Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2016, 11:13   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis

A look at the 2 Wheeler Sales figures for April 2016. The Indian Two Wheeler Market crossed 1.5 million units in April 2016. That is around 6 times the monthly car sales.

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-totalsalestrend.jpg

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-top20chart.jpg

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-top20detailed.jpg

The Top 20 remains greatly unchanged. Totally dominated by the Activa and Splendor. The Activa continues to hold on to the Top Spot-but by a narrow margin. Most models in the list have been on sale for a long time. The only newer models making a mark is Yamaha's Fascino and Bajaj's V. The marketing push and the nationalism related to INS Vikrant that Bajaj is trying to exploit through their ad's seem to be paying off. Rapid growth for the V over the last 2 months. The Victor GLX from TVS also makes an entry. The Enfield Classic 350 continues to be the only higher capacity bike in the Top 20.

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-top20gainers.jpg

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-top20losers.jpg

Honda's CB Unicorn 160 shows is the biggest gainer MoM, but not much in absolute numbers. Overall several Honda products in the gainer list. The quirky Navi picking up numbers. Sharp drop for the Bullet Electra Twinspark. Not sure if there were some other factors involved here. Interesting to note that apart from the TVS Apache, None of the Top 20 are in the Top loser lists and most of them gain numbers.

Manufacturer Level Sales Trends with Market Share and Trend Charts

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-manuftotal.jpg

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-manufsharechart.jpg

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-manuftop6chart.jpg

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-manufbottom6chart.jpg

The big news at the Manufacturer Level is Bajaj taking the 3rd spot from TVS for April 2016. The sales of the V and gains across some of the other models have made Bajaj the biggest gainer in April 2016. Hero Motors and Honda continue to enjoy 65% Market share and Bajaj and TVS together take ~25%. Which means 90% of the Two Wheeler Market is controlled by these 4 players. In addition, Bajaj is also the king of the Export Market. Related thread Link. Royal Enfield shows a slight MoM drop, although YoY numbers still show healthy growth.

Segment level sales

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-segmentsaleschart.jpg

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-segmentsalestable.jpg

No major changes in the Segment Level Sales. Most of the growth has come as expected from the Entry Segments. The Entry 100-125cc segment makes up 80% of the Market. A slight dip in the 250cc+ segments in the last few months.

Model Level Sales with MoM details

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-manuf1.jpg

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-manuf2.jpg

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-manuf3.jpg

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-manuf4.jpg

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-manuf5.jpg

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-manuf6.jpg

1.5 million units per month is a huge number. But at the same time, it is a heavily skewed number. 80% of these numbers are from the entry segment and of this close to 50% come from just 2 models- Activa and Splendor. Am pretty sure India's love for these 2 models will be driving other manufacturers crazy. No one has been able to break that code. Even within Hero Motors and Honda, none of the other models come anywhere close to these 2. This is potentially a challenge for Hero Motors and Honda also. How to make people buy other products? In the four wheeler world also we have this fierce loyalty towards Maruti and Hyunda- But it is not restricted to a product, both of them have several products that sell almost equally well.

Wonder what would be the size of the Pre-Owned/Used Two-Wheeler Market?

Sales Numbers Source: AutoPunditz

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 24th May 2016 at 19:31.
Rajeevraj is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 10:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

Moving out, thanks for sharing.

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2016 at 10:21. Reason: Bump
Old 25th May 2016, 19:28   #3
BHPian

Re: April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis

Excellent report!

I'm amazed at the sales of TVS XL moped. 67045 is no small number for a bare bones moped! I wonder why the market leaders Hero and Honda are not targeting the same. Is it because they don't believe in a crude and bare bones product?

Regarding the Activa, It would be interesting to see the internal model split. I am sure that the majority of sales would be from Activa 3G, with the Activa i and Activa 125 having minor share. The marketing did the trick for Bajaj V15. Let's see if it can sustain the momentum.

Request a correction to the Post: The data table shows the Honda CB Trigger (now discontinued) as 100-125 cc product whereas it should be in 150-180 cc bracket
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 22:34   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks govindremesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
Excellent report!

I'm amazed at the sales of TVS XL moped. 67045 is no small number for a bare bones moped! I wonder why the market leaders Hero and Honda are not targeting the same. Is it because they don't believe in a crude and bare bones product?
Probably because brand loyalty is way to high in the Two Wheeler space. Moped means TVS XL. Doubt if even Hero or Honda will be able to change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
Request a correction to the Post: The data table shows the Honda CB Trigger (now discontinued) as 100-125 cc product whereas it should be in 150-180 cc bracket
I had actually corrected this after you reported it from the last month analysis. Looks like I corrected in one place in my source data and missed in another place. Will update it. Thanks for pointing it out again.
Old 26th May 2016, 10:52   #5
BANNED

Can someone throw light on when the premium scooters like PCX 150, NMax (+ Others) will be launched? I have been eagerly waiting to sell my CBR 150R and buy a premium scooter for its practicality in city driving.

Few scooters where displayed in previous Auto Expo but not this time, some were displayed only for feedback but not keen on launching, I think a separate discussion on this with practical launch dates / insights would be really helpful.
Old 27th May 2016, 16:41   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see CBR250R gain some numbers. A very good motorcycle indeed, made to look horribly over priced by KTM 390 twins.
Old 28th May 2016, 01:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The marketing push and the nationalism related to INS Vikrant that Bajaj is trying to exploit through their ad's seem to be paying off.
I don't know how much nationalism has to do with Bajaj V's success, but 150cc engine, Scrambler/Bonneville-ish stance, good mileage and all of these at ₹ 62,000 (ex Delhi) itself makes it great VFM. Premium 125cc bikes from other manufacturers are priced quite close to it, even Bajaj's own Avenger Street 150 is more than ₹ 10,000 pricier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Good to see CBR250R gain some numbers. A very good motorcycle indeed, made to look horribly over priced by KTM 390 twins.
As far as I know, KTM 200 twins and CBR250R all make around 25-26bhp whereas 390 twins make around 43bhp. So the 250R competes with 200 twins, not the 390 twins. Compared to KTM RC200 & Gixxer SF, both CBR250R & 150R are overpriced IMO. Also a proper facelift, not just some sticker mod, for both CBR 150R & 250R is long overdue now.
Debajyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 08:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debajyoti View Post

As far as I know, KTM 200 twins and CBR250R all make around 25-26bhp whereas 390 twins make around 43bhp. So the 250R competes with 200 twins, not the 390 twins. Compared to KTM RC200 & Gixxer SF, both CBR250R & 150R are overpriced IMO. Also a proper facelift, not just some sticker mod, for both CBR 150R & 250R is long overdue now.
That is what I meant too. 26bhp for 2 lakhs and 43bhp for same 2 lakhs. Dont even get the ktm 200s into picture, they are overpriced for what they offer vis-a-vis their bigger cousins. Gixxer SF is overpriced too, and slower than the CBR150R. But somehow taking the touring abilities of the 250R, comparing it with equally capable tourers( Mojo, CL500 & Inazuma) 250R isnt overpriced though. Anyone who wants an adequately powerful motorcycle for reliable and comfortable touring experience, CBR250R makes a very strong case for itself.

True that Honda does not care about the CBR twins anymore. The new CBR250R will never see Indian showrooms. They dont care about selling the CBR twins or stocking up their spares.

PS: I own one , I stand at 6'2, built weighing 120kilos, the CBR250R feels more comfortable than any of the enfields to me.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 28th May 2016 at 08:10.
Old 28th May 2016, 12:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
True that Honda does not care about the CBR twins anymore. The new CBR250R will never see Indian showrooms. They dont care about selling the CBR twins or stocking up their spares.
International market get the facelifted CBR250R/CBR300R and here we get some new paint scheme and a "Racing" sticker Read that YS Guleria, Senior Vice President – Sales & Marketing at Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India, has confirmed that the Honda CBR150R and the Honda CBR250R in India will not be updated with their respective facelift versions that are available in international markets. The existing models will remain the same in the foreseeable future. He also said that the Honda CBR300R will not be introduced in India, and that there will be no significant upgrades or new launches in the performance motorcycle segment (upto 500 cc). Honda can atleast give us a fully faired version based on the Hornet 160R as a replacement for the ageing CBR150 IMO.
Old 20th June 2016, 11:47   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

May 2016

Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India (HMSI)’s hugely popular Activa brand has emerged as the bestselling two-wheeler in India for the fifth successive month in May 2016. The company has outsold its closest rival (in terms of all-India sales volumes), Hero MotoCorp’s Splendor by almost 30,000 units for the last month.

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-clxrbnyuyaa4ta3.jpg

April 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures and Analysis-2wmay.jpg

http://www.autocarpro.in/analysis-sa...ers-2016-20335

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th June 2016 at 11:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks