Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:26   #16
BHPian

Re: 2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong

Beautiful thats the only word that comes to my mind.

I own a 2005 red karizma, before which i had a 2005 black karizma which unfortunately i had to sell due to some personal reasons,as soon as i could i went back and picked up another karizma.

My bike was idle for three years from 2012 to 2015,i started riding her in 2016 January again and boy she makes me go crazy, i rode a ktm 200 a few days back and loved the pick up and all but as soon as i was back on the karizma my God it was like butter smooth.

My bike has done about 45k and runs great.I do the maintenance myself,Honda are basically trouble free, just change the oil regularly and your good to go.

i need some parts however which unfortunately i haven't been able to source out here,in case if you could help i would be really thankful.
scorpian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 13:40   #17
BHPian

Oh this thread now reminds me of my 2005 Silver ZMA. What a gem of a machine it was. Rode it till 2011 after which I had to sell it off as I was leaving country.

I've done most of my touring on this fantastic motorcycle. Upgraded to Michelin M45 and M62 Gazelle tires and life was so sorted.

The only issue I had was getting spare parts like Timing Chain tensioner, front Disc pads (the originial Nissin pads costed about 2700 bucks at one point) and Chain & sprocket sets. There were instances when I knew one particular ASC in Blr had stock and I literally had to beg them to stock an extra pair.

Apart from these minor niggles it was the most fun bike I ever owned. The current owner still asks me if I wanna rebuy it from him, but at a higher price than what I sold it for 5 years back.
Coplay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 13:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

That's a superbly kept Karizma! Very nice effort in keeping it in the stock condition. As you noted somewhere, till the time the partnership between Hero and Honda was there, the machines were excellent. Don't know how much that holds true only for one of the partners (Hero) now.

When I was in college some 10-12 years ago, the Karizma was one of "the" bikes to have. Also, I am seeing this beautiful blue color for the first time; all I know is the black, yellow or red color. I was going to suggest you to change the tires, but then I saw that you have already done that. It's a beautifully kept bike, no doubt on that.

One strange thing I have observed about all Karizma's out on the road; is that out of the two rear brake lights, one is always kaput. I have rarely seen a Karizma with both brake lights working. Has that happened with you as well?
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Hero should be criminally charged for ruining the Karizma.
Absolutely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
I guess you meant ZMA-R
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
It is not oil filter but only strainer. Centrifugal filter is located inside of clutch cover.

What is the function of CCVI switch?
Yes, it's a oil strainer. Have no idea of the centrifugal filter. Does it need to be changed periodically, because there is no mention of it in the owner's manual?

The CCVI switch gives slightly variable throttle control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
i need some parts however which unfortunately i haven't been able to source out here,in case if you could help i would be really thankful.
Most parts I ever required including front disks etc. were always easily available in my local market and quite economical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
One strange thing I have observed about all Karizma's out on the road; is that out of the two rear brake lights, one is always kaput. I have rarely seen a Karizma with both brake lights working. Has that happened with you as well?
Both lights are working perfectly. Though I do remember that one bulb blew a few years back but it was easily replaced and going strong.

Thanks for all your good wishes. Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 23rd May 2016 at 14:22.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Have no idea of the centrifugal filter. Does it need to be changed periodically, because there is no mention of it in the owner's manual?
Never needed changing or cleaning in my 91300+ km experience so far.
Leave it as is.
Divya Sharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:20   #21
BHPian

That's been immaculately kept, dkaile! It was THE motorcycle which sparked the touring scene in the country. Glad to see you've kept it with so much care. The glistening paint and steel looks absolutely wonderful!

Hero would never be forgiven for ruining a cult brand.

Wish you all the luck for your Ladakh expedition on either of the bikes.
forester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Your DIY knowledge is astounding to a newbie like me. Glad to see this capable machine being brought back to life

It looks impeccably maintained and a good decision to change her shoes, although an all terrain type tyre would have been the best for it

A stock bike in pristine condition has its own charm, but if it were me, I would have explored opportunities to see how some weight can be dropped off and make the body work more minimalistic

I remember seeing a scrambler type Karizma on some thread right here on Tbhp. Absolute drool maal and not to mention, removing fairings and some plastic panels help reduce the annoying vibes that many complain of and offer some weight saving too
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 14:10   #23
BHPian

Im really amazed at the condition your Karizma has been maintained. Great job!
Those less kms would have certainly helped as well in keeping the panels together. Karizma is notorious for its panel rattles in its bikini fairing and the rear panels which are held together only by some plastic screws.

It was the bike I always dreamed of owning one day when i was in school
I did have a fair stint with a 'R' and loved that engine and comfortable seating.

Cheers!
vamsi2390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 14:40   #24
BANNED

Cleanest first lot of Karizma I have ever seen, this colour was also premium that time, cheers and hats off the way you maintained your bike. Try to source plastic parts and store it from the same version if you can.
Ajaybiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 15:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Extremely well maintained bike. The Karizma was an extremely well built bike to start with, so even basic maintenance if done would keep the bike looking and running like new. BTW that's quite a rare colour. Haven't seen many on the road. Majority are Red, Black and Yellow.

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 24th May 2016 at 15:14. Reason: Correcting Typo
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 16:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Got this professional looking Handlebar Hazard Warning Switch from AliExpress for Rs. 115/-, so decided to change the amateurish push button switch that I had previously installed -

2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong-karizma-handlebar-hazard-switch_1.jpg

Here it is installed on the handlebar. I installed it upside down so that the wires were nicely hidden and it matched our on/off style

2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong-karizma-handlebar-hazard-switch_2.jpg

2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong-karizma-handlebar-hazard-switch_3.jpg

Clean install from the back too with powder coated clamp and screws. Great quality for the price.

2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong-karizma-handlebar-hazard-switch_4.jpg

Some rain protection for my beauts

2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong-karizma-harley-rain-cover.jpg

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 25th May 2016 at 16:32.
dkaile is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 12:31   #27
BHPian

Dkaile Sir, Excellently maintained Karizma, Attention to detail in all you DIY is another achievement. Kudos for your patience and sincerity. I tried to acquire one here, but by the time Hero stopped producing the older version, I simply didn't like the newer version. Hope I could lay my hands on a good one in the seconds market here in Chennai. Why can't Hero starts the older Karizma's production and name it as classic like what Fiat did with their Linea? Hero are you listening...? My cheque is ready if you decide to start the production.
7heaven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 13:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7heaven View Post
My cheque is ready if you decide to start the production.
Lolz... Thank you for your nice words. Keep your cheque ready and fingers crossed as you never know if I may be ready to part with it in case I go ahead with my booking of the Himalayan, as I don't have space in my garage...

2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong-royal-enfield-himalayan-test-ride-26052016_2.jpg

2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong-royal-enfield-himalayan-test-ride-26052016_3.jpg

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 14:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Review - JOYRIDE Seat Cover

As my original seat cover had also lasted 12 long years and still going strong, I noticed it had become slightly shiny and slippery with time and also used to heat a lot in summers. So I came across this product called JOYRIDE Seat Covers who 'claim' that their seat covers are made using material made by 'supposedly' Phase Change Material (PCM) used by no less than.... wait for it.... NASA !!!

2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong-joyride-seat-covers.jpg

No vested interests here, just sharing. Now I do not know if the claim was for real but seeing the reviews and net presence I presume they should not be lying. It costed me 565 bucks plus shipping, total coming to 594/- landed in Meerut by VPP (Pay on delivery) by India Post. And it supposedly comes with a 3 years warranty! Who gives warranty on a seat cover!! It reached me today and here are the results -

Came well packed

2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong-joyride-seat-cover-karizma-28052016_1.jpg

Logo printed on the inside with velcro straps and tightening strings along the periphery

2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong-joyride-seat-cover-karizma-28052016_2.jpg

Not very impressive on first sight

2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong-joyride-seat-cover-karizma-28052016_3.jpg

The self-installation process starts

2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong-joyride-seat-cover-karizma-28052016_5.jpg

and FAILS miserably!! Even after all the proper stretching and huffing and puffing... lolz

2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong-joyride-seat-cover-karizma-28052016_6.jpg

So off it goes to a seat cover professional, who properly stretches and staples it. Total damages is 20 bucks

2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong-joyride-seat-cover-karizma-28052016_9.jpg

And the result is.... VOILA !!

2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong-joyride-seat-cover-karizma-28052016_8.jpg

A close up of the nylon material used. Really good and impressive. Thumbs Up!

2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong-joyride-seat-cover-karizma-28052016_4.jpg

Their brand is embossed on the pillion side

2004 Hero Honda Karizma - Still going strong-joyride-seat-cover-karizma-28052016_10.jpg

Overall Impressions - I am quite pleased with the final result. The seat material looked OEM high quality and glossiness and slipperiness has disappeared. It is now soft and will hopefully remain quite cools also after all their tall claims.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 28th May 2016 at 14:33.
dkaile is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 15:07   #30
BHPian

Hi, Wow what a well maintained bike! Do you still have the bike?
I just got myself a Karizma R- needs some work and Tender loving care! So am looking for an Owners manual as a start - where can I get one? (in pdf format too)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks