Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2016, 16:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Honda Navi Review: Like having a second childhood

1st: Congrats on this fun little bike, reignites teenage memories.
2nd: More of an impulse buy, rather than practical.
I wouldn't spend my money on this,
would rather spend 50k on some performance MODS.
Old 18th May 2016, 11:04   #17
BHPian

Congrats on a great little buy.

When i first heard about this bike as i was following the auto expo, it brought back memories of my collage days where i initially had a Hero Puch (anyone remember that?) and later a kinetic honda followed by a Bullet.

Unfortunately haven't ridden a bike since then which was 13 years back, other than the hired ones in Goa. Have been contemplating on picking up a scooter/bike for some time now but wasn't getting the one for my needs until i came across this little gem.

Only worried if they'll sell me one considering am way over their age limit
DevSoms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 11:54   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase! Hope you have lots of fun miles with it. Although you have covered most of the information in the post, could you please compare the ride comfort with other "proper Bikes"? Especially on rough roads. One of the reasons bikes are preferred in our rural areas is their ability to handle rough/no roads. Although Bangalore roads could be worse at times . I would be really happy to get a bike with the twist and go comfort of a scooter and if not the Navi, if this does sell, may be a clone, which is more bike like?
Old 18th May 2016, 13:40   #19
BHPian

Hell after reading this I went ahead and booked one! I was on the border line for a milk&egg scooter as i call those Activa & co.

Orange and I hope it comes soon
amitc7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 14:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
The final invoice value came to INR 49,136/- including accessories (orange crash guard, beeper for side-indicators, side stand) and a Back-to-Invoice insurance (which indemnifies me to the total invoice value and not just the ex-showroom price).
@Nishsingh..Can you post the correct breakdown of your final invoice with various components, as myself and John (another Team Bhpian) both are facing problem with accessories being charged, which you have mentioned - Crash guard, Beeper and Side Stand).
Orange Honda wants me to pay Rs.2000 for these accessories which have been given free for you..
Please clarify urgently.
Old 18th May 2016, 15:25   #21
MHG
BHPian

I'd buy it if it was 30% bigger (I would've ridden it comfortably between ages 11 and 13 maybe), came with minimum 16" wheels, had atleast a 10L fuel tank and had an FE of around 90km/L (for such tiny power, 60km/L is quite bad IMO).

That is the practical me.

But for the impractical me, the 1970s Rajdoot GTS and the 2016 Honda Navi are just like the 1959 movie Plan 9 From Outer Space and the 1998 movie Gunda. Each appeared 4 decades after the other and made next to no sense but is definitely worth the 2 hours over a bored weekend. And during that time I can laugh at it as much as because of it.
MHG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 07:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
@Nishsingh..Can you post the correct breakdown of your final invoice with various components, as myself and John (another Team Bhpian) both are facing problem with accessories being charged, which you have mentioned - Crash guard, Beeper and Side Stand).
Orange Honda wants me to pay Rs.2000 for these accessories which have been given free for you..
Please clarify urgently.
The accessories weren't provided free! Like I said in my review, the final invoice value of Rs 49,136/- included the accessories, and the insurance. I didn't buy the pillion side-step though. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost the handwritten break-up of the invoice, and do not have the exact price for each accessory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker99 View Post
Anyways wishing you many happy miles on your toy and if possible do post a pic with yourself riding the Navi, preferably a pic from the side. Would like to see for myself what the riding stance is like.
I do not have a photograph from the side, but am posting a couple of screen-grabs from my friend's helmet-mounted GoPro camera.
Honda Navi Review: Like having a second childhood-1.png
Honda Navi Review: Like having a second childhood-2.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
We are enjoying riding the Navi, it's such a blast to ride. Unfortunately we are restricted to riding it within our colony, thanks to Honda's screw up. I am not taking it out on the road till the RTA issue is resolved and the bike can be registered. This has really soured the experience.
I got my TR - Temporary Registration - earlier in the week. I hope the issues for you have been sorted out too!
nishsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 17:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
The accessories weren't provided free! Like I said in my review, the final invoice value of Rs 49,136/- included the accessories, and the insurance. I didn't buy the pillion side-step though. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost the handwritten break-up of the invoice, and do not have the exact price for each accessory.

I got my TR - Temporary Registration - earlier in the week. I hope the issues for you have been sorted out too!
Details of what I paid at Raam Honda, Tarbund:
1. Rs.1000/- booking amount.
2. Rs.48,623/- balance, without any accessories.
3. Rs.323/- for the side-stand.
4. Rs.62/- for the buzzer.
TOTAL: Rs. 50,008/-

Dealer quoted Rs. 800/- for leg guard and Rs.900/- for pillion foot rest.

Got the T/R on the 18th.

Last edited by John : 20th May 2016 at 17:58.
John is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 06:56   #24
BHPian

Came across the Grom review on Bloomberg today http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...iny-motorcycle

Incase I am not mistaken the handlebars seem to be set a bit lower as compared to an Activa. I wonder if riding the Navi results in a backache.

Last edited by Flanker99 : 22nd May 2016 at 07:05.
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker99 View Post
Came across the Grom review on Bloomberg today http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...iny-motorcycle

Incase I am not mistaken the handlebars seem to be set a bit lower as compared to an Activa. I wonder if riding the Navi results in a backache.
To my naked eye, the handlebar of the Navi seems to be about the same height as that of my neighbor's Activa. This review from NDTV however suggests that the handlebar is set higher -
http://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/honda-n...review-1394726

As noted on another thread on Team-BHP, Honda has imported the Grom into India for R&D purposes. Would be interesting to see how Honda uses this to develop the Navi further.
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not have a photograph from the side, but am posting a couple of screen-grabs from my friend's helmet-mounted GoPro camera
Off topic, but good to see you ride around in at least what I would consider basic rider protection, that is a helmet, leather gloves and leather boots / shoes

Of only some motorcyclists could take a clue from you. Not too long ago, I remember this nutcase tooling about on a Hayabusa without as much as a helmet to protect his thick skull
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 13:22   #27
BHPian

It's been 6 months since I bought my Navi, so I guess it's time for an update!

Although the bike (scooter ?) is now 6 months old, it still draws a lot of eyeballs. I still have people taking selfies with the bike, and chasing me down to ask what the price of the bike is. On one occasion, when I pointed up my 4 fingers to indicate the Forty thousand price, the guy believed it to be 4 lakhs. So maybe it does look like a (0.4) million bucks! Short of buying a Ducati or being Shahrukh Khan, I think this is the closest one can get to stardom without spending a lot.

Here's the bike in all its glory -

Honda Navi Review: Like having a second childhood-20161115_110749.jpg

The bike starts without any problems, and on the odd occasion it doesn’t - a simple push of the choke solves matters. The braking is adequate, and the shock absorbers have worked well on the (non-existent) roads in my area. I now use the bike as my daily driver to office, and really appreciate the light weight and gearless/clutch-less operation that the Navi provides in the bumper-to-bumper rush hour chaos! I do have a Pulsar at home too, but am reluctant to choose it over the Navi given the conditions.

I still hate the fact that there is no fuel gauge on the Navi. I have had the fuel tank go empty on me last month, since I thought the fuel cock was still on the ‘On’ position whereas someone had moved it to the ‘Reserve’ in the office parking. I had to drag the bike a couple of kms to the nearest petrol pump. But hey, it’s the Navi! If you can push a bicyle, you can probably push this too!

I have had a couple of servicing done on the bike now (each costing around Rs. 325/- including service and oil change), and purchased an extended warranty (for an additional 3 years worth around Rs 540/-).
Honda’s servicing however leaves a lot to be desired. After both of my services, I didn’t notice any change to the bike (smoothness, pickup etc.) which I usually feel whenever I service my Pulsar or my SX4. The Honda service center is almost always chaotic, and several notches below both Bajaj and Maruti. The washing is never done even a couple of hours after receiving a call that the bike is ready; and to top it all, they dry the bike using a torn vest! And here I used to wonder if the GSM of the microfiber I was using on my bike was appropriate enough.

The good thing is that Honda a couple of weeks back released the luggage box. I got it fixed at Rs 1,240/- (including service charges). A lockable storage was one thing that I sorely missed on my Navi, and the luggage box has really pushed up the utility of the bike by several notches.

I am attaching a few pics of the luggage box:

The box lid opens down from the top, and not sideways (which I would have preferred) -
Honda Navi Review: Like having a second childhood-20161115_110803.jpg

The plastic quality isn't really great, and honestly is actually quite flimsy. The edges on the box, despite the foam inserts (which have been put to help prevent rattle) are sharp -
Honda Navi Review: Like having a second childhood-20161115_110813.jpg

The box is large enough to hold a bit of groceries, or a kids helmet. I believe the volume of the box would be sllightly less than those of the underseat storage of scooters -
Honda Navi Review: Like having a second childhood-20161115_110810.jpg

As mentioned above, the plastic quality of the luggage box is sadly very poor with quite a few sharp edges. (I cut my finger on the box lid the day it got installed). I have however now learned to be more careful while operating the luggage box.

Honda has a few more accessories on offer for the Navi, and BHPian Hillram has a review of these at –
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3994618

I have made a few minor modifications (if you can call it that), which include adding reflective stickers to the bike and adding a glow in the dark tape around the key hole on the handle lock. (This keyhole was quite hard to find in the parking lot otherwise).

I still don’t see enough Navis on the road. Part of the reason (as the dealer tells me) is that Honda hasn’t been aggressively promoting the bike. Maybe they are just testing the waters, or maybe they didn’t have enough confidence in the bike to begin with. With the Navi doubling production and starting exports to Nepal - (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post4080701 - maybe Honda has started to have more faith in the bike now.

As it stands, I wasn’t a believer in the Navi to begin with. It was quirky and a fun tool, but I hadn’t thought of it as a daily drive. But now that I do use it to my office every day, I can safely recommend it to anyone looking for a fun and capable urban commuter.
nishsingh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 18:38   #28
BHPian

Recently got the luggage box fitted. Agree with @Nishsingh, the box cover is pretty flimsy.
Have also done a few mods: replaced the rear fender, fitted a LED brake light and plasti-dipped the front fender.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Navi Review: Like having a second childhood-20161121_1311451-2.jpg  

Honda Navi Review: Like having a second childhood-fullsizerender-2.jpg  

Last edited by John : 22nd November 2016 at 18:39.
John is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 10:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Have also done a few mods: replaced the rear fender,

How was the replacement done / where have you sourced the replacement rear fender from?

Last edited by payeng : 23rd November 2016 at 10:52.
Old 23rd November 2016, 11:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
How was the replacement done / where have you sourced the replacement rear fender from?
The rear fender is from the Honda Activa i. It's a direct bolt on.
John is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks