Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Royal Enfield Himalayan or something else?
Royal Enfield Himalayan 50 36.23%
Mahindra Mojo 15 10.87%
KTM Duke 200/390 10 7.25%
Other bikes from the RE stable (e.g Thunderbird 500) 11 7.97%
Save $$$ for a bigger ADV tourer (e.g Versys 650) 37 26.81%
Something else(Please specify) 15 10.87%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2016, 15:14   #16
BHPian

Re: Tourer: Royal Enfield Himalayan vs the others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Err, there is a cheaper option than R3 and Ninja 300, not as fast and exciting but does have ABS, for touring I would pick on this.

There should be a certain price band to decide though, someone who can afford a Ninja 300, 9 out of 10 times, he or she won't even look at the CBR 250R, ABS or not.
Well the argument for CBR over Ninja/R3 can be extended to RS200 and can be said that RS is a better option as it costs significantly less, has ABS and only down on power by only 2 HP.
Therefore, I feel no.s won't alone help one to decide and what is needed is some quality time riding these bikes on the highways and finding out how they make one feel

P.S - I do wish R3/Ninja came with ABS, its a drawback I missed in my argument, although the brakes themselves in my R3 are brilliant.
Aniket6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 15:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Chose the 'save and go for a bigger ADV tourer' option.

I had mentioned in the Himalayan test rides thread that this bike makes more sense for bike rentals up North and few down south as well.
For some one like me who does most of the riding on road, this does not make sense and if it had to, it required more power.
Or, the other option being, using it as an exclusive off road bike which is a whole lot more fun than riding it loaded on a trip.

The other day I got a chance to ride on some dug up dirt in front of my place. The road was dug along the footpath and covered which left a mound of dirt which was soft. I rode the Himalayan right over it lengthwise and it just kept going like how a normal bike would ride on road.It was perfect and the best part being , the bike is forgiving to all the stunts you want to try on dirt.
Rode standing on the pegs and the position was so good,it felt better than sitting on the seat.
It something like having a 4x4 in the garage for those fun days.

Also to note is the the rear suspension sags as soon as the bike has two on board, it is very visible as the gap between the rear fender and wheel reduced a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Tourer: Royal Enfield Himalayan vs the others-img_20160405_173014.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 11th April 2016 at 15:41.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 08:00   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
Well the argument for CBR over Ninja/R3 can be extended to RS200 and can be said that RS is a better option as it costs significantly less, has ABS and only down on power by only 2 HP.
Err, not really. RS200 has very committed riding position, too small a tank and the ergos too won't support touring.

I am not saying guys won't or can't tour in the KTM RS200, just that the 250R by Honda does the job better.
Old 12th April 2016, 08:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Err, not really. RS200 has very committed riding position, too small a tank and the ergos too won't support touring.

I am not saying guys won't or can't tour in the KTM RS200, just that the 250R by Honda does the job better.
Haven't ridden them back to back, but I found both bikes to have very relaxed ergos. The RS200 had some pretty high-set clip ons and seemed way less aggressive than an R15 to me. Thought it ought to do the job of touring well just like the Honda albeit in a less refined manner. Though I won't ever be able to appreciate its styling
Old 12th April 2016, 08:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:

RS200 has more relaxed riding position compared to the CBR, thats what I find. Many reviews on RS do suggest comfy riding position as well. Tank size for both is about 13L and since RS is more efficient, it has better range too. Ergo are touring friendly and headlights for night riding as just brilliant. Of course the CBR is a better bike overall but isnt as vfm as a RS200 I feel.

Mojo is another fun bike costing lesser than a CBR, sounds awesome and makes more power too with a 21L tank.

I confess that CBR would have been my default choice 5 years ago but now I find almost equally capable bikes in a price band lower and more exciting bikes like the Ninja/R3 in a price band higher.
Aniket6 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 09:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:

I guess you mean RC200/390(KTM) and not RS200(Bajaj). RS200 does not have very committed riding position, RC series has it.
Engine_Roars is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 11:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

The BAJAJ PULSAR CS400 appears to be very interesting to me as a HIGHWAY TOURER.

payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 15:37   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
I guess you mean RC200/390(KTM) and not RS200(Bajaj). RS200 does not have very committed riding position, RC series has it.
Oops, yes. I meant KTM RC series & not Bajaj RS faired bike.

Thanks for pointing out.
Old 25th April 2016, 20:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

The guys over at OD have decided to pit the three bikes against eachother too:

IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 14:46   #25
BHPian

Confused for a Adventure Tourer

so, I live in Indore and very recently someone I know did a leh-laddakh road trip. As you know, when you meet someone who does a leh-laddakh trip, it tends to be contagious and you get the leh laddakh bug too.

I got hit with the bug and to make the matters worse I saw the motovlog done by Mumbiker Nikhil (mumbai to leh laddakh) and i plan to a trip in 2017

Leh laddakh not being the only long distance trip that I wanna do, there are a number of places I wanna visit on a bike.

Now, I am in the market for a new bike and I have cut my options down to two

1. Royal Enfield Himalayan
Tourer: Royal Enfield Himalayan vs the others-royalenfieldhimalayan561.jpg

2. Mahindra Mojo

Tourer: Royal Enfield Himalayan vs the others-mahindramojo_827x510_51444369978.jpg

Which is a better choice?
should i wait for anythng else?

p.s: I am not a fan of KTM's so i haven't considered it.

Mods: please merge with any other post if suitable.

Thank you
Old 19th August 2016, 15:33   #26
BHPian

Re: Confused for a Adventure Tourer

I think it would help to jot down reasons for selecting both these bikes - the pros and cons of each. Then prioritise what's more important to you and decide. Take test ride of both the bikes.
Considering that people have been to Khardung-La on a kinetic honda, it shouldn't matter whether you choose one over the other.

If you ask me, I would go for the Himalayan purely because of looks and the additional power. Also the bike is designed to be an adventure bike with a simple setup.
Old 19th August 2016, 16:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Tanuj - Since you will go in 2017, chill for now. Wait till 2017 March and then buy.

Knowing how proactive RE is these days, you would quite likely, see a quietly improved Himalayan launched by then (just as the 500 etc saw niggles being sorted out).

Else the Mojo is a good option if you must scratch the itch today. But check for any posture / comfort issues on nearby bad roads.

@farhad - The KiHo comparison is irrelevant. He can even take a lawn mower there but will it be quick, comfortable, reliable? no!
e.g I have also done Spiti to Delhi in two days incl. across a frozen Malling Nallah on my CBR250. But do i recommend it? Hell no. It aggravated my latent carpal tunnel syndrome resulting in almost 2 weeks of downtime, five months of physiotherapy (over 50k), and now I've retrofitted a Machismo handlebar on the CBR.
phamilyman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 16:38   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
and now I've retrofitted a Machismo handlebar on the CBR.
Pics please. Seriously.
farhadtarapore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 16:48   #29
BHPian

I know i sound pretty naive and stupid. But, this has just come up from top of my head.

My basic idea of asking this question was of which bike is better. Period.
Old 19th August 2016, 16:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanuj_afc View Post
Now, I am in the market for a new bike and I have cut my options down to two

1. Royal Enfield Himalayan
2. Mahindra Mojo

Which is a better choice?
should i wait for anythng else?

p.s: I am not a fan of KTM's so i haven't considered it.
Now, that's some dilemma, isn't it. I kinda get why the KTM's aren't in this shortlist. As for which is the better between the Himalayan & the Mojo - that's for you to decide. But, here's what i can tell you having spent time with both of them.

Why you'll love about the Himalayan:

i) that commanding view from the saddle
ii) the cushy saddle itself
iii) space for both, rider & pillion
iv) the supple ride quality & the handling
v) the industrial-minimalist styling
vi) it is a no-tech piece of machinery, so very little to go wrong, that can't be fixed, easily
vii) it is a Royal Enfield, which means that you're never beyond spares & maintenance support in most cases.

Why you might not like the Himalayan:

i) the uncertainty over the engine
ii) lower than expected power & torque
iii) it feels a bit crude among its peers
iv) it is a Royal Enfield, so Quality niggles are part of the package

Now about the Mojo - Why you'll love it:

i) the butter smooth engine
ii) the grip of the Pirelli tires
iii) that exhaust note
iv) great, all-day performance
v) huge tank-capacity, means lesser fuel-stops
vi) sturdy build quality, it can handle a good deal of abuse without breaking down

Why you might not like the Mojo:

i) lack of space for the pillion
ii) the uncertainty of after-sales support vis-a-vis Royal Enfield
iii) the styling can be polarising
iv) expensive (not VFM enough)?

If you want a tourer now, then choosing between the REH & the Mojo is what you ought to do. As to waiting for something better, remember that the lure of the next best thing is always around.

Cheers
St. Anger is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks