Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Congrats Mahesh on the bike and for the brilliant write up of the bike & buying experience.
Wish you many many miles of enjoyable riding.
Thank you very much Haroon Sir, you both are a very good inspirational couple for bikers. Missed out on the MTM last year and if things go well will be around this year. Hopefully will bump into you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Congratulations Mahesh.
Thank you very much Nair Sir, Howz your RD doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Congratulations ku69rd on a fine acquisition.
Thank you Dheeraj Saab, for sure I cannot match your photographic skills. Your threads are a real treat to read and get to know more facts. Will keep this thread as neutral as possible and report all the incidents.
Still need to update on the Service & my Sunday ride.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 12:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White | Service Update

First Service

Was able to complete the stipulated 500 kms within two weeks of ownership. Phone call made to HSR Service Number and the appointment was made. Since this was the first service, I preferred to be with the bike and have it completed. Ideally picked the monday of May 16th. Reported the bike on time by 9:00 AM as I wanted to get the quick 90 minute service. Since this was the first service nothing major was involved excepting an oil change and filter replacement.

Bike Wash was done satisfactorily considering the huge numbers that they get. Oil was drained out first by removing the drain bolt and then the drain cover. Chain was tightened and the engine bedding bolts were torqued to the right measures. Was contemplating on removing the Saree guard but then decided against removing it till the panniers are available in the market. No story line behind retaining the saree guard. The majority of the allen bolts can be re-torqued using the size 4. Have forgotten about the spanner unit number he used to tighten the engine bedding bolts and a few other chassis bits. Even the plastic parts including the windscreen was re-torqued which made me wonder on the vibe free of the bike. However was surprised with the amount of turns the exhaust bolt had loosened itself. I suppose it makes a better sense to check/re-torque all the main bolts periodically once in 800 kms when the chain is cleaned/lubed.

The engine oil discharged from the vehicle had its usual share of metal dust. What was heartening was that the oil had not lost much of its properties, difference in volume was negligible which meant no blown oil seals, smelt normal with no burnt tinge to it. However the drain cover in my bike had come without an over ring which was surprising to me. The setup from factory was so good that there was no leaking oil. However the service guy ensured that a new over ring was put in its place. When seating the drain cover in place the filter (not the oil filter) needs to be put properly in place lest it brakes. It did look fragile though and am sorry I missed taking photos of them.
Have attached a photo for all owners to double check. I thought I had paid 184760 without any discount how could RE deliver a bike to me with no drain over-ring? Can this be added to Pre-Delivery Checklist? Does not make sense to me since the part was replaced free of cost and I was not inconvenienced with no leaking oil.

My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White-img20160524wa0001.jpg

Another word of caution is to ensure that the spray guy does not spray directly on the oil cooler. The fins will get bent as the pressure of water is high for the fins to stand brave. If you have a good spray setup at home do it yourself.

Spokes are good and did not need any truing up.

Post Service

Bike has improved in terms of better ride. The clutch adjustment has made the shifts very smooth. So I believe the clutch needs to be check for any additional play once in 800 kms when the chain is cleaned/lubed. The engine clatter has sobered down and the noises made during the low end of the rev range have eased a bit. Does a single change of oil do so much of stuff?

The service set me aback by 930 Rs with the oil filter, 1.8 Liters of Engine oil, Consumables replaced.

I will have another replacement of oil and oil filter once the vehicle does 2000 Kms. The stipulated second free service is at 5000 or 6 months whichever is earlier.

Mods Planned: Have been exploring options to convert the tube tires to tubeless and will update once I get ahead with it. The Renthal handlebars look yummy along with the resonate charge plus.

Next Up: An early morning ride for Dosa ended up me doing a 360 Bangalore
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 00:21   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Tell those knot heads with their high pressure washers to stay away from your motorcycle.

High pressure washing has caused more problems than almost anything I can think of.

The engine and wheel bearing seals, brake caliper seals and electrical harnesses are not designed to withstand the blast from high pressure water like those things produce.

If they wish to clean your motorcycle, tell them to use a gently running water hose and a clean rag.
ArizonaJim is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 00:45   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
First Service

Have attached a photo for all owners to double check. I thought I had paid 184760 without any discount how could RE deliver a bike to me with no drain over-ring? Can this be added to Pre-Delivery Checklist? Does not make sense to me since the part was replaced free of cost and I was not inconvenienced with no leaking oil.

[/b]
I have a query, is it normal for them to remove the drain cover and not just the drain plug? Or is the filter inside the drain cover too?
In most cases the service guys just remove the drain plug and change the oil and filter.
Old 25th May 2016, 09:14   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First Service
Since this was the first service nothing major was involved excepting an oil change and filter replacement.
The engine oil discharged from the vehicle had its usual share of metal dust. What was heartening was that the oil had not lost much of its properties, difference in volume was negligible which meant no blown oil seals, smelt normal with no burnt tinge to it.
First of all, hearty congratulations on the Himalayan and on completing the initial run in successfully. I firmly believe if an RE runs for a year without any issues, it means it's a niggle free bike.Fortunately and touchwood my CL500 is one of them.
Regarding the engine oil, any idea which one had they used, since RE claims for no oil change for 10K kms. If it's the same liquid gun i am a bit doubtful.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 25th May 2016 at 09:16.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 17:53   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
The engine and wheel bearing seals, brake caliper seals and electrical harnesses are not designed to withstand the blast from high pressure water like those things produce.
Acknowledge Jim, that's generally how I treat it myself. Not a big fan of Hi Pressure wash ever since my first RD had a busted Engine Mainshaft bearing post the wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitc7 View Post
I have a query, is it normal for them to remove the drain cover and not just the drain plug? Or is the filter inside the drain cover too?
In most cases the service guys just remove the drain plug and change the oil and filter.
I have been told that the oil gets fully drained when you remove the drain cover rather than just the drain bolt. So it depends on which way the service guy would actually want it to go.

Suppose I will ensure that the drain cover is removed every time there is an oil change and will also change the over ring as part of the exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
First of all, hearty congratulations on the Himalayan and on completing the initial run in successfully.
Thank you Rakesh, Suppose they used Semi Synthetic Oil for replacing the oil as it costed me 630 if my memory is correct.

So far, I have been having a good time with the Himalayan.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 22:58   #52
BHPian

Congrats ku69rd!
And that was an amazing review of the Himalayan. Appreciate the time & energy you have used to post the detailed report which is very useful.
I am taking delivery of my Himalayan Snow this weekend and may be we can go have a Sunday morning breakfast together. :-)
Need to do the 500 km run-in and 1st service of my Himalayan asap so that I can go on a planned overnight trip next month with by riding buddies.
Happy riding. Cheers!
hollywoodhogan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 03:37   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
First Service

Was able to complete the stipulated 500 kms within two weeks of ownership. ...
Since this was the first service nothing major was involved excepting an oil change and filter replacement.

The engine oil discharged from the vehicle had its usual share of metal dust. What was heartening was that the oil had not lost much of its properties, difference in volume was negligible which meant no blown oil seals, smelt normal with no burnt tinge to it. However the drain cover in my bike had come without an over ring which was surprising to me. The setup from factory was so good that there was no leaking oil. However the service guy ensured that a new over ring was put in its place. When seating the drain cover in place the filter (not the oil filter) needs to be put properly in place lest it brakes. It did look fragile though and am sorry I missed taking photos of them.

Bike has improved in terms of better ride. The clutch adjustment has made the shifts very smooth. So I believe the clutch needs to be check for any additional play once in 800 kms when the chain is cleaned/lubed. The engine clatter has sobered down and the noises made during the low end of the rev range have eased a bit. Does a single change of oil do so much of stuff?

The service set me aback by 930 Rs with the oil filter, 1.8 Liters of Engine oil, Consumables replaced.

I will have another replacement of oil and oil filter once the vehicle does 2000 Kms. The stipulated second free service is at 5000 or 6 months whichever is earlier.
I cannot explain the missing O-ring in the cover but the fact that it did not leak oil says a lot about the quality of the parts machining.

As a side note, I once owned a 1958 Mercedes Benz 220 sedan.
The engines oil pan, a aluminum casting that covered the entire bottom of the engine was machined so well a gasket or sealing compound was not required.
In fact, MB did not even sell a gasket for that joint.

Getting back to the O-ring, as long as the O-ring and the adjacent surfaces are totally clean and the O-ring has not been damaged by someone trying to remove it it should last for years, even if the cover is removed at each oil change.

I intentionally did not change the O-ring seals on my 2011, Royal Enfield G5 (Electra), 500cc, fuel injected UCE oil filter cover and oil pump inlet screen cover for 4 years and 15 oil changes without a problem of any kind.
I did replace them on the 16th oil and filter change just because I had a large collection of them building up from the previous changes. (O-rings come in each filter kit)

A question was asked about the early oil and filter changes Royal Enfield requires:
As the moving parts wear in during the break in period, a lot of fine metallic particles are deposited in the oil.
The large particles end up trapped in the oil filter but it is a good idea to get even the very fine particles out of the engine.
This explains the early oil and filter change requirements.

Cleaning the oil pump inlet screen (filter) is also a good idea during the initial oil change.
Often, debris that was lurking in the nooks and crannies of the engine become washed out during the break in period and these end up on the outside of the inlet screen.

I know that the Royal Enfield UCE's that were built during its early years of production often had large masses of cloth-like fiber found covering the pump inlet screen during the first oil change.
It was joked that someone had literally "thrown in the towel" while he was working.

Later it was found that some of the mechanics were wearing cotton gloves and it was fibers from these that were found in the pump inlet screen.
Royal Enfield changed its policy so these gloves are no longer used and the pump inlet clogging problem no longer exists on the newly built motorcycles.

Anyway, after the first early oil changes have been done the oil and filter change interval can safely go to the 10,000 km distance the book mentions.
ArizonaJim is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 12:30   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
I am taking delivery of my Himalayan Snow this weekend and may be we can go have a Sunday morning breakfast together. :-)
Happy riding. Cheers!
Hearty Congratulations on getting the Himalayan. Yes we can plan one of these weekends for a breakfast ride

My last breakfast ride went for a good 360 kms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I cannot explain the missing O-ring in the cover but the fact that it did not leak oil says a lot about the quality of the parts machining.

Anyway, after the first early oil changes have been done the oil and filter change interval can safely go to the 10,000 km distance the book mentions.
Jim,
Agree with you on the quality of materials used and the machining it has gone through. But nevertheless these are basic mistakes which RE should build a process to overcome during their assembly. Imagine if the same had happened for a newbie? Do you think it would have been a worthy experience?

On the O-Ring change, India with all its tropical heat & dust, I would prefer to change them at every service. Once the drain cover is removed, the exposure to natural elements and dust is what am bothered about.
The oil screen was cleaned but I will be particular to keep an eye on that part as well and replace it at least once in two services if am not convinced.

This how I will propose to change my oil for the Himalayan Snow

1) First Oil Change - 500 Kms
2) Second Oil Change - 2000 Kms
3) Third Oil Change - 5000 kms
4) Fourth Oil Change - 10000 kms

Once the fourth oil change is done, I will assess if the next change can be done at 17500 kms. Would not want to use the oil for more than 7500 as I have my own fears on the longevity of oil.
Old 26th May 2016, 12:56   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Hearty Congratulations on getting the Himalayan.
This how I will propose to change my oil for the Himalayan Snow

1) First Oil Change - 500 Kms
2) Second Oil Change - 2000 Kms
3) Third Oil Change - 5000 kms
4) Fourth Oil Change - 10000 kms

Once the fourth oil change is done, I will assess if the next change can be done at 17500 kms. Would not want to use the oil for more than 7500 as I have my own fears on the longevity of oil.
I plan to do it after the 2000 Km mark. But after that I want to see the oil condition and take a call.
In my invoice they had mentioned a HP brand lubricant. Not sure of the specific name.
Old 26th May 2016, 13:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
In my invoice they had mentioned a HP brand lubricant. Not sure of the specific name.
Interesting Arulji, my invoice mentioned it as RE Engine Oil 15W50.
So am thinking if its the same oil they use for TB and GT as well.
Old 26th May 2016, 14:06   #57
BHPian

Congratulations on the Himalayan.

I got mine yesterday and already clocked in 100kms. Did you feel the engine heating up more than usual. I ask this because this is my first RE bike and my earlier rides(Fiero/ZMA) didn't heat up this much even though they were being run in.

Some pictures of my bike:

My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White-20160525_105140.jpg

My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White-20160525_111656.jpg

My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White-20160525_111708.jpg
vishal.joshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 15:40   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.joshi View Post
Congratulations on the Himalayan.
Did you feel the engine heating up more than usual.

Congratulations on getting the Himalayan in Snow White attire.

Compared to the other RE, this engine does tend to get a bit heated up but so far it has not degraded the performance.
Old 26th May 2016, 17:17   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting Arulji, my invoice mentioned it as RE Engine Oil 15W50.
So am thinking if its the same oil they use for TB and GT as well.
Not the same oil. Can confirm.

I was at the ASC in Bhandup, Mumbai a couple of weeks back getting the routine service stuff done. They had a different barrel of oil, 15W50 branded specially for Himalayan.

I suppose it is semi-synthetic, as someone suggested in one of these Himalayan ownership threads. Sorry, I don't remember who it was.
Old 26th May 2016, 17:23   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post
I suppose it is semi-synthetic, Sorry, I don't remember who it was.
Yes my hunch is the same, and it was me who was hinting at that. But I shall confirm by this weekend when I visit them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks