Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2016, 17:28   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Many thanks ku69rd. Will study the map and pm you if I have any questions.!
Sure by all means, would be more than happy to help you with the places.

So my bike was delivered back to me post the changes. A new rocker arm and clutch assembly has been replaced. But I really did not find much of any differences on the gear shift. I used to struggle when doing gear shifts at lower RPMs and the upshift action had to be synchronized appropriately for a smoother shift.

Since I was being impatient, I could not get the timing gap adjusted and will be dropping the bike again for the check.

In between I took the day off on friday and did a ride to Anshi Tiger Reserve. The bike behaved well but the cross winds were simply too much post Haveri. The way back, we took the Yellapur route and it was mind boggling. The bike was able to maintain a steady 100 all day long consistently over 1100 kms with no change in the engine tone/stress. If and only if I wish the bike did 120/130 all day long then nothing more like it

Will try to pen a different thread in Travellogues section and share the link here.
Old 12th July 2016, 20:27   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
So my bike was delivered back to me post the changes. A new rocker arm and clutch assembly has been replaced. But I really did not find much of any differences on the gear shift.
Got my rocker arm replacement also done today. My bike already had the updated clutch as per their VIN check. Change to the Classic 350 clutch cable on this new clutch and you will see an immediate increase in smoothness of gears and no stickiness in getting the neutral. Tried and tested.

Cheers...
Old 13th July 2016, 13:58   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Got my rocker arm replacement also done today.
Cheers...
Acknowledged Dheerajsaab, Will do that this weekend. It has been on my list of To Do things but somehow things are keeping me too busy away from the visit to the garage.

Hows your bike doing post the Rocker Arm upgrade? Do you have any power loss as many are perceiving it to be.
Old 14th July 2016, 08:14   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any power loss as many are perceiving it to be.
Hmmm. That's a interesting observation. Haven't done a long ride post the replacement to really pass a judgement on that. I think we will need to bed in these rocker arms too before the bike reaches its top whack. As I ride the bike mostly weekends, will post my observations after that.

Cheers...
Old 15th July 2016, 08:49   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Hows your bike doing post the Rocker Arm upgrade? Do you have any power loss as many are perceiving it to be.
Got the rocket arm updated yesterday. Did around 16kms while on the ride back from office, didn't seem to have any sort of power loss or gain. It does the same speeds at the same revs as before,though I didn't push it beyond 100 yesterday.

It feels the same as before to me albeit the engine noise. It sounds much better than the day I took the delivery of the bike.
maker_of_things is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 13:46   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post
It sounds much better than the day I took the delivery of the bike.
Ah, nice to read that. Need to get my tappets adjusted and I will share my feedback post that.
Planning to get it done this weekend and since service interval is also approaching, am contemplating on clubbing both together.
Old 26th July 2016, 14:39   #97
Senior - BHPian

Finally after a weekend of waiting with no riding, my Himalaya was delivered to me.
The tappet noise has completed disappeared and no kit-kit sound at all from the head. Gears were all smooth not exactly butter smooth. Honda owners would be proud/envious of this engine
The replacement to Classic Clutch cable seems to have worked wonders.
The 'Kithna Deti Hai' has also improved tremendously and I will not be surprised if it touches 35 Kays to a liter. Now that the bike is extremely silent on its move, the only complain I have is the tire noise which is audible on speeds in excess of 90 Kays.
The mechanic @ HSR Services has asked me to come back after 1000 kms to do a recheck on the tappets. But after doing 200 kms, it seems that the tappets are holding up just fine. All that it needs is another healthy running 700-800 kms on the open highway to realize the new found character.

Total expenses for the second service was 1180 which included an oil/oil filter change.

Hopefully I come up with a new circuit and find time either this or next weekend to accomplish.

There is now a new keeda in me which looks possible on paper but need to work out on the practicalities of doing it. Keeping my fingers crossed on making it a possibility.

With rain unrelenting, I picked up the RE Boot Cover which saves my shoes and socks from the torrential rains that Bangalore is witnessing from the last 4-5 days.

Ride hard but be safe, water makes riding all the more fun
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 14:51   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With rain unrelenting, I picked up the RE Boot Cover which saves my shoes and socks from the torrential rains that Bangalore is witnessing from the last 4-5 days.
Nice. What exactly is this boot cover? Price, photos? Will it hold good in demanding Leh conditions?

Cheers...
Old 26th July 2016, 15:04   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Nice. What exactly is this boot cover? Price, photos? Will it hold good in demanding Leh conditions?

Cheers...
Dheeraj Saab,
For Leh rides, I would not suggest this boot cover. For your Leh ride, its better you buy the cheap rubber boots in Leh itself, chuck them after your use. They should cost you around 800 at the maximum and will be very handy when it comes to crossing those water crossings. Do not carry any other shoes unless you find these rubber boots very uncomfortable for your lil toe.

These are the shoes that am referring to

http://www.flipkart.com/duckback-gum...mduy4ycgbwm2jf

My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White-blackgbdbgy14duckback9400x400imaduy58fhhy6hhz.jpeg

But the material is in PVC which I would not recommend. Instead please search for the sole in Rubber and they are your best bets.

Regarding the boot covers, these are for regular wet rides and they will protect your shoes, socks and what not They are not durable for your LEH rides.

http://store.royalenfield.com/collec...cover-v2-black

My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White-1_8901861d45bc4dbf9c417dd9a0f453b8_large.jpg
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 16:06   #100
BHPian

@ku69rd Have you already purchased them? I got them last year and have terrible experience with them. My first run I rode about 20 mins with 10 mins in hard rain and my shoe got completely wet. I thought fine - it was raining heavily.
My next run was around 10 mins in light rain - again it got wet. Next it wasn't even raining and my shoe got wet from just the splashback from the front tire!
I tried returning them but the showroom refused taking them back saying they are used
So I put a 1* review on the RE website and it was removed.

@dkaile Forget Leh - they were not good even for Pune.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 16:11   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
So I put a 1* review on the RE website and it was removed.
Hello Timuseravan,
Yes I have bought a pair after a couple of my riding partners used them for our Anshi ride. Both of them held up very well in pouring torrential rain in the Dandeli forests and their shoes were dry.
I experienced them first hand in my previous evening and was delighted at their utility. Probably they have improved their quality but I feel RE should give more size options instead of just M & L.

Am sorry for your poor experience with them but they are working as neat as a whistle for me.

You might want to give it another good look at a new pair?

How did you wear them? Were they on your rain pants or were your rain pants on them? I wore the rain pants on them.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 16:14   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Timuseravan,
Yes I have bought a pair after a couple of my riding partners used them for our Anshi ride. Both of them held up very well in pouring torrential rain in the Dandeli forests and their shoes were dry.
I experienced them first hand in my previous evening and was delighted at their utility. Probably they have improved their quality but I feel RE should give more size options instead of just M & L.

Am sorry for your poor experience with them but they are working as neat as a whistle for me.

You might want to give it another good look at a new pair?

How did you wear them? Were they on your rain pants or were your rain pants on them? I wore the rain pants on them.
Good to hear that RE has improved the quality.
I tried all combinations but it was no use. Maybe I got a defective piece.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 14:17   #103
Senior - BHPian

Found an interesting article on the NDTV Portal on the popularity of Himalayans in Karnataka.

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/karnataka-...from=home-auto

Makes lot of sense considering the roads we have in Bangalore plus the other attractions of mother nature.

@Mods,
Please delete this post as there is a similar one on the official test ride thread for Himalayan.

Last edited by ku69rd : 12th August 2016 at 14:19.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 17:13   #104
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Royal Enfield Himalayan - Snow White - 6000 Kms

Hello All,
My bike completed 6000 Kms and the ownership experience has been absolutely good.

Plus Points
1) Amazing combination of Chassis & Suspension: Vehicle is very responsive around corners. Mid Corner corrections can be done with minimal fuss. Forks have been a big positive. Off Roading have been fantastic and suspensions has never bottomed so far.
Tires hold up very well but somehow I find them a bit on the softer side. The round profile is seemingly taking a square profile with just 6000 kms. At this rate I think it might need a replacement in another 9000 kms.
2) Headlight: The light spread in lo beam is very good. however the highbeam spread is satisfactory
3) Engine Noise: Post the exchange of spares, the tappet noise is all but gone. There is a bit of clatter when you throttle hard but you need to really give it a ear to hear.
4) Seats: Comfortable to say the least, after doing a 800 kms my bum was not sore. Was able to resume work next day in office with minimum fuss. Have done quiet a few of my loops around Bangalore and they have never been a source of complain.

Minus Points
1) Power: There could have been a bit more power that they could have harnessed for the bike considering that at least 70% of the time you will be doing highways even if they are two laners
2) Fuelling Issues: My bike seems to be suffering from sort of fuelling issues. There are a couple of flat spots which sometimes take away the joy of riding on the highway. Need to fiddle with the carb to sort it out
3) Fuel Tank: A bigger tank would have been very much welcome, at least a 18 liter if not a 20 liter tank. There is a slight leak at the lip of the petrol tank cap in my bike.

Bike is holding up well and surprisingly there has been no rattles or vibes even though I have abused it many a times during my trail rides.
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 03:56   #105
BHPian

Hi.

After good usage, could you give your views vs the TB 500?
I read your earlier comparison but wanted to know your honest view after a few thousand Ks.
Also, how is the passenger comfort in both as well.

Thanks
P.S. is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed