Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2016, 15:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Back Pain - Which Royal Enfield? Classic vs Thunderbird vs Himalayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I still continue to drive and ride (sold the apache for an activa for family needs) and do my physio as regularly as possible.

Don't you think the Activa has the worst suspension compared to other two-wheelers? Doesn't it hurt your back?

In my experience, all the scooters have bad suspensions. The best suspension on a scooter, the Jupiter, is not good enough. A regular 100cc bike has much better suspension.
Old 16th May 2016, 16:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post

Don't you think the Activa has the worst suspension compared to other two-wheelers? Doesn't it hurt your back?
We have the activa 125 which is better than the other one though not the best. Anyway I resort to the jockey position when I see that the road is bad and yes, I definitely maintain my torso in an upright position while riding pretty much like what an army guy will hold his torso when hes said Attention!!! So far so good
Old 17th May 2016, 01:10   #33
BHPian

I own a TB500 and recently rode a Himalayan over 100 kms. On way back rode my TB. Surprisingly my observation also was that the Himalayan was more comfortable and I get back pain and get impatient riding the TB. I wouldn't have expected this from the Himalayan which is more demanding in terms of seating and stance. But that's the reality. The torque is better on TB but top end wack on Himalayan was good too. It felt very stable and comfortable too. The rear seat which is positioned a step above actually helps provide some support to the rider's back. The TB's seats are very poor. I may change the seat and tires to make it more comfortable and grippier. I think the standard 500 also has a good seat and may make sense. But what I've realised is that the new REs coming out are certainly better than the old ones and it may make more sense to go for latest rides instead of sticking to old because of classic looks etc. Hope it helps in your decision.
Alisiddiqui is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 15:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechebe View Post
"As the bike is quite heavy, the springs are also quite loaded, and hence offer a stiffer ride. Also, one can never get as supple a ride on any Bullet as a gas charged shocks fitted commuter bike, like say a Hero Glamour, due to its much lower kerb weight and lesser load on springs of suspension."

I felt like I'm riding on a smooth road when I rode my friend's gas shock wala Hero Glamour on pretty rough terrains with lesser shocks being transmitted to my body.

<snip>

My mechanic is suggesting me to go for less stiff springs for rear suspension, probably the ones borrowed from Yezdi bike (Hard to find though as new one isn't available, and I've been kept waiting).
The newer RE models have gas-charged shock absorbers. Have you checked if they'll fit into your Std 350?
Old 4th June 2016, 18:49   #35
BHPian

Yes, I checked, but that increases the ride height as well as look awkward as the top surface of the pillion seat raises above fuel tank surface. Spoils the looks IMHO.

Though I am also searching for gas charged shocks with the same length of the stock ones so that the ride height won't be altered, but so far no luck in finding one.
Old 13th July 2016, 23:20   #36

In Classic 500, is there any difference between the models that came out in 2010 & the latest 2015, 2016. Will a 2010, 2011, 2012 Classic purchase put me at a technical disadvantage over a more later version.
Old 15th July 2016, 15:35   #37
BHPian

I am kind of in a similar situation to what the OP is going through. I have degenerated discs at L4-L5-S1 and taking treatment to manage the pain and to make my core muscles stronger. I currently ride a Pulsar 200NS and occasionally, a Honda Dio. After one of my sessions with the physio, i felt as if i never had back pain. However, just 40 minutes of riding the pulsar in peak traffic, immediately after that physio session, made me groan with pain. I felt that the riding posture, coupled with the seat, is the cause for this.

I am seriously considering changing my bike. To this effect, i borrowed my friend's Classic 500 and have been using it for two days. The ride is really comfortable and my glutes have more real estate to rest upon. However, one big let-down is that awful vibration. My hands started paining after some time, even though i wore gloves. I feel it might be difficult to live with that much vibration. Having said that, i didnt experience an iota of pain while going above potholes or while in crawling traffic. Would like to get suggestion from fellow members on the bikes that i can/should consider as replacement.
ReluctantRebel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 15:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestersujay View Post
In Classic 500, is there any difference between the models that came out in 2010 & the latest 2015, 2016. Will a 2010, 2011, 2012 Classic purchase put me at a technical disadvantage over a more later version.
Yup, the front fork design is different if we compare the 2010 with the latest ones.
Old 9th October 2016, 23:50   #39
BHPian

Buying a new bike for Commuting

What I use now- A 1986 Yamaha RX 100. I am extremely comfortable with the bike and have no intention of selling it. It was a bike which came to our family when I started attending school for the first time. I like this bike to the core.

Why a new bike- Ever Since I left the merchant navy 6 months back I have to travel around 18 Km to Kakkanad from Thevara, my place of residence as part of my business. I am too lazy to take my car out so has been using the RX on most days. Since I usually travel after dusk, the bike's headlight has been a big issue. I have done all sort of mods but once I shift to top gear, it's almost pitch black. I need a bike with better lighting.

The test driving- I drove some of my employees new gen bikes like Fz and Gixxer. The drive was vey uncomfortable because of the riding posture, after 5-10 Kms, I felt very tired from riding these bikes. Next I did not want to experiment and went to RE showroom and checked the new classic. Reasonable, far better than those sport bikes. I also checked the new standard UCE. To be frank, from my experience I found the standard and classic equally comfortable but the standard was much easier to flick through traffic. I had used old bullet with left side braking extensively and could be the reason for finding it easier than the classic.

Why am I writing this, and not buying the standard from my experience- The dealership is saying that I should select the classic as it has self start and disk brakes. The sales guy tells me that the standard is the last thing any one would want to drive in heavy traffic quite in contrast to my experience.

What I inferred from my test drive- The 150 mm drums are sufficient enough on dry tarmac and for me self start offers no utility.

Should I really ditch the standard UCE and go for classic or should I stick to my guns ?

Does any one know how the new UCE behaves with drum brakes and small rear tyres under wet conditions. The old bullet with heavier crank which I used to drive was way slower than the new UCE, which picks up speed very fast.

Are the drum brakes really unsafe and is there an option for upgrading?
Old 10th October 2016, 08:23   #40
BHPian

Re: Buying a new bike for Commuting

Yes, drum brakes are not safe. Imo, they feel inadequate even on a scooter, let alone a bike. You'll be putting yourself and others around you in danger.

If comfort is what you want, why not get the thunderbird 350? It's very relaxing to ride it and has powerful headlamps as well.

Though for commuting, fz / gixxer is still the best bet with smooth, refined engines and high mileage without sacrificing performance. And they are extremely light as well. And riding position is not bad, it's a flat handle bar. You'll be fine after a few days. Reconsider it.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 10th October 2016 at 08:26.
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 10:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a new bike for Commuting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
What I have to travel around 18 Km to Kakkanad from Thevara, my place of residence as part of my business. Since I usually travel after dusk, the bike's headlight has been a big issue.
Mate from what your requirement and purpose seems to be, you need a commuter bike. Depending on how comfortable you are with RE's they are not that cumbersome while in city traffic while commuting. But make no mistake they are no match for regular commuters like Honda Unicorn, Hornet, etc (the latter comes with front and rear disc brakes). which are city commuting workhorses. From the current stable of RE's the Tbird is somewhat cumbersome to ride in city day to day given its forward set footpegs coupled with that huge fuel tank. The headlight on the Tbird is the best among its counterparts from RE. Well if you want to choose among RE's then I would suggest you to go for RE Electra(name changed to Bullet 350). It has a very nice suspension set up compared to Standard 350 coupled with front disc brake and electric start. The front disc brake can be a life saver while panic braking while the electric start comes in handy while waiting at the traffic signal for quick starting.

If you want a bike with good headlamp other than RE then see to it that the headlight bulb comes with a rating of 55W. Test ride and decide.
Old 10th October 2016, 14:45   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
From the current stable of RE's the Tbird is somewhat cumbersome to ride in city day to day given its forward set footpegs coupled with that huge fuel tank. The headlight on the Tbird is the best among its counterparts from RE. Well if you want to choose among RE's then I would suggest you to go for RE Electra(name changed to Bullet 350). It has a very nice suspension set up compared to Standard 350 coupled with front disc brake and electric start. The front disc brake can be a life saver while panic braking while the electric start comes in handy while waiting at the traffic signal for quick starting.

If you want a bike with good headlamp other than RE then see to it that the headlight bulb comes with a rating of 55W. Test ride and decide.

I could not see a bullet 350 with disk brakes at the showroom. I had asked for an Electra but they said it was unavailable.
I have used the RX and was OK with 130 mm drums. I am not interested in FZ, Gixxer etc as they are not all comfortable.

The Bullet standard is the bike which I am more comfortable with. I was told that the dealership can fix disk brakes. Would it be reliable and efficient.
Old 10th October 2016, 15:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
I could not see a bullet 350 with disk brakes at the showroom.
Mate look here on RE's website. The Bullet 350 has a suffix of (ES) which stands for electric start.
https://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/bullet-350#!silver
Quote:
I had asked for an Electra but they said it was unavailable.
Those morons like the whole world believe that Electra production has stopped. They don't know only the badge has changed from Electra to Bullet 350(ES).
Quote:
I have used the RX and was OK with 130 mm drums.
The fact is average riding speed has increased over the years on our national highways thanks to 4 laned and 6 laned roads. A drum brake howsoever effective can never ever match a disc brake's braking ability. Mate I have changed the drum brakes of my 1996 RE Standard CI Bullet to disc brakes upfront and have seen a world of difference. Also remember nowadays even scooters have started coming with disc brakes. Rest it is your choice.
Quote:
I am not interested in FZ, Gixxer etc as they are not all comfortable.
I didn't suggest FZ and Gixxer mate, I suggested Honda Unicorn, Hornet, etc.
Quote:
The Bullet standard is the bike which I am more comfortable with. I was told that the dealership can fix disk brakes. Would it be reliable and efficient.
Mate I think in your mind you have decided on the Bullet Standard 350, please go ahead. But remember there is no meaning in getting a disc brake retrofitted and spending money when one can buy the Bullet 350(ES) from the showroom with disc brake + electric start.

Coming to not using Electric start. My Tbird500 comes with ES but I seldom use it as I like kick starting it. But the ES comes in real handy while waiting at signals and other such situations when quick start is needed. I would also like to mention that the new UCE motors are high compression engines and require a lot of effort for kick starting compared to low compression older CI engines. Five to Seven kicks on a UCE and one starts sweating with their knees shivering due to high compression engine.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 10th October 2016 at 15:53.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 15:53   #44
BHPian

I am having lower back pain on and off for the last eight years. Nothing too serious but the pain springs up now and then. So, usually on my way back from office I ride pillion with any one of my colleagues on the same way. Usually it will be a Pulsar 150, which didn't give any painful jerks. But one day I decided to ride pillion with a friend having Desert Storm. Boy that was the last time I sat on an Enfield. The jerks are too much to bear, and by the time I was home, my back pain had increased severely.
Old 10th October 2016, 21:50   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Mate look here on RE's website. The Bullet 350 has a suffix of (ES) which stands for electric start.
https://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/bullet-350#!silver
Those morons like the whole world believe that Electra production has stopped. They don't know only the badge has changed from Electra to Bullet 350(ES).
If the bullet is available with a disk brake then it's no brainer. I checked the RE Site, there is a version with disk.

Why I like the standard more- Upright riding position and not so wide handle bars. I can drive with a slight bent on my elbows. The Fz and Gixxers are very stable but after a while the posture is very irritating.
The RX is so loved because it has enough power to save you from tricky positions on the streets yet offers good riding posture.

For me when ever my elbows are straight I cannot steer the bike with ease. With the Enfield I can sit pretty forward and have my elbows slightly bent. I don't find the new model cumbersome to drive in Kochi's traffic as the sales guy said. I have used old left side brake bullets when I was in College, I do not find it intimidating.

If I can get a Bullet 350 with disk fitted that would be ideal but if it's not there I would fix it from the dealer. But not going out with drum brakes all around.

I have considered the Unicorn I like it better than the Fz but still it's not as comfortable as the Bullet or RX.

It's quite ironic that the RX has to share it's responsibilities with a bike which was it's antithesis when the RX was launched.

Motorcycles has evolved so towards the sports bike segment that the only bike in production which has a good posture is the Bullet. The big fuel tanks and straight handle bars have made motorcycling painful and less enjoyable for me. I really wanted a Yamaha for reliability but the Fz, R15 are having insane riding postures.
Captain Haddock is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed