Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2016, 10:43   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

150cc bike to replace the RX135 - Which one?

Little background:
I own 3 Yamaha RX bikes, out of which 2 were already restored and the 3rd one is on it's way. I'm quite satisfied with the performance and efficiency (???) of RX and using them for office run atleast thrice in a week (other days I will be using my car)

Need for New bike
Couple of reasons left me searching for a new bike.
1) Close friend of mine is repeatedly asking my RXG. I convinced him that I will get him a used bike and restore it to pristine condition which he agreed for. But the recent commitments and work load kept me away from bikes (my pocket bike project is on hold for more than 5 months now) and I hope the situation will remain same for few more months. So I'm left with no other option than selling my RXG to him (PS: He is not interested in buying fully restored bike from the market)

2) All my bikes are more than 17 years old now. I don't want to put them on daily duty any more. Let the old beast take some rest and accompany me on weekends and occasional office rides.

Requirements
- New / Used : New
- Engine Capacity : 150/160cc (nothing more than that)
- Budget : Less than a lakh on-road (strictly)
- Monthly usage : Less than 1000km
- FE : anything around 40kmpl

Bikes Considered
1) Honda Hornet
2) Yamaha FZ
3) Suzuki Gixxer
4) TVS Apache RTR
5) Bajaj V
6) Bajaj Avenger

- I don't have much experience with any of these bikes other than RTR.
- Driven all these bikes except the Hornet
- I'm not considering the pulsar family for various reasons. Primary reason being too many on roads already (the same for FZ as well, but I love Yamaha)
- I'm strict on budget, so no more Bulls
- My driving style will be limited to 80kmph max. I'm more concerned with the low end power delivery than the top end.

Though there are few more threads available on similar subject, I couldn't conclude on selecting the best choice. To be frank after driving RX no 150cc 4 stroke could satisfy me. Please suggest.
Old 17th April 2016, 11:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: 150cc bike to replace the RX135 - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Engine Capacity : 150/160cc (nothing more than that)
Quote:
4) TVS Apache RTR
Quote:
I don't have much experience with any of these bikes other than RTR.
Quote:
I'm strict on budget,
Quote:
I'm more concerned with the low end power delivery than the top end.
Isn't it obvious? You have effectively already selected the bike.

Quote:
My driving style will be limited to 80kmph max.
This baffles me. Even if you usually ride like that, no harm in having some reserve power for once in a while use.

Quote:
To be frank after driving RX no 150cc 4 stroke could satisfy me. Please suggest.
This is exactly what I would have said to you had you not said it yourself.

So though I have said that you have effectively selected the bike, the last 2 points of yours which I have quoted indicate that you need something not in your list.

And here also the obvious choice is the TVS Apache RTR200. Considering your budget it will have to be the Carb versions. But try and go for the ABS version with Pirelli tyres. Even if you overshoot your budget a little, it's worth it.

Another bike you can consider is the Pulsar 200 NS. I know you mentioned that you are not considering anything from the Pulsar family but the NS is different. Actually totally different from the old Pulsar family and more or less from the Duke family.

Last edited by .anshuman : 17th April 2016 at 14:02. Reason: Typo fixed on request. Thanks
pedrolourenco is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 13:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to say this but RX135's nearest experience IMHO is from the KTM200. Thats your only bet to get the same adrenaline as what the RX series provide.

The 150 and 160cc bikes are as good as hero honda CD100 to me . Get a used KTM200 and you wont regret.

Last edited by GTO : 19th April 2016 at 16:07. Reason: Typo
VW2010 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 13:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Sorry to say this but RX135's nearest experience IMHO is from the KTM200.
I fully agree with this and ideally I would have suggested the Duke 390, but I guess you missed this:
Quote:
Quote:
Budget : Less than a lakh on-road (strictly)
And that's why I suggested this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Pulsar 200 NS.

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 17th April 2016 at 13:37. Reason: Fixing Quote
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 13:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Regardless of whatever apprehensions or beliefs you carry, it must be said that the ideal bike for you is a KTM Duke 200. Well worth it in the used market btw.

If you insist on sticking to your requirements, then go for the Apache RTR 200 or battle it out between the Hornet and the Gixxer
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 15:16   #6
BHPian

Do look at the Avenger Street 220. It will serve your requirements very well.

*Would fall under your budget. Its vfm considering the looks and specs
*Looks great
*Less plastic
*Decent FE
*Isn't a 150

Last edited by GTO : 19th April 2016 at 16:08. Reason: Typos
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 15:49   #7
BHPian

Of the list - Gixxer or avenger (new one), depending on the preference, is my choice. Otherwise, Pulsar 200ns is a underdog which is really good IMO.
null is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 16:38   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion guys.
Quote:
Isn't it obvious? You have effectively already selected the bike.
Quote:
And here also the obvious choice is the TVS Apache RTR200.
I'm a big fan of RTR family. But the only problem I see with RTR engine is it needs a lot of pampering, else the power train loses it's punch (unlike the abuse handling ability of Yamaha / Honda engines) Also the excessive engine vibration (in 160 & 180cc) makes me think again. How is the refinement in 200?

Quote:
Another bike you can consider is the Pulsar 200 NS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Of the list - Gixxer or avenger (new one), depending on the preference, is my choice. Otherwise, Pulsar 200ns is a underdog which is really good IMO.
I'm wondering why 200NS never came in my mind. May be I was limiting my criteria for less than 200cc. Got a chance to drive 200NS once and I do agree the power delivery is quite linear and I could feel a better refinement in engine. Let me add this bike in wish list. Thanks for suggesting.

Quote:
Sorry to say this but RX135's nearest experience IMHO is from the KTM200. Get an used KTM200 and you wont regret.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Regardless of whatever apprehensions or beliefs you carry, it must be said that the ideal bike for you is a KTM Duke 200. Well worth it in the used market btw.
I was already sold for KTM 200. 2 reasons kept me away from this bike
1) Out of budget
2) Looks - Home minister is against the looks of KTM, but she like the RC Version, which I'm not comfortable with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Do look at the avenger street 220.
I haven't driven Avenger 220 yet, let me take a test drive.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 17th April 2016 at 16:40.
Old 17th April 2016, 17:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

After all you have said, please test ride all the bikes. I have made decisions based on what others have said. Enticer(no where close to enticing her or anyone) was one such which i promptly sold in 11 months. Reason was simple, got the 500 bull which after 11 years now does wonderful service. KTM390 changed the game for me and if not for a year break from work, i would have already picked up a 390 RC or non RC. My next bike purchase is in 2017 only and I am happy to wait for market announcements.

The recommendation and list has bikes that are heavier, uncharacteristic and at the end of the day will bore you over in few months of ownership. Heavy criticism here but its a fact.

If you are tall forget avenger. Apache RTR and FZ look great and in fact the RTR 180 may fit your budget and comes with nice features. What these bikes lack after owning RX for 17 years will be evident for you in weeks time. This is where the 200 will continue to grow.

If from the list and you are not tall, avenger looks like a good option followed by RTR and then by FZ.

Another bike to consider is Karizma. Its actually a fun bike to ride around and has killer looks.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 18:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:

Requirements

Bikes Considered
3) Suzuki Gixxer
4) TVS Apache RTR

- I'm not considering the pulsar family for various reasons. Primary reason being too many on roads already (the same for FZ as well, but I love Yamaha)
- My driving style will be limited to 80kmph max. I'm more concerned with the low end power delivery than the top end.
Having ridden the Unicorn 160 and the Hornet for a few months, I would recommend you to stay away from the Hornet. You need low end power delivery and Hornet sucks at that.

Out of the options you have listed, the Suzuki Gixxer seems to fit in well. It has got a great engine, is a reliable Suzuki, looks good and even comes with rear disc brake now. You can also look at Gixxer SF if you would like a faired motorcycle. The SF also gets fuel injection.

The Apache 200 is an excellent option and the engine is much more refined than earlier Apache's. However, if you go for it, try to get the ABS version even if it means stretching the budget slightly.

Although others have suggested Pulsar 200 NS, it is no longer available. It has been replaced by Pulsar AS 200 but I don't like it for some reason. And yes, Pulsars are way too common now.

Hope this helps. Happy shopping!
amansanc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 10:59   #11
BHPian

As someone who owns three RXs, you really must take a good look at the Duke 200. It is today's RX and will give you the most pleasure. The requirements you have stated are clear, but after spending a lifetime with the likes of an RX, you will find nothing comes close to what a D200 can deliver.

I own both bikes.

You are obviously an enthusiast and hence need to look beyond things like budget constraints and approval from the Home Ministry (with all due respect). Anything in the rest of your list will give you a commuterish experience of simply getting you from point A to B with no fuss.
airfoil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 12:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to say this but RX135's nearest experience IMHO is from the KTM200. Thats your only bet to get the same adrenaline as what the RX series provide.

The 150 and 160cc bikes are as good as hero honda CD100 to me . Get an used KTM200 and you wont regret.
NS200 experience is not too far off from RX135 either, at 40% cheaper the Duke, it is value for money too. Apart from slight vibes post 6k rpm, NS200 is equally or almost as fun as Duke200.
See even spec says,
0-60 kmph
Duke200 3.2 secs
NS200 3.6 secs
0-100 kmph
Duke200 9.3 secs
NS200 9.8 secs

which is hardly any difference. The feel is slightly different because of the vibes and Duke pulls cleanly. DOHC vs SOHC and Carburetor vs FI mainly.

OTR Bangalore
Duke 200 1.69 lacs
NS200 1.09 lacs. Chennai price should be 5k lower.

Or as VW2010 rightly said even a used Duke 200 should be game. Again I agree with him on not taking 150 and 160 cc bikes, yes, DONT!

Quote:
Though there are few more threads available on similar subject, I couldn't conclude on selecting the best choice. To be frank after driving RX no 150cc 4 stroke could satisfy me. Please suggest.
The price of NS200 itself is slightly above your budget, however a person coming from a 2 stroke Yamaha RX-YYY, personally I feel should go for the NS or the Duke, for throttle response and performance, so not to be dissapointed.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 18th April 2016 at 12:25.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 12:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Requirements

Bikes Considered
1) Honda Hornet
2) Yamaha FZ
3) Suzuki Gixxer
4) TVS Apache RTR
5) Bajaj V
6) Bajaj Avenger

As per the requirements this would be the order i suggest -

Apache RTR > Gixxer > Hornet > FZ > Avenger

I drove all of the above bikes extensively ( Hornet, not so much) and as per your need of low end grunt, the order is suggested. I haven't included the Bajaj V in my list as i haven't driven one and would not like to comment on it.
Rohit_Quad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 12:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

You should go for the RTR eyes closed. Because no other bike in this price point gives you the mad rush similar to your RX bikes.
abhishek46 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 21:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
NS200 experience is not too far off from RX135 either, at 40% cheaper the Duke, it is value for money too. Apart from slight vibes post 6k rpm, NS200 is equally or almost as fun as Duke200.
See even spec says,
0-60 kmph
Duke200 3.2 secs
NS200 3.6 secs
0-100 kmph
Duke200 9.3 secs
NS200 9.8 secs

which is hardly any difference. The feel is slightly different because of the vibes and Duke pulls cleanly. DOHC vs SOHC and Carburetor vs FI mainly.
NS200 is a brilliant bike no doubts about that. A lot of my friends own it and have had no complaints. Don't think you can compare it to the Duke however. If you ride them back to back you will feel a huge difference. The Duke feels MUCH lighter is easier to tip into corners, has sharper throttle response and overall feels more quick on its feet. To the Pulsar's credit, I feel it has slightly better brakes and can tackle more abuse.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks