Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2016, 13:52   #31
BHPian

Re: My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post

Ah Gotcha what you are trying to tell. Am confident that its not happening but however I shall take a few photos later today and will try to post them whilst doing the exercise.

If going by what you say is true, then RE must be taken to the courts as its a safety hazard. They will not be able to clear fitness tests conducted by RTO (Not sure if ARAI also tests for safety)
Ah brother, now you understand why the center stand is an optional extra and not the part of the standard equipment's list. Also we conduct more stringent and in depth tests compared to ARAI or RTO.

As a owner of a Himalayan I have no reason to not tell the truth. I like the bike, it just has a few foibles that must be fixed.

I have checked it happens on all the Himalayans with a center stand.
Old 19th May 2016, 14:53   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitc7 View Post
I have already deleted the center stand option from my bike (yes its an optional extra) I have a paddock stand at home and will use some ingenuity on the road.
Hi When I took delivery the centre stand was not listed as an option, but was part of the bike. And none of my other four friends also weren't aware of this...
I haven't noticed this phenomenon yet in my rides. I will probably go over potholes and humps a little faster and look for this.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 15:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post
Congratulations on the new bike mate. Mine is yet to come, sometime next month hopefully!
Congratulations to you mate on booking the Himalayan. I know how anxious it feels to wait during the pre-delivery period. Every minute seems like a year. Do share your ownership review once you lay your hands on it.
Quote:
Also, I agree with your comparison with the TB500. I have a C500 and the Himalayan though lacks on the humongous 44Nm torque, it gives a much more smoother and comfortable ride. The suspension on the TB500 and C500 is leagues behind.
Mate I believe the 44 Nm torque is a typo the UCE 500 motors belt out 41 odd Nm of torque. RE has retained the bottom end torque delivery in this OHC 410cc motor and also since it is a long stroke motor it has that typical torque delivery seen in big single push rod motors. Like Mahesh did we would like you too to give us a comparison report between C500 and the Himalayan in detail.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 19th May 2016 at 15:39.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 16:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations buddy. I am very happy to know that you are enjoying your new ride.

Million dollar question - why on earth will anybody move from FZ1 to RE bikes? (no disrespect intended man; just absolutely baffled!)
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 20:41   #35
BHPian

My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White

Quote:
Keep the bike on the side stand and press down and release, the stand will hit the chain.
This was first reported in Overdrive and I also checked this in the bike in the showroom which was in side stand. However, once you sit in the saddle the mono shocks will push down the center stand and there would be enough space between the stand and the chain and they don't come in contact. Thus, I think it's designed that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Hi When I took delivery the centre stand was not listed as an option, but was part of the bike. And none of my other four friends also weren't aware of this...

There was this rumor post launch (esp. after the overdrive report) that the center stand will be optional and there was a large hue and cry over how would you make the bike stand incase the rear wheel is removed to fix punctures. But when I checked this with the dealer the answer was clear. The center stand comes as standard fitment along with the bike and it has been so for all bikes delivered so far. So nothing to worry in this regard.

However, let's wait for owners to check and report on the issue while riding.

Last edited by Jude300 : 19th May 2016 at 20:43.
Jude300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 10:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, Mahesh on the Himalayan.

I must say you have covered every little element in so much detail and the passion and enthusiasm in your posts are so much like a kid in a candy store. I don't think you were this excited with the FZ-1 or the TB500.

Enjoyed reading your initial impressions. Have fun and wish you many miles of happy and safe travails.

P.S. Ages since we caught up. Let's ride out soon. We haven't seen each other's bikes as well.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 13:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Congratulations,
P.S. Ages since we caught up. Let's ride out soon. We haven't seen each other's bikes as well.
Honestly Aditya, This motorcycle seems to be an extension of my expressions on motorcycling. This weekend you are off, else we could have caught up over cuppa caffeine & nicotine

What's stopping you from writing a thread on your Bonnie? What all goodies did it get from the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post

However, let's wait for owners to check and report on the issue while riding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Million dollar question - why on earth will anybody move from FZ1 to RE bikes? (no disrespect intended man; just absolutely baffled!)
FZ1 was very good machine when I had only speed as the sole requirement. After a certain point in time, it tends to get very mechanical and that's when you feel the lack of connect with it. Yes its after all a machine.

It's not that I do not care much for the finesse, quality, precision of a machine but me being me...I would get bored with it.

Quote:
I have checked it happens on all the Himalayans with a center stand.
Amit,
Did verify your comment and I did not observe anything as such. The stand has a good clearance from the chain and the stand is held in its place by two stopper rubbers.

My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White-img20160520wa0000.jpg My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White-img20160520wa0001.jpg

Now observe the gap between the chain and stand.

And if you have noticed, the chain nor the center stand have any love bites on them. This means that there is no interference between the chain and center stand.

My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White-img20160520wa0002.jpgMy Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White-img20160520wa0003.jpg

If there is a fall, this would be one of the primary things any Himalayan Owner must be looking into.

Regarding the Center Stand being an optional buy, Am sure I was not charged for it. Unable to locate my receipt but will scan/upload for everyone's benefit over the weekend.
ku69rd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 13:54   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Amit,
Did verify your comment and I did not observe anything as such. The stand has a good clearance from the chain and the stand is held in its place by two stopper rubbers.

Attachment 1509044 Attachment 1509045

Now observe the gap between the chain and stand.

And if you have noticed, the chain nor the center stand have any love bites on them. This means that there is no interference between the chain and center stand.

Attachment 1509046Attachment 1509047

If there is a fall, this would be one of the primary things any Himalayan Owner must be looking into.

Regarding the Center Stand being an optional buy, Am sure I was not charged for it. Unable to locate my receipt but will scan/upload for everyone's benefit over the weekend.
As I said it happens only on the rebound of the monoshock. And I'm being picky about it because I do not like anything bothering my chain while I'm going off road. BTW the stand knocks the chain when you compress and release i.e.(press down on the bike and release it). If it is no longer happening then; 'Thank You RE for listening'

As for the bill concerned, it was part of the essential pack of Rs. 5000 when I booked mine, that includes the following - Saree guard, side grab handle (although I thought it is integrated), Center stand and few more annoying bits and bobs for RTO purposes. The amount is part of your ex-showroom price.

I deleted the center stand, saree guard and the same was reduced from my final invoice post registration. Hope that is clear.

Happy riding
Old 20th May 2016, 13:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I said it happens only on the rebound of the monoshock.
Amit,
I have ridden the bike over loads of undulations and never slowed down on the road humps. But still the chain or the stand does not have any marks of sparring with each other.

Suppose its better we move on from the topic as am unable to find any traces of it.

Have a good ride mate
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 09:32   #40
BHPian

Congrats mate on the Himalayan! I was eagerly waiting to see a Ownership thread and should say I was not disappointed. Do keep posting the updates.

I have been off regular riding for last 15yrs. Used my CBZ on & off but more off than on. Have been toying with the idea of getting a Bull for the last 4-5 years. Finally, ended up in Technik Motors (Sarjapur Road) to book a Bullet 500. The test bike was out of petrol, so out of curiosity drove the Himalayan while waiting for the Bullet. I was completely blown away - it was very comfortable and league away from other REs in terms of engine smoothness, vibrations and ride quality in general. My back had a big smile as well. So went ahead and booked a White Himalayan and hopefully will get it soon.

The only thing (and this is subjective) is the looks. Initially in the pics (before I saw it in flesh), I thought it looked like a dirt bike and less of a adventurer tourer. In flesh, it looks much better. However, I would be more happier if the front and sides were a little bit more stylish/ fleshed out ...morel like the Versys But I guess this is something that you get used to. Eagerly awaiting the bike and waiting to take it for a long spin.

All the best again. And looking forward to pics from your rides.
rohing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 13:35   #41
BHPian

Hearty congratulations ku69rd! I also prefer the Himalayan in Snow. It looks very elegant.

Coming from someone who's had the TB500 for a considerable time, your comparison points are going to be of real help to prospective buyers.

Would love to see how it fares over time and with your expeditions on it.

Enjoy riding!
Old 21st May 2016, 18:21   #42
BHPian

Congratulations ku69rd!!

Mine is a very similar story as well. Was looking for a reliable tourer but i was not into bullets, Was contemplating a Benelli 600TNT when spy shots of the Himalayan started appearing. Was love at first (Actual Camouflage less) sight. Waited near HSR Enterprises Rajajinagar till 11:30pm on 15th of march to have the first glimpse of the bike, and booked the bike in the morning on 16 of March (First booking of the showroom). Got the delivery on the 21st of April. (Mine was the first snow white to be delivered from the showroom).

Have completed 2000kms in a month and really happy with the bike. Except for a couple of niggling issues, the bike is perfect.

PS, Ive been getting around 25-27Kmpl, mainly because i havent been gentle on her, though i have stuck to a strict Run In.
Attached Thumbnails
My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White-3b1b556da90745abb18ea6c55b83c237.jpg  

My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White-13055519_10154773856679377_4739227442552365528_n.jpg  

My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White-13124609_10154800720009377_5530974018880484756_n.jpg  

My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White-13220824_10153501152397231_2513060238948641836_n.jpg  

cadaver_prad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 16:40   #43
BHPian

Congrats Mahesh on the bike and for the brilliant write up of the bike & buying experience.

In fact based on the test ride I did the day it was out for that duty, I echo most of the things you have mentioned about this bike. I was especially impressed with the Handling, Braking & Suspension. At the end it is good value for money and personally I think RE have actually made this bike like a motorcycle and not like a gun as with their other models

Wish you many many miles of enjoyable riding.
Haroon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 17:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A write up of my budding experience with yet another mindless acquisition in my motorcycling life.
Congratulations Mahesh.

Aren't we all "mindless" at times. Some of us are in that state more number of times.

I am waiting to see how your experience with this goes. All the best

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 22:33   #45
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations ku69rd on a fine acquisition. Do post some better quality photos. I too intend/ed to buy the Himalayan but will be waiting for sometime more for RE to get the niggling issues sorted out and also to see how the new engine fares few thousand kms down the line. Do keep posted all the niggles, issues and positives you face over time.

Ride safe, ride fully geared and wishing you many happy 'miles' on the bike and don't let your friends post pictures on the Himalayan with 'chappals'...lolz.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed