a debate here. The selling price is too much for an not so rare bike. After all they were selling 7 in a go.

RX135 vs RX100 debates can go on for pages but having an RX sure has bragging rights at office, college etc..
Old 7th April 2016, 09:31   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

It seems a little steep, but I myself would have loved to land one at 60-70k, though that might seem a bit too much. It doesn't necessarily take a fool. By the same measure, you could put people buying flagship iphones or androids in the dock.
A well earning exec, with not the time, or the inclination, or the knowledge to set up a full restoration, passed out in the 90s, would gladly pay what may be a minor amount to ride a wave of nostalgia.
Having an RX100 at home is still,now, an enviable prospect.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 10:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is interesting. What I am curious to know is that if the dealer held on to the bikes for so long, how are the new owners going to register these bikes, as its going to get registered for the first time (unless the dealer had already registered them earlier and that makes them a secondhand purchase at least on paper)? I thought selling brand new two stroke bikes was banned in our country? Further, these bikes surely don't meet the current emission norms to be allowed to register as well.
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 10:30   #14
BHPian

For some, passion is beyond smiling Gandhi notes.
I committed the sin of scrapping off my dad's 1991 Yezdi CLII in early 2000s for a sum of 1500 bucks. It's still my wish to gift him a stock CLII on his birthday. Just that I am not able to find a clean one these days.
Speaking of which, my friend was offered a cool 4.5 L for his 64 G2, which he denied outright. It was his dad's first bike and he passed away when my friend was in his early teens.
I was not a big fan of the RX, until I had a friend's RX 135 5 speed with me for sometime in Bangalore. Such a clean and nimble pocket rocket. Fell in love in with and bought it home. Weird, but the smell of 2 stroke exhausts gives me a high!
jeeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 10:43   #15
MHG
BHPian

I'd pay 150k for a 7hp (I don't care about the number itself) single seater motorcycle with ABS, traction control, fuel injection, dual disc brakes, ability to climb up 45 degree inclines, a wind deflecting visor (or a fairing of some sort achieving the same result), dual 60w projector headlamps, LED indicators, an instrument cluster with a 12v charger, tachometer, dual trip meters, gear indicator, ammeter, temperature gauge and fuel gauge along with a regular speedometer and odometer, hazard lamps (like in a car), a 6-speed or 7-speed gearbox with a close to 80km/h highway cruising speed (even if the acceleration to get there is slow), 100+ km/litre in cities, dual horns, a tall seating position, wide seats, comfortable off-roading abilities and a smart key with remote lock/unlock (like in cars). Unfortunately such a motorcycle does not exist.

Most people would think I'm crazy but I'd do this because I'm an engineer who respects modern technological advancements and I'm ready to pay a premium for them because to me that is practical.

Similarly there are bound to be enthusiasts who wouldn't mind paying 150k for a Yamaha RX135. I don't think I have any right to judge someone else's purchases when I myself would make crazy ones if given the right opportunity.
MHG is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks