Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2016, 22:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: 150cc bike to replace the RX135 - Which one?

After the Ninja 300 and R15 if there is another bike that has impressed me, its the Pulsar 200NS..!!

Much like the Ninja 300 and R15 the engine of the NS 200 has a linear and high revving nature.

The handling of the 200NS is also pretty awesome and confidence inspiring thanks to its Perimeter frame.. apart from cornering what most impressed me how the bike retained its line and poise during hard and emergency braking. Thanks to its rigid and modern frame.

The engine is not as refined like the R15 but it doesn't feel stressed or strained at high revs.. unlike the Previous gen Pulsar engines.

Currently I do not think that the NS is in production but recently a test mule of the 200NS was seen in Pune with ABS (probably single channel).

The Pulsar AS200 is essentially the 200NS with the Quarter/Half fairing.

Last edited by payeng : 18th April 2016 at 22:33.
payeng is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 22:37   #17
BHPian

Go for the Honda Hornet 160 if you want a fuss free & hassle free ownership experience. But, it feels commuter like to ride and simply doesn't have that fun factor while riding thanks to the 160cc engine. Hornet is a very good bike in all aspects except power and displacement.

The Bajaj V looks good but it felt like a Discover in stylish clothing to me. And you don't associate Discover in anything related to "fun". Gixxer has many quality issues as I heard from many of my friends who are Gixxer owners. Yamaha FZ is good too but seems overpriced now. Also, feels puny and doesn't suit tall riders.

I guess the Pulsar NS200 was discontinued so you can go for the Pulsar AS200. Yes, it is not as flickable as the NS200 but the AS200 scores over the NS in better projector headlamps & more comfortable seating position. TVS Apache RTR is a good bet but I'd give preference to AS200.

Last edited by carfreak7 : 18th April 2016 at 22:41. Reason: Spacing errors.
carfreak7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 14:07   #18
BHPian

You can get the Pulsar 200 NS. Various spy shots have captured 200 NS testing with ABS ala RS200. It'll be launching soon. So wait and watch!
The Brutailer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 15:38   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you so much guys. I think I should seriously consider Pulsar 200NS. Any idea about the launch of new 200NS?
BTW how good is 150AS?
Old 19th April 2016, 15:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Thank you so much guys. I think I should seriously consider Pulsar 200NS. Any idea about the launch of new 200NS?
BTW how good is 150AS?
Yup the 200 naked streetfighter is huge value for money. I can't imagine any 150 will keep you happy for long. That said, do check out the RTR200 as well

Last edited by IshaanIan : 19th April 2016 at 15:54.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 15:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW how good is 150AS?
Instead of 200NS, you could try out the 200AS.
Engine is vastly more refined.
The fairing also helps a lot in highways sprints.
However, a major downer is the cheap tyres it ships with (which you replace any way )

By the way, if you considering the AS200/NS200, why not give the RTR200 a try. Initial reviews are very positive. (Turns like a fly, goes like stink!)

150AS feels good only on paper (specs). Test ride it, and you will understand what I am saying.
Gixxer, RTR and Hornet feel much faster in real world.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 19th April 2016 at 15:47. Reason: added RTR200 in the choices
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 18:45   #22
BHPian

Re: 150cc bike to replace the RX135 - Which one?

Quote:
BTW how good is 150AS?
Just saw this thread today. NS200 ABS TESTING

Wait for the ABS version to come, it will be real value for money. And equipment / features to price ratio will be killer being Bajaj.

IMO

RTR 200 vs Pulsar 200NS ABS
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 20:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Just a thought - It's a bit of a wildcard - How about the Navi?
Its a fun, zippy bike, good for the daily drive, and the 80kmph top speed is just about right. Please do take a test drive before dismissing it outright
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 22:48   #24
BHPian

Since you are replacing an RX, Fz, gixxer etc will not offer that kind of initial acceleration.

Fz is too timid for my liking but it's handling is very good.

pulsar 200 NS is your best bet. Offers very good initial response.

Karizma is another good choice. A bit long geared but is much comfortable to ride than any other bike mentioned here.

Last but not the least you can try a Royal enfield bullet(standard). Similar seating position to that of the RX. The UCE model has a centralised mass distribution and is much more nimble than the old Cast iron ones. Most people stay away from it because it has drum brake at the front but being big 150 mm drums they offer good bite. I did a trip to munnar from Kochi and found the new bullet much more urban friendly than the older ones. The new UCE has certainly improved the handling.
Captain Haddock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 10:09   #25
BHPian

I am surprised to see no one has mentioned Hero Achiever here. I have used the same from 2007 to 2015 and sold to my cousin thereafter. My bike contained all features like Disc Brake, Self Start and Alloy Wheels. Due to sharing some looks with erstwhile Hero Ambition, most of my friends never believed it is 150cc. Only after driving the same, when they felt the power of the bike, they got convinced.

I did my first MH05 to MH14 ride on this bike in December 2007. Very stable on highways, nice engine and less maintenance worries made this bike my favourite. I used to get 40 kmpl in city and 55 kmpl on highway.

My achiever had a scaled down version of Unicorn engine (that's what most mechanics said to me). So it had slightly less pickup than Unicorn but I never found it worrisome.

Request you to at least test ride it by visiting nearby Hero Showroom.
turbodude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 12:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
How about the Navi?
Dear Sir,
With due respect to your point of view, please lets remember that Mr.Boss is replacing his RX Yamaha (the epitome of mad power).
The Navi is not even remotely close to that.

Off Topic, The Navi has quite a number of issues.
- Weird Looks
- Uninspiring fit and finish due to cheap plastics on many parts
- handle bar from a Luna
- Almost every accessory costs extra
- Strictly mediocre handling & brakes
- Loses out on the plus points of scooters (The very Practical foot board area, plush seat & under storage seat is gone)
- Loses out on the plus point of Bikes (The larger tires, proper brakes, big fuel tank, better pickup are gone.)
- The scooter chassis cant hold a candle to modern bikes in terms of comfort and handling.

In summary, the Navi is a very strange cross between a scooter and motorcycle, wherein it loses out on the advantages of both of them, and retains only the de-merits of both.

P.S: The above comments are my personal views only. Not intended to offend any potential Navi buyers.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 15:01   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks everyone for the valuable comments and suggestions
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
do check out the RTR200 as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
why not give the RTR200 a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
RTR 200 vs Pulsar 200NS ABS
You guys are tempting me. Definitely I'm adding RTR200 to my list

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Instead of 200NS, you could try out the 200AS.
Engine is vastly more refined.
Did NS & AS came with different engine tune / refinement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
How about the Navi?
No offense meant, instead I will go with Activa. But I'm looking for a proper geared bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
Karizma is another good choice. A bit long geared but is much comfortable to ride than any other bike mentioned here.

Last but not the least you can try a Royal enfield bullet(standard).
Both were ruled out only because of budget constraint.
100% agreed on your comments though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
I am surprised to see no one has mentioned Hero Achiever here.
This is one of the cheapest option in 150cc segment. Many were not aware about existence of such a bike. On paper spec and the looks made me decide against Achiever.
Old 20th April 2016, 15:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Did NS & AS came with different engine tune / refinement?

Quoting Motorbeam:

The Pulsar AS 200 uses the same engine that powers the Pulsar 200 NS, thus the 199.5cc single-cylinder motor continues to churn out 23.5 horses and a twisting force of 18.3 Nm. It uses triple-spark plugs and a carburettor, so while output numbers are identical, what is different is the refinement. The learnings from developing the RS 200 have been passed onto the AS 200 and the bike feels smoother than the 200 NS. Performance is quite similar too and the added weight doesn’t show, with the 0-100 km/hr sprint taking around 10.5 seconds. The top speed is rated at 136 km/hr
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 16:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Can the mods add a poll to this thread. I think the Pulsar 200 NS will be leading based on the posts so far.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 18:55   #30
BHPian

Looking to your requirements, I think you should seriously consider the New Avenger Series, be it Street 220 or Cruise 220. They are the best VFM, fun to ride and comfortable as well. And a friend of mine recently purchased the Avenger Street 220, and he is getting FE of approx. 35-40 kmpl in the 2500 kms that he has ridden it. But if you do not want to go for cruiser looks and feel, I feel Honda Hornet should be your bet. Honda is known for its reliability and hassle free ownership experience. I have owned a Honda Shine myself and never did it give any trouble to me and always returned superb FE and peppy performance for a 125cc bike. These are my 2 cents. All the best.
Thunderlover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks