Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2017, 13:52   #61
BHPian

re: My Pre-Worshipped Honda CBR250R. EDIT: Now Sold

Nice Pics...
I have completed around 42k kms in my CBR250R Non ABS (A.K.A - Renesseme)
I would like to say...It's a brilliant mile muncher.
I have completed successfully 4 trip in 2.5 years including my honeymoon trip with my wife in my bike and I would say its the perfect companion.
Michelin tyres are a blessing for CBR.
Attached few of the pics from my different rides...
Attached Thumbnails
My Pre-Worshipped Honda CBR250R. EDIT: Now Sold-11229683_10206509812695013_5152123724904748662_n.jpg  

My Pre-Worshipped Honda CBR250R. EDIT: Now Sold-11054305_10206024486602164_1567642709967082811_n.jpg  

My Pre-Worshipped Honda CBR250R. EDIT: Now Sold-11102936_10206036404700109_6987667028322091216_n.jpg  

My Pre-Worshipped Honda CBR250R. EDIT: Now Sold-11329824_10206509760733714_1177708985751783009_n.jpg  

My Pre-Worshipped Honda CBR250R. EDIT: Now Sold-12715813_10208311519216550_4241089625007217762_n.jpg  

My Pre-Worshipped Honda CBR250R. EDIT: Now Sold-15665515_10211118370146069_8846406610931728612_n.jpg  

SVK Rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 18:12   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

7th Feb 2017!

One year since I laid my hands on the CBR250R.
10,700 km in an year. Lovely motorcycle!
Attached Thumbnails
My Pre-Worshipped Honda CBR250R. EDIT: Now Sold-wp_20170206_21_15_44_pro.jpg  

My Pre-Worshipped Honda CBR250R. EDIT: Now Sold-img20170205wa0014.jpg  

PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 18:21   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
...I started the hunt on Olx and Quikr for used CBR250R. After a couple of days, I saw an ad on olx from Salem, the owner was a content writer from a famous bike portal(which I came to know after a month of texting and bargaining with him. He initially quoted 93K, for a 2011 sample that had run 34000km...
I have been on the look out for a pre-worshipped piece and what I notice is, the pre-owned CBR 250 does come kind of cheap for a 2L+ bike. Is there any specific reason for this?

I kind of feel that the Ninja / R3 holds the value better than the 250R or is it just my perception? I see prices like 80K for 2011/12 model with just 25-30K on the odo and that's almost a 60% dip in the price I guess.

Just want to check - have you ridden the Himalayan? If so, how'd you compare it to the CBR 250R ?
Old 22nd February 2017, 18:53   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Is there any specific reason for this?
C250R's resale has been always low which I think is because of 3 primary reasons...
1. Initial media hype
2. Misunderstanding
3. Product portfolio

When the bike was launched, entire media was bellowing as if it was Ninja 250R's competitor & all the while no one observed what kind of motorcycle was C250R was being advertised by Honda. They showcased the bike ridden on open twisty roads or somewhere in mountains. No where Honda said its a track machine or Ninja competitor.

Most people in here think fitting a dabba can at the exhaust will double the HP of an engine. So, buy a Splendor, fit a dabba can to exhaust it can beat R1. Remove the airfilter, Splendor will be right behind R1. Such is the mentality here. So when C250R was launched, most jokers knocked off 6 bhp thinking it wouldn't make a difference to N250R because of the weight. No one really understands that there cannot be two similar product with same feature available in market barring extremely few motorcycles (like R6, 600RR, GSXR6, YZFR6, W850, T-Bone etc)

Not sure if Honda themselves know what segment they target with C250R or they simply wanted to bite the pie in 250cc segment; since I've been using it considerably, I believe, it's more of a comfortable, sports type, decently powered, high FE & affordable motorcycle. So most people who bought them were disappointed with the kind of expectation set by the media. So most people started selling at the speed with which they bought. All put together caused a low demand for the motorcycle & add to that the fierce competition from BAL which were priced aggressive.

Quote:
I kind of feel that the Ninja / R3 holds...60% dip in the price I guess
Can't comment much on R3 because I happened to observe varied figures on the price & also I'm outdated on the used bike prices.

Quote:
Just want to check - have you ridden the Himalayan? If so, how'd you compare it to the CBR 250R ?
I know you didn't ask me, but I haven't ridden Himalayan, but would like to share only one thought - Any day Japs & Germans lead the pack in engineering, not even the Italians or Americans. India? I'll be termed unpatriotic when I say the facts!!

Edit - Oh!! Pls add 4th point; take it or leave it attitude of Honda

Last edited by aargee : 22nd February 2017 at 19:02.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 20:01   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been on the look out for a pre-worshipped piece
BTW, if you're serious about your purchase, then...
1. Wait a while, say until May/Jun 2017
2. If you cannot wait, buy a new ABS model unless you're keen on short term ownership

What to expect
- Excellent balance between torque to high speed
- Can keep doing 130 Kmph all day...a real 24 hours
- Awesome FE
- Good speed masking even at 120ish
- Bullet proof engine; bullet proof motorcycle
- Plush, comfortable ride
- Awesome engineering on rear prolink suspension
- Economical to maintain & keep in mint condition
- Lesser visit to ASC & a true 6K km of service interval
- Unless there's a hefty pillion (read above 75 Kg), the 2 up riding is comfortable & no shortage of power

What is over ambitious
- If you weigh over 80 Kg, then do not expect the bike to do 140 on speedo even when circumstances favor you
- In reality, bike struggles to attain speeds over 140 on speedo
- Not a track oriented machine
- Not a sharp handler & less flickable
- Its designed purely for street usage
- Not so great headlight
- Expect a full tank range of about 300 odd Km before refueling on empty highways, provided the speeds are under 110
- High cost is not justified in the current market
aargee is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 22:07   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
....Any day Japs & Germans lead the pack in engineering,...
I agree on this one. But, I guess Himalayan may be a decent tourer which can do a 100 all day long, with minimal vibrations.

Quote:
BTW, if you're serious about your purchase, then...
1. Wait a while, say until May/Jun 2017...
Why wait till May / Jun? TVS Akula 300?
Old 22nd February 2017, 23:11   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree on this one. But, I guess Himalayan may be a decent tourer which can do a 100 all day long, with minimal vibrations
End of the day vibrations alone does not matter; there's one sentence I always keep saying - Buying is one time affair, maintenance is for lifetime. Hope you get the point.

Quote:
Why wait till May / Jun? TVS Akula 300?
Yes, Akula is a good option & probably KTM 250 is speculated to be launched tomorrow, if that's your cup of cake.

But, if you plan to have a motorcycle for long term & don't want to drain your hard earned money too much on taxes...Z250, Ninja 300 are good choice. Esp the Ninja 300.
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 16:41   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is over ambitious
- If you weigh over 80 Kg, then do not expect the bike to do 140 on speedo even when circumstances favor you
- In reality, bike struggles to attain speeds over 140 on speedo
Aargee has answered all your questions Swiftnfurious.

As for the himalayan, it is as comfortable as the cbr250r but it is slower. It feels best at 100 kmph and nothing higher.

cbr on the other hand is happy and relaxed at 120kmph.

I weigh 125 kg, I hit >140 everytime i get on the saddle(i live on the NH45). The top speed is also respectable 162 kmph on speedo, achieved by a heavy guy that I am. Agreed, it isnt happy beyond 140 kmph. It is quite a stretch from 140kmph to top speed and the bike takes time to do it.

I feel cbr250r is worth the price. Mine runs on michelin pilot street radials. Handling is above average, not as good as the ktms but still, not bad either.

The bike feels solid, the engine is a gem, and gives me 25 kmpl, which is great when you consider the fact that i ride like a suicidal maniac, all the time!

Many people sell cbr250r soon because they dont realise what they are buying before buying it. Some buy for show, some buy because of the specs. Having lived with the cbr for an year, and 11000 km, i am very happy with the bike, that i even plan retaining it and buying another bike soon.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 23rd February 2017 at 16:43.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:40   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks both! As you said aargee, I'll wait till the Akula is released and then decide. Probably I should read more about the Ninja babies too till then, but there are 2 factors which are holding me against those.

1. Lack of ABS. I am not a seasoned rider and this additional piece of safety matters a lot. Even my first car had optional ABS and I can't fathom how much I appreciate myself for waiting 4 months to take delivery of it.

2. Committed riding posture? I am tall (6'2") and average build (78 kgs) and I want a comfy tourer with predictable behaviour as I am not soo used to bikes. Ninja may not satisfy me on the ride position I assume?

Now, could you (or anyone familiar with the place) also help me with some good places to buy the riding gear? If it means to travel to Bangkok or Malaysia to get stuff cheaper, am in for that too.

Lastly, I am ok to change the mode of discussion to some other threads / WhatsApp etc if you guys think so. I need tons of help and have lots of questions - please bear with me.

Edit:: Would also request everyone to keep me in your thoughts whenever you get to know of a pre-WORSHIPPED piece of a wonderful machinery in and around Chennai.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 23rd February 2017 at 18:42.
Old 23rd February 2017, 19:08   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. Committed riding posture? I am tall (6'2") and average build (78 kgs) and I want a comfy tourer with predictable behaviour as I am not soo used to bikes. Ninja may not satisfy me on the ride position I assume?

Now, could you (or anyone familiar with the place) also help me with some good places to buy the riding gear? If it means to travel to Bangkok or Malaysia to get stuff cheaper, am in for that too.

I am exactly as tall as you are. CBR's position is slightly forward slanted, but not committed. I have never felt sore or tired on the cbr.

As far as gear goes, spartan pro gear is good.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 19:22   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Lack of ABS. I am not a seasoned rider and this additional piece of safety matters a lot. Even my first car had optional ABS and I can't fathom how much I appreciate myself for waiting 4 months to take delivery of it.

I just wanted to chime in and say that when it comes to the bikes in question; R3, CBR250, Ninja300, you will notice that while all of these are fully faired bikes that look like sportbikes, they are more like sport tourers. The riding position on these bikes is not even as aggressive as an R15. At the end of the day it is all relative I don't at all find the riding posture on the Ninja 250/300 or the R3 to be committed in any way at all but you need to sit on these bikes to see if you find them to be that way. I have ridden 400+ kms with just a couple of smoke breaks on my RC390 so give me any of these bikes and I will happily ride all day long

Another aspect I wanted to talk about is the ABS. I find the ABS systems installed on these entry level performance bikes like the CBR250 and the KTM 390 twins, to be very rudimentary. The system kicks in way too early and slips the wheel too much for my liking. Mastering the art of rev-matching, which you will soon learn is far more necessary to do on bikes than in cars, will allow you to brake just as effectively. Keeping that in mind, do look out for used Ninja 250s also their value has dropped since Kawasaki customers can no longer go to KTM service centers since the Kawi-Bajaj split, so don't mind if people quote very high prices, just go and bargain. If you can afford it, it is worth it (save for the lack of ABS). The Ninja enjoys more straight-line stability due to its weight, better mid-corner stability due to its long-wheelbase, long range with good fuel economy, and the joys of a high-revving motor
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 19:59   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Lack of ABS...myself for waiting 4 months to take delivery of it
No matter entry level or not, you ought to opt for ABS

Quote:
2. Committed riding posture?...satisfy me on the ride position I assume?
Not really; I would strongly suggest you take a test ride with showroom vehicle or if any of your friends let you ride for a while, that will be awesome.

Quote:
Now, could you (or anyone familiar with...am in for that too
When it comes to riding gears...I've stopped using Indian makes. Sorry to say, we're still trying to catch up & far behind the ones sold abroad despite the fact all the gears come from same factory in different product lines. To begin with, if you cannot afford for imported ones, stick with SPG or Planet DSG & as a first time buyer TRY OUT the gear before you buy. Once you know the sizes & what to expect, go-ahead & order them online & get it imported.

Quote:
Lastly, I am ok to change...tons of help and have lots of questions - please bear with me
Nothing to bear!! time flies when we all talk about automobiles; before buying a motorcycle is like love affair & the time after buying one is like married life just that the honey moon period never ends

Quote:
Would also request...wonderful machinery in and around Chennai.
In Dec, there was one up for sale at JSP Honda that had run for 6K km & they were looking for a buyer, don't know if it's still available.

Last edited by aargee : 23rd February 2017 at 20:00.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 14:21   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Odo reading 44,980 km

I may part ways with the little honda soon. I am not sure though. Btw, learnt KTM 250 is slower than the CBR 250R. Today i had the chance to enjoy some empty stretches of highway.

Acceleration of the little honda, with me(125kg+4kg backpack), not bad at all!

PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 15:13   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Agree Prasanna, in fact the CBR 250R always pulled the strings in my heart, but the recent dip in production(?) and future prospectus is quite alarming.

In fact, i visited the Honda before going into KTM and book the D250. The SA at the Honda told me that the service bill of the 250R can be around 3k or more, and the interval is every 5-6K kms.

Can you please confirm if this is actually true or share the finer details if not?
Old 1st March 2017, 16:55   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you saying "not bad"? I will say, this is a "SUPER BIG WHOA!!!" & totally unbelievable!! In fact, I want to ask where have you tried this? I've got this top speed only once between Pondi - Tindi road. And 150 was possible several times depending upon the road & all put together, the weight on CPR never exceeded 90 Kg. This is not just accelerating, but exhilarating my heart

And...sorry to poke the nose once again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
but the recent dip in production(?) and future prospectus is quite alarming
HMSI WILL have all spares for next 7 years for sure, nothing to worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
service bill of the 250R can be around 3k or more, and the interval is every 5-6K kms. Can you please confirm if this is actually true or share the finer details if not?
My service interval is 7K for sure with the below method...
1. Change Shell 10W40 Adv Ultra engine oil, stock filter & air filter at 0th Km
2. From 3000 Km onwards, keep checking for oil level & top up with same engine oil, IF REQUIRED, for next 4000 Km

This way you can get 7000 Km engine oil interval (safer side; I once did 7900 Km that was when my ODO was 60K or so & now its double than that). Only the air filter gets dirty soon, say like 4000 odd Km.

So every 6K Km expect a bill of ~Rs 1200 for oil; ~Rs 400 for air filter & ~Rs 350 for engine oil filter (interval is 12000 Km not 6000)

I think you should probably go through the first 3 posts - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...questions.html
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed