Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2016, 21:41   #61
BHPian

Hi dkaile. Did you get the rocker assembly and the clutch changed? As part of the recall? If yes how does the bike feel now?
Old 8th July 2016, 15:14   #62
Senior - BHPian

So here's the correct procedure for Resetting the Service Icon flashing on the Himalayan.

With ignition key on, hold the Select button for 10 seconds. Be aware that this will reset your current trip meter. Switch off ignition switch while keeping the Select button pressed. Wait for 10 seconds with Select button still pressed and then switch on ignition key while keeping the Select button still pressed. The service flashing icon should disappear within 5-10 seconds.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 8th July 2016 at 15:27.
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 16:16   #63
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer

Short Solo, 150km, breached 130 #RoadRunner

Did a short and fast ride yesterday to test the bike's capabilities

Open smooth highways

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-ride-09072016_1.jpg

Next Stop Mana? Soon...

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-ride-09072016_2.jpg

#Himalayan #whatabike

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-ride-09072016_3.jpg

Quicky breakfast at Cheetal Grand on the way back

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-ride-09072016_4.jpg

Looks smart and functional

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-ride-09072016_5.jpg

151 kms eventual ride

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-ride-09072016_6.jpg

Average speeds were maintained above 70kmph in this trip even in this heavy traffic. I would be struggling to keep an average speed of 70+ on my Heritage in these traffic conditions. Was nearly always over 100 on the highway. The bike should be able to breach 140 after 2k on the odo.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-ride-09072016_7.jpg

One Phillips Head screw of the Exhaust Heat shield fell off in this ride. It was the only one that could not be tightened due to the rear foot-peg coming in the way of it's tightening. Bad designing by RE. Replaced it with a 10mm Nut which can now be easily tightened by a spanner.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-exhaust-heat-shield_1.jpg

---------------------------

Made a Tool Kit for the Himalayan

These were the main items selected and then some more like the puncture kit I made before etc.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-tool-kit-items.jpg

Here are the items in detail. Costed me less than 1k + an emergency inflator (another 1k). NH4motrheads sells the entire kit minus the inflator for 2.5k

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-tool-kit-items_1.jpg

Also got a bag made for the same for 400 bucks

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-tool-kit-items_2-bag.jpg

Here it is neatly folded up

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-tool-kit-items_3.jpg

Also got these 4 Velcro Straps made (1.5m x 2") for 150 bucks each, to secure luggage

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-velcro-straps_1.jpg

Easily goes under the rear seat or the luggage carrier

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-velcro-straps_2.jpg

And locks in place securely

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-velcro-straps_3.jpg

Much more secure than the normal bungee cords and more easily manageable than plastic ropes

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-velcro-straps_4.jpg

Can easily strap luggage 2~3 this size

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-velcro-straps_5.jpg

-------------------------

Saw a little peck of paint peeling off the fuel tank cap in the meanwhile. Don't know whether it was there since I took delivery as I watched it closely only recently. RE should sort out these minor irritants.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-paint-peeling-off-fuel-cap.jpg

Also got hold of these original tubes through fellow Bhpian Sheldon from Gurgaon (a big shout out of thanks) who procured it from Manzil Motors, Gurgaon and shipped it to me. This size was not at all available at any local tyre shop or at my RE dealer.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-ceat-original-tubes_1.jpg

Here are the part numbers and prices in case anyone's interested. Rear - 120/90-17

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-ceat-original-tubes_2-rear.jpg

Front - 90/90-21

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-ceat-original-tubes_3-front.jpg

Also got these Crash/Tank Guard Bags from NH4Motorheads Bangalore for 1300 bucks a pair from here - http://www.nh4motorheads.com/store/n...jeep-bags.html . Each bag can hold 3x1L bottles (to carry fuel etc.) and has 8L capacity each

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-crash-tank-guard-bags-nh4_1.jpg

Here's how they will look attached to the Himalayan

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-crash-tank-guard-bags-nh4_2.jpg

Came across this nice video

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 10th July 2016 at 16:21.
dkaile is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 16:21   #64
Team-BHP Support

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer

Nice report.

Instead of a electric air pump, I prefer carrying my mini cycle pump for an emergency. It weighs just a few grams and although it takes a little longer, it works like a charm.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 16:53   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Instead of a electric air pump, I prefer carrying my mini cycle pump for an emergency. It weighs just a few grams and although it takes a little longer, it works like a charm.
Thanks. Ordered. I hope it compatible with a normal motorcycle tube also.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 16:55   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Thanks. Ordered. I hope it compatible with a normal motorcycle tube also.
These pumps support both Presta and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrader_valve.

Bikes and Cars usually have the Schrader.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 23:06   #67
BHPian

I have booked a granite re himalayan. now 2 months seems like 2 years. I hope all the engine and clutch problems are resolved by the time it is delivered.

Thanks dkaile for the detailed and honest reviews, and also to sheldon for his views on the bike as well.
Viper21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 23:21   #68
BHPian

Went to the RE service centre in OMR (Chennai) yesterday and noticed two Himalayan's there which, Im guessing, as part of the recall. Not sure if you can tell from the picture, but one of the bikes had its engine head taken off.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-img_20160709_144105640.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-img_20160709_144115007.jpg  

Last edited by bivin : 10th July 2016 at 23:25.
bivin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 11:21   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivin View Post
Went to the RE service centre in OMR (Chennai) yesterday and noticed two Himalayan's there which, Im guessing, as part of the recall. Not sure if you can tell from the picture, but one of the bikes had its engine head taken off.

Cheers
One of a close friend of mine is having his Himalayan's Head,rocker arm and clutch assembly replaced.The later two have been sorted out, awaiting the new head to arrive from Chennai. He was facing the following issues-
1-Hard gear shifts when the engine gets hot
2- Engine oil level dropping because of leakage at the head
3-Engine clatter
Quiet disturbed to hear a new bike spending its time at the SVC.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 12:33   #70
BHPian

I hope i don't end up like this. I hope re fixes all the issues with the new deliveries
Old 12th July 2016, 21:08   #71
Senior - BHPian

Rocker Arm Shaft Kit Replacement - 12-07-2016 @703kms

So I got a call today from the Service Head of my dealership that the Rocker Arm Shaft Kit for my Himalayan had arrived to be replaced. On inquiring about any need for the clutch replacement, it was confirmed that my 2nd lot bike already had the newer set of the clutch (hence I never had any issues with hard gearing etc.) and the same was cross checked and reconfirmed with my chassis number. Also as my bike had the Centre Stand extension already fitted from the factory itself, which prevented the chain from hitting the centre stand (photos of the same also attached), confirming that my bike was indeed from the 2nd upgraded lot.

So @703kms on the odo

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rocker-shaft-replacement-12072016_1.jpg

This is the full kit that was replaced along with the part#

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rocker-shaft-replacement-12072016_2.jpg

The Engine Rocker Arm Head was opened

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rocker-shaft-replacement-12072016_3.jpg

This part needed to be carefully removed as it was fully sealed in silicone sealant and also prone to damage due to its aluminum construction

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rocker-shaft-replacement-12072016_4.jpg

This is the part in detail

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rocker-shaft-replacement-12072016_11.jpg

These are all the parts that were needed to be removed

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rocker-shaft-replacement-12072016_5.jpg

The engine without the rocker arm head. The tappets are also visible.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rocker-shaft-replacement-12072016_6.jpg

Both the old and new Rocker Arm Shaft, The new one is longer and with a groove on top.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rocker-shaft-replacement-12072016_7.jpg

Here is where this part actually goes in

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rocker-shaft-replacement-12072016_8.jpg

The old Rocker Shaft being removed

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rocker-shaft-replacement-12072016_9.jpg

And the New one being installed in it's place

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rocker-shaft-replacement-12072016_10.jpg

Silicone Gasket Sealant was used to seal off the head to factory specs

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rocker-shaft-replacement-12072016_12.jpg

The tappets were also re-adjusted to specs I had mentioned in the 1st service post

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rocker-shaft-replacement-12072016_13.jpg

The Exhaust Heat Shield Screw that had fallen off was also replaced back and tightened so that it does not fall again... hopefully lolz

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-exhaust-heat-shield-screws.jpg

This is the Centre Stand Extension I was talking about earlier which already came factory fitted in this 2nd lot of bikes. It prevents the chain from hitting the centre stand.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-centre-stand-extension_2.jpg

A close up of the same

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-centre-stand-extension_1.jpg

My ordered GT Parts had also arrived - The Heel Guard RHS (Brake Oil Reservoir Guard) and the GT Rear View Mirrors

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rocker-shaft-replacement-12072016_14.jpg

Here are the Mirrors attached to the bike. The Field of view is excellent.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-gt-mirrors_1.jpg

View from the front

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-gt-mirrors_2.jpg

I felt a little extra vibrations than the stock mirrors while riding back from the dealership. So I checked the mirrors on reaching back home and found these 3 tightening screws at their backs behind the rubber gasket. They were quite loose and I tightened them all up and now the mirror feels quite taut and hopefully will be totally vibe free.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-gt-mirror-tightening-screws.jpg

Also attached this Heel Guard cum Rear Brake Reservoir Guard from the Continental GT. Besides the functionality it looks quite cool.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-gt-heel-guard-rh_2.jpg

Here's a broader view of the same

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-gt-heel-guard-rh_1.jpg

Also received this Btwin Manual Air Pump from Decathlon as suggested by bblost. Thanks mate!! Excellent build quality for the cost and a must have.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-btwin-air-pump_1.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-btwin-air-pump_2.jpg

One final view after the Mirror Replacement

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-12072016-gt-mirrors-heel-guard.jpg

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 12th July 2016 at 21:16.
dkaile is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 18:37   #72
BHPian

Hi dkaile hows the feel post the rocker assembly replacement?
Old 13th July 2016, 19:23   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper21 View Post
Hi dkaile hows the feel post the rocker assembly replacement?
Main difference I noticed after this replacement is that the engine knocking below 3k rpm has substantially reduced. Rest slight decrease in engine noise. The tappets had already been adjusted previously. I don't feel a major change overall.
Old 16th July 2016, 20:22   #74
Senior - BHPian

NCR Himalayan Owners and Genuine Prospective Buyers and Booking Holders may also join the NCR Facebook Group here to discuss common issues, problems, highlights and positives - https://www.facebook.com/groups/583264291842015/

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 16th July 2016 at 20:24.
Old 19th July 2016, 10:56   #75
Senior - BHPian

ISSUE (SOLVED) - Oil Leakage after Rocker Arm Replacement 17-07-2016

Oil Leakage/BLEEDING yesterday on 1st ride after Rocker Arm Replacement.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-oil-leak-17072016-787kms_1.jpg

It was on both sides of the engine and if you look closely it is from a head gasket located just below the spark plug

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-oil-leak-17072016-787kms_4.jpg

I was about 50kms away from the dealership when it occurred at around the 710~720km mark. I limped back @60kmph to the dealership. However on reaching there we found out that only a few ml had leaked and the oil levels were still full.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-oil-leak-17072016-787kms_6.jpg

787 km on the odo at that time

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-oil-leak-17072016-787kms_5.jpg

Disheartening as the bike was riding so smooth even at 120. But was SOLVED today after tightening of the Head Studs/Bolts. 2 out of the 4 were slightly loose. The center packing on the Head also needs to be of better quality to prevent such re-occurences. Maybe they will do that in a 2nd recall... Lolz.

The bike was thoroughly washed around the engine area

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-oil-leak-repaired-18072016-842kms_1.jpg

Did a brisk 40km ride today after resolution with 120+ speeds to check out the same.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-oil-leak-repaired-18072016-842kms_4.jpg

No top up of oil was required as the leakage was a few ml as I mentioned and no more oil leakage was visible

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-oil-leak-repaired-18072016-842kms_2.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-oil-leak-repaired-18072016-842kms_3.jpg

Fingers crossed for now. The technician assured me that it will be tightened once more after another 100kms or so and then it should never re-occur. Hope he is right.

Also a revelation about the idle fuel mixture screw (not to be confused with the idle speed setting knob). It's just not about only setting the idle mixture but it does also effect the top whack and fuel efficiency of the bike too, as I had speculated earlier. I set it today @2.5 turns from fully closed and the bike was running lean. Also it struggled to reach 120. Adjusted it back to 3 turns and bang, the acceleration and top whack was back. Same will be helpful to adjust in the rarified conditions of Leh unlike what many of us may presume till now. Just an observation...

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-idle-air-mixture-screw.jpg

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks