Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2016, 13:13   #76
BHPian

Re: 1st bike for 100,000 rupees - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Regarding used bikes, if I have to pick a used one I would opt for Yamaha R15 only, be it v1.0 or v2.0. It is the benchmark for me, offers quality, power, handling, looks, reliability, technology, features, good ASS.
I will keep you all updated about future developments.
Hello,

A test ride will tell you everything. I ride an R15 currently and it is not comfortable in stop-go traffic. The riding position is too committed. But I don't mind that because of its great handling in moving traffic and manageable power. It is a great learner bike if you do want to graduate to bigger sportbikes in the future. So if you find a GOOD used one, go for it...but know what you're getting into.
I have test ridden the Gixxer as well as the Hornet and I feel that the hornet is the better bike. It just felt like the better bike to me in terms of usable power, handling and balance. I also liked it's looks. Buy the CBS version because the safer bike is the better bike. Don't get into this "I have 2 Hondas hence looking for another brand" thinking. Look at your bike as a stand alone product. After all, you are going to live with it for the next 7 years and use it on an almost daily basis. The Hornet will be good for you in this regard. It's got decent power, good handling (not the turn on a dime kind though), is comfortable and versatile. It looks better than all the other Hondas out there. And it's a Honda, a company which has sustained it's overall market in India primarily on the reliability of it's machines.

Last but not the least....Spend an amount equal to at least 10% of the OTR price on safety gear...Wish you safe and happy riding!!!

Hope that helps

Regards,
Indraneel
Indraneel Bhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 18:11   #77

My suggestion to you would be Bajaj Pulsar AS150, as it is a good bike and since it is a 150 cc capacity engine, fuel efficiency is also good.
Honda Unicorn is a decent bike but it seems more like a bike suitable for middle aged people, you will not find the sportiness and the urban appeal as you would in AS150.
Yamaha is a no go.
Old 15th April 2016, 13:13   #78
BHPian

Please do not buy any Suzuki bikes.

Very less number of service stations and the service intervals are bad. It is 1500 - 2000 kms.
As far as service intervals are concerned, Hero is good.

As someone already told, go for the Unicorn 150 (NOT unicorn 160). I heard they are going to re-launch it. Not sure if the news is true.

RE has lots of vibration issues and engine misfire issues. I would suggest you to stay away from REs.
Good luck!
Old 15th April 2016, 13:22   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

For your budget and usage i would suggest

1.Pulsar 180(Tried, tested ,reliable.See my signature )
2.Pulsar 150AS
3.Apache RTR
4.Suzuki Hornet(I am not sure if its under 1 lakh)
Old 15th April 2016, 13:34   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
For your budget and usage i would suggest

1.Pulsar 180(Tried, tested ,reliable.See my signature )
2.Pulsar 150AS
3.Apache RTR
4.Suzuki Hornet(I am not sure if its under 1 lakh)
It is Honda Hornet.
deemash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 14:17   #81
BHPian

My pick would be the FZS-FI.

The bike is stylish, yields good mileage & a pretty comfy rear seat

This is the kind of bike you might want to start touring. It can do 90+ all day and should return an FE of atleast 40. It wont be hard on your pocket (save the pocket money) and its backed by Yam's wide network of service outlets.
aviorp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 12:45   #82
BHPian

My 2 cents;
Given a lakh Rupees and asked to select a bike I would go for Gixxer SF with rear disc. Just launched at 88k Ex Showroom Delhi.
Other choice that runs very close is Fazer.

If you can stretch your budget even a little go for CBR150R or R15 or even Duke 200. They are all awsome bikes.
Old 20th April 2016, 12:50   #83
BHPian

Even I am going through the same dilemma - 1 Lakh Budget(can be stretched a little bit), Average built guy in mid 30's, FE could be in the range of 40's. After much of deliberations - have shortlisted three different body styles . And here are the nominees -
  • Avenger 220 Cruise - maneuvering through raised handle bars with in the city limits is a real pain. An option to change the handle bar with the previous gen model is available. Have done the TD with wife and found that the seats are very comfortable for both rider and pillion and power on tap is acceptable. The overall package is VFM. Recently Bajaj had introduced Light Golden color option - which looks cool as compared to the boring Black. Not considering the street version due to the all black look.
  • Yamaha R15S - Its like mind vs. heart. This what heart wants. So no pros, no cons
  • Apache 200 4V - Though the bike is still not available at the dealerships in NCR and might available for TD from the next month. So should wait till then. The initial reviews are positive and the bike looks good in flesh, have seen it at the auto expo.

Should atleast wait for the Apache to reach the dealers and the final decision will be taken after that.
kthrottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 13:02   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthrottle View Post
Even I am going through the same dilemma - 1 Lakh Budget(can be stretched a little bit), Average built guy in mid 30's, FE could be in the range of 40's. After much of deliberations - have shortlisted three different body styles . And here are the nominees -
You absolutely need to decide which kind of bike you want; cruiser/streetfighter/sport

The easiest to live with is a streetfighter. The new Apache RTR200 looks good so does the Pulsar 200NS. Duke 200 is well worth the extra money spent though you will lose out on pillion comfort.

Sportbikes are fun at high speeds. R15 is a classic example of an easy to live with starter sport bike. If you don't care about committed riding position, then you need to look at the RC200 it has taken the game much further than the R15.

Cruisers aren't really my thing. They are comfortable on long straight smooth stretches but I believe that the riding position limits your leverage over the bike thus proving a hindrance in emergency situations. To each, his own though
Old 20th April 2016, 14:10   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The easiest to live with is a streetfighter. The new Apache RTR200 looks good so does the Pulsar 200NS. Duke 200 is well worth the extra money spent though you will lose out on pillion comfort.
Even I am more inclined towards the new Apache. A recent review at youtube suggest that - it has a smooth engine as compared to the vibrating rtr 180.

Here is the link :
kthrottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 17:45   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthrottle View Post
This what heart wants. So no pros, no cons
I absolutely love this statement. It holds true for all my automotive purchases.

I am sure majority of the automotive buyers who are passionate will always go by that statement.

No matter how rational decision you take, if you go by the brain the heart will always complain. But if you buy what the heart wants, the brain will always cherish it !!!
Old 22nd April 2016, 22:20   #87
Senior - BHPian

It being a Friday, after a test drive of the Tiago at KHT in Domlur, on the way to work, saw the TVS showroom enroute. Stopped by and took a test ride of the RTR200. Since I own a D200 for nearly 2 years now there might be a few comparisons drawn in my opinion. Also since this thread has seen some recommendations from me and others for the RTR200, thought it better to ride it before recommending it. Below are some salient points:

1. Build quality - Examined the bike at stand still. Build quality is top notch for the price it is going for. Switch gear is typical TVS and very well built and good to use. The engine kill switch functions just as the name suggests - kills only the engine. In my D200, it even turns off the console (similar to turning off with the key).
2. Exhaust note - Just too good!! It is eargasmic to say the least. Even at idle it sounds real bassy and awesome. In motion there is no extra noise and the exhaust sounds great.
3. Ergonomics - Raised clip-on's are good. I am 6'0 and I could grip the tank with my thighs very well. Bike feels compact and you have good control with the clip-ons and the street fighter naked front (no bikini fairing either on this one). After around 10 mins in B2B traffic, shoulder felt a bit strained. It could be a point of just getting used to the new riding position which should happen over a few 100kms.
4. Engine - The engine compared to the previous iterations of the RTR is butter smooth. Revving it at stand still also does not induce any vibrations at the handle bars or foot pegs. In motion I did not feel any vibrations cruising around in the 4000-5000rpm range (this was the band in which the earlier RTR twins would give you a hand and foot massage). Even revving it till 7500rpm (at which point the shift indicator was set at) in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear did not induce any vibrations. So they have clearly got rid of that one bad point of the earlier bikes.
5. Ride and Handling - Nimble and sure footed. The bike i rode was shod with TVS Remora tyres. These are miles ahead of the TVS Srichakra on the earlier RTR. The handling is superb and you can zip ahead of traffic with ease. It is a point & shoot bike and should be no trouble in thick traffic. Suspension is very well set up to iron out road imperfections. It is not plush by any means but it is not rock hard and harsh as well. It is a well balanced suspension set up.
6. Braking - Front brakes are spot on and have an awesome initial bite and stopping power is very good. Did not use rear brakes much but they should be up to the mark.

One niggle i noticed on the test bike - The gear indicator is not as fast as you when you are changing gears. What i mean is, you change to second and you already know you are in 2nd gear but the console takes that 1-2 seconds more to show you that info.

The only grouse is the lack of power (compared to competition) and that missing 6th gear. As a stand alone, the RTR200 is a leap compared to the previous RTR's in terms of refinement and power. But considering that it has gained almost 10kgs over the RTR180 and managed only a 3.5BHP power gain, it negates the power gain with the added weight. It does not feel too different to the 180 albeit without the annoying vibes. Anyone looking to buy the 180 should close their eyes and get the 200 even if it costs a tad more. It is worth that extra money for the refinement and small bump in power.

Would i trade in my D200? Hell no!! The benchmark set by the KTM 200 is yet to be beaten by any mfg. till date. That light and powerful bike with spot on ergo's is meant to plaster a wide grin on your face the moment you twist the throttle be it in city or highways.
abhinav.s is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 07:03   #88
Senior - BHPian

swift_guy

Curious to know what you bought finally!
Old 14th June 2016, 02:54   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
...And as expected, I froze when I saw the blue R15 (1.35 Lac) on display. Wished that I could have her and went straight to home to hide the brochures and price lists!...

As I am typing this, I have fallen in love with the way the Black RTR 180 looks ...
Buy the bike which you are in love with! The budget can be tweaked a bit since you are sure to keep it for 7-8 years (or you may end up keeping it more). Don't buy anything just because of the budget. You'll always curse yourself for doing it and will never be happy.

The bike you love, will keep you happy every single day and you'll treat it with lot more care - which means a good life for the bike too.
Old 14th June 2016, 14:24   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
It being a Friday, after a test drive of the Tiago at KHT in Domlur, on the way to work, saw the TVS showroom enroute. Stopped by and took a test ride of the RTR200.
Where is this showroom exactly? I tried in couple of showrooms in Jaynagar & Mathikere, but they refused Test ride stating no vehicle available other than display one. The demand is so high that, they are not willing to keep a test ride vehicle and people seem to be booking even without riding! Three months for delivery - a first I'm listening from the TVS stable.

It was really funny hearing to the sales advisor, who was promoting the bike to glory. He compared the exhaust to the double barrel gun Sylvester Stallone carries in Rambo and said it sounds and look exactly the same
Mafioso is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks