Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2016, 11:15   #1
BHPian

1st bike for 100,000 rupees - Which one?

Hello folks. I am in the market for a 2 wheeler with a budget of Rs. 1 Lac tops. Have a look at my situation and give your suggestions and views on the bikes I have considered.

Requirements

1. Usage will be close to 650-700 kms a month, of which more than 500 kms would be on well-paved proper roads.
2. Durability is the main concern. Parents have made it clear that I will have to use this bike for the next 7-8 years minimum (with around 8400 kms total running) and they are expecting minimal maintenance costs. Spare part availability (at grey market if not service stations) should not be an issue.
3. I am more inclined towards feature loaded bikes like Apache or plain jane FZ series. Any bike which returns more than 35 kmpl is fine.
4. Being my first bike, I am not considering power, comfort and handling as I am expecting these 3 to be much better than my gearless scoots. Also I would adapt to my bike as it is my first bike, so low-mid range bike (like FZ) is as good as a mid-top range bike (like AS150).
5. I am okay with changing other consumables but not sure if I would get some engine work done. So a reliable engine is one of the main requirements. Services will be done by an experienced mechanic after the free services are over () and so parts should be easily available.

Options

Hero, Honda, Yamaha, TVS, Bajaj and Suzuki are the major players in my price range.

1. Hero Karizma R is on my list due to the VFM proposition on offer, and decent reliability of 223cc engine. Increased compression in 2014 version makes me doubt about the refinement and reliability of the engine, though I am okay with the way it looks. LED taillamps, pilot lamps and super sexy clip-ons are in its favour. After some sweet discounts, the price might land at 82k on road.

2. Honda has no good bikes in its stable except the CBR twins. Hornet might suffer with the same fate as that of Dazzler and Twister. Moreover, I am looking for a change as I have 2 Hondas at home (Activa, Aviator).

3. Yamaha has FZ v1, FZ v2 and Fazer v2 in production. Since I have no touring needs, a carb is preferred over fuel injection. FI variants are grossly overpriced at 92k for FZ v2 and 97k for Fazer v2. Hence the only strong contender is the FZ16 v1, which is around 83k on road. Yamaha reliability and street fighter styling are in its favour, while lack of LEDs taillights, an attractive speedo console and age old design are major drawbacks.

4. TVS Apache RTR 160 is under consideration. Single disc version costs 82k and additional 3k gets you a rear disc as well. Refinement and durability is the major concern, otherwise Apache seems like a perfect bike with supercool speedo console, LED taillights, clip-ons, exhaust note and so on.

5. Bajaj has been bashed all around for reliability and plastic quality. AS150 (90k on road) and Pulsar 220F (99k) are major competitors. They offer great styling, features and power but reliability is still a drawback as compared to other brands. Another problem with AS150 is seat height, I am only able to place my toes on the ground and not the entire feet (one at a time) as I did in Pulsar 220. Pulsar 220F has an added advantage of power in reserve that will keep me happy for years to come! Avenger is not under consideration as I am not looking for cruisers.

6. Suzuki Gixxer twins have been highly overrated in test ride reviews. I rode my friend's Gixxer and didn't find anything to be very special as compared to the Yamaha. Gixxer SF strikes a chord due to the full fairing and I am considering it. It comes at around 95k on road (for MotoGP edition) and 93k for normal ones. It has features, good styling and is a VFM proposition but lacks in ASS quality and network. If reliability is not an issue, I might consider one as the seat height (780mm) meant that I could rest my feet flat on the ground (both at a time). I didn't like the front end on the Gixxer (naked).

Now the twist is that my Dad is inclined towards RE for their durability and robust image. He said that we can consider upto the Electra 350 in case I am okay with its size (and weight). Considering the fact that a 150kg Karizma becomes heavy to manage in parking spots for me, I have doubts if I would be able to handle the Electra.

Purchase will be in May, after 15th, when my exams get over.
swift_guy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 11:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: 1st bike for 100,000 rupees - Which one?

I will probably be termed a kill-joy for doing this, but here goes. Since you are still a student, I am assuming your parents are paying for the bike. On top of it, they want you to use it for the next 7 - 8 years. It is your first bike. You may have two Hondas in your stable, but I would still advise you to buy a plain vanilla Unicorn 150 and enjoy the ride.

It may be an old product, but it is a very good bike nevertheless. You will not have any problems in fuel efficiency, reliability or maintenance.

When I was your age, I did not do the right thing. I wish you do. And no matter what you buy, forget RE as your first bike, and that too when your parents are paying for it.

Last edited by bblost : 7th April 2016 at 14:12. Reason: as requested.
Viju is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 11:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Does the Apache come with ABS? The RTR 180 should be an option though it may be slightly above 1L. My order of pick would the RTR 180, Karizma R and then the FZ1. (Check R15 and R15S as well since you are now considering the Electra)

All the above bikes probably belong to one segment and then there is Electra.The Electra is a completely different segment and cannot be compared. If you are even remotely leaning on used bikes, check out the KTM 200 in the used market. You can actually forget about all the above bikes for the 200 will give you major smiles per miles.

Last edited by GTO : 8th April 2016 at 13:57. Reason: Typo
VW2010 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 11:45   #4
BHPian

Based on the options you have provided, my pick would be the TVS Apache. I would recommend you check out the new RTR 200. This is said to have been tuned specifically for mid range grunt. I think it would be around the 1 lakh price range as well.

I would leave out the other options because of these reasons.

1) Hero Karizma R - Too old and awkward looks. If you are looking to keep your bike for a longer time then you'd do well to ignore this. As exciting as a cardboard box.

2) Honda - Hornet looks good but you are looking for manufacturers.

3) Yamaha - Though it looks good, you are right, it is quite old and there are plenty on the roads already.

4) TVS - Reliability is not an issue. The parts quality is significantly better than what Bajaj or even Honda offers. And if you go for the 200, you will be buying a "new" motorcycle. Not just a sticker job.

5) Bajaj - Looks good on paper, less so on the road. High maintenance and poor parts quality. Since you will be using the bike quite a bit, avoid the Bajaj.

6) Suzuki - Good bike. Poor after sales support with less number of service stations. If you have one close by, then you can consider it.

7) RE - Durable but not reliable. Especially the models you are considering.

If I was in your position, I'd go for the new TVS Apache RTR 200.

P.S - Prefer and go the motorcycle which offers you ABS. This would be a huge help since you aren't used to riding bikes.
Seeing your new motorcycle on the ground with bruises isn't a nice feeling.

Last edited by NiXTriX2004 : 7th April 2016 at 12:15. Reason: Adding safety tip
NiXTriX2004 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 11:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

1. Don't think too much about weight of the bike. You will manage it.
2. As this is a first bike, a 150cc would be good for getting to know biking.
3. My suggestion - Honda 150cc, Hero CBZ sports, or ZMA (as I think it is a great deal at similar cost of gixxer fully faired).

Select a class of bikes 150cc/above 200cc/RE etc first, then we can help you. Don't ride without helmet/license ever. Welcome to the world of motorcycling.
ani_meher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 11:46   #6
BHPian

My honest advice, stay away from the karizma the new karizma has nothing that the old karizma offered,i have had rides ranging to 150 kms on the new one and hated it to the core for the poor refinement and loads of vibraton, mind you I own the older version and its miles ahead even after 10 years.

For a student, i would strongly suggest the unicorn, its super smooth and will keep you happy for years to come.All you will need is regular oil change and your good to go, for this very reason i picked up a used unicorn and inspite of thrashing it around all day it still holds strong,its a simple bike and you could as well do the maintenance yourself.

I am not to sure if the RE would a right step.

Think wisely and go for the least bothersome bike.

Last edited by GTO : 8th April 2016 at 13:58. Reason: Typo
scorpian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 12:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Hello folks. I am in the market for a 2 wheeler with a budget of Rs. 1 Lac tops. Have a look at my situation and give your suggestions and views on the bikes I have considered.

Requirements

1. Usage will be close to 650-700 kms a month, of which more than 500 kms would be on well-paved proper roads.
2. Durability is the main concern. Parents have made it clear that I will have to use this bike for the next 7-8 years minimum (with around 8400 kms total running) and they are expecting minimal maintenance costs. Spare part availability (at grey market if not service stations) should not be an issue.
Options

Hero, Honda, Yamaha, TVS, Bajaj and Suzuki are the major players in my price range.

1. Hero Karizma R
2. Honda
4. TVS Apache RTR 160 is under consideration.
6. Suzuki
Now the twist is that my Dad is inclined towards RE for their
1. You can try Hero Hunk and CBZ xtreme , I have a 2010 xtreme and its quite easy on the pocket.
2. Honda : As some people suggested , you can buy the good old unicorn , never fails to work . Very reliable .
4. Apache , not a bad choice , but I heard there are lot of vibration issues.
6. Apart from the Gixxer , you can also try the GS 150R

Not sure how you consider RE as a durable or reliable bike. Every RE is unique in its own way and has its share of reliability issues. On the other hand , are you sure you will be able to handle the weight of a bullet especially when it has a flat tyre ?
girimajiananth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 12:29   #8
BHPian

Thanks for all the prompt and informative replies.

Viju - Yes, my parents are paying for it and that is why I have a 1 Lac maximum budget in my mind. They are basically saying "Get whatever you like" and I know they would even get me the R15 (1.35 Lac) after some haggling but I myself do not want to put much burden on them.

VW2010 - Yes Apache RTR 180 has optional ABS but dealers are not sure of availability. It would cost very close to 1 Lac, for what is essentially the same 82k rupee bike with added ABS tech. As a beginner, some people are telling me to opt for non-ABS bikes to improve my riding and braking skills. They say that normal brake tech will help much better in learning as I will not be having any electronic tech to help me and correct my mistakes. Don't know if it is true or not.

We are considering Electra only for the sake of a reliable RE. I personally won't opt for a new 1 Lac+ bike (other than RE) as a first timer. And no used bikes, especially the Duke 200 (with that hooligan nature, acceleration, stunting capabilities) as I am pretty sure that finding a good less-abused piece would be very difficult.

ani_meher - I am not looking into performance and hence can't exactly shortlist one class. Anything which returns more than 35 km to a litre is under consideration. Generally speaking, a 150-200cc bike would be my preference. And I agree Karizma R is a steal (at the price of Gixxer naked, i.e. under 85k due to discounts). I am a very law-abiding person and have licence and used helmet, gloves, etc. even for my Activa and Aviator. No need to worry.

scorpian - Would you recommend the new Karizma R for short rides? I am not planning for long rides (or tours, for which the old Karizma was a perfect choice) but a lot of quick 20-40 km short rides at a stretch. I have heard that the engine has a good low-mid range and is reliable. I am inclined towards it but it is the parts availability that is keeping me away.

girimajiananth - RE has a good brand image, and for older generation like my parents, other bikes like R15, Duke, etc. are plastic craps. REs are not reliable but they are a lot more durable as compared to other brands. To top it all, they hold their value very well and this means I can expect 45-50k easily for an Electra 8 years down the line. And you are right, even I am not sure if RE would be fit for my size (vice-versa actually ).

nixtrix2004 - Apache RTR200 is around 1 Lac for non-ABS carb version. Not sure if I would go for a naked bike at that price. Apache 160 at 82k feels good VFM. And I agree to all your points except the Karizma. Why isn't is good for the long term? And Suzuki has only one dealership in my area which is around 9-10 kms from my house. Not sure where I would have to go incase it closes down!

- - - - - - - - - -

It seems like Honda Unicorn is a hot favourite among bikers. I don't know why but I feel Unicorn is a very commuter-ish bike and not exactly what a college-going youth would consider. Instead I might consider the Hornet.

Last edited by swift_guy : 7th April 2016 at 12:35.
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 12:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Do give the new Avenger a try, especially the 220 one. Costs roughly 94 on road here in Pune.
A colleague bought it and I drove it around. Was mighty impressed with it. You will also not have any height issues with it.
Just remember that this is a cruiser and cannot take slant turns on corners.

You will see a lot of old Avengers still plying on the road without much issues.
Take a test drive and see.

If you are yourself not too much of a bullet fan, give RE a pass. Only a fanboy can handle the tantrums thrown by RE. Clutch cables snapping, frequent visits to the garage to tighten the chain, etc. I would not exactly call it reliable.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 7th April 2016 at 12:44.
vinit.merchant is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 13:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Do give the new Avenger a try, especially the 220 one. Costs roughly 94 on road here in Pune.
A colleague bought it and I drove it around. Was mighty impressed with it. You will also not have any height issues with it.
Just remember that this is a cruiser and cannot take slant turns on corners.

You will see a lot of old Avengers still plying on the road without much issues.
Take a test drive and see.

If you are yourself not too much of a bullet fan, give RE a pass. Only a fanboy can handle the tantrums thrown by RE. Clutch cables snapping, frequent visits to the garage to tighten the chain, etc. I would not exactly call it reliable.
I may consider Avenger, but the 150cc one as it is available in blue shade. Don't know if it is really VFM at 85k on road especially when you can have AS150 at 90k on road. And you are right about the number of Avengers on road, and most of them seem to be doing well. Is the Bajaj-durability point valid in current generation of bikes or was an issue only in early gen Pulsars? Or is it that Avengers are better built than other Bajaj bikes? I personally like the design of the Avenger Street, but will seriously need a silencer change as I hate that commuter-bike sound from a cruiser. Any options?

To be true, my parents are a bit conservative and believe in numerology and colour thingy. I am not allowed a white, red or black vehicle. I know all this is BS but I had 3 accidents within one year of owning a white Activa, for which I had somehow convinced my parents for the colour during purchase. So it is going to be some other colour than Red, Black and White.
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 13:19   #11
BHPian

See the new karizma has lost all its glory once the tie up with honda ended, parts quality has dropped,finishing and performance has dropped.

So please reconsider,personally the new look isnt anything inspiring.

I would still suggest the unicorn or another idea is to pick up a used karizma, a well maintained decent karizma would cost you very less, a good service and your good to go.

Please do consider this option.
scorpian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 13:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VW2010 - Yes Apache RTR 180 has optional ABS but dealers are not sure of availability. It would cost very close to 1 Lac, for what is essentially the same 82k rupee bike with added ABS tech. As a beginner, some people are telling me to opt for non-ABS bikes to improve my riding and braking skills. They say that normal brake tech will help much better in learning as I will not be having any electronic tech to help me and correct my mistakes. Don't know if it is true or not.
That must be the greatest load of bull one has ever advised at least from my personal point of view. If this makes sense then one should start with earliest motorcycle and learn everything else. There is a reason these equipment's provide additional safety specially for new riders. In fact it makes sense for all new riders to pick up something that has features that will provide maximum assistance in case of emergency.

Quote:
Only a fanboy can handle the tantrums thrown by RE. Clutch cables snapping, frequent visits to the garage to tighten the chain, etc. I would not exactly call it reliable.
It also sometimes teaches you to know the machine and start fixing things on your own. If you are someone who diligently cleans your bike you shouldn't worry about these tantrums. On the other hand if you are someone who would only visit the service center even for a water wash, stay away from an RE.
VW2010 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 13:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Thanks for all the prompt and informative replies.

nixtrix2004 - Apache RTR200 is around 1 Lac for non-ABS carb version. Not sure if I would go for a naked bike at that price. Apache 160 at 82k feels good VFM. And I agree to all your points except the Karizma. Why isn't is good for the long term? And Suzuki has only one dealership in my area which is around 9-10 kms from my house. Not sure where I would have to go incase it closes down!
......Instead I might consider the Hornet.
I don't understand what difference a fairing makes for these bikes. In fact it would be more of hassle maintaining them without any scratches.
ABS is definitely worth its weight in gold. 5 or 10 thousand rupees is nothing compared to damage to your body. Trust me, I am speaking from experience.

Improving riding skills and all isn't going to happen by just riding a non ABS bike. ABS is going to be mandatory come 2017 anyway.
If you are really interested in improving your riding skill, sign up for a riding school. There is no substitute for experience and practice and the safest way to get it is, on the track.
NiXTriX2004 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 13:59   #14
BHPian

Hi there,

Since your parents are OK with prices of Electra range, I would suggest you to consider R15. (split seat v2 of the latest single seat one). Its still a good looking bike and good handler too.

Hey you are a college going guy and as per you, a safe rider, why not something stylish? I would suggest you to avoid the commuter-ish unicorn/hunk/GS150R etc

Also I don't think anything from Hero stable does look good with their current styling.(no offence to the owners).

Apache with ABS is also a good VFM bike
Also I feel Avenger series are too very good, Less plastic parts, so less worry on Bajaj parts quality.

Do test ride all the bikes and take a good decision. I think, with the technologies having advanced, all bikes you have listed will be reliable for 7-8 year period and more, if you maintain them properly. I have seen many mint condition Pulsars and Apache's that are from the first generation.

My suggestion : R15-Apache RTR with ABS-Avenger-Gixxer-everything else

Last edited by GTO : 8th April 2016 at 15:37. Reason: Typos
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 7th April 2016, 14:30   #15
BHPian

Hi.

I went through the same dilemma when I had to choose a bike for myself after my 12th exams in 2009. Finally I went with CBZ Xtreme, and it has served me well in the last 7 years, clocking around 60,000 kms and still going strong. Just my 2 cents here:

Out of the bikes which you are considering, I would suggest you to go for new Apache 200. It's new, styling is good, performance is at par or better than the competitors as it has a rev-happy engine. The only thing you should think about is that it's a bit cramped if compared to Pulsar or Karizma, but the relatively small foot print helps in better handling.

1. Since you want to keep your bike for next 7-8 years, Karizma is no good. No doubt it's a legendary motorcycle but in the newer Karizma's vibration is high and Hero has stopped the production and it should be replaced with HX250R soon. So no use of going for a defunct product.

2. Honda Unicorn is a commuter bike but it is reliable as anything, so if you only want reliability and if you are happy with it's plain looks, then you can go for it.

3. Yamaha FZ is too common, and in my opinion Suzuki Gixxer is better in terms of power delivery and handling. But since, Suzuki is not very common and you have only a handful of dealers, you may want to skip it.

4. Royal Enfield is good and it evokes a sense of indestructible feeling but owning a RE without prior experience with bikes can be quite a task. So if you are not hell bent on it, don't go for it because a RE needs your time and patience, it's not fill it, shut it, and forget it.

5. You can have a look at P180 or P220, it has power and still looks good, especially in black color, despite being a older design. And Bajaj products are now more reliable than what they were earlier.

6. Lastly you can also have a look at Hero Xtreme. It has power, it's comfortable even on long journeys and the new versions offer a number of goodies. The styling may be a bit quirky but that's a personal choice.

Thanks in advance.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks