Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2016, 12:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tax hike makes two-wheelers costlier in Maharashtra

Maharashtra Government has hiked the basic motor vehicle tax from June 7 2016, which has resulted in a price hike of all two-wheelers sold in the state.

Till now, a 7% tax was applicable on two-wheelers, which was the same for domestic as well as imported bikes. But after the recent tax hike, domestic two-wheelers will attract a tax of 10%, while it can go to 16-20% in case of premium imported bikes.

The new tax structure was a part of the State Government's budget that was presented in March 2016. The state RTO has now updated its software according to the new tax rates, and thus every bike bought after Tuesday, June 7 2016, will be subjected to the increased taxes.

Source: Times of India

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 8th June 2016 at 12:35.
dZired is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 15:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tax hike makes two-wheelers costlier in Maharashtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Maharashtra Government has hiked the basic motor vehicle tax from June 7 2016, which has resulted in a price hike of all two-wheelers sold in the state.

Till now, a 7% tax was applicable on two-wheelers, which was the same for domestic as well as imported bikes. But after the recent tax hike, domestic two-wheelers will attract a tax of 10%, while it can go to 16-20% in case of premium imported bikes.

The new tax structure was a part of the State Government's budget that was presented in March 2016. The state RTO has now updated its software according to the new tax rates, and thus every bike bought after Tuesday, June 7 2016, will be subjected to the increased taxes.
Dang. I was planning to replace my Activa this Diwali. Looks like I will have continue with the same for another year or so.

But what was the trigger to increase the taxes? I mean in the state budget, what prompted the authorities to hike the taxes? Just to fill the coffers?? Although I would supported the news since the no of two wheelers on the road is too much.
Old 9th June 2016, 13:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

The amount of Tax burden that has been put on the middle class in bewildering, not only is the government not helping with a better taxation structure that taxes the uber rich, but its crushing people's hopes and dreams with this move. A rich guy who buys a superbike will not be affected by this, but someone who has been dreaming about a bike for all his life, you've made his dream much more costlier without giving any benefit to him.

I don't know about others, but I care a lot about my Bikes and Cars and these are used as recreation and release after a tough day at work. If you make it impossible for me to enjoy them in this country i'll look at every way of getting out of the country then.
quickdraw is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 15:33   #4
BHPian

Am sure this must be having something to do with NGT. Now that they have already banned diesel vehicles in Delhi and Kerala they now must be looking for ways to deter the common man from buying two wheelers as well. Bikes being the most economical and popular mode of transport in our country the NGT must be now finding ways to curb the sale of two wheelers by imposing such taxes.
Old 21st October 2016, 19:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to bump a relatively old thread but I didn't want to create another topic for this.
Looks like there is a second tax hike for motor vehicle owners in Maharashtra from the 24th of October 2016.

The cost of registration of new vehicles will go up from October 24, 2016. It will be applicable to both two and four wheelers and also to light and heavy goods vehicles. The new tax will be 2% of one time road tax for two wheelers, cars and SUVs while for light goods vehicles, the cess will be 4%.

For medium and heavy goods vehicles it will either be 2% of one time tax or 10% of annual road tax. Auto rickshaws and taxis will have to shell out cess of 5% of road tax. Through this increased cess, the government is expected to raise INR 150 crores by March 2017.

This new tax collected will go to state government’s ‘Road Safety Fund’.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/54927509.cms
Nithesh_M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 23:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Looks like there is a second tax hike for motor vehicle owners in Maharashtra from the 24th of October 2016.
How much will it affect the price of a car with 10lac ex-showroom? Hope not by much.
Old 22nd October 2016, 03:10   #7
BHPian

If I am not wrong it would not be a huge difference because 2% increase in the overall registration for suppose 1 lac would only be 2k. I am expecting it to increase by 2-3k for a 10 lac ex showroom cost for a car unless there is some other math involved.
Old 31st January 2017, 13:17   #8
BHPian

Was looking at buying a Street Twin in Pune. Wondering if anyone can explain:

why a street twin gets 20% road tax
some other models of the triumph (thruxton A2, street triple etc) are only taxed 10%

Is it CBU/CKD related ? Engine size doesnt seem to explain it
Old 1st February 2017, 17:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleo View Post
Was looking at buying a Street Twin in Pune. Wondering if anyone can explain:

why a street twin gets 20% road tax
some other models of the triumph (thruxton A2, street triple etc) are only taxed 10%

Is it CBU/CKD related ? Engine size doesnt seem to explain it

Yes, Street triple, Daytona and Speed triple are assembled in India hence, 10% road tax. Rest all Triumph models are taxed at 20% ( RTO).
shatrughna is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks