Team-BHP - From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/174911-xuv500-ertiga-avenger-ktm-duke-200-how-i-fell-love-orange.html)

Disclaimer: I am not good at narration/writing however this is my ownership review in my own words. I have tried my best to retain the high quality of TBHP content. This is my second thread which I plan to keep active for long time. Here is the link to my first thread. Some of the photos and information used in this ownership thread are used from Google and/or other relevant websites and respective owners may have the copyright. Some of the observations, opinions are personal and based on my knowledge.

Strange title huh. But that’s what has happened with me. Over last six months I have actually gone through this ordeal :D

This is my story and I am going to enjoy every moment.

Before I jump into the story here’s my current garage.

Maruti Suzuki Swift Zxi (aka Silver Arrow) – Aug 2008

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-silver-arrow-1.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-silver-arrow-2.jpg

Montra Blues 1.1 (just my bicycle) – Jul 2014

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-bicycle.jpg

We have two more support vehicles in my family,
TVS Scooty ES (aka Safety Car) – April 2004
TVS Wego (aka Medical car) – May 2012

With the addition of another member to the family in 2012, my family size increased to 6. No, I don’t have four kids, I still live with my parents. They have been the major support system in this crazy world. I was desperately thinking of upgrading to a 7-seater car. XUV5OO was my default choice for 7-seater. I loved everything about this car. It was a dream car after my Silver Arrow. Back in 2014, I test drove the car and came very close to booking it. However due to some other priorities the decision was put on hold. Kept waiting for right time. Then came to know about Mahindra giving complete makeover to XUV in 2015. My long pending dream suddenly became active. Then one day the photos of 2015 XUV surfaced on TBHP and I was overjoyed. With the addition of W10, it was like dream come true. However it was missing the automatic.

Last week of November 2015: Test drove the new XUV5OO three times (two times single and once with family). To my surprise, my family rejected the car straight away. I am not going in the details for now. Will share on request.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-mahindraxuv500facelift28.jpg

From Mahindra showroom we went to a nearby Maruti showroom. Wifey wanted to check Ertiga. Boy oh boy, Maruti knows how to design their cars and they exactly know the Indian mind set. Maruti has recently launched the ZDI+ SHVS Ertiga. The test drive was simply awesome. Family loved it. Even I liked the overall package and I was saving whopping 8 lakhs compared to XUV. Ertiga was also achieving my main criteria’s (7 seats, ABS, Airbags). For me it was heart on XUV but mind on Ertiga. I kept thinking for few more days. Unable to make the decision I decided to wait for few more days. Once again some other priorities were on top of the list.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-ertiga.jpg

Fast forward to 2nd March 2016: One fine day in the office my colleague told me he wants to sell his newly purchased (2016) Bajaj Avenger which hardly has done any mileage, mere 800 kms. I was like, what happened. The bike is not practical for city use was his main reason. I causally asked him how much he is expecting. 85k came the response. That’s when the thought strike my mind. Why not get a bike for self? I have been using my Silver Arrow as my primary vehicle for last two years. I was looking for change and a bike would be something different. I am in my late thirties and by god’s grace still have lot of hair on my head. The very next moment I was frantically searching TBHP for 2016 Avenger. Overall the reviews has given very high rating to the new Avenger. Told my friend I am interested and he can bring the bike to office. For next two days he did not bring the bike to office.

Following weekend visited nearest Bajaj showroom to take a test drive. Avenger Street 220 looked awesome in flesh. The quality was top notch and it definitely looked premium. The bike felt comfortable to ride. Power was okay, sitting was comfortable and handling was spot on. The on road price was below 1 lakh which I felt is a sweet deal. Price breakup;

Unable to control my emotions called up my friend and went to his home. The moment I saw his bike, BIG disappointment. It was a Avenger 220 Cruise with all the shiny chrome. Bajaj has gone really overboard by adding so much chrome. It was my mistake that I did not ask him about which model he owns. Took a customary test ride of his bike. Told him that I am looking for Street 220. Left his house with disappointed heart.

I was already sold to Avenger Street. Same day I tossed the idea of bike to wifey. She was like bike? At this age? Told her about Avenger and how both of us can go on long rides. Surprisingly she gave a go ahead and I decided to make the booking. Next few days were really hectic as I had to give attention to my sole source of income. I was loaded with work at office. I work in so called the IT industry of the India. But my heart is always in cars and bikes or to that matter anything which has wheels and which moves.

Reading TBHP every day for half an hour is my daily ritual.

Avenger Street

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-avenger-street.jpg

Avenger Cruise. Look at the chrome. You need sun glasses to look at the bike in bright sun light.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-avenger-cruise.jpg

14th March 2016: Another fine day in office my buddy in office was looking at KTM website. We both work in same project and share the desk as well. He is well aware about my enthusiasm for cars and bikes so he casually asked me, what is this KTM? I told him about KTM and what kind of bikes they manufacture. After showing him different photos of the Duke I told him that Bajaj holds 49% stake in KTM and the bikes are manufactured in our very own Pune. He was like are you kidding me? Next few days we continued KTM discussion, the design philosophy, India presence etc. And why he should get a Duke or RC. BTW, the Avenger booking got delayed but it was still on my mind.

I shared few KTM wallpapers with my buddy on the same day. Not aware that these wallpapers would play a critical role later.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-b2_22.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-2012ktm200dukea.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-ktm_200_duke_india_4.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-ktm200duke03.jpg

One day I bumped in the My2016 KTM thread (Link). It was 18th March and again my buddy was browsing KTM website looking at Duke.

Me: Arre kiti wela baghshil? Book karun tak (How many time you will look at the bike, just go ahead and book)

Buddy: I am happy with my HH Passion

Me: But this is KTM, it’s orange, it has this distinct image. No one in our office has a KTM.

Buddy: So what. I saw a Duke 390 yesterday in the parking it looked really awesome. I have not seen these bikes too often on roads

Me: If you buy, I will also buy with you

Buddy: maja karu nakos re (Don’t make fun)

Me: I am serious

That was the end of the conversation.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-ktmlogo.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-ktm-readytorace_typeonly_richblk.jpg

End of Part 1

Flash back to November 2013
I was extremely excited when KTM was launched in India in 2012. Visited the KTM Wakdewadi showroom to check out the Duke. For next few months every Auto Magazine, Auto Portal carried the image of a wheelie on the Duke. Everyone was talking about, how the bike has changed the Indian auto industry.

I was really blown away during the test ride. The sheer power, the aggressive yet comfortable sitting position, the overall design, top notch build quality, extremely awesome and unique exhaust note. There was something special about this bike. Something different. I have never seen a bike having such sharp lines, edges and still able to carry it with ease. However after consulting with wifey felt that bike is very expensive and considering the mileage and overall maintenance cost decided to wait. So no decision was made.

Coming back to the story.
19th March 2016:
Decided to visit KTM Nal stop showroom to check out the MY2016 Duke. Nal stop showroom is located exactly at the busy Nal stop signal. I was super exited. It’s comparatively small showroom with the workshop right behind it. You can actually see the bikes being serviced from the showroom as they have put up glass partition. Was greeted by the SA. I asked the usual questions just to pass time. On the display they had three Dukes. One of them hanging from the roof. NICE. I validated the MY2016 upgrades and SA also confirmed the same. TD bike was out and he requested to come on Sunday. Took the quotation, brochure and I was out within 10 minutes.

Duke product brochure

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-brochure.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-brochure2.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-brochure3.jpg

Nal stop KTM quotation

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-quotation.jpg

Sent the quotation to my buddy on Whatsapp. He was like, you really visited the KTM showroom?

Over next two days went through most of the Duke 200 ownership threads (AGAIN). I was thinking about KTM every moment and having tough time sleeping in the night.

21st March 2016:
In the office I was eagerly waiting for my buddy. Wanted to discuss about my KTM showroom visit.

Me: I visited the KTM showroom. The Duke looks amazing. Boy oh boy it has lot of road presence. 390 looks even better.

Buddy: That’s a lot of money. Is the bike available?

Me: I know the cost is high but we live only once. If we don’t do it now when will we do it? At the age of 50?

Buddy: Hmm. (This made him think seriously)

Me: Let’s do one thing, Nal Stop KTM is comparatively new. Let’s go to Wakdewadi KTM and check what’s the price they are offering. Don’t worry I will take you.

Made a quick call to Wakdewadi KTM to confirm they are open on Monday. We had lunch early and quietly sneaked out of office.

Reached KTM around 1 pm. At the entrance they have this nice display of all the Bajaj bikes including KTM. My buddy was completely amazed. Went upstairs and met the SA.

This KTM showroom is completely different than Nal stop. This is huge with KTM branding done tastefully. They had three Duke 200, Two 390, One RC 390 and Ninja 300 on display. I could sense the excitement my buddy was feeling. I asked the usual questions to SA. His name was Sagar. He was courteous and helpful. When I inquired about the RTO registration price hike from 29th March, he confirmed. Price of Duke 200 is going to increase by around 3000 to 4000 Rs after 29th March.

We asked for Test Ride and he immediately took us to ground floor. The test ride was a joke. SA asked us to test ride within the building premise. Can you imagine taking a test ride of 200 CC bike in a close enclosure. Few days ago one tom dick came for ninja test ride and met an accident damaging the ninja worth 60k. That’s when they stopped test ride on the road.

During the TD one funny thing happened. While my friend was taking the TD, SA saw my Silver Arrow with TBHP sticker at the back. He asked what’s this TBHP? I have seen it on many vehicles. With a grinning smile I explained him about TBHP. Feels simply awesome to be part of the best Auto community in this world.

After the TD, both of us were looking at each other and were waiting for one of us to break the ice. We asked for quotation. I bargained really hard with SA. At times asked him to allow us to meet his manager. We told them about purchase of two bikes instead of one and finally they agreed to give 1000 Rs. cash discount (per bike) + Freebies (KTM Body cover & Key chain).

Me: What?

Buddy: So?

Me: Let’s book (when your mind and heart is already sold, then anything else doesn’t matter)

SA: Sir laukar book kara ani processing suru kara mhanje currenr price la milel (sir, please book asap and start the processing so that you will get at current price)

Me: What’s the booking amount?

SA: 5000 Rs.

Me and Buddy searching our wallet and found out that we have only 1000 Rs with us.

Me (asking sheepishly to SA): We have 1000 per head, will it do?

SA: No problem sir.

We made the payment and he went to prepare the payment receipt and get the forms. Can you imagine two folks having just 1000 bucks each went ahead and booked KTM.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-showroom-dukes.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-showroom-2.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-showroom-3.jpg

22 March 2016:
Realized in the morning that the upcoming long government holiday may play spoilsport. Called up my buddy and told him that we will have to make the full payment today if we want to get the bikes with registration numbers on or before Gudhi padva which falls on 8 April. He wanted to make the payment in cash and I had no other option than plastic money for now. Called up SA and told him that we are coming to make full payment. I asked him they can give me some discount on credit card surcharge which was quoted earlier as 1.5%. After discussing with his manager he confirmed that they are ready to charge only 0.5%. I agreed immediately. I also mentioned to him that I would like to check the bikes before giving a go ahead and I wanted multiple options. We went to the showroom at 2:30 pm and made the full payment.

Now it was time to choose the color. I was not sure between Orange and White. Whereas my buddy was confused between Orange and Black. He really liked the all black theme. The only problem with black is you may get confused whether it’s really KTM. After few moments I decided that Orange is the real color of KTM and decided to go ahead with Orange. Buddy agreed as well.

In the mean time I explained my buddy about what is meant by PDI and why it’s important before the bike goes for RTO passing and registration. I was already carrying the TBHP PDI checklist and few other bike specific checkpoints.

Me: Payment is done, let’s go and check the bikes (I was super duper excited)

SA: Wait a minute sir. (He informed the mechanic to keep the Orange Dukes ready for inspection)

We went to the basement parking where they store all the bikes. I saw lots of pulsars, avengers, few white and black Dukes, few RCs but did not see even a single Orange Duke.

Me: Sagar where is the Orange

SA: Sir, there seems to be some confusion. Our stock report is showing three orange Dukes. One is placed in the showroom for display. Let me check again.

Me: Duh

After multiple frantic calls, calling his manager and me getting all the tensions SA came back to us

SA: Sir they have taken the bikes to Wagholi service center last night.

Me: How? Where? Why? Who?

SA: We will bring the bikes back within half an hour. You can wait in the showroom.

Me: 30 minutes is not possible. How are you going to transport the bikes?

SA: Our mechanic will drive them back

Me: I am not happy. You should have checked in advance. I personally don’t like new bikes being driven around in the town recklessly :deadhorse

Buddy (intervened): That’s ok. At least he is telling us the truth. We don’t’ know if dealer is using the bikes for something else.

Me (never imagined this situation): It’s a working day for us at office so we cannot wait in showroom. We will go to office now. Call me up once the bikes arrive.

The entire incidence left a bad taste for me.

Received the call from SA around 5:30 that bikes have arrived.
After completing the office work (I was nowhere in mood to work anyway) in a hurry we again reached the showroom at 7. I had already asked SA to wait for us even if it’s late. It was already dark when we reached the basement. I was worried about doing PDI after sunset but there was no option. I wanted to start the RTO processing early.

We went to the basement and that’s when I met my Orange baby. Two Orange Dukes were parked next to each other. Third Duke was the display unit kept in the showroom. So it was like we are purchasing two bikes and were given two bikes to choose from :Frustrati
I completed the basic PDI quickly. My buddy was watching me in amazement. Made sure there are no damages on either of the bikes.

Checked the VIN number and decoded using the link (http://vindecoder.eu/ktm). Both the bikes were manufactured in 2016. Started the bikes and checked all the lights and electrical. Odo showed 5 kms which ensured that bikes were ridden today by disconnecting the odometer. I informed SA about this which he agreed. I gave a go ahead. SA noted down the VIN, Engine numbers in the RTO form and promised to start the processing immediately next day. SA said we can take our bikes the next day as well since full payment is already done. We said we will wait till Gudhi padva.

Here is the price break up;

I was really exhausted due to all the running around in the afternoon, anxiety and happiness.

My baby Duke on LHS.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-first-glimpse.jpg

End of Part 2

23th March to 29th March 2016:
During this period I kept in touch with SA almost in daily basis. As expected the long government holiday from 24 to 27 March delayed the RTO processing.

On 28th March, received the SMS from Bajaj which states “Congrats on your Purchase of Bajaj bike. Your customer id is XXXXXX. Refer this id during servicing”.

On 29th March, SA confirmed that document has been submitted and will get RTO tax receipt within a week.

I was getting restless every day. So started inquiring about using bike with temporary number. SA mentioned it’s safe. Checked TBHP as well and almost everyone suggested that it’s okay to use the bike with temporary number.

31st March 2016:
I tossed the idea to my buddy about early delivery.

Me: Let’s take early delivery. I really cannot wait another week.

Buddy: Let’s wait till gudhi padva which is an auspicious day. My family is also not in town.

Me: Considering the March ending and Gudhi padva season, getting the registration done before 8th April looks impossible. Your RTO is Pimpri which takes more days than Pune. Even if we wait there is no guarantee about getting the registration done. Why to keep the bikes in the showroom garage. We can start riding the bike early.

Buddy: Hmm

Me: How about 1st April (I personally like no. 1)

Buddy: Its April fool’s day. I am not getting the delivery on this day.

Me: Let’s take it on 2nd April. It’s Saturday and there won’t be any office worry. We can really enjoy the delivery of the bikes.

Buddy: okay. Let’s do it.

Immediately called up SA and informed him about 2nd April. Asked him again about the documentation and what documents will be handed over on the delivery day.
I was jumping with excitement. Hardly slept in the night on 31st and 1st.

Did I mention Why Duke 200? I think in the overall excitement I forgot to talk about this.

Here are the primary reasons why I chose KTM Duke 200,
  1. Technically advance. It has all the electrical. The center console gives so much information.
  2. Unique brand. Looks and feels extremely premium. You don’t see too many KTMs on road.
  3. City riding friendly
  4. Decent fuel consumption
  5. Decent maintenance cost
  6. It is Orange. My son is crazy about Orange
  7. Lite weight

With regards to point no. 5, would like to share a funny incidence. While discussing about fuel consumption with wifey.

Me: Duke’s fuel consumption is low :eek:

Wifey: How much?

Me: 30 to 35 kmpl

Wifey: Are you kidding? That’s still better than Silver Arrow. That means you are burning less fuel with Duke.

Me: He he he

Wifey: He he hi hi hi :uncontrol

This changed my perception. Wifey was so correct.

2nd April 2016, D Day:

Called up SA in the morning to remind him about the delivery. Called up buddy as well and decided to meet at showroom at 11:30 am.

Left home at 11 am with wifey and reached the showroom at 11:30.

I will let pictures do the talking.

Bajaj showroom building. Bajaj occupies entire building with most of their offices located in the same premise.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-building1.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-building2.jpg

Bikes kept on the ground floor. Also serve as nice display area.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-ground01.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-ground02.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-ground03.jpg

Bajaj showroom in middle (Sai Service Bajaj). KTM on left and Kawasaki on the right

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-entrance1.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-entrance2.jpg

Adrenaline pumping tag line. There's a hidden racer in all of us.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-entrance3.jpg

While my buddy was on the way, went to Kawasaki showroom which is in the same building on the same floor.

Look at some of the beauties

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-kawa01.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-kawa02.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-kawa03.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-kawa04.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-kawa05.jpg

Motocross junior

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-kawa06.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-kawa07.jpg

Basement parking is used as storage and preparation area

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-basement1.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-basement2.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-basement3.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-basement4.jpg

Found Bajaj's PDI checklist. It was dark so photo is not clear.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-basement5-pdi-checklist.jpg

Duke(s) being prepared. The mechanic explained basic operations.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-delivery1.jpg

L to R: My buddy, SA-Sagar, Yours truly (wearing orange)

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-delivery2.jpg

My Duke getting all the blessings from my family. That's mp417-junior.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-delivery3.jpg

I love Orange

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-delivery4.jpg

Come, ride me hard and I will take care of you

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-delivery5.jpg

End of Part 3

At the time of writing Part 4, my Duke has clocked 350 kms. This includes my daily commute of around 20 kms and one weekend ride to Lavasa. My usage pattern is 90% city and 10% highway. Out of the 90%, around 20% would be in bumper to bumper traffic.

Alternatives considered

As mentioned in the first post, the only alternative considered was Bajaj Avenger Street 220. I am thanking my colleague for purchasing Avenger Cruise. Had it been Avenger Street I could not have purchased the baby Duke and my life would have been completely different, may be plain-jane. With Duke, Life has suddenly become super active.

Now coming to the bike review;

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-001-main01.jpg

What I like
  1. Aggressive yet easy sitting posture. It’s not typical commuter neither it’s a racing bike. A fine balance between both. Whenever you crouch a bit, it gives you so much more control and you can take corners really hard. Well done KTM.
  2. Wide handle bar. The handle bar feels really nice and chunky to hold. Not even once I have felt disconnected with this bike while riding.
  3. Full digital console. It has so much information. More on this later.
  4. Brute power. The way the bike pulls is mind blowing. It puts a grinning smile on my face every time
  5. Short gear ratio. The bike is hoot to ride in city. Within few seconds I find myself in 6th gear. Now I know why it’s called a hooligans bike
  6. Sweet exhaust note. The exhaust note is very unique and you actually declare your arrival. I’m not exaggerating.
  7. Naked design so minimal plastic fairing. I personally don’t like full faired bikes.
  8. Wide tyres. Provides sufficient grip.
  9. Monster brakes. Disk brakes in front and rear. Yeahhh. Though I am yet to get comfortable with the brakes.
  10. Top notch build quality. I am extremely finicky about quality. Though at few places Bajaj/KTM have cut corners.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-001-main02.jpg

What I don’t like
  1. Incorrect side stand position with respect to left foot peg. Every time I want to put the side stand down, my jeans gets stuck in the foot peg. This is so annoying. I am worried that in a hurry I may fall down with bike. I have started folding the foot peg before applying the side stand.
  2. Wire and connectors are open and not concealed properly at multiple places. I am worried about long term reliability. This bike has lot of electronics and keeping wires and connectors open is not good.
  3. Always on headlamp. I really hate this feature. I can’t help but keep thinking about the minor damage it must be making to the bike. The headlamp console gets really hot even during very short rides. Do we really need this in India? Experts any thoughts?
  4. Lack of ABS. I am a safety fanatic and I would have certainly purchased Duke 200 with ABS.

Overall build quality, design and looks

The bike exudes quality everywhere with few exceptions. The KTM branding at multiple places looks neat. Lot of thought must have gone behind the design. The fit and finish definitely feels premium. The overall quality of material used e.g. plastic parts, rubber parts, seat stitching, lights etc. everything feels top notch. Whenever I tell friends that the bike is manufactured in our very own Pune they can’t believe it.

Sharp line all over the body

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-001-main03.jpg

Front looks big and intimidating

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-001-main04.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-001-main05.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-001-main06.jpg

Sharp and edgy. Love it.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-001-main07.jpg

Key comes with a bar-code card

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-002-key.jpg

Service coupon and basic manual

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-002-service-01.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-002-service-02.jpg

For full manual, you can install the Android app or download PDF version

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-002-service-03.jpg

Tyres

In My2016 Duke version, the tyres were upgraded as well. I am really not sure what was upgraded. Dry road grip is decent. Haven’t had any issues so far. I have not ridden the bike very hard in the corners but in last couple of weeks’ time the tyres performed as expected. Not ridden the bike on wet roads so no comments yet.
Quote:

Features as mentioned on MRF website.
  • Special Tyre Compound - The Unique combination of rubber & compound provides a firm grip on the tarmac while offering an excellent ride
  • Precision Rounded Profile - The Revz tyre has been designed with a carefully engineered profile, which helps you to maneuver sharp turns with ease
Benefits
  • Tyre Construction - The state of the art construction keeps your bike firm on the road while turning at high speeds giving you the confidence you seek
  • Angular Tyre Pattern - Each REVZ tyre has an aesthetically crafted tread design with an angular pattern, designed to offer the best traction while providing good water-channeling

Front tyre

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-004-front-tyre-01.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-004-front-tyre-02.jpg

Rear Tyre

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-004-rear-tyre.jpg

Recommended tyre pressure chart

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-004-rear-tyre1.jpg

Rear tyre hugger. It makes the rear tyre look wide. Does not look out of place and has a sturdy design. Notice the KTM branding. Very nice

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-004-rear-tyre2-hugger.jpg

Saree guard is neatly integrated and pleasing to the eye. Planning to take it off after first service. Even now it is not an eye-sore.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-004-rear-tyre3-tyre-hugger-saree-guard.jpg

The alloy design (Y shape) is extremely well executed and goes well with the overall bike. It has a gloss black finish.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-006-front-suspension-04-alloy-design.jpg

Brakes

Duke has disk brake at both front and rear manufactured by Bybre. The brake disks are round and its not a petal disk. Couple of times at slow speeds I ended up screeching rear rubber. May be I applied rear brake very hard.
I’m yet to get comfortable with brakes. This being my first bike having disk brake so I am learning it slowly. The brakes does feel adequate. Front brake can be applied only by using single finger. Rear brake lever has very small play. Not sure whether it’s designed that way or showroom guys have really tightened it. Couple of times I had difficult moment while riding at fast speed (80 kmph) and wanted to apply brakes suddenly. I’m confident that over time and practice I will improve my braking skills. ABS is sorely missed. The rear brake lever is tiny but surprisingly fits well for me. Have not faced any issue so far.

Special mention of the steel braided brake wires. Looks so much premium.

In the MY2016 version the Duke’s front brake was upgraded to 300 mm from 280 mm.

Front brake is massive

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-005-front-brake-01.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-005-front-brake-02.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-005-front-brake-03.jpg

Close look at the brake design

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-005-front-brake-04.jpg

Steel braided brake wire. Looks and feels premium

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-005-front-brake-05-steel-wire.jpg

Rear brake.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-007-rear-brake01.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-007-rear-brake02.jpg

Close look at rear brake

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-007-rear-brake03.jpg

Steel braided wire at rear as well

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-007-rear-brake04.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-007-rear-brake05-steel-wire.jpg

Part 4 continued.

Console

It’s like a small cockpit and I am loving it. It shows following information.
  1. Ready to Race tagline whenever you turn on the ignition. The RPM counter goes all the way to the 13000.
  2. Tachometer.
  3. Digital Speedo
  4. Odometer
  5. Gear indicator
  6. Two Trip meters
  7. Additional F mode when the fuel tank is in reserve. This is a nifty feature and it tells you how much distance you have covered in reserve.
  8. Distance to service.
  9. Distance to empty.
  10. Average speed during trip.
  11. Average fuel consumption.
  12. Digital watch.
  13. Engine Temperature
  14. Fuel Level.

Tel-tel lights (from LHS)
  1. Turn signal.
  2. Engine light
  3. Shift RPM light.
  4. Neutral
  5. High beam
  6. Warning light. So far it has shown two warnings,
    - Side Stand on
    - Low fuel level

Fully digital cockpit. Though many have mentioned visibility issue in day/sun light, so far I've not faced any issue

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-012-console01.jpg

Lights

The bike has following lights,
  1. Primary headlamp
  2. A pilot lamp (just below the headlamp). It’s part of the headlamp assembly.
  3. LED tail lamp with red color (it has total 12 led bulbs)
  4. All four LED indicators with orange color (with each having 3 led bulbs)
  5. Rear number plate light. It’s a led as well and has super bright white color
  6. Backlit buttons with white color. Actually the buttons are not backlit but the logos are backlit. It feels premium.
  7. Tel-tel lights of the central console

The headlamp is adequate for city riding. I haven’t tried highway during night time. The lower beam has a good focused throw. High beam spreads out and there is no directed focus.
Whenever you turn on the ignition, following lights are turned on automatically;
  1. Pilot lamp
  2. Tail lamp
  3. Rear number place light
  4. Backlit buttons
  5. Tel-tel lights of the central console

Once you turn on the engine, the headlamp is turned on automatically. All the other lights remain on. I really hate this. After switching off the engine, the headlamp is turned off automatically after a second.

Very unique headlamp console design. I doubt whether any other bike can carry this design in such flawless manner

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-010-head-lamp01.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-010-head-lamp02.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-010-head-lamp03-pilot.jpg

A look at indicator. It's small and sturdy. Not easy to get damaged

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-010-indicator.jpg

Tail lamp

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-010-tail-lamp-.jpg

Buttons

Buttons are of good quality and offer good tactile feel. Overall button placement is user friendly as well.
On LHS,
  1. Pass indicator button
  2. High/Lower beam
  3. Indicator
  4. Horn

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-009-button1.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-009-button2.jpg

On RHS,
  1. Engine kill switch. In off position even the central console is turned off.
  2. Self starter button

There’s no button for headlamp in MY2016. Look ma, no button

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-009-button3.jpg

The horn is okay for city use. But the sound is definitely not suitable for Duke. Bajaj should have added dual horn similar to Pulsar.

Ride quality, Suspension, Engine, Gear box, Clutch

I'm 5.11 feet weighing 78 kg and the bike fits my body proportions perfectly. Not even once I have felt uncomfortable. The ride quality is decent and as per my expectations. Its definitely not harsh or not very smooth as HH Splendor. It’s a fine balance. Vibrations are well within limits. I have noticed some vibrations in 2nd and 3rd gear while slowing down. But nothing major. Mirrors are vibration free as well. The riding position is extremely good and it makes lot of difference. I rest my laptop backpack on the pillion seat as the seat is slightly raised than rider seat. Works perfectly for me and there’s hardly any pressure on shoulders.

Prominent Duke Logo

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-003-duke-logo.jpg

Trellis frame RHS view

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-003-trellis-frame1.jpg

Trellis frame LHS view

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-003-trellis-frame2.jpg

Suspension

Both the suspensions are manufactured by WP.Front suspension looks really good. You don't find inverted forks on many bikes and it does look unique.
As mentioned on many ownership threads, rear suspension has 10 level setting. I am yet to explore it. Currently it is set at 2 which is on softer side. Bad roads and potholes are absorbed as expected. Handle vibration due to bad roads is almost non-existent. When you apply front brake, the front suspension travel is not much which surprised me.

The bike is very stable at all speeds. Yet to ride the bike above 100 so no comments on high speed stability. The center of gravity is very well thought of. The exhaust is concealed under the frame which makes mass centralization even better. This is reflected in the handling department. The bike is extremely flickable.

Front suspension

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-006-front-suspension-01.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-006-front-suspension-02.jpg

Notice the design and detailing

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-006-front-suspension-03.jpg

Rear mono shock suspension.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-007-rear-suspension01.jpg

10 step adjustment ring

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-007-rear-suspension02.jpg

Engine, gear box and clutch

I am not an auto expert so don’t know the technical details. However the all matt black engine looks good and goes well with the design and color theme. It has few orange detailing as well. No complaints so far. In bumper to bumper traffic, the radiator is switched on and it throws hot air. In My2016 Duke, the fan has been reworked. Not sure what exactly has been re-designed. The hot air is not unbearable and you can definitely live with it. The fan automatically shuts off in few minutes. The engine is definitely rev happy and it begs you to ride at high rpm level. Gear lever has a very short flick and you can change gears very quickly, I mean really really quickly. Clutch seems a bit hard but in few days I will be comfortable. Facing issue in getting the bike in neutral gear. Again not a big deal.

The Signal GPs are so much fun now a days. I am loving the acceleration of the Duke. Just twist the throttle and you are off to a flying start on green light just like F1.

In my Silver Arrow, my daily commute one way used to take anywhere between 20 to 25 minutes. Now with Duke it takes anywhere between 10 to 13 minutes. I am saving so much time.

Engine. Ready to Race :)

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-008-engine01-rhs.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-008-engine02-rhs.jpg

Engine LHS view

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-008-engine03-lhs.jpg

Close look at engine cowl. Again edgy design. Goes well with overall theme

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-008-engine04-cowl.jpg

Underbelly exhaust. Neatly hidden under the body. Helps in improving center of gravity

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-008-exhaust.jpg

Engine is liquid cooled. Radiator at the front

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-008-radiator-01.jpg

Close look at radiator

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-008-radiator-02.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-008-radiator-03.jpg

Fuel economy - favorite topic for many of us.

I have tried to ride the bike sedately however it’s Duke and it’s simply impossible to ride it as just another commuter bike. The moment I turn on the engine, a racer within takes control. For the initial run-in period I am keeping my baby below 6000 RPM as much as possible. However I have already red-lined few times or should I call red-lighted. There’s no red line in the console instead you actually have a red light.

So far the console is displaying 40 kmpl or 42 kmpl. I’m yet to find out whether this is for all the 350 kms or just for last ride. Only time will tell. I have not identified the fuel economy based on tankful to tankful method. Frankly speaking, for now I want to enjoy every bit of the Duke experience and not worry about how much fuel my Duke is drinking. Remember my discussion with wifey in earlier post.

Part 4 continued.

Small but significant things
  1. I have used HH Splendor for almost 15 years and then TVS Wego for one year. So coming from these small two wheelers, Duke 200 is a BIG step for me.
  2. Under seat storage. Though it’s small, providing storage in a naked bike is an achievement.
  3. Bright LED tail lights and blinkers. You don’t see this on many bikes and looks very premium.
  4. Gear indicator on the console is very useful.
  5. Rear tyre hugger looks chunky and makes the tyre looks even wider.
  6. False neutral. This may be happening only with me. At least for now I am struggling to get into neutral. Many times, the gear indicator shows blank and neutral light is not green as well.
  7. Pillion seat size is small. Wifey has already complained once. Will test this on a long ride. The Lavasa ride was a solo ride.
  8. Mirrors are not adequate. I am struggling to use these mirrors. Most of the fellow TBHPian have replaced Duke mirrors with Apache mirrors. Will definitely think about this. On a hindsight, I am so engaged in riding the duke. The bike keeps me completely focused and I’m hardly getting time to look at rear view mirrors.
  9. Position of the front number plate. The design could have been better.
  10. The two buttons on center console are really hard. Not sure whether this is intentional.
  11. No main stand. Not even available as separate accessory. Parking the bike in tight space is difficult. The side stand angle is not much and the bike remains very close to straight.
  12. The saree guard is neatly integrated with the tyre hugger. Doesn’t look out of place like some of the other high capacity bikes. Planning to get rid of it after first service.
  13. The rear mono shock looks good. Orange color would have been simply awesome.
  14. The Orange color is very unique. It grows on you.

Seats are on harder side but still comfortable

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-011-seat1.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-011-seat2.jpg

Pillion seat holds the tool kit

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-011-seat3.jpg

Under seat storage. Battery is located on the left hand side. It is held in the position using a rubber clamp.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-011-seat4-under-seat-area.jpg

That's my One plus 2 to get an idea of storage space available. You can keep documents or small cloth and not much.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-011-seat5-under-seat-area-size.jpg

Fuse box

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-011-seat6-under-seat-fuse.jpg

Grab handles looks nice

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-011-seat7-grab-handle.jpg

A look at the fuel cap. Very easy to operate. So far I have not faced the fuel vapor issue reported by earlier Duke owners.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-012-fuel-cap.jpg

Let's take a look at attention to detail at few places

KTM branding on the headlamp console

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-detail01.jpg

KTM branding on the handle bar grips as well

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-detail02.jpg

Even the mirrors has KTM

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-detail03.jpg

Rear mud guard overhang. Looks awesome. Wheelbase is really long.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-detail04-rear-overhang.jpg

Handle bar has a serial number

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-detail05-handle-bar-detail.jpg

A look at open wires and connectors :Shockked:

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-open-wire01.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-open-wire02.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-open-wire03.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-open-wire04.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-open-wire05.jpg

End of Part 4

The conclusion

Life has changed completely after Duke's entry. I am already feeling younger by 15 years and that's evident in my behavior and attitude. College days are back. I am finding every reason to ride the bike these days. Junior Mp417 is a mumma's boy but now a days he wants me to drop him to school on baby Duke :D

You live only once so make it matter. That was the thought at the time of booking Duke 200. Should I have purchased D390 or higher capacity bike? I don't think so. Duke 200 is bang for your buck and it's fulfilling my needs. The way it has ignited the fun element, can't explain in words. This bike is perfect by all means and I have very little to complain. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Special thanks to my wife for listening to my endless talks about the next car and bike and never complaining.

While writing this ownership thread I was following up with my buddy to share his thoughts about the Duke. And after a lot of follow up, here is what he has to say in his own words.

Quote:

I never thought merely setting a KTM Duke Wallpaper would eventually make me the owner of one. It happened so - one sunny day, while travelling to office, I heard a roaring bike come and pass by me so fast that I got curious to know more about it. Lucky for me, I could catch up at the immediate signal. And of course it was a KTM Duke 390.

After reaching office, I religiously searched for a KTM Duke on the internet. Later when Mp417 saw me on KTM website, he spread the rumor that I am buying one. After a couple of days of pestering (literally talking about KTM every moment), he puts a bomb. He said "You buy a Duke and I will buy one too". I played along and I said "You buy one and I'll buy one too". I didn't know, he was serious and I didn't know I was crazy.

He actually took me to one of the KTM showroom during lunch time, we took a test drive and we both booked a KTM Duke each - all in less than 30 minutes.

It is only later when I came back to office did I realized what I had done. Quite a crazy and hasty decision on my part. Should I cancel the booking? Hell, NO.

While I was letting myself believe that it was because of Mp417 that I "had" to buy a KTM Duke, but at the bottom of my heart I knew I wanted one.

After all, what a bike Duke is. I had always admired its naked design and it’s unusual, "declare your arrival" firing. Test drive demonstrated its power though it was very very tiny ride. Mp417 had already convinced me about “why Duke is one of the best bike available in market today”

Now that I own it, last 2 weeks have been so much fun. Waiting at signals has never been so much fun, well not waiting at signals, but kicking ahead of everybody else when the signal turns green. Not to mention, racing ahead of pulsars and bullets on the road. It is exciting times.

Not sure should I be angry at Mp417 for making me spend so much mulah or should I be thanking him for bringing so much excitement in my otherwise mundane life.

If I were to list the top 5 things I absolutely like about the bike, then here they are;
  1. Design - call it naked. Call it awesome - it is just so cool
  2. Firing - such an unusual firing. Definitely "declare your arrival"
  3. Acceleration and power - Not seen any bike overtake me so far (so whatever 2 weeks of driving)
  4. Bike handling - feels like the characters in the movie Avatar - the bike and me become one.
  5. Easy riding position

I just wish the mileage was more - but then why am I conveniently forgetting this is a 25 Ps/200 cc engine

Nothing else to complaint otherwise and I'm very happy with the crazy decision.
End of Part 5

Thanks for reading :thumbs up

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle Section. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mp417 (Post 3952332)
Always on headlamp. I really hate this feature.

That feature can save your skin. It improves your visibility to others (at junctions, in their IRVM / ORVM etc.). Forget a two-wheeler, I put the headlamp on in my car on the highway. From our safe highway driving article:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3008253)
Always keep your low beam and fog lamps on, even during the day. It greatly increases your visibility to fellow road users. Being seen is as important as seeing others.

The risk is greater on a motorcycle. Hence, I'd keep it on while riding, even if I'm only in the neighbourhood!

An excellent and detailed write up. Congrats on your new Duke. It will change your life I guarantee you.

This brings back memories of how I bought my Duke 200 four years ago. Nice to know that the Duke still manages to excite people with much the same enthusiasm.

The first lot of Dukes had their issues which have subsequently been eliminated with timely updates. You should not have too many issues with your bike. However, keep an eye out for low battery indications or weak sounding horn around the year mark. The stator coil issue still hasn't been addressed.

Wishing miles and miles of wonderful rides.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3955142)
That feature can save your skin. It improves your visibility to others (at junctions, in their IRVM / ORVM etc.). Forget a two-wheeler, I put the headlamp on in my car on the highway.

Thanks GTO for your valuable inputs. This has changed my perception. I'm no more hating this feature.

Daily I get waved by at least 5 to 6 times and people really make funny signs on seeing the headlamp switched on. It starts with my society security guard :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 (Post 3955245)
This brings back memories of how I bought my Duke 200 four years ago. Nice to know that the Duke still manages to excite people with much the same enthusiasm.

The first lot of Dukes had their issues which have subsequently been eliminated with timely updates. You should not have too many issues with your bike. However, keep an eye out for low battery indications or weak sounding horn around the year mark. The stator coil issue still hasn't been addressed.

The bike surely is exciting.
Thanks for your wishes and heads up on possible issue.

Today I got a chance to ride friend's Honda Hornet. It was so silent and plain. There was no excitement or urge or aggressiveness like Duke. I am appreciating Duke even more now.

Firstly, congratulations on your new acquisition. It sure is a hoot to ride and I'm sure you will have plenty of fun on it. Some advise from a fellow rider, I strongly suggest to invest in some protective gear, especially if you are going to do highway rides. With such a bike hitting 90-100 is a breeze and protection is always recommended. So kit up and happy riding!!

Thank you mp417 for an excellent write up. I almost booked the DUKE 200 a couple of months ago, but had to postpone the purchase due to a personal issue. Your post got me calling the KTM guys and will stop by to the showroom today itself on my way back from work :D. Loved the detailed write up.
Would love to catch up on a ride once I have the bike in my garage.

Ride Safe

MP417: really really written selection and purchasing experience of the Duke200

I can very well relate to your experience as I too went through one exactly one year back, difference here being, I purchased my bike from AadiVenoo, Nal Stop. My experience with this dealer was not at all a pleasant one.
For one, they delayed the registration procedure by nearly 15-20 days and secondly I did not get the choice number I wanted even after agreeing to pay for it. The number was nothing specific but just a total of a specific digit.

We also bought a Suzuki Access from Automatic Suzuki dealership who were much better in their dealings.

My initial service experience with AadiVenoo was bad but has improved in the last year after writing an email to Bajaj.

Parts changed under warranty are:
1) Front MRF tyre
2) Clutch cable

Modifications carried out:
1) Handle bar replaced with that of the 390 so that I could have those hand protectors
2) Bar end weights of Pulsar 200
3) Clutch and brake levers of the adjustable type procured from EBay
4) Slightly taller windscreen - OE KTM acccessory
5) Some decals

Riding gear

I personally believe in ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time). I was looking for following things:
  1. Helmet
  2. Gloves
  3. Balaclava. I really love this as it gives feeling of F1 :D
  4. Jacket

Shortlisted following Helmet brands after researching for few days.
I was looking for helmet with color combination (White base having Orange and Black design) suitable for Orange Duke. Exactly shown in the Duke wallpaper.

Got the list of shops from the Riding gear thread and shortlisted following shops.

Visited Moto 101 and did not find anything interesting. MT and Kranos helmets did not fit properly and there was no variety in color. The sales person (guess he was the owner) was not interested in selling.

Visited Laxmi Auto next. This shop has largest collection of LS2 helmets. Finally picked the LS2 Gamma FF-352 from Laxmi Auto for INR 4500. I got exactly what I was looking for. This helmet has total three air vents. It fits snugly on my head and is very comfortable. Decided to keep the tinted visor considering the summer time. Planning to change to clear visor in future.

Purchased DSG gloves for INR 1250 from same shop. These gloves fit perfectly and offer decent grip.

As for jacket: Tried Cramster, Spartan but found these too heavy, uncomfortable and not suitable for daily city commute. Still looking for a decent jacket. Any suggestions are welcome.

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-helmet1.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-helmet2.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-helmet3.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-helmet4.jpg

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-helmet5.jpg

Even the gloves are Orange :D

From XUV500 to Ertiga to Avenger to KTM Duke 200! How I fell in love with Orange-gloves.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd10ent (Post 3955676)
Firstly, congratulations on your new acquisition. It sure is a hoot to ride and I'm sure you will have plenty of fun on it. Some advise from a fellow rider, I strongly suggest to invest in some protective gear, especially if you are going to do highway rides. With such a bike hitting 90-100 is a breeze and protection is always recommended. So kit up and happy riding!!

Thanks. Please see my earlier post on Riding gear.
Have already done a ride to Lavasa. Will post the details later.
90+ is achieved without any fuss and you don't realize. The bike still is in run-in period so not taking the revs beyond 6500 rpm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhi_krishna (Post 3956069)
Thank you mp417 for an excellent write up. I almost booked the DUKE 200 a couple of months ago, but had to postpone the purchase due to a personal issue. Your post got me calling the KTM guys and will stop by to the showroom today itself on my way back from work :D. Loved the detailed write up.
Would love to catch up on a ride once I have the bike in my garage.

Ride Safe

Glad that my ownership thread is useful :thumbs up
Do update about your decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar (Post 3956121)
MP417: really really written selection and purchasing experience of the Duke200

I purchased my bike from AadiVenoo, Nal Stop. My experience with this dealer was not at all a pleasant one.

Thank you.
I was surprised when AadiVenoo SA did not ask my contact number. He lost a potential customer. Nal Stop KTM was my default choice as its closer to my home. Overall KTM Wakdewadi (Sai Service) provided good service with the exception when they goofed up during the PDI i.e. bikes not available in stock and were ridden to/from Wagholi - Wakdewadi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar (Post 3956121)
My initial service experience with AadiVenoo was bad but has improved in the last year after writing an email to Bajaj.

Parts changed under warranty are:
1) Front MRF tyre
2) Clutch cable

Modifications carried out:
1) Handle bar replaced with that of the 390 so that I could have those hand protectors
2) Bar end weights of Pulsar 200
3) Clutch and brake levers of the adjustable type procured from EBay
4) Slightly taller windscreen - OE KTM acccessory
5) Some decals

I'm planning to go to Sai Service's center at Phugewadi for first service.
What happened with Tyre and Clutch cable?

Could you please post pictures of; Clutch/brake levers, Windscreen and decals?