Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2017, 09:20   #106
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
After the One year service, I have not ridden the bike since I was travelling a lot. Even when I had taken delivery after the service I was not very happy with the rear brake feel. It was too soft and hardly felt any resistance when pressing it. I was told it is perfectly alright. Unfortunately the rear brakes started locking every time I applied it. It will release after a while. It was become too dangerous to ride. I have left it in the OMR service station today. I hope they do a better job this time...
They found the master cylinder of the rear brake to be the issue and they replaced it. It seems to be fine now. The feel is far better than before and there is jamming of the rear brake now. This was done free of cost. Haven't done any long distance trip for a while now. May be will do a Pondy trip during one of the coming weekends.
Old 20th June 2017, 07:01   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I too feel the same with rear brakes. every time the wheels gets locked and skidded. now a days i am very much afraid to use rear brakes and manages with front brake and occasional use of rear one.
I have shown it to service guys and they told, it's normal. need to check with some other Himalayan.
I felt that the locking of rear wheels is due to the wooden feel of the rear brakes. There is no feedback of how much has been applied and no modulation or progression.

I've changed the rear brake pads to EBC Semi Sintered brake pads. I get good modulation and feed back from the rear brakes. My confidence has improved and no locking of the rear wheel yet. I'll know for sure as I ride through the monsoons this year. So far it has been good.

Also the front is updated to EBC Double H Sintered brakes. Braking is very crisp. Note that the new pads need about 500 KMs to bed-in.
TuxDiesel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 10:26   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDiesel View Post
I've changed the rear brake pads to EBC Semi Sintered brake pads. I get good modulation and feed back from the rear brakes. My confidence has improved and no locking of the rear wheel yet. I'll know for sure as I ride through the monsoons this year. So far it has been good.

Also the front is updated to EBC Double H Sintered brakes. Braking is very crisp. Note that the new pads need about 500 KMs to bed-in.
Thanx for the information.
where did you buy EBC pads. possible share the details and price.
Old 20th June 2017, 14:50   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Thanx for the information.
where did you buy EBC pads. possible share the details and price.
I got them from https://shop.motousher.com/collections/himalayan

Price varies from 2350 Rs to 3500 Rs based on your choice.
Old 5th August 2017, 23:06   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
After the One year service, I have not ridden the bike since I was travelling a lot. Even when I had taken delivery after the service I was not very happy with the rear brake feel. It was too soft and hardly felt any resistance when pressing it. I was told it is perfectly alright. Unfortunately the rear brakes started locking every time I applied it. It will release after a while. It was become too dangerous to ride. I have left it in the OMR service station today. I hope they do a better job this time...
Excellent review and thanks for the detailed description sir.
Me and my friends from Chandigarh last year took the trip to Leh. My current bike Triumph Rocket is not really something to ride to Leh so from Manali I rented a Himalayan after parking my own bike in my friend's house in Manali.
I must say it was not the abused rented bike which I happen to opt. This Himalayan had completed 1200 Kms, serviced and kept in a garage. The owner was known to my Manali friend and the bike had not tasted Leh. It was till now used for Himachal guided trips.
I did have few aches after riding it from Manali to Leh on the first day but remember I came directly from the Rocket. Riding this while standing on route to Leh on non existing roads was fun.
The brakes were good, the front readout cluster was ok, the suspension did its job on the route but like you mentioned I too feel the power was less. Here I like to add that may be it's just me as I am coming riding the Rocket where power is too much especially at low RPM.
RE has made a good, in budget off road go anywhere bike and they should provide good quality accessories too like other manufacturers Triumph and BMW. Good quality offroad panniers, Tank bags, lights etc are a must for the Himalayan.
If you do plan another north trip which I feel you should from time to time please include Chandigarh in it and do message in advance. Definitely would like to meet you over coffee while you can have your bike inspection at RE
Regards
Old 6th December 2017, 11:59   #111

Hi all,
I am possibly one of the newest and proud owner of a RE Himalayan EFI BS4. I just got the bike 6 days back. Everything till now seems good and I have started to do the "running in" or "bedding" of the engine, as should done for all new engines. However I am finding one constant issue. Here it is.

Whenever I press the clutch, to slow down the bike, say while approaching a red-light or a speed breaker, the engine stalls randomly. Not every time while I am pressing the clutch but say 1 out of 4 or 5 times. Which is bad, right? Have anyone else here faced this issue or know anything about this sort of issue.

Here are the details that I can provide -
1. Before taking delivery, I took the bike for a spin, but at that time there was no stalling issue experienced while applying the clutch.

2. Just after taking delivery, went to the nearest petrol station to fill up half tank of petrol. The problem started five minutes after this. After 3 days, I did take out a liter of petrol to check for water content. Kept the petrol in a transparent bottle undisturbed for 8 hours. But did not find any water content at the bottom. Not sure, if anything else was mixed though. But I do not have any conclusive evidence.

3. The problem vanished for roughly 36 hours on the 3rd and 4th day of purchase, but reappeared again. Today is the 6th day.

4. I have done roughly 70 km on the bike now. I can assure that I am following every possible way of riding a bike as it should be, during a run-in period. Just as prescribed in the owner's manual of the Himalayan as well.

5. I took it on the 3rd day to the service center, but while travelling towards the service station the problem disappeared and hence I couldn't really demonstrate to the service manager, the exact issue I was facing. Hence came back empty handed. Planning to take it again this Friday or weekend.

6. The current Idle RPM is set at 1100. Have not tweaked anything there and kept as received from the showroom.

7. Tyre pressure is well maintained and filled with Nitrogen air

What could really be the issue? Have one one here on this forum faced this earlier? Please help as I am getting a little worried. Its a new bike and I really want to have a happy long term experience with it. Thanks in advance.
Old 6th December 2017, 13:19   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amlan View Post
Hi all,
Whenever I press the clutch, to slow down the bike, say while approaching a red-light or a speed breaker, the engine stalls randomly.
Not a solution to the problem, a suggestion rather. Please do not coast to a stop. Release the clutch and use engine braking as far as possible. The early 390s too had this issue 'mostly' while coasting to a stop. The trick is to keep the engine engaged until you come to a near stopping speed.
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 13:57   #113
BHPian

Quote:
What could really be the issue? Have one one here on this forum faced this earlier? Please help as I am getting a little worried. Its a new bike and I really want to have a happy long term experience with it. Thanks in advance.
RE motors definitely need careful running in. Does this behavior depend on the engine temperature (like just when you start riding or after you have been riding for a while and the motor is at operating temperature?) Also, try increasing the idling and see if you face the same issue while coasting. If it does not stall, leave it that that idling for about a week and then see if it repeats when you bring it down to earlier position. This is my personal opinion, but I think you should ride your bike everyday (even if it just starting, warming up and a round around your locality) for the first month.
Old 6th December 2017, 14:26   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really want to have a happy long term experience with it...
Why did you buy a Royal Enfield then?

Just kidding, sorry couldn't help myself

Man of Steel is spot on. Sift through the 390 thread from the early days. Multiple issues reported similar to you. Don't coast to a stop. Engine shut off aside, you are needlessly increasing your stopping distance as well

On the break-in piece, King Joffrey of the house Baratheon has some sage advice for you:

Ride safe and wish you many happy miles with your new steed
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 14:48   #115
BHPian

I have covered around 1200 kms on my Himalayan. For the first 500 kms, I religiously followed all the rules that are a part of running in a new bike .After the first service , I have made it a point not to exceed 80kph (based on what the mechanic recommended).

What is regarded as the ideal mileage a new bike must have in order to complete the run-in period? I intend to go on a ride to Gokarna (from Bangalore) in ten days time. I was wondering if I can push the bike on the highway.
Old 6th December 2017, 21:09   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Not a solution to the problem, a suggestion rather. Please do not coast to a stop. Release the clutch and use engine braking as far as possible. The early 390s too had this issue 'mostly' while coasting to a stop. The trick is to keep the engine engaged until you come to a near stopping speed.
That does help as an intermittent solution. However, when I am in city and that too in Pune where anything and everything is happening in front of you all the time, then one needs to press clutch often for couple of seconds. This is where the engine stalls. But I have also observed that, after say a smooth run of 10 kms at speed of 40-50 kms / hour, the problem starts to disappear. Engine does not stall further, when clutch is pressed (to coast)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
RE motors definitely need careful running in. Does this behavior depend on the engine temperature (like just when you start riding or after you have been riding for a while and the motor is at operating temperature?)
True that. RE motors does need to be cared like a baby. However, to answer your question, I really cannot say its temperature specific. But its more when the engine is still on the cooler side. I follow warming up of engine for 2-3 mins before starting a ride though. So its not THAT cold either! The first stall always happens when I exit my society gate and need to stop immediately and wait to cross a small but busy street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Why did you buy a Royal Enfield then?

Just kidding, sorry couldn't help myself

Man of Steel is spot on. Sift through the 390 thread from the early days. Multiple issues reported similar to you. Don't coast to a stop. Engine shut off aside, you are needlessly increasing your stopping distance as well
Yes true. That does work. But as mentioned above, it is not possible on a congested road where you do not have ample time to do the needful. One need to press the clutch more often to assess and take control of such situation. These are times when I encounter the stalling issue. But, today I observed, that if I run the bike on congestion free road for say 10 kms, the problem starts disappearing. Worried!
Old 6th December 2017, 22:12   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Sir, raise your idle rpm a notch more, the stalling should stop. Depending on where you are the weather has become a bit more chilly and until the engine properly warms up, the idle rpm or rpm with throttle closed will be too low.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 17:12   #118
BHPian

Hi. So? How fairs the your bike now? Pros and cons?

Most Viewed